Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mountainman58

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
:mad: I was keeping my Itouch in my pocket - as you do, with no case and the glass cracked for no apparent reason. There was no trauma in terms of a drop. Has anyone else out there had this experience?
It seams to me the case or the glass or the combination of the two together are not fit for purpose if they crack for no apparent reason under normal handling?

holland

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2006
Yeah that happened to my iPod Touch. I wasn't sure why mine had cracked. I never had dropped it and never put much pressure on the screen.

Jhanson09

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2009
kansas city, mo
this happened to me this weekend, but i dropped it on a garage floor wiht no case on it. so this time it was def my fault.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2009-10-12 at 4.18.48 PM.png
    Screen shot 2009-10-12 at 4.18.48 PM.png
    231 KB · Views: 63

OriginalFormula

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2009
:mad: I was keeping my Itouch in my pocket - as you do, with no case and the glass cracked for no apparent reason. There was no trauma in terms of a drop. Has anyone else out there had this experience?
It seams to me the case or the glass or the combination of the two together are not fit for purpose if they crack for no apparent reason under normal handling?

How's the climate where you live? Sudden shifts from hot to cold temperatures can cause glass to crack.

chris7777

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2008
I am thinking about getting one for my daughter for christmas(and possibly myself but the lack of camera has relegated it to my daughter and I will test hers out to see if the move is worth it or if I should wait and or get an iphone later)
And I was going to ask about cracked touch screens, as I have seen A lot of cracked iphone screens, just something I have noticed looking at them.

Now granted I have carried a palm for years wo a cracked screen, but I have also only rarely seen others with palms vs the ever increasing iphone user as well.

Does applecare cover this ?

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Does applecare cover this ?

No, Apple doesn't cover any sort of damage that could have possibly been caused my misuse. There may be a very small percentage of people whose screens do crack "for no reason" (depending on how varying your climate is, as mentioned above, for example), but 99.9% of people with cracked screens will have accidentally dropped or sat upon their device or done something to cause it. Same goes for dents, scratches, etc.

I've owned three 'brand new' iPod touch's - and now have an iPhone - and have never, ever had any sort of problem with the glass screen.

Rampant.A.I.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2009
Apple doesn't cover accidental damage caused by something like dropping the iPod.

If there's no evidence of an impact that caused the break, they may cover it. My first gen Nano's screen cracked due to heat, and it's not inconceivable that the display and glass on an iPod Touch could crack under similar circumstances.

I would take it to an Apple store, but realize ahead of time that they're probably going to BS you because they don't like to deal with anything that can be written off as damage caused by misuse.

Your best bet is to call Applecare and send it in, which is how I got my Nano replaced with a refurb within a matter of days.

sravana

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
Texas
It seems to me that carrying a Touch in a pants pocket could expose the device to lateral and diagonal stresses, depending on how tight the pants are! :D

I'm sure that flexing in a pants pocket could cause a problem. Shirt pocket? Not so much.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.