PDA

View Full Version : EyeTV Easter Egg Allows for Video Streaming Via 3G Networks

MacRumors
Oct 16, 2009, 02:25 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/16/eyetv-easter-egg-allows-for-video-streaming-via-3g-networks/)

Electricpig reports (http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/10/16/eyetv-backdoor-opens-3g-tv-streaming-for-iphone/) that it has discovered an easter egg in the recently-released (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/09/29/eyetv-app-debuts-in-app-store/) EyeTV iPhone application from Elgato that allows the software to stream video content via 3G wireless networks.Elgato's EyeTV app requires you register your Mac to its free My EyeTV service in order to tap into broadcasts outside the house, but use it when your iPhone has only a 3G connection and you'll see an error pop up, warning that "Live TV playback requires a Wi-Fi network connection."

Tap the OK button, and the app will act as if it can't receive broadcasts. However, tap the text of the warning message instead, and the Eye TV app will stream live TV over a 3G connection.The report notes that the feature almost certainly went unnoticed by Apple's application reviewers and it is unclear how the company will react to its discovery.

Article Link: EyeTV Easter Egg Allows for Video Streaming Via 3G Networks (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/16/eyetv-easter-egg-allows-for-video-streaming-via-3g-networks/)

Unspoken Demise
Oct 16, 2009, 02:27 PM
It will be pulled. Sure, Apple probably doesnt care, but Im sure AT&T will have something to say about it.

yoman
Oct 16, 2009, 02:32 PM
This reminds me of the C64 emulator, which was pulled for a similar easter egg like feature of the BASIC interpreter.

BeyondtheTech
Oct 16, 2009, 02:33 PM
http://www.myhava.com/havamobileplayer.html?Submit6.x=53&Submit6.y=16

Slingbox-like HAVA allegedly plays video over 3G.

I might switch over if I can find a buyer for my Slingbox Classic.

Ted13
Oct 16, 2009, 02:44 PM
But so long as you keep a copy of the current version of EyeTV you are in business! Wonder if you can have multiple versions of the same app on your iPhone if you rename it manually -- keep the existing one for 3G streaming, get newer ones for whatever future features get added (Remote control, please!)

vvebsta
Oct 16, 2009, 02:45 PM
so cool!

Eddyisgreat
Oct 16, 2009, 02:47 PM
LoL Elgato FTMFW! Now I can watch TV in my car, on the bus or in a train!

Cartoonkid
Oct 16, 2009, 02:49 PM
But so long as you keep a copy of the current version of EyeTV you are in business! Wonder if you can have multiple versions of the same app on your iPhone if you rename it manually -- keep the existing one for 3G streaming, get newer ones for whatever future features get added (Remote control, please!)

I don't know if that'll work. Can't Apple just disable or remove apps installed on our phones?

ntrigue
Oct 16, 2009, 02:50 PM
Way to go :) Now THAT's initiative!

zombitronic
Oct 16, 2009, 02:55 PM
I don't know if that'll work. Can't Apple just disable or remove apps installed on our phones?

Automatically? I'm not sure. I would think that you'd have to sync your phone to initiate any changes or removals.

I won't be updating my EyeTV app until someone confirms that a newer version keeps this easter egg intact.

QuarterSwede
Oct 16, 2009, 03:12 PM
Apple has yet to delete any app off of people's iDevices. Now that the genie is out of the bottle Apple will most likely pull it from the store until Elgato updates it with the code removed. Then again, with the FCC investigation (Apple, at&t and Google) it'll be interesting to see what Apple does.

optophobia
Oct 16, 2009, 03:12 PM
Automatically? I'm not sure. I would think that you'd have to sync your phone to initiate any changes or removals.

I won't be updating my EyeTV app until someone confirms that a newer version keeps this easter egg intact.

wow, so now unjailbroken iPhones are as cool as Jailbroken iPhones using 3G unrestrictor.....

[/sarcasm]

slapguts
Oct 16, 2009, 03:23 PM
Ha. I just got all excited, clicked over to the App Store, bought this, then remembered I sold my EyeTV Hybrid about a month ago.

Crap. :mad:

fpnc
Oct 16, 2009, 04:03 PM
I just gave live TV streaming over 3G a try and the results weren't very good. The video quality is okay (not great) but it pauses about every 30 seconds and sometimes you only get the audio with no updates to the video. However, when playing back recorded video you don't have either of these problems. Thus, it appears that the live TV over 3G isn't very well optimized.

I'm running on a 2.66GHz Mac Pro so I don't think these problems are due to any lack of horsepower on the video processing.

Furthermore, EyeTV's standard preset for streaming pre-recorded video over 3G compresses the source down to a pitiful 176x144 resolution at only 80Kbps. The result is often a blurred, artifact ridden mess but it does seem to stream reliably (not like the pauses you get with this "Easter Egg" method to view live TV). In fact, it looks like the live TV compression is set higher than it is for the pre-recorded streaming (that may be why the live TV pauses so often).

zombitronic
Oct 16, 2009, 04:37 PM
Update: The easter egg was apparently first publicly disclosed (http://appadvice.com/appnn/2009/10/eyetv-can-stream-live-tv-over-3g-with-this-simple-trick/) nearly two weeks ago, just days after the application's release, and Apple has apparently yet to take any action in response to the issue.

This is encouraging. Maybe the lack of quality via 3G streaming is considered enough of a deterrent for most users.

rstone3
Oct 16, 2009, 05:27 PM

I just downloaded the app as it likely will be pulled. I'll put the icon near NetShare on my iPhone ;)

Apple does have the ability to remotely kill an app but this has never been used and is believed to be a 'fail safe' in case an app that has the ability to hijack your phone or some other virus-like thing got through Apple's review process.

Eddyisgreat
Oct 16, 2009, 05:39 PM
I just gave live TV streaming over 3G a try and the results weren't very good. The video quality is okay (not great) but it pauses about every 30 seconds and sometimes you only get the audio with no updates to the video. However, when playing back recorded video you don't have either of these problems. Thus, it appears that the live TV over 3G isn't very well optimized.

Mine works OK. The audio is great but the video sometime jerks in high action scenes (or when the audience claps).

djdole
Oct 16, 2009, 07:01 PM
Apple has apparently yet to take any action in response to the issue. (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/16/eyetv-easter-egg-allows-for-video-streaming-via-3g-networks/)

And :apple: shouldn't.
Unless it is in response to a court-order from a provider in regards to a contractual obligation not to provide streaming apps through the app store.
But even THAT would be BS at best as jailbroken phones could stream (not needing the app store to install).
Additionally, (same old rant) it'd be BS for AT&T at least, because all data plans are "Unlimited".

GoCubsGo
Oct 16, 2009, 07:05 PM
It shouldn't be pulled, there's no reason for it.

kas23
Oct 16, 2009, 07:09 PM
It shouldn't be pulled, there's no reason for it.

AT&T is on record saying no video streaming for the iPhone over 3G. They say it is a clear violation of their TOS. Sure, "AT&T doesn't approve apps," but I'm sure Slingplayer would beg to differ.

Habakuk
Oct 16, 2009, 07:33 PM
I tried it but it doesn't work :-(

When I press the text instead "OK" the player will show up (sometimes after a blue progress bar, without any video or sound content) but just for a second or so—and then it will vanish to the list with the tv stations... Everything else works pretty well (watching pre recorded shows; live tv via different WiFis).

Rebooted MacBook Pro with "EyeTV hybrid" USB tuner, rebooted iPhone. NADA live tv via 3G. Maybe it's the carrier? (Orange Austria, I hate them.)

Edit: Success! After the tenth attempt or so it works! (Maybe it was the signal strength of the "hybrid" tuner at DVB-T.) Image and sound very good (like via WiFi). Even the FM radio stations are transmitting with pause and time shift! Great! :) More functions than my TV set at home. Apple please don't change that. Sling is not available in Europe.

SimonTheSoundMa
Oct 16, 2009, 07:57 PM
AT&T is on record saying no video streaming for the iPhone over 3G. They say it is a clear violation of their TOS. Sure, "AT&T doesn't approve apps," but I'm sure Slingplayer would beg to differ.

Thatís just retarded. 3G everywhere else in the world is marketed for video streaming. Itís why almost every 3G phone (apart from the iPhone) as a second camera as well.

wooo
Oct 16, 2009, 08:10 PM
Bold (possibly risky) move by EyeTV.

When my own app was rejected for streaming video over 3G/EDGE (and it was the 3rd rejection in as many weeks... frustratingly), I took the "safe" road.

So when ooTunes detects you're on 3G and want to play a video stream back, what does it do? It asks if you want to open Safari (yes, apple's own safari) and streams it merrily there. I figured they couldn't reject my app for using their approved app :)

rstone3
Oct 16, 2009, 08:24 PM
Bold (possibly risky) move by EyeTV.

When my own app was rejected for streaming video over 3G/EDGE (and it was the 3rd rejection in as many weeks... frustratingly), I took the "safe" road.

So when ooTunes detects you're on 3G and want to play a video stream back, what does it do? It asks if you want to open Safari (yes, apple's own safari) and streams it merrily there. I figured they couldn't reject my app for using their approved app :)

Clever move...and nice piece of software ooTunes is, BTW. Just got the server myself recently.

Hopefully, as AT&T's network becomes more robust or as iPhone is opened to other networks and people migrate there the lower bandwidth will allow easing of these restrictions on apps. I can't actually imagine them enforcing this sort of thing if iPhones were on Verizon as well.

LoganT
Oct 16, 2009, 09:06 PM
OMG, that is awesome! So glad I bought it.

LoganT
Oct 16, 2009, 09:07 PM
Ha. I just got all excited, clicked over to the App Store, bought this, then remembered I sold my EyeTV Hybrid about a month ago.

Crap. :mad:

You should buy the app now just in case it's pulled.

LoganT
Oct 16, 2009, 09:20 PM
BTW I use about 210 kpbs as the quality, seems like a nice balance of quality and performance. Edge works but has very bad performance, even at 80 kbps.

wadejc85
Oct 16, 2009, 09:24 PM
Looks like it got pulled. Just tried to buy it and got this message...

crees!
Oct 16, 2009, 09:24 PM
In the terms you agree to it specifically states you are not allowed to hide features from testing within Apple. So either Apple knows about this or EyeTV is in violation of the developer agreement.

LoganT
Oct 16, 2009, 09:30 PM

Ahh, that sucks. :( I'm glad I have a copy, and made a backup.

Habakuk
Oct 16, 2009, 09:38 PM

Here in Austrian App Store it's still available.

I am considering to buy a Mac Mini just for TV "broadcasting".

puckhead193
Oct 16, 2009, 09:57 PM
This is so freakin' cool
Anyone try it? Does it look halfway decent?

Habakuk
Oct 16, 2009, 10:05 PM
This is so freakin' cool

Absolutely. That's it. Who has time shift, pause, comfortable recorder programming and extensive EPG at the home tv set?

It looks really good. Image and sound (stereo) quality top. I've made a short technical demo videoclip (http://rossau.wordpress.com/2009/10/02/fernsehen-am-iphone-mit-eyetv/) (it's via different Wi-Fis but the quality is the same like via 3G).

Here a screenshot that I've made some minutes ago on 3G:

GNice
Oct 16, 2009, 10:56 PM
Yep...the bastards pulled it. Daaaaammmmnnnn it!:mad:

mgamber
Oct 16, 2009, 11:01 PM

Orb does it. Officially. Elgato seemed to be pretty far down the front of Apple's trousers, what with Apple selling their stuff in Apple stores. I wonder what this might to do their relationship.

ravenvii
Oct 16, 2009, 11:05 PM
****! I'm planning to buy the app, too!

**** you, Apple/AT&T!

RakEgg
Oct 16, 2009, 11:42 PM
Inglourious Basterds !!! ...with apologies to Quentin Tarantino.

They pulled it! http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/smilies/mad.gif

When oh when are the US regulators going to blow up AT&T and Apple's ship over this continuing anti-competitive, ant-trust stuff!

I downloaded my copy but could not get the rest of the team to download theirs. Make's you want to break copyright and transfer my copy to my team? How do I do that anyway?

zombitronic
Oct 16, 2009, 11:57 PM
AT&T is on record saying no video streaming for the iPhone over 3G. They say it is a clear violation of their TOS.

That's funny, because there's this "YouTube" app that came with my iPhone...

Eddyisgreat
Oct 17, 2009, 12:05 AM

I tried it for 2 hours driving up and down i-5 and it worked great. I can't tell how much data it used though since I havn't reset my statistics. The only thing I really do is check my e-mail and omnifocus sync so i'd say about 1 GB? Maybe I don't know thats pretty high.

Still worked great.

fpnc
Oct 17, 2009, 01:16 AM
It's only live TV that is prohibited. You can stream pre-recorded video or video files from your HD using a variety of apps that are available on the iTunes Store.

This is why SlingPlayer was caught in the sling -- they feature streaming of live TV. Any pre-recorded content has to exist on a DVR that can be controlled by the SlingPlayer remote and I suspect that the SlingPlayer can't really determine whether it is streaming live or recorded video and thus it was forced to disable playback over 3G (since it could be live TV).

awulf
Oct 17, 2009, 02:43 AM
Apple should at least just make it a carrier file setting to what you can/can't do over 3G on that provider's network.

I'm with 3 here in Australia, and they advertise that you can use Skype on compatible phones (over 3G) and even have some live TV streaming for sporting events.

Just because AT&T can't get their act together, doesn't mean the rest of the world should suffer too.

3goldens
Oct 17, 2009, 09:32 AM
Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone Gone

johnnyjibbs
Oct 17, 2009, 10:14 AM
This will get pulled. It is in direct violation of Apple's policy on iPhone Easter Eggs. It clearly states that Easter Eggs are allowed, provided they give Apple the details of how to activate them on submission of the app. Developers that fail to do this will get their app pulled from the store.

The inherent problem with 'secret' Easter Eggs is that they need to be publicised so that people can know about them, but then that also lets the cat out of the bag for Apple! :eek:

Habakuk
Oct 17, 2009, 12:20 PM
Macworld UK: Apple pulls Elgato EyeTV app over backdoor 3G streaming (http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=27464). Elgato is quoted there:

„Some test code that enabled live TV streaming over the cellular network was accidentally left in the the EyeTV App. Apple requested that we remove the code since their agreement with AT&T does not allow redirecting TV signals over the cellular network.“

„The code was removed and a 1.0.1 version of the EyeTV app was submitted. We expect EyeTV to return to the App Store when the 1.0.1 version is approved.“

I will not upgrade—and soon I'll call it "Cat & Mouse Phone".

kas23
Oct 17, 2009, 12:57 PM
It's only live TV that is prohibited. You can stream pre-recorded video or video files from your HD using a variety of apps that are available on the iTunes Store.

This is why SlingPlayer was caught in the sling -- they feature streaming of live TV. Any pre-recorded content has to exist on a DVR that can be controlled by the SlingPlayer remote and I suspect that the SlingPlayer can't really determine whether it is streaming live or recorded video and thus it was forced to disable playback over 3G (since it could be live TV).

Doesn't matter. It's been pulled. Case closed.

Does anyone in their right mind still think that AT&T doesn't play a significant role in the app approval process? I hope the FCC catches wind of this latest farce.

fpnc
Oct 17, 2009, 03:42 PM
It's only live TV that is prohibited. You can stream pre-recorded video or video files from your HD using a variety of apps that are available on the iTunes Store...
Doesn't matter. It's been pulled. Case closed....
But that is the point, it's only live TV that is prohibited and that's why the current version of EyeTV was pulled. However, you can configure EyeTV to automatically convert any recording to a 3G-enabled format that will begin as soon as the TV show ends (plus the required encoding time). Thus, you can do a "tape delay" (if you will) of any TV show and be viewing it on your iPhone over 3G in a matter of minutes after the show is done. True, not the same as live TV and somewhat inconvenient but not too bad.

ElBerserko
Oct 17, 2009, 03:55 PM
Since this app uses Apple's built-in HTTP streaming abilities, it would be possible to stream live TV through Safari if the EyeTV software on your computer made this URL available. Apple/AT&T couldn't do anything about it.

There would still be an incentive for buying their iPhone app for setting recording schedules, channel, previous recordings etc.

minik
Oct 17, 2009, 04:12 PM
I bought the app on day 1. The easter egg is pretty sweet as I'm watching the Cal's game right now on my iPhone 3GS.

I doubt I will update the app similar to iStat after they removed the free memory feature.

MacDSmith2
Oct 17, 2009, 05:27 PM
What's the big deal for AT&T? Bandwidth problems if everybody starts watching the USC football game at the same time on their iPhones?

dereth
Oct 17, 2009, 10:46 PM
We've had enough from AT&T.

We're considering pulling our corporate premier account out and moving to another service provider. The loss is only 1 million per year for them anyway. No biggie.