Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Hi all !

As i am soon moving to a new flat, I am thinking about getting a new desk. I have picked two in the IKEA catalog, what do you think ? I want to put my 24' alu imac on it...

Attachments

• 0096186_PE235720_S4.JPG
    0096186_PE235720_S4.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 203
  • bureau-vika-glasholm-d-ikea-476205.jpg
    bureau-vika-glasholm-d-ikea-476205.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 317

dundonald

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
doon the walk
You'll regret getting No1

They may have changed slightly since I had one of those, but they are really badly build and get pretty wobbly after a year. Mind you it was cheap as chips and when it's time came, it made great kindling. Also as the previous poster mentioned the legs are really annoying. Forever knee-capping yourself swiveling out of the chair!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
#1 has more functional legs but if the build quality is what the above poster says it is then #2 may be good. Invest in a duster because you'll probably drive yourself nuts with the dust daily, not to mention the finger prints.

I like glass table tops but I think at best I'd have to have one over a wood desk. Not to mention I'm a native Californian and glass anything is a recipe for disaster.

dundonald

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
doon the walk
I may have been overly harsh in my write off of No1. Jessica is right in that it has more practical legs. The ability to set your own height and angle is great.(Not sure this would be a good idea with an imac though!) My real bone of contention was that I had a tower, so although they fit, the dvd tray would foul the legs. The shelves would be good for NAS, etc though.

Jessica: Eeek! The idea of toughened glass shattering during a tremor whilst you are fishing around with cables doesn't bear thinking about.

savoirfaire

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2003
New England
I agree that with #1 the legs do take up a fair bit of room. #2 is a little too flowery for me, though, I have to say. I got the Galant desk from Ikea because it's so customizable and every time I move, I can reconfigure it to maximize my usage of the available space.

Pau.c

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
i saw the second one yesterday and believe me, that is the one you should get its gorgeous! me and the GF fell in love with it :)

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
The thing I like in the first one -an which you might have not noticed- is that there is a light table incorporated. It sounds very arty, like a cartoon illustrator etc. Even I would have nothing to do with this functionality I fancy it lol

Still I will try to get the second one with better feet

Yakuza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Lisbon, Portugal
well that depends.

the glass one the mouse will not work. the first one, yeah it's nice, but like someone as allready said dose legs look annooying, and ugly, the table as that glassy part thingy, if you will not use it for drawing on paper, it just will take space.

rather than that they all look good, got one myself second ou third one lol

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I have picked two in the IKEA catalog

Have you only seen them in a catalogue?
Better to have a look proper.

The 1st one I considered myself a while back. But the "lightbox" is really just a gimmick taking up space and I didn't get it.

Although that is not to be taken as a recommendation for the 2nd one. ;)

Go have a look in the store.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Neither. The first looks like it belongs in a woodworking shop. The second belongs in a hairdressing shop. YMMV

Agreed, I don't care for either of them. I like to have some drawers in my desk to put in all the crap that would otherwise lay onto of the desk.

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
The second one if those are your only choices. I personally have the Galant desk and love it. the legs are not in the way and they are hight adjustable too.

nava

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2009
Definitely #2, but it is also too messy looking, i like it simple and clean.

This is what im going to get

Attachments

• dinah_tp_laat_val.jpg
    dinah_tp_laat_val.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 133

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
... Jessica: Eeek! The idea of toughened glass shattering during a tremor whilst you are fishing around with cables doesn't bear thinking about.

Never mind a tremor. If anything breaks the glass, your 24" iMac hits the floor. Better have good backups (and thick carpets!)

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Never mind a tremor. If anything breaks the glass, your 24" iMac hits the floor. Better have good backups (and thick carpets!)

Ouch.... never never ever say this again ! :eek: Such a frightening thought !!! I hope this will never happen... fingers crossed !!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.