PDA

View Full Version : ATV going to be discontinued!

foofan
Oct 12, 2009, 09:38 PM
I just got word from a reliable source, that they ATV will be discontinued in favor of a new version of the mac mini.

This new mini will also act as an ATV. Apple's research team has realized that it makes more sense to combine the two. they've noticed many users opting for the mini as a media device instead of the ATV

This new mini will have some sort of switch that will let the owner decide if box will startup as a mac or ATV. That way if owner likes the ATV, having it switched to that startup mode will prevent them from having to interact with a mac desktop, and vice-versa.

FamiliaPhoto
Oct 12, 2009, 10:08 PM
Interesting, wondering if this is true.

Been holding off on ATV as I've been thinking a new one will come out for the holidays. I wonder how much more than the current version it will cost if the above is true.

DoFoT9
Oct 12, 2009, 10:11 PM
thats a very out there claim.

i sure hope its true :p

gilkisson
Oct 12, 2009, 10:16 PM
I hope it is true... I also hope it isn't.

I just bought a refurb 40GB Apple TV, been playing with it all evening. It's actually quite an amazing device! As I type, I'm using AirTunes to use my TV as speakers to play my favorite playlist. Been HandBraking all week, getting movies ready. Doing photo shows. Fun fun.

If it is true, I will be looking at yet another purchase.

If it isn't true, I'll be bummed, as I won't be looking at yet another purchase. If a two-year-old ATV is this cool, I'm really looking forward to the next version.

Revelation78
Oct 12, 2009, 10:19 PM
Well, I have a very reliable source that says your very reliable source is wrong...

Pure BS, a switch - a 5 year old can think of a better design behind a false rumor.

foofan
Oct 12, 2009, 10:25 PM
A "Switch" is just slang for now, since we don't know exactly. it maybe done via the remote. Push one button and it starts as an ATv. Push another to start as a mac.

Also talk of a touch screen remote. use your finger to swipe to the desktop screen, swipe again to get ATv screen. Will look sort of like mac desktop when you switch btw users.

DoFoT9
Oct 12, 2009, 10:27 PM
i think they should call it FrontRow

:rolleyes:

jaw04005
Oct 12, 2009, 10:29 PM
Won’t happen, period.

They target two completely different groups, and Apple hasn’t tried to market the Mac mini as an HTPC since they introduced it in February of 2006.

The Mac mini is too difficult to setup and maintain as a set-top box for the average consumer.

dynaflash
Oct 12, 2009, 10:37 PM
The Mac mini is too difficult to setup and maintain as a set-top box for the average consumer.

... and a step further ... if there was a "switch" and I am using it as an atv ... then why would I want to pay the mini's price for basically an atv ? Not saying its not true ... just have no idea why they would do it .

foofan
Oct 12, 2009, 10:38 PM
mac mini criterion. Affordable mac that brings the movie theater to your living room.

bmb012
Oct 12, 2009, 10:38 PM
They just need to add HDMI ports to mac minis. And let them stream multi-channel audio through them.

dynaflash
Oct 12, 2009, 10:40 PM
hmm, according to "reliable sources" the iPod Touch would get a camera ..... ;)

hitekalex
Oct 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
This new mini will have some sort of switch that will let the owner decide if box will startup as a mac or ATV.

That gave me a good chuckle! Sounds exactly like something Apple would do! /sarcasm

GoCubsGo
Oct 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
I just got word from a reliable source, that they ATV will be discontinued in favor of a new version of the mac mini.

This new mini will also act as an ATV. Apple's research team has realized that it makes more sense to combine the two. they've noticed many users opting for the mini as a media device instead of the ATV

This new mini will have some sort of switch that will let the owner decide if box will startup as a mac or ATV. That way if owner likes the ATV, having it switched to that startup mode will prevent them from having to interact with a mac desktop, and vice-versa.

A reliable source huh? In a pizzeria no doubt. :D Your info is bad son.

Compile 'em all
Oct 12, 2009, 10:53 PM
Sounds very very plausible and makes a lot of sense.

jaw04005
Oct 12, 2009, 10:59 PM
They just need to add HDMI ports to mac minis. And let them stream multi-channel audio through them.

And completely rewrite Mac OS X to be able to operate from a 10-foot interface for setup, navigation and interaction.

And it’ll need new over-scan correction tools to fix problems with HDTVs that don’t support computer connections over HDMI or DVI.

And they’ll need to update Front Row to support built-in iTunes purchasing and YouTube.

And persuade the movie industry to allow HD rentals on Macs and PCs too, instead of just the Apple TV, because currently you can’t rent HD movies on Macs or PCs.

And iTunes will need to be updated to support syncing to the new Mac mini/Apple TV hybrid.

There’s a lot of “ands” there.

While the Mac mini makes a great enthusiast HTPC device, it’s not designed to be a set-top box. The Apple TV will be discontinued eventually — and replaced with the Apple TV 2 that includes a new embedded solution from PA Semi.

Fiveos22
Oct 12, 2009, 11:03 PM
Are they really going to bring back the emac?!

DoFoT9
Oct 12, 2009, 11:05 PM
^^^ and add BD support of course!! dont forget that

brmaki
Oct 12, 2009, 11:54 PM
This doesn't really seem all that far out to me.

gibbz
Oct 12, 2009, 11:59 PM
Will this make Safari any snappier?

MythicFrost
Oct 12, 2009, 11:59 PM
Will the prices go up a lot? 160GB ATV is only like $339 AU for me, would this freakish Mac Mini ATV fusion cost a lot more?

Kind Regards

CJS7070
Oct 13, 2009, 12:01 AM
Will the prices go up a lot? 160GB ATV is only like $339 AU for me, would this freakish Mac Mini ATV fusion cost a lot more?

Kind Regards

Exactly what I was going to say... People who just want the ATV functionality would end up paying for a Mac mini that they wouldn't need/use.

dynaflash
Oct 13, 2009, 12:02 AM

Kind Regards
No, they will lower the cost of the new macmini to $229 us. but only if you put the switch in atv mode. ;)

sorry couldn't resist.

MythicFrost
Oct 13, 2009, 12:58 AM
No, they will lower the cost of the new macmini to $229 us. but only if you put the switch in atv mode.

sorry couldn't resist.

That's a bit rude, there's no need for sarcasm :(, if the idea that the Mac Mini will become an ATV as well, then my question is perfectly valid.
I will not be buying an ATV if it becomes a Mac Mini and the price goes up.

I don't think this will happen, the ATV is designed just for being an ATV.
If it was a Mac Mini, couldn't we buy movies from iTunes, hook it up to the TV, and just watch the movies there?

Kind Regards

15danielp
Oct 13, 2009, 02:22 AM
I don't like posts that start with "I just got word from a reliable source," but this does make sense to me. I would like this if it was a nice ATV:MacMini hybrid.

The lack of a considerable update to both the ATV and Mac Mini hints to a possible collaboration of the two.

You know, adding a ATV interface to a Mac Mini powered machine in not unfeasible.

DoFoT9
Oct 13, 2009, 02:30 AM
I don't like posts that start with "I just got word from a reliable source," but this does make sense to me. I would like this if it was a nice ATV:MacMini hybrid.

The lack of a considerable update to both the ATV and Mac Mini hints to a possible collaboration of the two.

You know, adding a ATV interface to a Mac Mini powered machine in not unfeasible.

i think your forgetting that the ATV already is a Mac Mini hybrid!!

just a lower powered one :D

GermanSuplex
Oct 13, 2009, 07:09 AM
I really don't think Apple would expect people to pay $500 just to watch their purchased media on their TV. I think the Apple TV offers a good balance between price and performance.

I don't really see this as being true. If it is, I'll be surprised. A physical switch to determine if the mini starts up in a certain mode? Seems really out there to me. I think they'll either keep the current model or offer another version altogether at a similar, maybe slightly higher price.

Bevz
Oct 13, 2009, 07:42 AM
I think this would annoy the hell out of existing ATV owners as apple will basically be saying "your current ATV is obsolete, here's the new one... twice the physical size and twice as expensive!"

Also, MacMini owners would already have all the functionality of the ATV on existing Mini hardware if Apple just updated FrontRow! Although i wouldn't want them to mimic the ATV software exactly as it's got serious issues...

I can't imagine this is true; although i can't help feeling they should have gone down this route in the first place...

foofan
Oct 13, 2009, 08:22 AM
just emailed this google ad

DoFoT9
Oct 13, 2009, 08:27 AM
^^ whats your point OP? i see nothing different..

sishaw
Oct 13, 2009, 08:41 AM
I think this would annoy the hell out of existing ATV owners as apple will basically be saying "your current ATV is obsolete, here's the new one... twice the physical size and twice as expensive!"

Actually, as a current ATV owner, I understand that technology marches on. If Apple becomes static and doesn't improve its products, it will die as other companies catch up.

Having said that, I would expect Apple to possibly add dedicated media capabilities to the Mac mini, but to retain the ATV as a lower-cost option, much the way that it keeps the Shuffle and Classic in the iPod lineup.

rfrankl
Oct 13, 2009, 09:02 AM
I don't see this happening at all. What about people with an iMac and laptop already? They are not going to buy a mini. If anything happens, I think they will refresh the ATV in some fashion, but definitely not merge it.

gsadan
Oct 13, 2009, 09:30 AM
I'm an industrial / product design student, and keeping a close eye on apple alongside my education so far is telling me this: This is utter bollocks. The cost alone would be prohibitive and move Apples target market way up the scale from basically everyone that can operate a tv and has itunes to mac enthusiast. The two points in the market are VERY far apart.

Hawkeye411
Oct 13, 2009, 09:37 AM
Here is a photo I got from a reliable source. It's the switch on the back of the new Apple Mini/ATV that, according to the original poster, "will let the owner decide if box will startup as a mac or ATV. That way if owner likes the ATV, having it switched to that startup mode will prevent them from having to interact with a mac desktop, and vice-versa.'

http://www.foxnomad.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/giant-off-switch.jpg

Tilpots
Oct 13, 2009, 09:51 AM
OP-

Please quit claiming that you have inside information. This is the second one I've seen recently from you. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=796203) Spreading false rumors is against forum policies. If you have a wish or desire you'd like to share about the ATV, please just state it as a wish or desire.

Your lies get you nowhere.

trip1ex
Oct 13, 2009, 09:55 AM
Apple needs to get the price of the ATV down, not jack it up.

MovieCutter
Oct 13, 2009, 10:26 AM
There are more interesting ways to get attention...it's a stupid idea any way for a ton of reasons.....

jeremy.king
Oct 13, 2009, 10:39 AM
Spreading false rumors is against forum policies.

Really? If every rumor were true, this site would be called MacFacts. It's a rumor - OP did nothing wrong here with his/her speculating.

jaw04005
Oct 13, 2009, 11:07 AM
Really? If every rumor were true, this site would be called MacFacts. It's a rumor - OP did nothing wrong here with his/her speculating.

I would look back the OPís post history before being so quick to defend him/her. There appears to be a trend developing.

jeremy.king
Oct 13, 2009, 11:11 AM
I would look back the OPís post history before being so quick to defend him/her. There appears to be a trend developing.

Who cares? We're entitled to our opinions.

dmm219
Oct 13, 2009, 11:53 AM
I can definitely see the ATV getting discontinued. I can also see adding the functionality to the Mini.

However, this would would apple admitting total defeat in the living room. Nobody is going to pay $500+ for a TV box anymore, not when people can get a $100 roku or $200 360 or $300 ps3.

Apple has continued to botch the living room miserably, so I don't put it past them to do something this stupid...we'll see...

hitekalex
Oct 13, 2009, 11:54 AM

Sure we are entitled to opinions and predictions, but they must be stated as such.. This whole ridiculous claim about "dual-personality Mini with a switch" was presented as a rumor from presumably a legitimate source with inside Apple knowledge. Let me show you what I mean:

Opinion: I think/wish/desire/hope that Apple discontinues ATV and releases dual-personality Mini
Unsubstantiated Claim: According to my reliable source, Apple will discontinue ATV and release dual-personality Mini.

You see the difference?

The OP has no track record of valid Apple inside info/rumors. And therefore neither him/her nor his "reliable source" have any credibility to me. In fact, this whole thread is a waste of time, I can't believe it's spilled into 2 pages now.

Dapness
Oct 13, 2009, 12:04 PM

Wrong! The last thing I want to do is read through a bunch of posts from a bogus thread that someone decided to start on a whim.

Imagine I posted something like "I heard from a relaible source that Apple was donig away with Firewire on all 2010 Macs" just so I could go back in a couple days and laugh at the ***** storm I just created.

This sort of behavior is petty and unwanted in these forums.

If this was the intention of the OP then thats pretty weak in my opinion. However if there truely is a possibility that this unlikely marriage will happen then I'd entertain the idea.

Whatever the case I hope Apple does something soon as I'm egerly awaiting a mini or ATV update for my HTPC needs. I check the Apple store site daily in hopes to snatch up a 2.0 ghz / 9400m mini refurb to get my plex on.

jcuk
Oct 13, 2009, 12:06 PM
Interesting rumour, I don't understand why it needs a switch and seperate product.

Just incorporate the software as an application in os x and run it as an application, then have an option to have the application run on login or machine boot, same as mce

Tilpots
Oct 13, 2009, 12:08 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, as I stated in my post, but this is not what the OP's post is about. And it is against Forum rules. I'm not the Forum Police by any means, but I don't think this OP should continue to post out and out lies to stir up discussion. Somebody might actually believe him...

MacRumors Forum rules (http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules)

Knowingly posting false information is also prohibited.

This is the proper place to submit News/Rumors:

Submit News/Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/site.php?mode=submit)

amd4me
Oct 13, 2009, 12:09 PM
ATV is a ****ing dog and has been complete flop so far. I know all of you guys and gals like to drink the kool aid. But ATV is a POS. 40GB. Are they kidding? What is this 2001?

hitekalex
Oct 13, 2009, 12:14 PM
ATV is a ****ing dog and has been complete flop so far. I know all of you guys and gals like to drink the kool aid. But ATV is a POS. 40GB. Are they kidding? What is this 2001?

Another well-researched and well-articulated post :rolleyes:

Dapness
Oct 13, 2009, 12:21 PM

Haha, it does seem to be made of parts laying around from '01 for sure but I've had mine since it's inception. Liked it at first, hacked it to add external storage and ability to play all kinds of formats, now I love it. Never had a problem with it. Super easy to use for my not so tech savvy wife :)

Griffter
Oct 13, 2009, 12:24 PM
Wooo things are getting heated in here. Nothing wrong with debate, but calling someone a lier seems a little harsh, even if their a kid trying to get attention.

Can anyone categorically stand and say that this is a lie and has evidence to show that?

NightStorm
Oct 13, 2009, 12:28 PM

Should I feel bad that my 40GB AppleTV has ~99% of its usable hard drive capacity empty, yet I use it everyday? Personally, I hope they do away with it and replace it with a smaller SSD for buffering.

hitekalex
Oct 13, 2009, 12:28 PM
Can anyone categorically stand and say that this is a lie and has evidence to show that?

I saw a purple spaghetti monster flying over my house last night. Can you show me the evidence that it's a lie? Didn't think so..

The burden of proof is on the one making the claim. In the absence of proven track record, his claim is basically trolling at best..

TheCheapGeek
Oct 13, 2009, 12:36 PM
Apple will always have an Apple TV type product. Normal people, that buy iPods and iPhones, need something super easy to set up and use from their couch. A mac mini is to complicated for most people. That being said I think set top boxes in general are still a little bit to complicated to use and set up for the average person.

amd4me
Oct 13, 2009, 12:38 PM
Another well-researched and well-articulated post :rolleyes:
I can appreciate sarcasm, but only if it is funny or exceptionally cutting. You fail in both regards. Not only are you pedantic and entirely boring, you are also a hypocrite that seems to have zero grasp of the English language{we are speaking it}.Now that you have made it painstakingly clear that you went to public school, please leave the adults to talk.
Haha, it does seem to be made of parts laying around from '01 for sure but I've had mine since it's inception. Liked it at first, hacked it to add external storage and ability to play all kinds of formats, now I love it. Never had a problem with it. Super easy to use for my not so tech savvy wife :)
I have just never understood the appeal. It is expensive and cant do half of the things that almost all devices can do. Even Xbox 360s can do most of the things the ATV can. It has no place in the market when it is outclassed by ALL of its competitors.

Should I feel bad that my 40GB AppleTV has ~99% of its usable hard drive capacity empty, yet I use it everyday? Personally, I hope they do away with it and replace it with a smaller SSD for buffering.
That would be nice. And I'm sure expensive. So apple wont do it.:(

VirtualRain
Oct 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
Reported to the moderators. I suggest other's who feel similarly about this kind of BS do similarly.

amd4me
Oct 13, 2009, 12:43 PM
Reported to the moderators. I suggest other's who feel similarly about this kind of BS do similarly.
Reported what? That some guy picked a fight with me for no reason?

Peace
Oct 13, 2009, 12:45 PM

You do realize this is Mac Rumors don't you?
There are a lot of people on here that blow hot air all the time. Just because one poster says he/she knows something it doesn't mean it's real or unreal.

Please don't take this stuff so seriously. I'm sure the moderators feel the same way.

FamiliaPhoto
Oct 13, 2009, 12:47 PM

If you want all your media on the device I agree that 40 GB is not sufficient, in fact 160 GB is not adequate either. For those of us that stream it over the network who cares what the storage is. In that context functionality is what it is all about.

amd4me
Oct 13, 2009, 01:00 PM
If you want all your media on the device I agree that 40 GB is not sufficient, in fact 160 GB is not adequate either. For those of us that stream it over the network who cares what the storage is. In that context functionality is what it is all about.
Well I agree. But for so many of us that love HD content 40BG is insufficient for more than 3 movies and streaming HD winds up not looking quite right. I just don't get it, and apparently alot of other people don't get it either. It has been a REALLY slow mover.

What ever happened to single source content? jeeze.

hitekalex
Oct 13, 2009, 01:09 PM
I can appreciate sarcasm, but only if it is funny or exceptionally cutting. You fail in both regards.

Right, as opposed to the gems you have offered thus far to this discussion: "ATV is a ****ing dog".. "ATV is a POS". Got any other similarly brilliant insights you care to share with us?

I have seen arguments from my 9 year old that are better reasoned and articulated. Please do us all a favor and go away.

amd4me
Oct 13, 2009, 01:11 PM
Right, as opposed to the gems you have offered thus far to this discussion: "ATV is a ****ing dog".. "ATV is a POS". Got any other similarly brilliant insights you care to share with us?

I have seen arguments from my 9 year old that are better reasoned and articulated. Please do us all a favor and go away.
Do you know what I do for a living?

xlii
Oct 13, 2009, 01:15 PM

Ok, I'll bite... what do you do for a living?

MovieCutter
Oct 13, 2009, 01:17 PM
<goes to make popcorn>

NightStorm
Oct 13, 2009, 01:20 PM
Well I agree. But for so many of us that love HD content 40BG is insufficient for more than 3 movies and streaming HD winds up not looking quite right. I just don't get it, and apparently alot of other people don't get it either. It has been a REALLY slow mover.

I love HD content... I've encoded many Bluray and HDDVD discs for my AppleTV. And I don't store a single one of them on the device itself, so again 99% of the usable hard drive space is empty.

Are we supposed to care? :confused:

hitekalex
Oct 13, 2009, 01:21 PM
<goes to make popcorn>

LOL.. Yeah, I bet it's going to be good! I have never heard of people on the Internet forums claiming the unquestionable expertise due to their occupation!

*starts drumroll*

Hawkeye411
Oct 13, 2009, 01:23 PM

I have a 40GB ATV and most of my content is stored on my computer and iTunes automatically syncs new episodes to the ATV and automatically removes episodes or movies from the ATV after I have viewed them which frees up room on the ATV HD. I also installed a 250GB external HD where I store .avi movies for viewing on the ATV.

Personally, I think it's a great device and the HD size is fine. But ... it's not for everyone.

Cheers.

BrianKonarsMac
Oct 13, 2009, 02:08 PM
hmm, according to "reliable sources" the iPod Touch would get a camera ..... ;)
That "reliable source" was right - the iPod Touch did have a camera... there were prototypes with cameras shown on this very sight... and manufactures even designed cases for the iPod Touch with a camera (also found on this site)... Apple changed their minds at the last minute.

Here's a hint - unless you are designing the replacement to the apple tv nobody cares. If people really cared to know what you did for a living, I imagine they would.

Cuthbert
Oct 13, 2009, 02:27 PM

I'm guessing this is about on your level of expertise.

http://onlyfunnyjokes.com/bestoftheweb/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/worlds-worst-jobs-2.jpg

If you can dish it out, you must be collecting it from somewhere...

gugy
Oct 13, 2009, 03:00 PM
I am skeptical about this rumor.
But,

I do think AppleTV is on the last legs as it's current format. Either Apple comes with an entirely new way to approach the HTPC or they will indeed pass the ball to a alternative MacMini suited mostly for media center. With HDMI, 5.1 audio out, support for external hard drives and 1080p.
Also it has to be cheaper than the current Mini. Maybe at $300 tops.

I believe Apple is paying attention to most folks that are transforming their Mini and bringing it into the entertainment room. I wish they will come with simple solutions on the hardware and software front to bring a Mac HTPC to life.

papagrande
Oct 13, 2009, 03:05 PM

I will go out a limb here. Some combination of the following: surgeon, professional athlete, super spy, astronaut or indian chief.

dynaflash
Oct 13, 2009, 03:20 PM
That "reliable source" was right - the iPod Touch did have a camera... there were prototypes with cameras shown on this very sight... and manufactures even designed cases for the iPod Touch with a camera (also found on this site)... Apple changed their minds at the last minute.
while its a bit tit for tat, my point was rumors are just rumors. nothing more and nothing less. no matter how well they are supposedly founded. We currently do not have an iPod Touch with a camera and as you pointed out ... those rumors were well founded too. It will be what it will be and I seriously doubt anyone here has any inside info. But otoh what do I know ? ;)

below sea level
Oct 13, 2009, 03:42 PM

Please let me know if you start feeling bad, because I'll need to do the same thing. I just checked both of my Apple TVs and they're only using around 100MB each. Most of that is photos.

kiranmk2
Oct 13, 2009, 05:15 PM
Of course the ATV as we know it is on it's last legs. Apple's already ran out of 40 GB IDE hard drives and I'm betting the Crofton cpu is getting harder to buy in bulk as I'm sure Intel would prefer to convert that production line to an Atom line to bump up their profits.

Given the growing competition from things like the WD HD box which are undercutting Apple on price (by a long way - the WD is £80 to the ATV's £219 in the UK), but supports 1080p and more containers. The new WD box has wifi/Lan and supports more net applications and is still cheaper, so I can't believe Apple would be wanting to increase the price of their media box.

Most people who buy the ATV want a way to stream videos, music and pictures to their TV. People who buy the Mac Mini want a small computer that's portable but powerful. There is a very small percentage of people who want an HTPC - just look at how badly MS did when trying to get Windows MCE into the living room.

gugy
Oct 13, 2009, 05:22 PM
=
Given the growing competition from things like the WD HD box which are undercutting Apple on price (by a long way - the WD is £80 to the ATV's £219 in the UK), but supports 1080p and more containers. The new WD box has wifi/Lan and supports more net applications and is still cheaper, so I can't believe Apple would be wanting to increase the price of their media box.

I am seriously considering the new WD HD Live box. The price is right and seems to be simple enough to satisfy my needs.

http://www.wdtvlive.com/products/wdtv_live#highlights

Watch out Apple!

MythicFrost
Oct 13, 2009, 05:29 PM
Who needs Apple TV when we get to watch people argue in threads like this lolz. "BUDGET ATV FREE" - just watch rumour threads in forums :D

Bevz
Oct 13, 2009, 06:00 PM
Did anyone ever find out what amd4me did for a living? I'd love to know.... lol - it's like someone telling you a joke but not revealing the punchline... ;)
My guess is English Professor... LOL ;)

VirtualRain
Oct 13, 2009, 06:04 PM
You do realize this is Mac Rumors don't you?
There are a lot of people on here that blow hot air all the time. Just because one poster says he/she knows something it doesn't mean it's real or unreal.

Please don't take this stuff so seriously. I'm sure the moderators feel the same way.

I guess it's a fine line, but this is at least the 2nd time this guy has posted some "insider information" that's obviously bogus. It's clearly against forum rules on two counts... see post #45. I'm not trying to be the forum police (although sometimes that would be nice :p ) but it is really bad form.

MovieCutter
Oct 13, 2009, 06:18 PM
Did anyone ever find out what amd4me did for a living? I'd love to know.... lol - it's like someone telling you a joke but not revealing the punchline... ;)
My guess is English Professor... LOL ;)

I'm awaiting the epic answer as well

sanPietro98
Oct 13, 2009, 07:12 PM
Then it will be either an overpriced Apple TV or an underpowered Mac mini (more so than it is now). The price gap between the current ATV and the Mini is pretty big.

Peace
Oct 13, 2009, 07:22 PM
I guess it's a fine line, but this is at least the 2nd time this guy has posted some "insider information" that's obviously bogus. It's clearly against forum rules on two counts... see post #45. I'm not trying to be the forum police (although sometimes that would be nice :p ) but it is really bad form.

First off. How do you know it's "obviously bogus" ? You nor I know that for a fact.

Secondly if you will notice the moderators have done nothing. So like I said before. Relax. It's just the internet.:)

jaw04005
Oct 13, 2009, 07:50 PM
First off. How do you know it's "obviously bogus" ? You nor I know that for a fact.

Secondly if you will notice the moderators have done nothing. So like I said before. Relax. It's just the internet.:)

Thatís because like the rest of us theyíre waiting to see what amd4me does for a living.

Peace
Oct 13, 2009, 09:02 PM
Thatís because like the rest of us theyíre waiting to see what amd4me does for a living.

amd4me isn't the OP of this topic.

15danielp
Oct 13, 2009, 09:06 PM
No need for moderators. The great thing about the internet is that if you dont like what you see, you can move along--quietly. There is no need for four pages of posts about how much you dont like the thread.

Does anyone want to know what I do for a living? It may or may not make me more or less qualified to post in this forum or any others in the internet.

akbc
Oct 13, 2009, 10:03 PM

I stopped reading right there.
Combining the two and dropping Mac Mini's low-end price tag to somewhat match the ATV? sounds great. But a switch? Really?
Why would you pay a Mac Mini price if ALL YOU WANT is an ATV?

Anyways, they should make something like a wii remote for these darn devices so we can just point and click things instead of "navigating" with arrow keys or something... The new LG LED TV has a wii-remote like remote control to control DTV contents and movies...
Why shouldn't the ATV implement the idea of it? It would make "internet surfing on TV" much easier with a wireless keyboard and an "air mouse" to complement it(if done right). Or just put the wireless keyboard and multi-touch trackpad together, instead of the 10-key.

And let's not get started with "oh no, there's already the Logitech MX Air" cuz that was a bag of hurt... It's sitting in my closet somewhere...

sammich
Oct 13, 2009, 10:09 PM
Who needs the ATV when you can just grab one of these?

http://gizmodo.com/5374225/toshibas-cell+powered-regza-55x1-lcd-tv-can-record-and-display-8-channels-at-once

All at the nice price of....40 ATVs?

amd4me
Oct 13, 2009, 10:09 PM
LOL.. Yeah, I bet it's going to be good! I have never heard of people on the Internet forums claiming the unquestionable expertise due to their occupation!

*starts drumroll*

Do you know who my father is?

jim.arrows
Oct 13, 2009, 10:16 PM
Do you know who my father is?

Vader? so you're a Jedi Knight for a living?

amd4me
Oct 13, 2009, 10:18 PM
Vader? so you're a Jedi Knight for a living?
I was asking you.
I don't know him either.:(

DoFoT9
Oct 13, 2009, 10:24 PM
Who needs the ATV when you can just grab one of these?

http://gizmodo.com/5374225/toshibas-cell+powered-regza-55x1-lcd-tv-can-record-and-display-8-channels-at-once

All at the nice price of....40 ATVs?

you just made me mess up!!!!!

that is incredible! forget the ATV im saving for this baby!

Peace
Oct 13, 2009, 10:30 PM
you just made me mess up!!!!!

that is incredible! forget the ATV im saving for this baby!

By the time you save up the $11,000 price tag there will have been 20 Mini/ATV revisions!:p

DoFoT9
Oct 13, 2009, 10:32 PM
By the time you save up the $11,000 price tag there will have been 20 Mini/ATV revisions!:p

how rude!! i am utterly offended!!

(but you're entirely correct lol)

sammich
Oct 13, 2009, 10:33 PM

Now if you think about it. You can either buy 20 maxxed mini's with a small array of LED LCD's. And each of those mini's can play back at least 1 1080p stream no probs.

Now all you need is a big enough all. And get the electrician in to put in a few more power points.

DoFoT9
Oct 13, 2009, 10:35 PM
Now if you think about it. You can either buy 20 maxxed mini's with a small array of LED LCD's. And each of those mini's can play back at least 1 1080p stream no probs.

Now all you need is a big enough all. And get the electrician in to put in a few more power points.

the mini can output 2xHD streams (there are two ports are there not?). so there, i just saved you half of your costs :p

sammich
Oct 13, 2009, 10:37 PM
the mini can output 2xHD streams (there are two ports are there not?). so there, i just saved you half of your costs :p

Yeah but now I need to have twice as many TV's to play all that new content on :(

DoFoT9
Oct 13, 2009, 10:41 PM
Yeah but now I need to have twice as many TV's to play all that new content on :(

no no silly, use the same amount of TVs, just buy half the amount of minis!

sammich
Oct 13, 2009, 10:48 PM
no no silly, use the same amount of TVs, just buy half the amount of minis!

Now where's the fun in that? Imagine, a giant wall of TV's, and sound plays out from the one that you are looking at. THAT would be awesome. An ATV with Natal.

DoFoT9
Oct 13, 2009, 10:50 PM
Now where's the fun in that? Imagine, a giant wall of TV's, and sound plays out from the one that you are looking at. THAT would be awesome. An ATV with Natal.

interesting concept.

"the all new appleTV, now with built in iSight" :rolleyes:

TheMadCow
Oct 13, 2009, 11:56 PM
I can appreciate sarcasm, but only if it is funny or exceptionally cutting. You fail in both regards. Not only are you pedantic and entirely boring:(

And you, Sir, are a bag of hot air. Stick a pin in it. Using 50 cent words does not a scholar make.

DoFoT9
Oct 13, 2009, 11:59 PM
And you, Sir, are a bag of hot air. Stick a pin in it. Using 50 cent words does not a scholar make.

and talking like yoda makes it very hard for us tired uni people to understand you! haha

butchseaman
Oct 15, 2009, 04:44 PM
This would be great. I am itching to buy a :apple:tv but holding off ...
I sure hope this is true :)