PDA

View Full Version : Apple Releases 4th Gen iPod

Pages : [1] 2 3

MacRumors
Jul 19, 2004, 07:42 AM
As predicted, Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jul/19ipod.html) the 4th generation iPod today.

Apple today introduced the new iPod, the fourth generation of the world’s number one portable digital music player, featuring Apple’s patent pending Click Wheel, which combines the smooth and continuous scrolling of a touch-sensitive wheel with five push buttons for superior one handed navigation. The new iPod also features up to 12 hours battery life and Shuffle Songs, a new command in the main menu which gives users instant access to one of the most exciting new ways to listen to their music library. All iPods work effortlessly with Apple’s iTunes®, providing music fans with the best digital jukebox on either a Mac® or Windows computer and access to the iTunes Music Store, the number one digital music service in the world. The new iPod is available immediately in a 20GB model for $299 and a 40GB model for $399.

Apple's website (http://www.apple.com) has been updated to reflect the new product.

MattG
Jul 19, 2004, 07:43 AM
Looks very nice...

However, I will wait until the 60gb is announced (40gb isn't enough for me!), hopefully with AirTunes compatibility!

javabear90
Jul 19, 2004, 07:43 AM
it's a little bit dissapointing, however I expect that we will see a 60 gig soon. maby in paris? :rolleyes: ;)

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 07:44 AM
I ordered a 40 gig on the 15th and it wasn't supposed to ship until the 26th. But my order has now been changed to the newer 40 gig and will be shipping by the 21st! W00t! :)

whw5
Jul 19, 2004, 07:44 AM
Nothing special, but I do like the new look. I won't be getting one though, because I just ordered my mini the other day.

technocoy
Jul 19, 2004, 07:45 AM
my 30 3g is still looking fine. i will wait for the 60 as well. the clickwheel and extra 30 gigs is what i want and right now the clickwheel is all i get! The battery life is nice too, but nonetheless, i'll wait a bit.

realityisterror
i'm not quite happy with the new design.... but you can't argue with the prices... especially compared to the 1G's

reality

Gizmotoy
These look pretty sweet. I really would have preferred some AirTunes compatibility, though.

cdburrows
Jul 19, 2004, 07:46 AM
The 20GB has no dock and the iPod no longer has a remote control :rolleyes: is that correct?

jesuscandle
Apparently the software update is 4G only. Sniffle...no new features for my 30 GB 3G...

javabear90
So it looks like all of the accesories work with the 4th and 3rd generations?

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 07:47 AM
The 20GB has no dock and the iPod no longer has a remote control :rolleyes: is that correct?

Correct.

Edit: (No it's not correct. The tech specs list a remote although the order page does not)

Tiauguinho
I will order a 40GB one to replace my old 10GB 2nd Generation that has server me extremely well. Battery still kick ass, but my music library is already bigger then what my old one can carry. Time for new Apple Stuff!!

stuartmingay
... am I right in saying that neither of these new iPods come with a carry case or a remote? When I bought my wife her 3G 15GB, it came with both these things.

This is a bit off in my opinion.

Stu

Mitthrawnuruodo
Looks very nice, and I love the new touch weel. But I'm quite happy with my mini and have more than enough space, so I'm gonna stick with that, for now... ;)

I would like the enhanced battery life om my mini, too, though... :(

Gizmotoy
Jul 19, 2004, 07:48 AM
Correct.

The Tech Specs site lists that a remote comes with the 40G version, so the iPods still do have remotes... just not the 20G version.

billyboy
Jul 19, 2004, 07:48 AM
The touchwheel looks great. Just need to come up with a use for an iPod and I will get one!!! Just for music, no way could I justify the expense especially as I have a 2000€ Apple computer to listen to.

jihad the movie
Jul 19, 2004, 07:50 AM
Do you think that Menu, FF, RW, and Play light up like on the previous generation iPods?

MattG
Jul 19, 2004, 07:51 AM
The touchwheel looks great. Just need to come up with a use for an iPod and I will get one!!! Just for music, no way could I justify the expense especially as I have a 2000€ Apple computer to listen to.That's my problem...that's why I sold my last iPod; just wasn't using it very much. Now if it could stream music to my stereo while I walk around the house with it...that'd be a different story :)

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 07:51 AM
The Tech Specs site lists that a remote comes with the 40G version, so the iPods still do have remotes... just not the 20G version.

Yeah... I just noticed that. It's odd that it doesn't say that on the order page. Hmmmm.... I guess I'll find out soon enough... mine should be here by the end of the week. :D

blakemsf
Jul 19, 2004, 07:52 AM
$269 for Education Discount for the 20GB? YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

Windowlicker
Jul 19, 2004, 07:53 AM
heh i just paid a visit to apple.com before coming here and there it was. nice. dunno if it looks better than my lovely 3G pod, but the clickwheel seems more usable than a wheel with separate buttons…

also i'm impressed about the 12h runtime. it's the best thing they can do eventhough the 8h is usually enough for me already.

CrackedButter
Jul 19, 2004, 07:54 AM
I said there would be a price drop for us mac users in the UK due to a weak dollar. £200 on edu discount is sweet! That was the supposed price of a mini not so long ago.

HasanDaddy
Jul 19, 2004, 07:55 AM
so should I wait for the 60 gigger??

do you guys think the 60 will have better features, by any chance???

I'm conflicted.....

of course, I could continue on with my 3G 30 gigger, but I love the button configuration of this new one!

garybUK
Jul 19, 2004, 07:55 AM
Apple are going the right way here...

The iPod is what it is and should try to be something else... its a fantastic mp3/aac audio player and radio, colour screen, wifi, bluetooth etc.. will just ruin it imo.

Increase in storage, better navigation, bigger storage is all we need.

the ONLY thing i would like to see added to the ipod is maybe a line-in or optical in for recording.

The prices are soo much more competative now and the battery will shut some people up.

Another guddun apple!

outerspaceapple
Jul 19, 2004, 07:57 AM
SWEEET, New iPods are always welcome :-D I may actually pick one up this time. Suuuuch good prices this time around.

I love u apple

aafuss1
Jul 19, 2004, 07:58 AM
Amazing- the clickwheel has the beautiful brushed metal look of Panther, the displays , and PB's. The 15GB model-RIP-1/04-7/04. And the AU pricing should be about $499/$599-the iPod mini is 399 here. Will iTunes 4.6 support the new iPod features or say v 4.7 will be released soon?

neon

I'm conflicted.....

of course, I could continue on with my 3G 30 gigger, but I love the button configuration of this new one!

i have a 3g 20gb and will wait for a 60, i think. of course if i manage to find somewhere i can play with one of these i may crack and give in ;)

dobbin
£219 for a 20Gb including free laser engraving and shipping. And it's available immediately. To me that makes the minis (without engraving) at £179 seem a bit expensive, and makes the wait for a mini even worse. I just hope my mini ships in time for my wife's birthday, or I am going to wish I got her a 20Gb instead.

I think I might get myself a 20Gb one day soon....

oingoboingo
I don't own an iPod, so please enlighten me. Apple is claiming amongst the list of improvements to the 4G iPod that a song shuffle feature has been added. Does this mean that 1G through to 3G iPods have not had a song shuffle feature? No way for the iPod to randomly pick the next song? Please say it's not so. Even the cheapest, crappiest CD player has had a shuffle feature for as long as I can remember. If the previous generation iPods had some type of shuffle feature, what is new and improved about this one?

AmigoMac
Jul 19, 2004, 07:59 AM
Without remote ?? oops! I will place my order but why do I still suspect that we will see 60 GB in october when iTunes for windows will be 1 year... :rolleyes: ...

neon
Jul 19, 2004, 08:00 AM
I don't own an iPod, so please enlighten me. Apple is claiming amongst the list of improvements to the 4G iPod that a song shuffle feature has been added. Does this mean that 1G through to 3G iPods have not had a song shuffle feature? No way for the iPod to randomly pick the next song? Please say it's not so. Even the cheapest, crappiest CD player has had a shuffle feature for as long as I can remember. If the previous generation iPods had some type of shuffle feature, what is new and improved about this one?they all have shuffle (well i only have a 3g..!) - only now its been added to the main menu for easier use

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 08:02 AM
I don't own an iPod, so please enlighten me. Apple is claiming amongst the list of improvements to the 4G iPod that a song shuffle feature has been added. Does this mean that 1G through to 3G iPods have not had a song shuffle feature? No way for the iPod to randomly pick the next song? Please say it's not so. Even the cheapest, crappiest CD player has had a shuffle feature for as long as I can remember. If the previous generation iPods had some type of shuffle feature, what is new and improved about this one?

The new shuffle feature is a "one-click shuffle". Previously (at least on my 1st gen 10 gig) you had to go into the settings menu to get it to shuffle. I assume now you can do it from anywhere.

Angelo
They used my line on the apple front page from a mock up that i did a while back. :D

http://www.spymac.com/gallery/show_...=86756&size=big

i_wolf
I have an existing 3G 20gig ipod. Great little device. I know its hard to improve upon perfection but I have to be honest and say that I am a little disappointed by this release. I just like to see things move forward and improve constantly. While some of these features (click wheel) are a step in the right direction, there is nothing revolutionary and I guess that was what I was expecting from apple.
Things I would have liked to see Apple listen to the community and incorporate in 4G ipod... heck some of their competitors have had these features for ages.

1) User customizable equaliser ..... the karma, iriver and others have had this option for ages.
2) Replacable battery. For me the ipod is tiny, I wouldn't mind it being slight bigger if it meant that I could buy extra batteries for it. The Zen is selling with this feature.
3) Better battery life. Apple has jumped to a claimed 12 hours with this revision.... Creative are up to a claimed 24 hours with the new zen. iriver, rio and others have been selling devices with 16 hours for the past year. Cowon now sells an M3 Long Play with a claimed 35 hour battery life.
4) Get rid of that silly scratch prone crome on the ipod. They could still maintain the white on silver look by using bruched aluminium on the rear.
5) I don't know if I should be putting this in as a gripe, because it hasn't been established yet.... but it would be nice if Apple continually made efforts to improve upon the sound of the ipod between revisions. By virtue of the fact that they don't mention audio specifications... I'm assuming that they did not do this and that the innards of the G4 ipod are probably identical to the G3.
Other than that I am happy with the smalll improvements such as click wheel multiple on the go playlists. I was hoping that they would not include a color screen etc... and thankfully they didn't. Its a music player first and foremost and keep things simple. As for a radio.... why the hell do I want a radio when I can store thousands of songs on a tiny little device !

Regards
i_wolf

P.S. maybe I'm blind but I havn't seen any audio specifications such as SNR, output power etc... on the technical specifications of the ipod.... I hope they have improved the sound quality. I like manufacturers that sell audio products to continually look for ways to improve audio fidelity.
P.P.S do you guys reckon the innards of the G4 are identical to the G3???

FriarTuck
Jul 19, 2004, 08:03 AM
I could watch the QTVR (http://www.apple.com/hardware/gallery/ipod_jul2004_320.html) of the iPod all day long.

Stella
I like the look of the G4 ipods.. but, having got a G2 one, I can't really see why I should get the newer model - since it works fine and battery life is OK.

I can't believe Apple didn't do anything to give iPod's airtunes support... perhaps that will come as an edge connector unit by a third party manufacturer - belkin or some one?

oingoboingo
they all have shuffle (well i only have a 3g..!) - only now its been added to the main menu for easier use

Thanks to all who replied. I thought it was too obvious to not be present in the earlier revisions.

itsa
Screw this!! Just get them G5's shipping!!!
:)

AppleMatt
Jul 19, 2004, 08:05 AM
Apparently the software update is 4G only. Sniffle...no new features for my 30 GB 3G...

Buggar :(
http://www.apple.com/ipod/download/

AppleMatt

Trekkie
Jul 19, 2004, 08:06 AM
New 40GB on the way. Whee

picklescott
Jul 19, 2004, 08:06 AM
20 gig:
Earbud headphones, AC adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter

30 gig:
Earbud headphones, dock, remote, carrying case, AC adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter

(from apple.com/ipod/specs.html)

Diatribe
Jul 19, 2004, 08:07 AM
I love this part at the shop:

iPod Etiquette.
Remove both earbuds:
During a job interview
Taking your driver’s test
When your sweetie calls

Remove one earbud:
Listening for your flight
Buying groceries
When a coworker calls

Leave ’em in:
Visiting the inlaws
At the laundromat
When your boss calls

:D Too funny.
Since when is Apple making such jokes?

SiliconAddict
Jul 19, 2004, 08:07 AM
Looks very nice...

However, I will wait until the 60gb is announced (40gb isn't enough for me!), hopefully with AirTunes compatibility!

DAMN IT. I want my 60GB iPod. Yes I know the drives aren't even shipping but unless we are talking half a year there is no reason why they can't say and 60GB iPods in September. I'm sick and tired of Apple craptastic cloak and dagger games. No other company pulls this ****. Only Apple.

belair
Jul 19, 2004, 08:08 AM
Having just the wheel and no buttons. Even cooler that 1gen and 2gen.
I also like that they kept it white.

I bought my 20gig 3gen 3 months ago so I wont be buying one. Except if they bring out the 60 gig and give it airtunes compatibility :D

I noticed that the 40 gig is still thicker than the 20 gig model. Is the 60 going to be even thicker? That would not be reasonable. Having three different sizes of docks.

well we will see in Paris I guess.

pkradd
From Press Release:

"HP has chosen iPod and iTunes as the best products to integrate in to our digital entertainment strategy,” said Carly Fiorina, chairman and chief executive officer at HP. “We decided to wait for this amazing new fourth generation iPod, as it will offer our customers an even better experience. HP’s version of the new iPod will be available in September.”

cube
I'm still waiting for an iPod with AM/FM tuner that works in both USA and Europe
and color screen to view pics.

BeanTownBrawler
Out at stores as well?

pkradd
Jul 19, 2004, 08:10 AM
"Is the 60 going to be even thicker?"

No. The 40 and upcoming 60 GB use dual layer drives - 2 discs on top of each other. The 20 GB uses a single layer drive, thus it is thinner.

Trekkie
Jul 19, 2004, 08:10 AM
I don't own an iPod, so please enlighten me. Apple is claiming amongst the list of improvements to the 4G iPod that a song shuffle feature has been added. Does this mean that 1G through to 3G iPods have not had a song shuffle feature?

My 2G iPod has shuffle, it just takes about 4 menus to get to it if I remember right. Now it's a 'from the top' feature since it was considered popular. I know I used it all the time.

itsa
Jul 19, 2004, 08:11 AM
I'm still waiting for an iPod wih AM/FM tuner that works in both USA and Europe
Do people really still listen to the radio?

neon
Jul 19, 2004, 08:12 AM
Except if they bring out the 60 gig and give it airtunes compatibility :D

now that would be sure to make me part with cash...

the future
Jul 19, 2004, 08:12 AM
The 40 GB model (now in the medium price spot) still comes with dock, remote and carrying case. The 20 GB model (now the low-end iPod) does not.

cube
Jul 19, 2004, 08:14 AM

There's still no cheap 3G streaming for when on the move.

kirk26

Yea, more than I watch TV.

bpd115
I'm still waiting for an iPod with AM/FM tuner that works in both USA and Europe

You'll be waiting a while I believe.

brennen
Jul 19, 2004, 08:15 AM
How does 12-hour battery life compare with previous models? I don't (yet) own an iPod and I'm curious to find out how much improvement has (allegedly) been made.

neon
Jul 19, 2004, 08:15 AM
Do people really still listen to the radio?i would if i could on my ipod

crakly
Jul 19, 2004, 08:16 AM
I agree colour screen and video is load of nonsense, but they should have:

1.) added a removable battery
2.) made an AirTunes dock
3.) made the clickwheel transparent plastic. This would allow a user choice of coloured LED for the clickwheel and screen. Imagine: all white ipods but in the dark would glow either red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple etc or standard white

There's nothing about a clickwheel backlight for this new model... I'm worried they've removed it :confused:

hello world
from Apple.com:
The fourth-generation iPod lets you adjust the reading speed. If, for example, you’re learning a new language, you can have iPod read more slowly.

What file format are audiobooks?

I want speed control of everything.

cube
You'll be waiting a while I believe.

If Apple doesn't make it, I'll buy it from Sony, as long as it works with iTunes
on the Mac.

ronntaylor
Jul 19, 2004, 08:18 AM
I just saved my order for a 20-gig. Waiting to see if my baby can use the student discount and if I should just go with the 40-gig instead.

I bought a minidisc recorder about three weeks before the G1 iPod and have regretted it ever since. The MD came with a radio and remote that I barely use. So the lack of a remote and dock on the 20-gig G4 iPod is not a major problem for me. And I only have about 5-gigs of music on my ancient iMac.

Guess I'll just get the 20-gig later today.

Trekkie
Jul 19, 2004, 08:19 AM
the ONLY thing i would like to see added to the ipod is maybe a line-in or optical in for recording.

The optical in would put the RIAA (in the US at least) into a hissy fit I'm sure. So I doubt they'd cross that line. Line in is bad enough (to them) as it is.

Trekkie
Jul 19, 2004, 08:20 AM

XM? Daily.

AM/FM? Rarely, if ever.

neon
seeing as a few people have commented on the remote - am i the only person to find it the most ridiculous thing ever? it makes the earphones cord like a skipping rope. am i missing out?

Stella
There is a third party addon for >G3 that allows you to use regular batteries with your ipod.

If apple allowed users to use regular batteries, added colour screen then they'd be stepping on third party products, who would naturally be pissed off. Many of these products haven't been around for a while....

...OF COURSE... not that it stops Apple anyway - since they regularly step on third party products :D

3.) made the clickwheel transparent plastic. This would allow a user choice of coloured LED for the clickwheel and screen. Imagine: all white ipods but in the dark would glow either red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple etc or standard white

There's nothing about a clickwheel backlight for this new model... I'm worried they've removed it :confused:

@Trekkie...

RIAA are a load of crying babies (as we all know)... you don't come across many organisations that cry so much... i'm surprised they aren't getting upset about MiniDiscs... you *have* to copy music to use miniDiscs..

yinyang
Jul 19, 2004, 08:21 AM
aussie pricing isn't very comparable... :confused:

AUS$649 = US$475

Trekkie
Jul 19, 2004, 08:22 AM
How does 12-hour battery life compare with previous models? I don't (yet) own an iPod and I'm curious to find out how much improvement has (allegedly) been made.

It must be subjective to what type of files you're listening too and how often you 'dink' with it once you start the music.

For example, I have a 2G 20GB iPod (just ordered a 4G 40GB woot) anyway fully charged, leave the house and get on a flight from Raleigh, NC to San Francisco, CA.

2 hrs 20 min to Dallas, in the time I'm allowed I'm listening and it's on shuffle.

while in airport (sprinting from gate to gate) it's off.

4 hrs 30 min to SFO, in the time I'm allowed I'm listening and it's on shuffle, occasional skips here and there.

Realize in hotel room I forgot my travel charger. scream at the thought of sitting on flight with nothing to listen too, don't want to spend money on the charger though just for one trip so buck it up and sigh.

Try the iPod out on the return flight, and I get two hours out of it before it dies.

So that's 9 hrs on a 2G iPod....

dongmin
Jul 19, 2004, 08:23 AM
from Apple.com:
The fourth-generation iPod lets you adjust the reading speed. If, for example, you’re learning a new language, you can have iPod read more slowly.

What file format are audiobooks?

I want speed control of everything.I'm sure it's not hard to implement. (Doesn't another mp3 player have such a feature.) With speed-pitch control and optical line out, the iPods could be pretty nice to DJ with. Isn't it about time for Apple to open up the iPod and let people build applications for it? Or are they afraid that people won't be upgrading to newer models?

thebryceman
Apple USA gives you more iPod at the old prices. Apple Australia introduces the new G4 iPod and adds $50 to the old price!!! AAAAAGGGGHH. When will someone at Apple Australia get a clue???

mrdhammer
Does anybody have any idea if the new iPods are going to be in Apple Stores today?

cube
Jul 19, 2004, 08:24 AM
XM? Daily.

AM/FM? Rarely, if ever.

There is no XM in Europe. There's DAB, but if one has to choose, AM/FM is still a better option.

itsa
Jul 19, 2004, 08:25 AM
Yea, more than I watch TV.

The world is their own DJ these days. Other than news in a blackout, I don't see any reason to turn on the radio.
TV...!! Now your on to something! How great would it be to chatch that big game on your ipod!

wPod
Jul 19, 2004, 08:26 AM
cool new look. but i was wanting airtunes compatibility. oh well, guess ill stay nice and debt free for now. my 10GB first gen still rocks! a click wheel and a couple software functions arent worth my money, sorry apple.

CmdrLaForge
Thats just great. I will get the 20GB version from the Store in SF. !!!

Yipppieee :D

itsa
Does anybody have any idea if the new iPods are going to be in Apple Stores today?
The way apple works... it could be months!

MacBoyX
I don't know HOW I feel about this update.

1. They just HAD to change the size so none of my Docks (I bought 2) will work with the new one. This stinks.

2. The Software Update can't be applied to 3G iPods? That really stinks. It appears the improvements are software based not firmware. I just bought a 20GB 3Gen and now I can't get any new features. I thought Apple pushed the "update your pod" features with the 1G/2G iPods.

3. Why does everyone keep saying Yay lower pricing? It's more for the same price yes, but they only dropped the 499 model and maybe temporary?

I just don't get why they couldnt leave it 1mm (I mean 1mm? who cares). I don't get this.

I am not one to complain abt Apple's way of doing things but it seems they coulda done better.

macboyX

uv23
Hmmm 0 for 3.

No wifi for integration with airport express (perhaps a new dock is coming).
No bluetooth for easy syncing with iCal/address book.
But most importantly, no optical out.

Oh well... I'll hold out for a bigger/cheaper mini.

sinisterdesign
If Apple doesn't make it, I'll buy it from Sony, as long as it works with iTunes
on the Mac.

???!?? in what consumer world do you live? Sony is notoriously Mac-incompatible (apart from digi-cams) and Sony doesn't even allow the use of MP3, much LESS iTunes compatible. you go ahead & wait on that Sony product, i'll be listening to my iPod...

neon
Jul 19, 2004, 08:27 AM
How does 12-hour battery life compare with previous models? I don't (yet) own an iPod and I'm curious to find out how much improvement has (allegedly) been made.i have a 20gb 3g

since owning it i have rarely needed to use it for more than 6 hours before returning to the charger, but once or twice i've had it on almost all day at work plus travelling time, equalling about 8.5 hours... thats with volume between 70% and 100% (noisy buses, less noisy office), and listening to playlists, no shuffle.

18thTomorrow
Jul 19, 2004, 08:27 AM
Aw, Crapforcrap...my cram and jam combo just arrived on Friday :mad: dumbest thing I ever did.

What a horrible start to my monday morning....

neon
Jul 19, 2004, 08:30 AM
Aw, Crapforcrap...my cram and jam combo just arrived on Friday :mad: dumbest thing I ever did.

What a horrible start to my monday morning....noooo dont feel like that, you have a fantastically cool new laptop and one of the very last 3g ipods! the red lights are oh so pretty and you know it, now turn that frown upside down :D

cube
Jul 19, 2004, 08:30 AM
The world is their on DJ these days. Other than news in a blackout, I don't see any reason to turn on the radio.

Since I got broadband and Audion with access to 5000 streams, I've drastically reduced my expenditures in CDs.

fixyourthinking
Jul 19, 2004, 08:32 AM
I read in a slashdot post that there's a new game on the iPod, does anyone know what it is?

I would love for there to be a version of Tetris on there.

hob
Jul 19, 2004, 08:32 AM
seeing as a few people have commented on the remote - am i the only person to find it the most ridiculous thing ever? it makes the earphones cord like a skipping rope. am i missing out?
I love my remote. Normally I'll end up with my ipod in my jacket's breast pocket with the remote wound up and clipped to the side of the pocket, then my headphones plugged into that. It lets me skip tracks without having to fumble!!

Hob

ewinemiller
Jul 19, 2004, 08:33 AM
they all have shuffle (well i only have a 3g..!) - only now its been added to the main menu for easier use

You could always customize the ipod's menu to put shuffle on the main menu (I did) so counting this as a new feature is kind of hookey.

Fitzcaraldo
The optical in would put the RIAA (in the US at least) into a hissy fit I'm sure. So I doubt they'd cross that line. Line in is bad enough (to them) as it is.

A replacement for My Dat Player would be my logical use for the iPod. I fail to see what this has to do with the RIAA and how they have any legal right to dictate to anybody what enviromental samples they wish to record.

iPod would/could also make a nice little device for sound recording for FCP etc.

cube
???!?? in what consumer world do you live? Sony is notoriously Mac-incompatible (apart from digi-cams) and Sony doesn't even allow the use of MP3, much LESS iTunes compatible. you go ahead & wait on that Sony product, i'll be listening to my iPod...

Yeah. Sony sucks. But it will bite the dust with ATRAC. As for iTunes compatibility the day they support MP3, I rely on 3rd-party developers.

Pipian
18thfortomorrow, I thought there was some fort of 18 day rule where if there was an update within 18 days, they would replace it free up to the new one.?

Steamboatwillie
Jul 19, 2004, 08:34 AM
Is it just me or am I right in proclaiming that the click-scroll wheel is a step backwards? It seems to me that having clickable switches (verses the touch sensitive switches in my 3g 20gb) will wear out and/or break. Don't get me wrong, I totally think the 4g and Mini's are very cool (bought my wife a Mini) but I feel that the mechanical switches were a bad idea and a downgrade from where the iPod was in the 3g model.

And I too am disappointed that the 4g is the only iPod to get an OS update. That's just lame. Trust me when I tell you that is no incentive for me to buy a 4g. Guess I'll just have to suffer with my now ancient 3g...

Lastly, the whole shuffle thing. Moving the shuffle option to the main menu is so far from what I want (and have asked Apple for) I simply want to create a playlist in iTunes, set it to shuffle and update it to my iPod. Now, every time I play that list it automatically reshuffles. Global shuffling on or off is such a non-Apple way to do things. It's limiting and one of my biggest gripes with my iPod.

All that being said, I still love my 3g and I use it every day.

C-Mezak
Jul 19, 2004, 08:35 AM
1. They just HAD to change the size so none of my Docks (I bought 2) will work with the new one. This stinks.
macboyX

Have you heard specifically that the new ipods will not work with the old docks? Im not certain, but I think they will. Because if they dont work with the old docks then they will also not work with other third party devices that dock with the ipod in a similar way.

penum6ra
Jul 19, 2004, 08:35 AM
The 20 GB is definitely thinner (.62" to .57" thick), however I don't have the number on the 3Gs, but it looks like the 40 GB is still much thicker (.73" to .69"). I almost rushed out to buy one, and then read a little deeper into the specs. Maybe the 20 GB is the right size now... hmmm

sinisterdesign
Jul 19, 2004, 08:36 AM
I don't know HOW I feel about this update.

I just don't get why they couldnt leave it 1mm (I mean 1mm? who cares). I don't get this.

yeah, i agree. i was pretty certain that this release was not going to have all the pie-in-the-sky features that have been talked about here for the past few months (wi-fi, color screen, video out, remote capabilities), but i gotta admit, i was at LEAST hoping for a choice of colors and a 60GB drive.

macboy, you're right that 1 mm isn't really worth bragging that you reduced the size if all you did was screw over all your customers w/ accessories that will no longer be useable. hopefully that small of a size difference won't matter w/ the dock. i would take your current dock to an Apple store & plop in one of the new iPods to test it.

i don't know, i've been itching for a new iPod for months. i've got a 2nd gen 20GB that's run out of room. i've also been wanting to get the 'ipod-your-bmw' deal, but my current iPod isn't compatible. but i just don't know if this one has ENOUGH new stuff on it for me to plunk down the ca$h. i just don't know...

dynamiterave23
Just got a 20GB with one day shipping. :D

Can't wait for it to get here.

Trekkie
A replacement for My Dat Player would be my logical use for the iPod. I fail to see what this has to do with the RIAA and how they have any legal right to dictate to anybody what enviromental samples they wish to record.

iPod would/could also make a nice little device for sound recording for FCP etc.
True, but this is the RIAA we're talking about. Anything that records music is only used to steal things remember?

Sabbath
Jul 19, 2004, 08:37 AM
Look pretty good, massive price drop in the UK, although everywhere has been selling the old models cheap recently. With a minor tweak they seem to have solved most peoples issues with the iPod. Sure there are a few additional features we would like if they didn't compromise the original design but this looks like a good update.

I wonder if anyone will hack the software to work on a 3G as I would definitely welcome the ability to delete from on the go playlists and add more than one playlist. Also it seems the longer battery life is at least partly due to better power management, I wonder if we could see some of this in the 3G. Obviously Apple won't update the software but might we see a hack.

Gromit
Jul 19, 2004, 08:37 AM
What happened to all those rumoured features - Colour screen, photo viewing , AV output etc? Do you think the 60Gb drive might be for use in a different device from the iPod, which has the features above? The improved battery life would be necessary for a colour display, or is the idea just a dead duck?

achmafooma
Jul 19, 2004, 08:38 AM
Yeah, that sucks. I wasn't expecting to get EVERY new feature for my 3G, but having a few of them -- shuffle in the main menu and the improved scrolling, mainly -- would've been really nice.

What I'd really like in my iPod is Party Shuffle. My Party Shuffle in iTunes is rigged off a Smart Playlist of all my songs rated 3 stars or higher. But I love how I can tell it to play a particular song NEXT, reorder the list, remove things I don't feel like hearing, etc.

I would love if they could combine the new shuffle option (which they should really give to all of us with 3G iPods) with the On The Go Playlists and link it to the Party Shuffle options in iTunes (as to which playlist it pulls from, etc.), thus effectively giving the iPod much of the same functionality as Party Shuffle.

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 08:38 AM
To Our Valued Apple Customer:

Thank you for your recent order for an iPod.

Apple is thrilled to announce an exciting new generation of iPods! Your
order has been automatically upgraded to the new generation 40GB iPod,
at no additional cost. Your order will ship on or before 7/21. To check
the status of your order, please visit: <www.apple.com/OrderStatus>.

Since the Carrying Case and Remote are not included in the new 40GB
iPod package, we have added the following products to your order,
at no additional cost. They may ship separately, and will ship on
or before 7/23.
M9129G/A - IPOD CARRYING CASE
M9128G/A - IPOD REMOTE AND EARPHONES

If your order included unshipped iPod accessories that are not
compatible with the new generation iPod, we removed these items from
your order. For accessories that already shipped, we have credited
your order for the amount charged.

If you paid with a credit card or an Apple Loan, the credit to your
account should be processed within the next five business days. Once
the credit is sent to your account, it will be posted according to the
issuing banks procedures. If you paid via cashiers check, money order,
or wire transfer, a refund check will be mailed to you upon shipment
of the remaining items on your order.

Thank you for choosing Apple!
The Apple Store

Abstract
Jul 19, 2004, 08:40 AM
Australians shouldn'd fret about their pricing. Their pricing isn't that bad, actually, If you go to the Canadian website, it looks like the Aussie pricing is more, but prices listed in Oz include sales tax, whereas Canadian prices don't. Also, the exchange rate is about 5% different, so after the educational discount, Canadians pay a few dollars more than Canucks do for the 20GB iPod after edu discount.

At least we're not from the UK. ;)

QUESTION: Since they removed the buttons from the 3G iPod, couldn't they have used a smaller click wheel (ie: the same sized click wheel as on the mini iPod) and made the entire unit smaller? They're saving space in the iPod by not using the buttons, so.....
Or better yet, couldn't they have used the additional space for a bigger battery?

Stewie

I'm conflicted.....

Other then a bigger hard driver, I don't think the 60 will have any new features.

C-Mezak
Is it just me or am I right in proclaiming that the click-scroll wheel is a step backwards? It seems to me that having clickable switches (verses the touch sensitive switches in my 3g 20gb) will wear out and/or break. Don't get me wrong, I totally think the 4g and Mini's are very cool (bought my wife a Mini) but I feel that the mechanical switches were a bad idea and a downgrade from where the iPod was in the 3g model.

Yeah it does seem like a step backwards, but at least the mechanical buttons are sealed behind the wheel, unlike the exposed buttons of the earlier generations. It would have been much more difficult to integrate all of the controls into the wheel using entirely touch-sensetive tech. Where would you put your thumb down on the wheel to scroll without setting off one of the function controls? I think its a splendid compromise. definitely worth the ease of function that the new layout will provide. IMHO, of course.

Charlie

BeanTownBrawler
I just went to the website to look at this thing, and as I am going through the buying process, the accessory page comes up and offers the dock as an accessory. Are you kidding me? This thing doesnt come with a charger??!!

Or wait... is that the thing you need to get songs off the computer?
(will be my first ipod)

Either way thats ridiculous

Sabbath
Jul 19, 2004, 08:41 AM
The 20 GB is definitely thinner (.62" to .57" thick), however I don't have the number on the 3Gs, but it looks like the 40 GB is still much thicker (.73" to .69"). I almost rushed out to buy one, and then read a little deeper into the specs. Maybe the 20 GB is the right size now... hmmm

Im unsure of the details but if the 40 G uses two platters and the 20Gb uses one, we may see 60Gb two platters and 30Gb one platters. I certainly don't like the thickness of the 40Gb, otherwise I would have bought the old 40Gb rather than the 20.

jbembe
Jul 19, 2004, 08:41 AM
I ordered a 40 gig on the 15th and it wasn't supposed to ship until the 26th. But my order has now been changed to the newer 40 gig and will be shipping by the 21st! W00t! :)

VERY NICE!!!!!!! :D

Raiden
Jul 19, 2004, 08:42 AM
The price/battery life has now uped the ante yet again. Way to stick it up sony's ass apple!

the new 20 gig price point will be the price to beat for the competetors. 269 for edu? woooooo!

Though i am a bit pissed. I just ordered a PB with a 70$ 15 gig ipod (200 dollar rebate), and was hoping to sell it for 200 bucks. Dought that will happen now...

Stewie
Jul 19, 2004, 08:42 AM
on the Mac.

The sony will only play it's own proprietary format, so it ain't gonna work with iTunes.

dynamiterave23
Jul 19, 2004, 08:43 AM
Wow. I just noticed that the dock and case didn't come with it. :mad:

That's another $50 I have to spend on top of what I just bought.

C-Mezak
Jul 19, 2004, 08:45 AM
Though i am a bit pissed. I just ordered a PB with a 70$ 15 gig ipod (200 dollar rebate), and was hoping to sell it for 200 bucks. Dought that will happen now...

Has your ipod shipped yet? I had a 15gig 3g on order and apple cancelled it and is now sending me the new 20 gig at the same price!

Pipian
Jul 19, 2004, 08:45 AM
No Remote and carrying case.. Since both are 40$, and I'm assuming that the 60GB will have both, I only have to pay 20$ extra for it... Hmm.

johngordon
Jul 19, 2004, 08:46 AM
Lastly, the whole shuffle thing. Moving the shuffle option to the main menu is so far from what I want (and have asked Apple for) I simply want to create a playlist in iTunes, set it to shuffle and update it to my iPod. Now, every time I play that list it automatically reshuffles. Global shuffling on or off is such a non-Apple way to do things. It's limiting and one of my biggest gripes with my iPod.

All that being said, I still love my 3g and I use it every day.

i know exactly what you mean with the shuffle thing - i tend to listen to playlists on shuffle, but albums in the listed order.so not having to switch the shuffle on or off between the two is a great idea - just effectively attach *shuffle* as a function to a particular playlist, in iTunes as you say.

as for the airtunes thing - this would be a great addition. not totally sure how it would work, as people have mentioned new docks. would it be possible, at least in theory, to get airtunes functionality into a new dock, and thus a 3G iPod, without having to get a new airtunes enabled iPod?

airport express packaged with an airtunes enables dock - 2 or 3 of those around the house, and an iPod to take wherever would be the absolute business.

Iain

BakedBeans
Jul 19, 2004, 08:46 AM
Yes they are slightly better than before..but there not great.. not color screen, not no video output nothing great...\

and before people start flaming there are players starting to come out that have some of these features...i will post a link when i have more time...

apple updates have sucked this year so far...imho..

cube
Jul 19, 2004, 08:47 AM
The sony will only play it's own proprietary format, so it ain't gonna work with iTunes.

Discmans support MP3 CDs, as well as ATRAC. Expect native support to happen also for hard disk players, as Sony's sales of their current crap will be dismal.

Mencius
Jul 19, 2004, 08:47 AM
A) Extra battery life, size, and click-wheel very nice, like it a lot! Not enough to make me upgrade though.

B) On The Go ability to delete songs; multiple playlists, like it even better!! These changes remove frustrations that I have had for ages. I hate having to start all over again when 5+ songs on my playlist become annoying to me and I want to remove them, seriously, to me this is perfect.

C) Gripe: If this On The Go playlists feature required a hardware change (extra RAM perhaps) then that's just fine. If it didn't, then I'm very annoyed it's not available for the 3G. For now my 15GB is enough, I'm not upgrading for size, and I want that feature!

D) So if the On The Go thing didn't require a hardware change then essentially they're using it to make people buy another product. Hello Aldous Huxley, this is almost Apple "Brave New World" mentality, don't mend something, throw it away and buy a new one. Well I'll wait on Apple Soma personally.

(All of the above is void if the On The Go feature needed a hardware change)

DrK
Jul 19, 2004, 08:50 AM
I just called the Apple Store in Soho, New York to ask if they had them in stock and was told they weren't released yet :confused:

sinisterdesign
Jul 19, 2004, 08:51 AM
Is it just me or am I right in proclaiming that the click-scroll wheel is a step backwards?

i don't know, i was really jealous of the mini's click-wheel and i thought the 4 buttons across the top of the 3g's were a step backwards.

ok, i thought that sounded really dumb for Apple not to do, too. admittedly, it doesn't AUTOMATICALLY shuffle your playlists every time, but it IS an option:Shuffle Songs randomly plays songs in a selected playlist or your entire music collection.

Warbrain
Buggar :(

AppleMatt

that's what i said. i'm pissed that Apple won't let the 3Gen iPod owners have the same software. there probably was either no change or some miniscule change in the hardware and the 3Gen could've handled the new features fine.

BeanTownBrawler
What in the hell is this...?

iPod w/Click Wheel Essentials

iPod Dock

iPod Dock Connector

are you telling me the new ipod is actually 350?

do we need to buy headphones too? for the love of god...

OK and on top of that the accessories dont ship for 1-2 weeks.
Am I missing something?

neon
Jul 19, 2004, 08:52 AM
ok. 3g owners:

how do you put shuffle in the main menu? am i being dense? :(

and yeah, although i think updating the product is great, i'm a little upset that there is no software update

picklescott
20 gig:
Earbud headphones, AC adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter

40 gig:
Earbud headphones, dock, remote, carrying case, AC adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable, 4-pin-to-6-pin FireWire adapter

20 gig:
Apple Earphones, AC Adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable

40 gig:
Apple Earphones, AC Adapter, FireWire cable, USB 2.0 cable, iPod Dock

(from apple.com/store)

*is confused*

robbieduncan
I just went to the website to look at this thing, and as I am going through the buying process, the accessory page comes up and offers the dock as an accessory. Are you kidding me? This thing doesnt come with a charger??!!

(will be my first ipod)

It's required for neither. You can charge by plugging the firewire cable into the charger brick. You can sync (and charge) by plugging the firewire cable into a 6 pin firewire port. You only need the dock to use as a kind of "stand" or get line out (instead of headphones out).

JFreak
Jul 19, 2004, 08:53 AM
That's my problem...that's why I sold my last iPod; just wasn't using it very much. Now if it could stream music to my stereo while I walk around the house with it...that'd be a different story :)

why would you want to take the ipod with you when streaming to stereo system that stays where it is? wouldn't you rather leave the ipod near the stereo system?

maybe some day there will be wifi inside ipod to enable airtunes streaming, but i still find that streaming feature not so useful with the ipod. it's great with itunes, but ipod is mainly listened to with earphones that move with you wherever you "walk arouund the house".

BakedBeans
Jul 19, 2004, 08:54 AM
I just called the Apple Store in Soho, New York to ask if they had them in stock and was told they weren't released yet :confused:

you need to phone them and tell them to get up to date...look on the website....

macfan86
Jul 19, 2004, 08:55 AM
Why isn't Apple offering 1 or even 2 day shipping for these new beauties?

Seems odd to me.
Anybody have any idea?

Are these being shipped from Taiwan? It seems like Apple Retail Stores already have them in Stock.

clcnyc
Yeah, that does suck, seeing as I've only had my gorgeous 3G 15G iPod for a year, and would like to take advantage of the new software features. I did look at the software download page, and apparently we get a few bones tossed our direction:

Updates for iPod with a Dock connector and iPod mini
Compatibility with iTunes 4.5 or later and the iTunes Music Store
Improved playback performance
Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

CmdrLaForge
The 40 GB model (now in the medium price spot) still comes with dock, remote and carrying case.

Thats not true !!! The 40gig comes only with the dock. The 20 gig comes with just the 20 gig.

They didn't really reduced the prices by $100.

picklescott
20 gig:

40 gig:

20 gig:

40 gig:

(from apple.com/store)

*is confused*

i'm gonna call my local apple retail in about 5 minutes... I wouldn't order online just yet...

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 08:56 AM
why would you want to take the ipod with you when streaming to stereo system that stays where it is? wouldn't you rather leave the ipod near the stereo system?

maybe some day there will be wifi inside ipod to enable airtunes streaming, but i still find that streaming feature not so useful with the ipod. it's great with itunes, but ipod is mainly listened to with earphones that move with you wherever you "walk arouund the house".

It'd be like carrying a visual remote control around with you.

jbembe
Jul 19, 2004, 08:57 AM

HECK NO! Even the "good" stations end up playing alot of crap, and I CAN'T STAND COMMERCIALS!!!

julric01
Jul 19, 2004, 08:58 AM
Im unsure of the details but if the 40 G uses two platters and the 20Gb uses one, we may see 60Gb two platters and 30Gb one platters. I certainly don't like the thickness of the 40Gb, otherwise I would have bought the old 40Gb rather than the 20.

I originally had a 10 Gig that used to use the dual platter drives and it skipped like crazy when I ran - like you couldn't listen to more than one song with out it going nuts. You had to stop and reset it - it would completely lock up. I then went with a 5 gig and it was absolutely fine.

I now have a 3G 15 Gig and it's good - no skipping.

I would love the 40, but reading that the 40 has 2 platters, leads me to believe it would be an issue again.

Jeff

belair
Jul 19, 2004, 08:59 AM
the remote - am i the only person to find it the most ridiculous thing ever? it makes the earphones cord like a skipping rope. am i missing out?

Same here. Why the long cable? I don't want to put my belt clip on my boots do I?

paulie
Jul 19, 2004, 09:00 AM
I will order a 40GB one to replace my old 10GB 2nd Generation that has server me extremely well. Battery still kick ass, but my music library is already bigger then what my old one can carry. Time for new Apple Stuff!!

I'm in exactly the same boat.. I still get my full work day plus commute out of my 2G 10gig. But I've got another 10 gigs of music on the PowerBook that needs a home. So 40 Gig, here I come.. and right at the sweet spot too..

The only thing they could've done for me was make it $499 CDN instead of $559.. But that looks like a sweet device. More space, longer battery. I can't ask for much more.

JFreak
Jul 19, 2004, 09:01 AM

the new ipod is smaller than previous and has the same dock connector, so it is very likely that the new ipod will fit into your old docks. just think about it. i'd guess even the ipod mini will fit into one, so don't cry about it ;)

AppleMatt
I did look at the software download page, and apparently we get a few bones tossed our direction:

Support for the Apple Lossless Encoder, to enable compressed music encoding at high quality

Those were all in the last update...

I don't expect Apple to provide the 3G's with all the features of the 4G's, obviously, but it would be nice for them to include the easy stuff. There's not too many people that will sell their relatively new iPod 3G just for a few software features, especially when the newer models don't come with all the accessories.

AppleMatt

SilentPanda
Thats not true !!! The 40gig comes only with the dock. The 20 gig comes with just the 20 gig.

They didn't really reduced the prices by $100.

The tech specs page says the 40 gig does come with those accessories. The order page does *not* say it comes with these accessories.

However... the e-mail I got from Apple said that they are sending me the remote, earphones, and carrying case because the 40 gig does not have those in the package. Did the previous "high end" iPods come with the remote and such in the package? If they did then I think the tech specs page is wrong because Apple is shipping me a new version of the 40 gig and also the accessories.

juniormaj
Jul 19, 2004, 09:02 AM
macboy, you're right that 1 mm isn't really worth bragging that you reduced the size if all you did was screw over all your customers w/ accessories that will no longer be useable. hopefully that small of a size difference won't matter w/ the dock. i would take your current dock to an Apple store & plop in one of the new iPods to test it.

I really don't see how that would affect the use of older (3G) accessories, including the dock.
However, the Apple store is selling 2 different docks for the 3G and 4G models. It might have something to do with the new USB charging.

OziMac
Jul 19, 2004, 09:03 AM
Australians shouldn'd fret about their pricing. Their pricing isn't that bad, actually, If you go to the Canadian website, it looks like the Aussie pricing is more, but prices listed in Oz include sales tax, whereas Canadian prices don't. Also, the exchange rate is about 5% different, so after the educational discount, Canadians pay a few dollars more than Canucks do for the 20GB iPod after edu discount.

Actually, given that we were paying $50 less on the same conversion from the US prices on the 15Gb and 20GB 3g models... and no longer have the carry case, remote and firewire 4-to-6 pin converters included... I think being a little disappointed is quite justified...

Chaywa
Jul 19, 2004, 09:04 AM

The world doesn't only listen to music. The only real news you can get these days is on the radio (BBC, NPR) so being able to listen to that or your music library on the go would be appreciated. I realize other players do this but let's be honest...the ipod is the coolest.

plasticparadox
Same here. Why the long cable? I don't want to put my belt clip on my boots do I?

So true... that's what I hate about my iPod. That, and the clip on the remote control isn't wide enough to hold onto anything. Using the original earbuds however is the perfect length from my ears, inside my shirt, and into my pants pocket.

JFreak

(will be my first ipod)

according to tech specs, the ac adapter is included in all models.

adam1185
Jul 19, 2004, 09:08 AM
hmmm...for some reason the canadian low-end version is now more expensive...that's bit of a piss off

Rick Friele
Jul 19, 2004, 09:11 AM
I can eBay my mini and with my EDU discount get a 20GB for probably the same price or spend another $100 for the 40GB model.

Decisions, decisions..

Anyone think if they come out with a 60GB that it is going to have better features?

seelab
Jul 19, 2004, 09:12 AM
4th generation ? they should have named it 3,5 rd generation iPod.

Savage Henry
Jul 19, 2004, 09:12 AM
£219 for basic entry white 20gig is the best news Apple could have given me.

It's a step in the right direction that is good for consumer, the investors and the bottom line because they have a better product profile that knocks seven bells out of all competitors.

I'm a happy camper.

Dave00
Jul 19, 2004, 09:13 AM
Supposedly this is a 50% improvement, but my 2nd gen iPod already gets 12 hours (at least, while driving in the car). Actually it's down to around 10 hours now, after 2 years of use.

--Dave

Peyote
Jul 19, 2004, 09:15 AM
That image on Apple's main site is obviously a fake. I am a graphic designer, and that is the worst photoshopping job I've ever seen! It's not even a good fake!

/sarcasm

:D

ericmooreart
Jul 19, 2004, 09:17 AM
I was just about to get another firewire drive for my PB Titanium!!! The 40 gig has my name on it.

My 10 gig pod will now be passed on to my daughter (she seemed to always have it anyway)

machan
Jul 19, 2004, 09:18 AM
new ipod software for everyone, so quit bitching.

jbembe
Jul 19, 2004, 09:18 AM

While it might be nice to have the dock included, I find that it isn't really essential. I bought an aftermarket case (from incase) for the 40gig 3rd gen I have and it has an opening at the bottom to plug the firewire cord into, but the iPod won't fit the dock with the case on. Many times I'm too lazy to remove the iPod from the case just to sit it in the dock, so I don't find the dock such an essential item.

yinyang
Jul 19, 2004, 09:19 AM
That image on Apple's main site is obviously a fake. I am a graphic designer, and that is the worst photoshopping job I've ever seen! It's not even a good fake!

/sarcasm

yeah that's not the REAL steve jobs...! :D

macfan86
Jul 19, 2004, 09:22 AM
I'm on the Order placing Page at Apple.Com and there doesn't seem to be any place to enter your loan account number???

am i missing something here?

jackc
Jul 19, 2004, 09:24 AM
On the features list, it says "Jog without fear — 25 minutes of skip protection"

Is this an improvement or the same as before?

snahabed
Jul 19, 2004, 09:26 AM

And as I am sure you also read, included in this Software Update is:

iPod Software 3.0 -- Click Wheel iPod

iPod Software 1.1 -- iPod mini

iPod Software 2.2 -- iPod with dock connector

iPod Software 1.4 -- Touch Wheel iPod, Scroll Wheel iPod

Hence, the new software is only for new iPods. Frankly, I think 3G (I mean, "iPod with dock connector") owners should quit their whining, simply because I am a 2G owner (I mean, Touch Wheel iPod) who has been shut out for over a year -- and there are TONS more differences between 1.4 and 2.2 than between 2.2 and 3.0! :)

Peyote
Jul 19, 2004, 09:26 AM

FYI...I don't know about anyone else, but this is the same version that I already had on my 3G iPod

macridah
Jul 19, 2004, 09:29 AM
Oh man, the iPod 3.0 software won't work on 3G iPods.

From the readme:

NOTE: iPod Updater 2004-07-15 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2004-04-28 for all other iPod models.

NOTE: iPod 3.0 Software is not compatible with other models of iPod, including original scroll wheel and touch wheel iPods, and iPod mini.

NOTE: iPod Software 2.2 and iPod Software 1.2 should not be used with iPod with Click Wheel

That sucks. The most important feature I wanted was the battery managemant. :mad:

The easier navigation would of been nice, too.

snaildog
Jul 19, 2004, 09:30 AM
just recieved (1 week late) 20g ipod from Apple UK - I hate Apple sometimes

BeanTownBrawler
Jul 19, 2004, 09:30 AM
Any updates on whether or not the stores have them? Im heading over in a sec and will let you guys know when I get back

macfan76
Jul 19, 2004, 09:31 AM
Does anyone know if the Menu/Play and Pause buttons glow in the dark? I didnt see a dark picture of the new iPods on Apple's website. Also, and are the new iPods going to be in stores today?

coelacanth
Jul 19, 2004, 09:33 AM
"Instant gratification available at an Apple retail store"

So they are available at Apple retail store today right?

Do you think I can get one right away if I go down to AP in San Francisco at 10AM today??

BagelTycoon
Jul 19, 2004, 09:34 AM
Although Apple says that 4G iPods will now "benefit from more language support," they don't say (http://www.apple.com/ipod/) which languages were added that weren't supported before.

As predicted, Apple announced (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2004/jul/19ipod.html) the 4th generation iPod today.

Apple's website (http://www.apple.com) has been updated to reflect the new product.

macridah
Jul 19, 2004, 09:35 AM
On the features list, it says "Jog without fear — 25 minutes of skip protection"

Is this an improvement or the same as before?

It use to be 20 minutes. I have gone longer without skipping. It all depends where you have the iPod on you when you jog. The iPod tends to skip (after 20min, usually right around 20min) if it's in front of you, but if you put it on your hip or on your back (right in middle, align with you spinal cord), then you could go over an hour. I guess if iPod shakes like crazy, then it skips after 20min.

CmdrLaForge
Jul 19, 2004, 09:35 AM
20 gig:

40 gig:

20 gig:

40 gig:

(from apple.com/store)

*is confused*

Exactly. Now I am confused as well. I just looked at the store, but you are right, the Spec page says something different. :confused:

iMeowbot
Jul 19, 2004, 09:36 AM
Amazing- the clickwheel has the beautiful brushed metal look of Panther, the displays , and PB's.
Does it? On Apple's pages it looks like it could be a simple gray. When someone gets one in hand, can they clarify?

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 09:42 AM
It use to be 20 minutes. I have gone longer without skipping. It all depends where you have the iPod on you when you jog. The iPod tends to skip (after 20min, usually right around 20min) if it's in front of you, but if you put it on your hip or on your back (right in middle, align with you spinal cord), then you could go over an hour. I guess if iPod shakes like crazy, then it skips after 20min.

If I ran for more than 20 minutes I'd probably pass out and wouldn't notice anyhow... :D

fabsgwu
I don't own an iPod, so please enlighten me. Apple is claiming amongst the list of improvements to the 4G iPod that a song shuffle feature has been added .... what is new and improved about this one?

Yes, they all iPods have shuffle, but i think this new version is like party mix in iTunes (i.e. you can see upcoming songs). Also the big news is you can now sync AND charge with USB 2.0 - This should make it easier for those with PCs, plus both firewire and 2.0 cables are included. :p

yinyang
just recieved (1 week late) 20g ipod from Apple UK - I hate Apple sometimes

ring them and see if they'll do anything for you!

good luck!

mjtomlin
Jul 19, 2004, 09:45 AM
Could someone please explain why this is a good idea?

The design of the iPod (capacity + portability) makes a feature like this seem pointless.

The idea of AirTunes was to enable people to stream music from their desktop system to their stereo system somewhere else in the house. Your iTunes library is then no longer stuck on your computer in the office.

Why on earth would I want to...

1) stream music from my iPod to my stereo when I can just take my iPod to the stereo and plug it in?

2) stream music to my iPod, when i can fit all of my music on it already?

And on top of that... adding WiFi to the iPod will drain the battery rather quickly.

Doesn't make any sense to me!?

BeanTownBrawler
Jul 19, 2004, 09:46 AM
Just went to the Apple Store, no dice :(

The guy said he didnt know when they would get them but I could order online. Gee, thanks

fabsgwu
Jul 19, 2004, 09:48 AM
Could someone please explain why this is a good idea?

The design of the iPod (capacity + portability) makes a feature like this seem pointless.

The idea of AirTunes was to enable people to stream music from their desktop system to their stereo system somewhere else in the house. Your iTunes library is then no longer stuck on your computer in the office.

Why on earth would I want to...

1) stream music from my iPod to my stereo when I can just take my iPod to the stereo and plug it in?

2) stream music to my iPod, when i can fit all of my music on it already?

And on top of that... adding WiFi to the iPod will drain the battery rather quickly.

Doesn't make any sense to me!?

Because then you can sit on your couch and have a $400 remote control for your stereo :p

being_earnest
Jul 19, 2004, 09:50 AM
I ordered the 3G 15GB last week (with a Powerbook) hoping to take advantage of the Cram and Jam promotion. Powerbook shipped yesterday and the iPod was scheduled for later this week. Got a lovely email this morning from Apple saying they've cancelled my iPod order, will be replacing it with a 4G 20GB model and are moving the shipping forward to tomorrow.

I used to dread Mondays!

...and at no additional cost

SWC
Jul 19, 2004, 09:51 AM
I just called the apple store to check and they confirmed the only difference in the dock is the addition of USB 2.0 support for charging and that it is a tiny bit smaller to hold the new iPod BUT the old docks will work just fineyou just can't take advantage of the new "features"

Trekkie
Jul 19, 2004, 09:55 AM
@Trekkie...

RIAA are a load of crying babies (as we all know)... you don't come across many organisations that cry so much... i'm surprised they aren't getting upset about MiniDiscs... you *have* to copy music to use miniDiscs..

That's why blank Mini-Discs cost so much. You're paying the RIAA 'tax' because you steal if you use Mini-Disc.

seelab
Jul 19, 2004, 09:57 AM
Can anyone confirm if the new 40 Go iPod comes with the remote and carrying case like the 3rd Gen or not...
If there is no remote and case, stop advertising they are cheaper !

snaildog
Jul 19, 2004, 09:57 AM
ring them and see if they'll do anything for you!

good luck!

thanks I might do that - wish I hadn't got it engraved though! (daughters secret graduation present) :rolleyes:

Surreal
Jul 19, 2004, 09:58 AM
My only complaint...well...not even a complaint...my only cause for hesitation in lusting after an ipod...is that i can't record.

but i don't think that the reasson has muchh to do with the riaa

wouldnt encoding DESTROY battery life... becuase i assume it would have to compress the audio files (lossless of course, but still)

it would also be an extra jack to be fit in, although i think that is less the concern...

the thing is...i could use it as a hard drive...i can carry my library around with me...but i cant record..if it had tha, i wouldnt be able to control myself. i would HAVE to own an ipod.

but as it is...i am stuck thinking about why they havent added it. and o yea, you can transfer songs without the dock, doesnt the 20 gig come with 3 friggin cables...thereby covering all ossible bases in terms of data transfer...usb 2.0. firewire 4-4 AND 4-6

the main reasson i want a line in for an ipod though..i DON'T want to buy a minidisk recorder. i have always thought they were ok, but i actually read their spec, and the notion of atrac angers me. and converting files to atrac...not a fast and efficient process..and it isnt like you would really choose to play your atrac files on computer...what about the stuff you buy from itunes :-) and other stuff ou simply GET in mp3 or aac...silly sony.

an adapter for the ipod maybe? i want a reason to buy ..REALLY...help me out here...i am getting a decent check and i want a new hard drive...and well...the ipod technically IS a hard drive...

jackc
Jul 19, 2004, 09:59 AM
Apple Store in Soho says no iPods yet. Damn!

Freg3000
Jul 19, 2004, 10:02 AM
I just called the apple store to check and they confirmed the only difference in the dock is the addition of USB 2.0 support for charging and that it is a tiny bit smaller to hold the new iPod BUT the old docks will work just fineyou just can't take advantage of the new "features"

I am glad USB is the only big difference, as I was worried about Apple confusing everyone with multiple docks. Seriously, you know how easy it would be for Joe Consumer to buy the "wrong" dock and his iPod not work? At least it still will work, albeit it without USB 2.0 connectivity.

Conversely, will the 3G iPods work in the new docks? I think they will, but if the new docks are 1mm smaller.....:D

jeffbistrong
Jul 19, 2004, 10:05 AM
Yessss! 12 hour battery life, apple claims, can anybovy validate this? and should they be in stores now . . i wanna go get one . . .this makes me happy, and the redesigned wheel, sooo cool

Andy_Hedin
Jul 19, 2004, 10:05 AM
Although Apple says that 4G iPods will now "benefit from more language support," they don't say (http://www.apple.com/ipod/) which languages were added that weren't supported before.

On the iPod Tech Specs page it lists the following languages for the new iPod:

Languages: Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish and Ukrainian.

Contrast this with the languages supported on the iPod Mini (which I believe are the same as the 3G iPod):
Languages: English, French, German, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Finnish, Swedish, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese.

The new languages appear to be:
Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Greek, Hungarian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Turkish and Ukrainian

BagelTycoon
Jul 19, 2004, 10:06 AM
Yesterday, a guy at Apple's NYC Soho store told me new shipments generally arrive Tue. & Wed.

This came up when I asked when they're getting the AirPort Express in stock (it hasn't been in the store yet), but this would seem to apply to the new 4Gs too.

Apple Store in Soho says no iPods yet. Damn!

Stella
We went through this last year when Apple decided to only give G3 iPod owners the new software.. and not G2.

When us G2 owners complaint on this forum, we were told by G3 owners - "STOP COMPLAINING, YOUR IPOD STILL PLAYS MUSIC. BLAH BLAH ".

Well, I hope those G3 owners aren't complaining now about the new features in the G4s, that aren't available in their G3 iPods through software updates...

Yeah, that does suck, seeing as I've only had my gorgeous 3G 15G iPod for a year, and would like to take advantage of the new software features. I did look at the software download page, and apparently we get a few bones tossed our direction:

bathysphere
My only complaint...well...not even a complaint...my only cause for hesitation in lusting after an ipod...is that i can't record.

but i don't think that the reasson has muchh to do with the riaa

wouldnt encoding DESTROY battery life... becuase i assume it would have to compress the audio files (lossless of course, but still)

it would also be an extra jack to be fit in, although i think that is less the concern...

the thing is...i could use it as a hard drive...i can carry my library around with me...but i cant record..if it had tha, i wouldnt be able to control myself. i would HAVE to own an ipod.

but as it is...i am stuck thinking about why they havent added it. and o yea, you can transfer songs without the dock, doesnt the 20 gig come with 3 friggin cables...thereby covering all ossible bases in terms of data transfer...usb 2.0. firewire 4-4 AND 4-6

the main reasson i want a line in for an ipod though..i DON'T want to buy a minidisk recorder. i have always thought they were ok, but i actually read their spec, and the notion of atrac angers me. and converting files to atrac...not a fast and efficient process..and it isnt like you would really choose to play your atrac files on computer...what about the stuff you buy from itunes :-) and other stuff ou simply GET in mp3 or aac...silly sony.

an adapter for the ipod maybe? i want a reason to buy ..REALLY...help me out here...i am getting a decent check and i want a new hard drive...and well...the ipod technically IS a hard drive...

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/italk/
this is what i use to record audio onto my 3g ipod. it has a built in mic, and a line in (mini). i use this to record audio for videos.

joeboy_45101
Jul 19, 2004, 10:07 AM
That software update is a worthless download. It adds nothing to my 15GB, and since nobody has a 4Gen. right now it's utterly useless. Would it kill Apple to release an update for the 3Gen's that actually fixes the battery meter problem. But all in all I'm not very impressed with the new iPods, they just added a click wheel and updated the user interface, granted the battery performance is better.

tomjleeds
Jul 19, 2004, 10:07 AM
on the Mac.

Ih-uh. Not happening - Sony's first HD player hasn't even arrived yet, and it'll be the NW-HD1 which is coming out August/September. It's tiny, it looks great, but...it only plays ATRAC. Doh! :mad:

We went through this last year when Apple decided to only give G3 iPod owners the new software.. and not G2.

When us G2 owners complaint on this forum, we were told by G3 owners - "STOP COMPLAINING, YOUR IPOD STILL PLAYS MUSIC. BLAH BLAH ".

Well, I hope those G3 owners aren't complaining now about the new features in the G4s, that aren't available in their G3 iPods through software updates...

I have to agree with you there - it drove me mad when my 10GB 2G didn't get any of the 3G updates. As you were, I was told by everyone to stop complaining, so I hope all those people aren't going to complain this time!

Note: I've just sold my 10GB 2G and ordered a 20GB 4G :D

ewinemiller
Jul 19, 2004, 10:08 AM
ok. 3g owners:

how do you put shuffle in the main menu? am i being dense? :(

and yeah, although i think updating the product is great, i'm a little upset that there is no software update
Neon,

I don't have my iPod with me, but down in the options there was something about main menu. When you opened that up, there was a list of things you could put on the main menu, some were checked, some not. Shuffle was one of the options. After checking it, Shuffle shows on the main menu.

Regards

Foxer
Jul 19, 2004, 10:08 AM
Called my local Apple Store. Wednesday or Thursday.

Duff-Man
Jul 19, 2004, 10:10 AM
Can anyone confirm if the new 40 Go iPod comes with the remote and carrying case like the 3rd Gen or not...
If there is no remote and case, stop advertising they are cheaper !Duff-Man says....read the other posts in the thread and read the specifications at Apple's site.....oh yeah!

JCT
Jul 19, 2004, 10:12 AM
Talk about a dilemma.

Just did the Cram and Jam (of course!). :eek:

I currently have a 2G 10GB iPod that is still working OK, but the opportunity to upgrade to the 15GB 3G for a net cost of $70 was too tempting. My main reason for upgrading was the Dock connector, much easier to find accessories that work with it, plus there are 2 other iPods in the house (a 3G and a Mini), so if I had a 3G we could share accessories.

Even though the new 15GB 3G is still shrink-wrapped, Apple won't let me switch it to the new one and stay with the promotion. Even though the promotion now includes the new versions :mad:

Basically sucks because I really like the click-wheel on my daughter's Mini. But I'm not going to shell out full price for a new iPod 4G when mine still works.

I'm thinking of just sending the 3G back and sticking with my old 2G, mainly due to the complaints I have heard about the poor battery life on the 3G and the annoyance of the 4 buttons across the top, e.g. accidental turn-ons, etc.

For those of you who have used the 3G (particularly if you upgraded from 2G -> 3G) do you have any advice?

And no, EBAY is not an option, too time-consuming.

Appreciate the help,

JT

Andy_Hedin
Jul 19, 2004, 10:14 AM
Neon,

I don't have my iPod with me, but down in the options there was something about main menu. When you opened that up, there was a list of things you could put on the main menu, some were checked, some not. Shuffle was one of the options. After checking it, Shuffle shows on the main menu.

Regards

On my 3G 20GB iPod (running version 2.2 firmware), the option to add "Shuffle" to the main menu is not available. What iPod do you own and what firmware are you using?

mainstreetmark
Jul 19, 2004, 10:14 AM
Sometimes you people wish for magic.

Sticking a wifi broadcaster in there in order to broadcast to an Airport Express doesn't come free (electrically speaking). Decoding to Apple Lossless and broadcasting over a 4.6GHz digital wireless network would require more power and more 'mass' to the iPod.

...and then it'd only be compatible for those scant few of us who have an Ae in the first place. Why would I want to carry around all this crap all day long when I don't even have an Ae at home, much less one in my car! A standard FM broadcaster is both smaller and cheaper, and requires less battery and is universally compatible.

It's silly to expect iPod to broadcast to an Ae any time soon, to appease the 0.1% of the userbase with an Ae, while ignoring the 100% of us who have an FM receiver laying around.

(And, the older iPods could shuffle/not-shuffle just fine. The option to do so is just now on the front. Additionally, the Dock is only useful if you wanna stand your iPod up, or if you want Line Out. You can charge and sync without it)

Veldek
Jul 19, 2004, 10:15 AM
Yessss! 12 hour battery life, apple claims, can anybovy validate this?

I wonder how anybody could validate this, as these new iPods aren't even out for 12 hours yet... ;)

DWKlink
Jul 19, 2004, 10:18 AM
I wonder how anybody could validate this, as these new iPods aren't even out for 12 hours yet... ;)

That's awesome!

MacBoyX
Jul 19, 2004, 10:19 AM
Have you heard specifically that the new ipods will not work with the old docks? Im not certain, but I think they will. Because if they dont work with the old docks then they will also not work with other third party devices that dock with the ipod in a similar way.

Right from Apple's site...

iPod Dock (new Click Wheel models)

Just plug, unplug, and go. The iPod Dock makes charging and syncing easier than ever. A convenient and elegant home base for iPod on a desk or connected to a home stereo system, the dock provides charging and syncing via FireWire or USB 2.0*, and a stereo line out for simple connection to power speakers or a stereo system.

Supports new iPod with Click Wheel (20GB or 40GB) only. For an iPod Dock accessory kit for prior generation iPod with Dock Connector, use M9130G/A iPod Dock kit.

I only hope the 40 fits my 20's accessories like my inMotion :(

SilentPanda
Jul 19, 2004, 10:20 AM

Duh... using the iTimeMachine that Apple releases in 2011 (for $499!) I have checked my iPod that I'm getting on Friday and it only lasts for 11 hours...

But don't worry. In 2008 the iPod will fit in your nose and you'll just have to drink Pepsi to keep it running. I'm not sure why the didn't make it fit in your ear instead but... probably something to do with heat.

iMeowbot
Jul 19, 2004, 10:25 AM
4) Get rid of that silly scratch prone crome on the ipod. They could still maintain the white on silver look by using bruched aluminium on the rear.
That's polished stainless steel, not chrome. They can't easily replace the steel; it's springy, strong and thin. Aluminum doesn't like to spring back when stretched, and deforms easily if that thin, especially if it's a flat sheet. (not a problem for the mini because its body is a single extruded tube; the rounded sides are really reinforcing ribs.)

Stainless looks dull gray when not polished, see the etched logo on an existing iPod to get an idea. A more brushed finish on stainless gives a harsh industrial look, almost like galvanized; picture a kitchen sink. Yecch.

You're right about the audio specs, all they tell you is the frequency response. Personally I'm okay with that, since distortion numbers and so on don't really serve that well to determine if something actually sounds good.

CubaTBird
Jul 19, 2004, 10:29 AM
ipod mini owners are also left out in the dust in terms of the software update also. its not just us 3g users. but still... is there a place on apples web site where we could send them an email about this? or perhaps complain on their ipod message boards. :p

kirk26
Jul 19, 2004, 10:29 AM
That software update is a worthless download. It adds nothing to my 15GB, and since nobody has a 4Gen. right now it's utterly useless. Would it kill Apple to release an update for the 3Gen's that actually fixes the battery meter problem. But all in all I'm not very impressed with the new iPods, they just added a click wheel and updated the user interface, granted the battery performance is better.

First day the new iPods are release and people are whining like babies! Give it a rest.

mudflapper
Jul 19, 2004, 10:31 AM
I just bought my 15GB 3G on July 7th. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet. my receipt says I have 7 days to return my iPod. (If it's opened, you have to pay a restocking fee too.) My question is, since my iPod is so new, will Apple exchange it for a new 4G 20GB model? I honestly didn't think they were going to update all of the models so soon. :-(

I mean, good for Apple, of course. I just feel left out now and I would really love the new features.

I would think there's no firmware update for my model coming anytime soon either. THAT sucks. I feel like I bought a G4 a day before the G5 shipped or something.

wdlove
Jul 19, 2004, 10:31 AM
I'm going too visit my local Apple Store today. So maybe I'll get to see one of the new iPods in person.

iMeowbot
Jul 19, 2004, 10:34 AM
Right from Apple's site...

iPod Dock (new Click Wheel models)
[...]
Supports new iPod with Click Wheel (20GB or 40GB) only. For an iPod Dock accessory kit for prior generation iPod with Dock Connector, use M9130G/A iPod Dock kit.

I only hope the 40 fits my 20's accessories like my inMotion :(
Someone will just have to test it out. then! It could be that the new dock is simply molded differently to accommodate the new thinner body. Maybe the electrical connections are the same (and maybe not).

CubaTBird
Jul 19, 2004, 10:34 AM
yea u could return if its been less than 7 days as u said but u do have to pay the restocking fee which is 10% of the original price

Andy_Hedin
Jul 19, 2004, 10:35 AM
but still... is there a place on apples web site where we could send them an email about this? or perhaps complain on their ipod message boards. :p
Here you go:
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

sethypoo
Jul 19, 2004, 10:35 AM
I just bought my 15GB 3G on July 7th. It hasn't been 2 weeks yet. my receipt says I have 7 days to return my iPod. (If it's opened, you have to pay a restocking fee too.) My question is, since my iPod is so new, will Apple exchange it for a new 4G 20GB model? I honestly didn't think they were going to update all of the models so soon. :-(

I mean, good for Apple, of course. I just feel left out now and I would really love the new features.

I would think there's no firmware update for my model coming anytime soon either. THAT sucks. I feel like I bought a G4 a day before the G5 shipped or something.

I know how you feel. I would call Apple and complain; I've found that they like to keep their customers happy, so they very well may let you pay a restocking fee and give you a 4G 20GB iPod.

Worse comes to worse, just sell it on eBay, and put what you earn to a new 20GB iPod.

puckhead193
Jul 19, 2004, 10:36 AM
Is that college deal where u buy and powerbook/ibook etc and ipod availibe for these new ones...if so i well sell my 30 gig to a friend and buy a new one... even though i don't like the new wheel, i like 12 hrs of battery life!

Allon
Duff-Man says....read the other posts in the thread and read the specifications at Apple's site.....oh yeah!

As you can read in those other posts you refer to, there is quite some confusion about this matter, due to Apple's ambigious website. Oh yeah ;)

g4cubed
First day the new iPods are release and people are whining like babies! Give it a rest.

Just goes to show you, you can't make everyone happy.
I'll will be when the 60s come out. ;)

Peter Kim
Jul 19, 2004, 10:38 AM
So I just got off the phone with Apple asking about the 40gb click-wheel remote/carrying case issue. after a little bit off haggling they agreed to send me either a remote or a carrying case free of charge. i suggest you all give them a call if you ordered a 40gb too.

fabsgwu

And added native USB 2.0 charging and syncing out-of-the-box; that's huge for PC buyers.

JCT
Is that college deal where u buy and powerbook/ibook etc and ipod availibe for these new ones.

Yes, I was told this morning that the new iPods qualify for the Cram and Jam promotion. Too bad I used this promotion *last week*. :(

JT

devwild
Jul 19, 2004, 10:39 AM
Um, the software update doesn't include easier shuffle for the 3G? Please apple, this is the most annoying feature besides battery life, if you aren't going to support current models that have sold like hotcakes, forget about future purchases from me.

fabsgwu
Jul 19, 2004, 10:40 AM
There's going to be a whole lotta iPods on eBay I predict :D

croooow
Jul 19, 2004, 10:41 AM
But all in all I'm not very impressed with the new iPods, they just added a click wheel and updated the user interface, granted the battery performance is better.

Apple can't make everyone happy. I have read 100s of posts of people who said they don't care about color screens, video playback, color options for the body all they wanted was better battery life.

virividox
Jul 19, 2004, 10:42 AM
nice update waiting for the 60s tho

supafly1703
Jul 19, 2004, 10:43 AM
you download the iPod Updater 3.0? Will it work on 3G iPods? Any way to hack the update from the updater?

snahabed
Jul 19, 2004, 10:44 AM
If having no remote and no carrying case helps bring down the price, I am all for it. While I am sure some people use them, I don't know a soul who does.

The only necessary accessories to me are earbuds, cables, and dock.

Of course, I am waiting for a 60GB :)

iMeowbot
Jul 19, 2004, 10:44 AM
Would it kill Apple to release an update for the 3Gen's that actually fixes the battery meter problem.
Yeah, it kind of would. The problem is really the battery technology, not the way they display the level. The battery's output doesn't always match up with the overall charge, so any charge-left indication will be a guess at best.

iMeowbot
Jul 19, 2004, 10:47 AM
you download the iPod Updater 3.0? Will it work on 3G iPods?
No, the installer polls the iPod to determine what version to load.
Any way to hack the update from the updater?
Unfortunately it's a monolithic image, you can't pick and choose programs to install. The 3.0 image will be missing hardware support for the older models.

iomar
Jul 19, 2004, 10:47 AM
I wonder why we didn't get the 60GB Update now. That is what I want. The 40GB sounds good, I might end up getting that.. I don't know if I can wait another month or 2 for 60GB.

Andy_Hedin
Jul 19, 2004, 10:51 AM
I wonder why we didn't get the 60GB Update now. That is what I want. The 40GB sounds good, I might end up getting that.. I don't know if I can wait another month or 2 for 60GB.
Probably because the hard drive supplier (Toshiba I believe) hasn't shipped the drives to Apple yet.

coelacanth
Jul 19, 2004, 10:53 AM
I'll go to Apple Store San Francisco this morning anyway, but probably no 4G iPods in stock today, right??

aaaah. I can't wait any more.

Matt T.
Jul 19, 2004, 10:55 AM
Well, I'd like to take this opportunity to say that my 5G (which I bought the first month the iPod was introduced) is still running great. I used it daily for 2 years, then gave it to my mother, who does the same.

I moved up to a gen 2 iPod.

Most importantly, the original button pattern is back. This was something that would have stopped me from getting a new one. That said, 10 gigs is fine for me (just use moderately smart playlists).

snack
Jul 19, 2004, 10:56 AM

i know, i fully hoped for some new life into my ipod. looks like yesterday's ipod is stuck at 2.2, and today's is 3.0+. perhaps we should request 2.3 at www.apple.com/feedback/ipod.html

Codemonkey
Jul 19, 2004, 11:04 AM
So... I was wondering.

Yeah, I know, dangerous territory. :-P

But anyway. I was wondering if these minor aesthetic changes and increased drive sizes (read: cropped low-end models) have anything to do with the new (delayed) iMacs.

I was just thinking about my Snow 600 with a 40 gig drive (which has over 20 gigs free still)... what if they were to integrate the iPod into the new iMacs somehow? Especially with the elusive rumor of the ability to sync your home folder.... just dock your iPod into the new iMacs and voila. The 20 gig would be kinda restrictive, but would work, and more specifically the 40 and whatever other sizes they come out with would be ideal.

So, to sum it up:
- Minor aesthetic changes cover up the slight-of-hand ditching of the 15gig model (sweetened with a 'price drop'). Larger capacities are great for musicians and pirates, but not for general consumers. There has to be an underlying purpose to massive HD's in an MP3 player.
- New iMacs are fairly heavily delayed. Could mean some real groundbreaking design changes
- "Home on iPod" feature never materialized, but seems to be a no-brainer
- Mix with 1 part overactive imagination

Oh, and one more thing: the 1mm smaller size means that only the 4G iPods would be able to "dock" with the new iMac.

joeboy_45101
Jul 19, 2004, 11:05 AM
Apple can't make everyone happy. I have read 100s of posts of people who said they don't care about color screens, video playback, color options for the body all they wanted was better battery life.

Don't get me wrong I am very happy, and I love the iPod. But I was expecting some feature that would really stand out. Like an optional dock with wireless syncing. I think that would be cool. It boggles my mind as to why Apple would release a software update that actually does not update anything. Let's say you reciece a brand new 4Gen. iPod, the software needed to run the thing is included, and there's no need for the download. And they are offering no new features right now to the millions of 3Gen. owners, so this software update is completely worthless to everybody.

TWinbrook46636
Jul 19, 2004, 11:10 AM
XM? Daily.

AM/FM? Rarely, if ever.

There is a new format called HD Radio which is a digital signal broadcast alongside the AM or FM signal. It gives AM broadcasts near FM quality sound and FM broadcasts near CD quality sound. Best of all it's free. It would set Apple even further above the competition. Of course, it wouldn't solve the problem of having ten different stations owned by the same media conclomerate all playing the same top40 dren.

paulypants
Jul 19, 2004, 11:12 AM
So I just got off the phone with Apple asking about the 40gb click-wheel remote/carrying case issue. after a little bit off haggling they agreed to send me either a remote or a carrying case free of charge. i suggest you all give them a call if you ordered a 40gb too.

I'm not sure what you mean? According to the tech specs page the 40gb
comes with both the remote and carrying case...or are you referring to
something else?

croooow
Jul 19, 2004, 11:17 AM
Like an optional dock with wireless syncing.

That would be cool, but would the dock still need to be plugged into something for power or will that be rechargeable as well?

neon
Jul 19, 2004, 11:18 AM
I'm not sure what you mean? According to the tech specs page the 40gb
comes with both the remote and carrying case...or are you referring to
something else?
there was some confusion because one page was saying it did, and one was saying it didnt...

markoibook
Jul 19, 2004, 11:19 AM
Don't get me wrong I am very happy, and I love the iPod. But I was expecting some feature that would really stand out. Like an optional dock with wireless syncing. I think that would be cool. It boggles my mind as to why Apple would release a software update that actually does not update anything. Let's say you reciece a brand new 4Gen. iPod, the software needed to run the thing is included, and there's no need for the download. And they are offering no new features right now to the millions of 3Gen. owners, so this software update is completely worthless to everybody.

I think the reason for releasing the update is so that when people have their new iPods in the next few days, they will be able to reset it back to factory standard if they need too.

As for not updating the 3G iPods - well from what i gather the 4G is not that much different, and so if the 3G had the same functionality, it would be harder for them to sell the new models - the same happened in the transition from 2G to 3G.

soypunk
Jul 19, 2004, 11:21 AM
The 40gb does not come with the with the remote or carrying case - it is an error on the tech spec pages and Apple is currently fixing it. If you ordered an iPod this morning you might want to look into having your orders fixed to include the items you thought you were getting (as Kim has noted and several others in forums around the web, Apple is acknowledging the error and adding the items at no charge to the order.)

ThomasJefferson
Jul 19, 2004, 11:26 AM
Yawn.
Another step sideways.

Someone wake me up when they ship my new powerbook...

ZZZzzzzzzzz........

jeffgarden
Jul 19, 2004, 11:29 AM
My 2G iPod has shuffle, it just takes about 4 menus to get to it if I remember right. Now it's a 'from the top' feature since it was considered popular. I know I used it all the time.

In addition to just being able to get to the shuffle mode easier, you can now listen to albums in order and still listen to your library on shuffle.

Because Pink Floyd is hardly Pink Floyd on shuffle :p

I'm guessing they still have the option to make everything shuffle though. In case you want to browse by artist and hear all songs from 1 artist on shuffle. Or maybe when you click shuffle the next menu is "Library" "Artist" "Song" etc. I guess that makes the most sense

Peter Kim
Jul 19, 2004, 11:30 AM
The 40gb does not come with the with the remote or carrying case - it is an error on the tech spec pages and Apple is currently fixing it. If you ordered an iPod this morning you might want to look into having your orders fixed to include the items you thought you were getting (as Kim has noted and several others in forums around the web, Apple is acknowledging the error and adding the items at no charge to the order.)

check out the link here to see: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70203/wo/mH5uq8bfHuDM3BEkVJY1VSdrUAe/0.0.7.1.0.6.21.1.0.1.0.0.0.1.0

just to warn you though, you have to push it a bit with the apple reps. when they first said that they couldn't do anything about it, i (gently) accused them of not honoring their tech specs page. he told me that the reason others had gotten an email telling them they were getting a free remote and carrying case was because their orders had been upgraded from the old 40gb which included the two items. another 10 minutes on hold as he talked to his higher-up and i had either the remote or the case! i'm sure i could've gotten both if i'd pushed more but all i really needed was the remote since i'd have gotten a different case anyway.

trox_355
Jul 19, 2004, 11:32 AM
Just called the Southpoint Apple store in Durham, and they said they do not have the G4 in stock, but should be receiving more information by Wednesday.

LaMerVipere
Jul 19, 2004, 11:33 AM
Apple hasn't seemed to have updated the gallery on the BUY page yet:

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=iPod

minor issue really :rolleyes:

Windowlicker
Jul 19, 2004, 11:37 AM

1.) ain't gonna happen
2.) this would've been really really cool, and why not possible too..?
3.) KICK ASS! I really like this idea, because I always liked the color thing apple started. I also like this minimalistic white/brushed metal look they have now, but ipod is a product that can have colors. so why not? ...of course it could be turned off just like the backlight on the 3rd. a very nice idea indeed.

ewinemiller
Jul 19, 2004, 11:39 AM
On my 3G 20GB iPod (running version 2.2 firmware), the option to add "Shuffle" to the main menu is not available. What iPod do you own and what firmware are you using?

I have a 3G 30GB. I'm not sure what the firmware version is, but will look it up when I get home. The firmware is pretty recent though. I downloaded it fresh a couple months ago when I decided to keep it synched with my PC laptop instead of my quicksilver.

nina
Jul 19, 2004, 11:40 AM
Hey, guys - don't know if this is new info or not, but according to Joswiak, there are "no plans in regard to announcing 60-gigabyte models", since Apple is "trying to create a much more compelling lineup with two models for 20 and 40 gigabytes at extremely compelling prices."

So if you're holding out for a 60GB, you might be waiting for a while (assuming this is true)!

Full article here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20040719/tc_nm/tech_apple_dc

trox_355
Jul 19, 2004, 11:41 AM
I ordered a 40GB this morning from the education store, and am on hold right now trying to ensure I will get the remote and carrying case as promised on the specs page. How many people have been successful with this so far?

degrush
Jul 19, 2004, 11:44 AM
They have updated the tech spec page. The 40 Gb does not include the case and remote.

nina
Jul 19, 2004, 11:44 AM
Looks like the iPod 'Tech Specs' page has been updated - the 40GB no longer lists the remote as included.

http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

If you've ordered one and you were going to call and haggle, do it fast!!

Andy_Hedin
Jul 19, 2004, 11:45 AM
I have a 3G 30GB. I'm not sure what the firmware version is, but will look it up when I get home. The firmware is pretty recent though. I downloaded it fresh a couple months ago when I decided to keep it synched with my PC laptop instead of my quicksilver.
That sounds like the same firmware that I'm running, I believe it was released on April 29th, or thereabouts.

Please take a look at your iPod, as I can't possibly see how you managed to get the "Shuffle" item to appear at the top-level menu on a 3G iPod running 2.2 firmware.

seelab
Jul 19, 2004, 11:57 AM
Please, can anyone confirm if the new 40 Go iPod comes with the remote and carrying case like the 3rd Gen or not...
If there is no remote and case, STOP advertising they are cheaper !

seelab
Jul 19, 2004, 11:58 AM
Ok, so they are not included. I hate Apple.

romerom
Jul 19, 2004, 11:59 AM
The touchwheel looks great. Just need to come up with a use for an iPod and I will get one!!! Just for music, no way could I justify the expense especially as I have a 2000€ Apple computer to listen to.

maybe one day you will leave the house - then it will all make sense :)

croooow
Jul 19, 2004, 12:03 PM
It still reads Don't Buy - Updates soon but should read Buy Now! - Product just updated and have its Days Since Update: changed from 195 to 0

I came back from the Apple Store near DC (Arlington VA, Market Common at Clarendon) They don't have the iPods until tomorrow Afternoon or Wednesday. They will be selling the 3G ipods they have for $249, 299 and 399 (for 15,20 and 40). If the 4Gs weren't going to be available so soon I might have considered paying $349 for a 40GB 3G. But it seems there won't be a shortage like the mini.

paulypants
Jul 19, 2004, 12:04 PM
Hey, guys - don't know if this is new info or not, but according to Joswiak, there are "no plans in regard to announcing 60-gigabyte models", since Apple is "trying to create a much more compelling lineup with two models for 20 and 40 gigabytes at extremely compelling prices."

So if you're holding out for a 60GB, you might be waiting for a while (assuming this is true)!

Full article here: http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=738&e=1&u=/nm/20040719/tc_nm/tech_apple_dc

Yeah no 60gb for awhile--hope those who are waiting are willing to waaaaaaiiittt... :p

CmdrLaForge
Jul 19, 2004, 12:04 PM
Yippieeee .... just ordered
iPod mini Pink
and
iPod 20 GB 4th gen

my very first iPods :D :D :D

iamtext
Jul 19, 2004, 12:05 PM

Trekkie
Jul 19, 2004, 12:06 PM
Why isn't Apple offering 1 or even 2 day shipping for these new beauties?

Seems odd to me.
Anybody have any idea?

Are these being shipped from Taiwan? It seems like Apple Retail Stores already have them in Stock.

Not sure what you're asking. When I ordered the 40GB model it told me ships in 1-2 days, and let me pick 2-day air (one day was an option) for shipping...