Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you access your Gmail?

• Through Apple Mail (IMAP)

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Online only

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Online (but I use the Gmail notifier)

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • I use Mobile Me

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
i am not too sure of Mail.app....i abandoned using it few months ago...first of all..gmail has cool shortcuts..i like the way it labels stuff (more like tagging)..i like the conversation view in gmail...threaded view in mail just looks odd...

plus..its always better to go directly to the 'source'...why have a third party in between??..i remember...when i had a .Me account...messages i sent from the mail app were sent to the recipient's junk folder...but messages i sent from Me's web interface..used to land in the inbox....i think it has got to do something with the Mail.app not setting headers properly...

PLUS...Mail.app's junk filtering is not as good as Gmail's....

the only advantage of using the Mail.app is that u dnt get to see the pesky gmail ads....and that it is integrated with the OS..

jon08

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
i am not too sure of Mail.app....i abandoned using it few months ago...first of all..gmail has cool shortcuts..i like the way it labels stuff (more like tagging)..i like the conversation view in gmail...threaded view in mail just looks odd...

plus..its always better to go directly to the 'source'...why have a third party in between??..i remember...when i had a .Me account...messages i sent from the mail app were sent to the recipient's junk folder...but messages i sent from Me's web interface..used to land in the inbox....i think it has got to do something with the Mail.app not setting headers properly...

PLUS...Mail.app's junk filtering is not as good as Gmail's....

the only advantage of using the Mail.app is that u dnt get to see the pesky gmail ads....and that it is integrated with the OS..

What about Entourage? Is it any better in that?

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
What about Entourage? Is it any better in that?
i really hated it for the few weeks I tried it out...the display is really cluttered and it gives u an impression of too many things happening at the same time....since the UI itself was not too my taste..I abandoned it....so i am not aware of its nuts and bolts....

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
The online interface is miles beyond most e-mail apps. That's why I use Fluid to turn it into a desktop application so I can use it exactly as I would a regular e-mail app.

Gray-Wolf

macrumors 68030
Apr 19, 2008
Pandora, Home Tree
I prefer using a handler, as it filters out the junk mail, so that I don't even see that stuff, not the ones that are pre-filtered to the trash as well.

Keeps the mail I get to legit only.

Of course, I do check the online from time to time, to make sure a legit one doesn't get blocked.

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
The online interface is just perfect. Fast and easy to use. And I like to be able to switch computer and find the same layout etc.

The online interface is miles beyond most e-mail apps. That's why I use Fluid to turn it into a desktop application so I can use it exactly as I would a regular e-mail app.

I prefer using a handler, as it filters out the junk mail, so that I don't even see that stuff, not the ones that are pre-filtered to the trash as well.

Keeps the mail I get to legit only.

Of course, I do check the online from time to time, to make sure a legit one doesn't get blocked.

out of curiosity...wich version of Entourage are u guys using??

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Mail.app at home, iPhone's Mail app when out and about and webmail at work. i really really don't like the webmail ui though. it's kind of a mess..the only reason i use it is to spare the batter life on my iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.