Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you access your Gmail?

• Through Apple Mail (IMAP)

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Online only

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Online (but I use the Gmail notifier)

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I use Mobile Me

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Gmail Users: Do you access your gmail only online, or do you use Apple Mail???

I've been using Apple mail for my Gmail for a few years now (IMAP). However, I didn't realize how messed up it left my Gmail online (Tabs are a mess, mail messages are getting lost...). I'm considering going back to online Gmail, but I also liked how Apple mail played nice with the iphone (since there's no Google GMAIL app for the iphone).

So, let me know how you access your Gmail!

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
i switched ot using Mail a few months ago because i couldn't stand the delay between an e-mail being sent and gmail notifier letting me know it was there, also everything just seems quicker using Mail.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
I recently purchased Mailplane, loving it and worth every penny. You get all the features of web-based Gmail, but in an app. Dock icon and menu bar icon badges are updated near instantly when getting new mail, unlike Gmail Notifier. I recommend downloading the trial.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
No option for it, but I use both. Mail at home and gmail online at work. The best thing I like about Mail is the red circle with the number of unread messages letting me know I have new mail and it's growl notifiers to let me know if I've received a message while at the computer.

ZachsMacDaddy

macrumors 6502
Dec 24, 2007
Maryland
I like the web interface, but I prefer to use Thunderbird 3.0 (beta 4 right now) in IMAP mode.

TB 3's tabbed interface is great too.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I like having a local copy of my mail messages.

You can have a local copy of all your messages even if you only use the web client. Gmail has a "Gmail offline" tool that automatically downloads everything to your computer and keeps it in an application identical to the Gmail interface. This works great if you only need the local copy for when you don't have web access. If you like the local copy as a sort of back up, though, then I see your point.

I've abandoned Mail.app and have been using the web interface for a year or two now. I have been using it on my laptop in an SSB, but I might have to give Mailplane a look.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
No option for it, but I use both. Mail at home and gmail online at work. The best thing I like about Mail is the red circle with the number of unread messages letting me know I have new mail and it's growl notifiers to let me know if I've received a message while at the computer.

Mailplane does the badge and Growl notifications. I'm not affiliated with the product or developer in any way. I just think it's a great balance of the web interface and a stand-alone application.

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Mailplane does the badge and Growl notifications. I'm not affiliated with the product or developer in any way. I just think it's a great balance of the web interface and a stand-alone application.

Looks cool, but $25 cool? I guess it's just not for me. Thanks for the info though...

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
I like the gmail interface too much. It has all these nifty features, like preview in html and opening it as a google doc document.

But on my ipod touch is do use the mail app. I like it better than the Phone interface from gmail. And I can read e-mails offline. So get the mail, and read it during a travel.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I don't use any of the other Google services right now, besides Gmail, so I have no compelling reason to use the web interface unless I need something only it can provide. Therefore, Gmail access through Mail IMAP works perfectly for my needs.

soccerjoe5

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
I've been also thinking about this. I'm a long time fan and user of the online interface. I like it, it's fast and easy to find specific mail messages. I also love how emails are treated as "conversations".

I'm very interested though in the integration of mail.app to the OS.

Do emails in mail.app also come out as "conversations"? And how is it in searching emails and overall speed?

Thanks!

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I've been also thinking about this. I'm a long time fan and user of the online interface. I like it, it's fast and easy to find specific mail messages. I also love how emails are treated as "conversations".

I'm very interested though in the integration of mail.app to the OS.

Do emails in mail.app also come out as "conversations"? And how is it in searching emails and overall speed?

Thanks!

Mail does a pretty good job of handling the mail (minus the tabs and such...). It is very quick, and works very well. Searching is great (you will have to sometimes open up the All Mail tab to get the result you're looking for), but overall it's a great program. The integration with the OS is one of the biggest advantages.

The problem I'm having (and the reason I brought this topic to the fore-front), is when using the online Gmail, you have issues. For one, unless you've uploaded all of your contacts to Google, you lose your address book. Also, like I said earlier, the way Mail and Gmail handle labels seems odd.

I'm up in the air as to what I like better!

soccerjoe5

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
Mail does a pretty good job of handling the mail (minus the tabs and such...). It is very quick, and works very well. Searching is great (you will have to sometimes open up the All Mail tab to get the result you're looking for), but overall it's a great program. The integration with the OS is one of the biggest advantages.

The problem I'm having (and the reason I brought this topic to the fore-front), is when using the online Gmail, you have issues. For one, unless you've uploaded all of your contacts to Google, you lose your address book. Also, like I said earlier, the way Mail and Gmail handle labels seems odd.

That's sad to hear. You lose the online address book or the one in mac osx?

Thanks for the input though! How does mail.app handle messages though? Is it old school type or are the messages handled like "conversations" like online gmail?

wayland1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
That's sad to hear. You lose the online address book or the one in mac osx?

Thanks for the input though! How does mail.app handle messages though? Is it old school type or are the messages handled like "conversations" like online gmail?

You don't lose anything, necessarily. I'm just saying you get used to the integration of Contacts and Apple Mail. So when you go online to Gmail, and go to look for a contact, it's not there (unless you upload your contacts to google's server).

As for message handling, it goes to single messages by default, but you can enable "thread viewing" which will give you a similar setup to Gmail online.

fourcolourblack

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Mail, all the way

I never use the browser based version, probably because I attach big files everyday and it sucks at this. At least with mail you can see your 5mb file sending while you do something else.

I've got to admit, the google articles in "how to setup" you Gmail account in Mail is dreadful. I've had to ignore and tweak my setup to get it right.

After playing around I found this thread which pretty much says the same things. I'll post a screen capture of my ideal set-up (at a friends house right now) so the internal Sent, Drafts, Junk folders are gone and these appear underneath Inbox where they should be.

http://db.tidbits.com/article/10253

Plus all the folders you create still sync perfectly with the browser based version.

TheRemoteGenius

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
Definitely via the Gmail site

For some reason, I've never been a big fan of mail clients. The gmail site does everything so well, there is absolutely no need to launch the mail client. Sometimes I'll accidentally click on an email link and it will launch the Mail client. I force quit immediately...

Really enjoy the themes too. So relaxing.

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
Quick question: If you use Mail (IMAP), do your msgs get stored on your computer too, or would you have to add POP Gmail account on your Mail for it to do so?

soccerjoe5

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008
mail.app vs google offline

I just installed Google Offline (via google gears). It sure looks interesting and it's like a "sure" way of using gmail without an internet connection. So no problems syncing and all, but you still don't have the OSX integration.

Has anyone compared it to using mail.app and imap?

fourcolourblack

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland
Maybe its just me but I find doing absolutely everything with apps better than through a browser. Using mail.app with the old POP accounts was pretty stupid, but IMAP has fixed that now for me.

Just find storing emails in folders within mail.app a much more solid way of sorting than the conversions google mail online does.

Each to their own I guess though.

Bear Hunter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2008

Snow Leopard allows you to sync your address book and calendar with Google so you don't loose anything :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.