Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
My mother called me yesterday to report that while driving home from work, she heard a loud CRACK! and thought it was a rock hitting her windshield. She couldn't find the source of noise until she got home and discovered her iPod touch screen was cracked. Anyone ever heard of this?

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
Never. I have had my iPod touch 2G for a year now and it has been through a lot. Something else must have caused this.

As much as I am sure you believe that, I can assure you that my mother is not the type of person to make stuff like that up. Sure something else could have happened to it and maybe she did not know it, but I don't think it warrants discounting her recollection altogether.

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
She just called me from the Apple Store. Apparently they are letting her swap her broken iPod Touch for an iPhone. Sounds like they believed her.

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Maybe this could happen if the device experienced a quick change in temperature.

And the Apple store replaced the iPod with an iPhone? That doesn't make sense!

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
Maybe this could happen if the device experienced a quick change in temperature.

And the Apple store replaced the iPod with an iPhone? That doesn't make sense!

She said there was no quick change in temperature, as she lives in North Carolina and had the Touch in her purse. She said it wasn't a very hot or cold day and she was just driving home from work like usual. The reason they replaced it with the iPhone is because she said she was concerned about having a potentially explosive device around her 2 year old grand daughter. So they gave her an iPhone with a $15 credit (iPod Touch was $229 before taxes, iPhone was $199 before taxes).

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
How weird!

There was nothing sharp in her purse?
Did she do anything different the day the screen broke?
Was there any way the purse could have had exsessive pressure on it?

This is very mysterious... How long had she had the device before it broke?

If it was a manufacturing fault then I think it would have popped up sooner rather than later.

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
How weird!

There was nothing sharp in her purse?
Did she do anything different the day the screen broke?
Was there any way the purse could have had exsessive pressure on it?

This is very mysterious... How long had she had the device before it broke?

If it was a manufacturing fault then I think it would have popped up sooner rather than later.

She is very careful with her electronics, and she actually keeps her keys on a clip hanging outside her purse to keep them from scratching her iPod. The purse was sitting by itself in the seat behind her. She said it frightened the life out of her when it cracked and described the sound as a "shotgun" going off (which i personally think is a bit of an extreme description). I don't see how she could accidentally put anything heavy enough on her purse to crush the screen either way. The apple store actually commented on the fact that the iPod touch was in pristine condition and there were no signs of impact damage causing the fracture to the screen.

She had almost had it for a year when it broke, she had purchased AppleCare and the extended portion had not even kicked in yet. So they transferred the AppleCare to the iPhone for her.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
She is very careful with her electronics, and she actually keeps her keys on a clip hanging outside her purse to keep them from scratching her iPod. The purse was sitting by itself in the seat behind her. She said it frightened the life out of her when it cracked and described the sound as a "shotgun" going off (which i personally think is a bit of an extreme description). I don't see how she could accidentally put anything heavy enough on her purse to crush the screen either way. The apple store actually commented on the fact that the iPod touch was in pristine condition and there were no signs of impact damage causing the fracture to the screen.

She had almost had it for a year when it broke, she had purchased AppleCare and the extended portion had not even kicked in yet. So they transferred the AppleCare to the iPhone for her.
She had to get a contract with her new iPhone right? iPod touches doe sometimes have bad batteries and explode, but so do iPhones. So an iPhone won't be much safer.

Exegesis48

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 2, 2009
She had to get a contract with her new iPhone right? iPod touches doe sometimes have bad batteries and explode, but so do iPhones. So an iPhone won't be much safer.

Yes, she had to sign up for a new plan (they were willing to sell her the phone without a plan as well though, for the unsubsidized amount). She was needing a new phone anyway. Her company is cutting back on the wireless plans that they offer their employees. Basically her boss told her not to use her company phone as much after work anymore, so at least the timing worked out in her favor.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I saw an article about this exact phenomenon some time ago, so it does happen. I would have to search around to find it, try google, it's out there.

gemmamac

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
cracked screen

This happened to me about 6 weeks ago. My son handed me his ipod touch- we were at an ice skating rink. i put it in my feather jacket pocket. The ipod was in a leather case with a screen protector. When we went outside we opened it up and there were cracks right across the screen. They start from an impact spot which has put a hole through the screen protector. This hole is right under the leather framing the ipod- I dont know how, but it happened spontaneously. There was no sound that I heard and no impact- but I have benn told by the Sydney Apple store categorically that this kind of "spontaneous cracking" is impossible. They will not replace and we are stuck having paid $400 for the ipod and now $200 to replace it. I would love to see a picture of some of these cracks as they have argued that the "webbing out" of the crack proves that it was physical damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.