Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
I bought a new iMac and ATV about two months ago. Everything worked fine out of the box. However, I no longer show ATV in my iTunes, music no longer streams downstairs to my stereo and ATVs screen is blank. I've tried using the ATV remote and nothing happens. I tried to unplug the ATV for a few minutes hoping to reboot/restart this piece of junk but nothing seems to be working. Any and all help would be appreciated.

jataga

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
Atlanta
this might help

I'm a PC user and over the past few days, my AppleTV has been dropping out of itunes for no what seemed to be no apparent reason. I loaded iTunes on different PCs, entered the access code in iTunes and every time, the AppleTV would drop out after about 5 minutes.

I was reading a little about WEP and other security settings and I remember that before i upgraded to a different access point, i was only using MAC address filtering and nothing else. When i installed the new access point, I didn't use MAC filtering and only WEP.

SOLUTION:
Something with the encryption i was using because i turned the encryption off and turned on MAC filtering. I need some type of security even though MAC filtering isn't that great. Anyway, it works like a charm. Apparently WEP or WPA doesn't work well with the latest versions of appleTV and/or iTunes.

I hope this helps.

B.A.T

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 16, 2009
Idaho
The diagnostics link helped me through this. Thanks to both of you for your help.

westernmass

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2007
Western Mass.
Mine has just been flashing orange and will not do anything. I have tried the reset and nothing. May have to go to Apple store but worried since got it second hand from a friend 

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Make sure to try the restarts! If that doesn't work swing by the Apple Store, whats the worse that could happen? You walk out with a new one?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.