PDA

View Full Version : EyeTV iPhone App Pulled by Apple, Revised Version Submitted

MacRumors
Oct 17, 2009, 10:42 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/17/eyetv-iphone-app-pulled-by-apple-revised-version-submitted/)

Yesterday, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/16/eyetv-easter-egg-allows-for-video-streaming-via-3g-networks/) that an easter egg had been discovered in Elgato's EyeTV iPhone application that allowed users to stream live TV to their devices over 3G wireless networks. While the workaround had been present since the application's launch late last month, it hadn't gained significant publicity until yesterday, and Apple quickly moved to pull the application from the App Store due to its agreement with AT&T not to allow television signals to be "redirected" to mobile devices.

According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Elgato has issued a statement (http://blogs.twincities.com/yourtechweblog/2009/10/apple-clamps-down-on-elgato-tv-streaming-iphone-app.html) claiming that the feature was related to test code that the company failed to remove from the application prior to submitting it to Apple and noting that a revised version of the application lacking the functionality has been submitted for App Store review.Apple's response, on AT&T's behalf, was swift. Elgato's Mike Evangelist told me the following in an e-mail just now:

"Some test code that enabled live TV streaming over the cellular network was accidentally left in the EyeTV app. Apple requested that we remove the code since their agreement with AT&T does not allow redirecting TV signals over the cellular network. The code was removed and a 1.0.1 version of the EyeTV app was submitted. We expect EyeTV to return to the App Store when the 1.0.1 version is approved."

Article Link: EyeTV iPhone App Pulled by Apple, Revised Version Submitted (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/17/eyetv-iphone-app-pulled-by-apple-revised-version-submitted/)

Longey Nowze
Oct 17, 2009, 10:56 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I don't understand why AT&T gets to decide, interfere with the choices and features available to iPhone users around the world! If my carrier is better equiped or even just less of a tyrrant why do we get to suffer?!

Don't developers have a choice where to offer their apps? I'm sorry to say this, but why don't they offer their Crippled apps just in the US store?! Why do we have to suffer?!

iVoid
Oct 17, 2009, 11:01 AM
Guess I won't be updating this app any time soon. :) :P

Kilamite
Oct 17, 2009, 11:33 AM
Got the work around to work - though it is pretty laggy. It'll play fine for 10 secs then stop, buffer for a minute or so.

It'd be great if it worked flawlessly!

hanpa
Oct 17, 2009, 11:45 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

I don't understand why AT&T gets to decide, interfere with the choices and features available to iPhone users around the world! If my carrier is better equiped or even just less of a tyrrant why do we get to suffer?!

Don't developers have a choice where to offer their apps? I'm sorry to say this, but why don't they offer their Crippled apps just in the US store?! Why do we have to suffer?!

I agree. The rest of the should not have crippled apps due to the agreement between Apple and AT&T. This is one of the reasons why jailbreaking using e.g. 3gunrestrictor is more or less required. I don't want to jailbreak but I probably will sooner or later. The agreement is not valid in my country!

Shoesy
Oct 17, 2009, 12:31 PM
Alright - who was the grass?

;)

jmann
Oct 17, 2009, 12:35 PM
Did they pull the "killswitch" on this app?

RoboCop001
Oct 17, 2009, 12:39 PM
They make restrictions, and we fall back.

They get rid of entire apps, and we fall back.

Well not again. The line must be drawn HEAH! This fahhh NO FAHHTHER!

And IIIIIIII will make them PAY for what they've done!!!!

dukebound85
Oct 17, 2009, 12:52 PM
im getting tired of this "unlimited data" plan im paying for and not being able to use it as i see fit

knewsom
Oct 17, 2009, 01:01 PM
When the FCC finally clamps down and throws Apple and ATT in the slammer, I think I know who will be pitching and who will be catching in their shower-room encounters. :eek:

kas23
Oct 17, 2009, 01:01 PM
This proves, beyond any reasonable dispute, that AT&T plays a significant role in the app approval process. This is in direct violation of the FCC's vision of net neutrality. I hope the FCC is privy to this latest move.

Mr. Gates
Oct 17, 2009, 01:09 PM
AT&T can burn in hell.

TraceyS/FL
Oct 17, 2009, 01:17 PM
I agree. The rest of the should not have crippled apps due to the agreement between Apple and AT&T. This is one of the reasons why jailbreaking using e.g. 3gunrestrictor is more or less required. I don't want to jailbreak but I probably will sooner or later. The agreement is not valid in my country!

I agree.... why should the rest of the world have to suffer because of AT&T? Bad enough the US has too.....

LoganT
Oct 17, 2009, 01:37 PM
Got the work around to work - though it is pretty laggy. It'll play fine for 10 secs then stop, buffer for a minute or so.

It'd be great if it worked flawlessly!

Change the quality of the stream. When you're in Live TV and looking at the guide press the gears button at the top right corner and slide the the kbps to a lower quality.

rstone3
Oct 17, 2009, 02:04 PM
Guess I won't be updating this app any time soon. :) :P

Ditto - I'll have to update apps one at a time very carefully. I suspect this functionality will return once iPhone not just on AT&T network.

jordanh91
Oct 17, 2009, 02:48 PM
When the FCC finally clamps down and throws Apple and ATT in the slammer, I think I know who will be pitching and who will be catching in their shower-room encounters. :eek: Yeah, AT&T doesn't need to be domineering Apple like this :( I'm sure someone has already said this, but isnt it rather redundant that AT&T isn't letting us stream video from an app store app, yet they allow YouTube to be accessed by thousands of users everyday?(rough estimate) :/

Man will I be glad when Apple and AT&T split. :D

Eddyisgreat
Oct 17, 2009, 03:04 PM
Just great. Can we backup .ipa's if our phones aren't jail broken? I need to keep it just incase I hit update.

jordanh91
Oct 17, 2009, 03:15 PM
Just great. Can we backup .ipa's if our phones aren't jail broken? I need to keep it just incase I hit update.Yes, they are located in either:

~/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications/

or, if you've recently updated iTunes,

~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications

~ meaning your user folder. :)

fpnc
Oct 17, 2009, 03:15 PM
Yeah, AT&T doesn't need to be domineering Apple like this :( I'm sure someone has already said this, but isnt it rather redundant that AT&T isn't letting us stream video from an app store app, yet they allow YouTube to be accessed by thousands of users everyday?(rough estimate)...
There are a lot of iPhone apps in the iTunes Store that allow video streaming. It's only live TV that can't be streamed. You can, however, stream TV that has been pre-recorded (i.e. time shifted).

I'm not certain why they make this distinction, but it could be because AT&T's legal team is afraid that they could get in trouble for enabling the rebroadcasting of live TV. Also, I suspect there could be a "crush" of users if breaking news occurred and everyone attempted to view CNN at the same moment on their iPhones.

jordanh91
Oct 17, 2009, 03:24 PM
There are a lot of iPhone apps in the iTunes Store that allow video streaming. It's only live TV that can't be streamed. You can, however, stream TV that has been pre-recorded (i.e. time shifted).
That's what I meant. :)

Still, it's not like watching streaming live tv (at low quality) is going to bring the whole network down, but then again, you can't be sure with AT&T. :D

edit: I suppose it could be due to legality as well. I don't see users selling iPhone quality streamed tv, though...

utazdevl
Oct 17, 2009, 03:34 PM
I hate in any way shape or form to seem like I am defending AT&T, but it is possible that this is not an issue of streaming or clogging their network. It is possible that this is a rights issue, and AT&T might not have the ownership/rights to allow users to stream Live TV over their networks, or at least their concern is that some content on Live TV have independently sold rights to their product being shown live on the net (for example, the Sporting Leagues typically sell the rights to stream their games on the net to different companies than the networks that broadcast their games on TV and/or radio).

Wi-Fi is out of the AT&T network and streaming pre-recorded elements is basically just accessing your computer and its data you have recorded on the hard drive (which AT&T accepts no responsibility for). Streaming Live TV might get into a whole royalties issue with the networks and producers. This might explain Slingbox as well, as (correct me if I am wrong) that only allows you to stream on Wi-Fi.

This would be similar to the XM/Sirius application, that does not allow you to listen to things like MLB over the app, as XM/Sirius does not own the internet rights to the product, so they cannot distribute it.

I have no inside information or anything, so I might be talking out of my butt, but this might not be AT&T's fault.

kiljoy616
Oct 17, 2009, 04:30 PM
I see more of copy right issues and problems with how copyrights work in today's world, until we resolve that this is going to be a problem we will see again.

But with ATT sucking and bitching about their network issues I can also see ATT saying if we allow this and many people start doing it say on the weekend we could see areas basically going down the tube when it comes to speed. Maybe all this will be resolve if we finally get real copyright legislation or 4G comes out and actually does what it promises, we can only wait and see what the next excuse will be.

kdarling
Oct 17, 2009, 04:38 PM
It's not a copyright issue.

The Verizon Wireless contract specifically allows streaming video on their network.

SimonTheSoundMa
Oct 17, 2009, 04:56 PM
I canít wait for AT&T to loose their exclusivity. They are interfering with development because of their sub-standard network. The iPhone OS platform is being held back by them.

Apple need to get a grip and see what other platforms, phone operators and countries are doing.

3G in the UK is advertised as a network for video and audio streaming, iPhone is the only device which does not do this.

Anyone in the USA want to complain to the FCC?

optophobia
Oct 17, 2009, 05:12 PM
Alright - who was the grass?

;)

Um... Macrumors ? :rolleyes:

utazdevl
Oct 17, 2009, 05:15 PM

The Verizon Wireless contract specifically allows streaming video on their network.

Not doubting you, but streaming Video and Streaming Live TV are very different things. You can stream video on AT&T, but not Live TV.

I would be curious as to what the Verizon contract says, if you don't mind sharing.

Anyone know if any of the US carriers stream live tv over their data plans? Honestly, I have long been surprised no one has bragged that with their phone and cel service, you can watch broadcast TV live, exactly as you would on your home TV. Basically, a "Live TV Anywhere" campaign. I would consider any carrier and devise who provided that.

xxmendozaxx
Oct 17, 2009, 05:15 PM
this unlimited plan i pay, is BS.
fcc should investigate them, i think we should get free mobile tv & free turn by turn wit the unlimited plan. xp

kdarling
Oct 17, 2009, 05:28 PM
Not doubting you, but streaming Video and Streaming Live TV are very different things. You can stream video on AT&T, but not Live TV.

If it were a copyright issue, then nobody could legally use Slingbox over 3G or WiFi.

I would be curious as to what the Verizon contract says, if you don't mind sharing.

Data Plans and Features: Permitted Uses. You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; (iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications made available by your company); (iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and (v) Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

This is relatively new, btw (~late 2007 ?). They used to ban video, like ATT.

Anyone know if any of the US carriers stream live tv over their data plans?

Most of the USA carriers have MobiTV (http://www.mobitv.com/index2.php) as an option (each carrier brands it differently).

cjmillsnun
Oct 17, 2009, 05:35 PM

Streaming video happens with the YouTube app, however do Verizon allow live TV to be streamed over their network?

It could be a copyright issue.

Aha looked up and saw the answer. Mobi TV probably has the mobile streaming rights so my guess is that a Mobi TV app would be OK.

vvebsta
Oct 17, 2009, 05:36 PM
someone needs to make a countdown app to when AT&T will loose their exclusivity :D it'd be worth it

utazdevl
Oct 17, 2009, 05:42 PM
If it were a copyright issue, then nobody could legally use Slingbox over 3G or WiFi.

Data Plans and Features: Permitted Uses. You can use our Data Plans and Features for accessing the Internet and for such uses as: (i) Internet browsing; (ii) e-mail; (iii) intranet access (including accessing corporate intranets, e-mail and individual productivity applications made available by your company); (iv) uploading, downloading and streaming of audio, video and games; and (v) Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).

This is relatively new, btw (~late 2007). They used to ban video, like ATT.

All the USA carriers have MobiTV (http://www.mobitv.com/index2.php) as an option (each carrier brands it differently).

My understanding is that Slingbox is only over wi-fi (which is personal computer based) not Edge or 3G (which is carrier based). AT&T cannot control what someone does when their phone is on wi-fi (at that point it is not a cellular device, it is like an iPod Touch), but on Edge or 3G, their network/infrastructure is carrying the content.

This doesn't say anything about Live TV product, just that you can use the network to send or receive Audio, Video or games.

I am new to MobiTV, but it appears to provide content that has been authorized for specific streaming to mobile devices. I am talking about clicking a button on your phone at 9:00 on a Thursday night and selecting NBC seeing the same episode of The Office at the same point in it as is playing on your home TV (commercials and all), which is receiving a signal via over the air signal (or cable or satellite feed). Then, at 9:30, you change the channel to CBS and watch the end of CSI, same as you would at home (although, not sure why anyone watches CSI). That is true Live TV. MobiTV seems to just be a delivery method for product that has been paid to be sent out to those who buy in.

Again, not saying I am right about this being a rights thing versus a network thing, but seems possible. My honest guess is that it is a little bit of both. If it weren't for the rights issue, someone would have built a network capable of doing the Live TV thing and then bragged about it big time.

cjmillsnun
Oct 17, 2009, 05:45 PM
someone needs to make a countdown app to when AT&T will loose their exclusivity :D it'd be worth it

AT&T won't lose their exclusivity in the US until there is an alternate GSM 3g or 4g network that works in the same frequency spectrum as AT&T.

Verizon and Sprint are CDMA and incompatible technology. Apple will not produce a phone they cannot sell elsewhere. UTMS/GSM in the frequency spectrums used by AT&T are used by most carriers around the world, and there are probably just as many iPhones sold outside the US as in it.

T mobile's 3g is on a different frequency spectrum even though it uses UTMS technology.

Apple's core product is not mobile phones. Hence they produce 3 different specs.

RIM/Moto/Nokia et al are primarily mobile phone makers and therefore will produce CDMA/GSM phones as it is more to their advantage. By making a product that can only sell in the US, Apple would be losing economies of scale they currently enjoy with their products.

kdarling
Oct 17, 2009, 08:33 PM
Streaming video happens with the YouTube app, however do Verizon allow live TV to be streamed over their network?

Yes, unlike ATT, who specifically says that "redirecting TV" is prohibited, Verizon makes no distinction. They allow any video.

As for Slingbox legality over place-shifting, the issue never got serious (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sling_Media).

My understanding is that Slingbox is only over wi-fi (which is personal computer based) not Edge or 3G (which is carrier based).

That limitation is only on the iPhone.

On any other phone on the entire planet, Slingbox also works over cell networks. Many of us have been using it for years that way.

Again, not saying I am right about this being a rights thing versus a network thing, but seems possible. My honest guess is that it is a little bit of both. If it weren't for the rights issue, someone would have built a network capable of doing the Live TV thing and then bragged about it big time.

Obviously you cannot relay TV streams to other people unless you have permission to do so.

But if you have permission, then yes, there are free live TV feeds all over the Internet. Most, if not all, smartphones have apps for that. One list of iPhone live TV apps (http://mashable.com/2009/08/08/iphone-live-tv/).

twoodcc
Oct 17, 2009, 08:38 PM
well at least they got an update out quick, and hopefully it'll be approved soon

coolbreeze
Oct 17, 2009, 09:19 PM
Reason # 34,353 to jailbreak.

3G unrestrictor FTW.

mgamber
Oct 17, 2009, 09:19 PM
For like the 10,000th time, Orb does live streaming tv over 3G. Any "policy" from Apple and/or AT&T is a load of crap.

coolbreeze
Oct 17, 2009, 09:23 PM
For like the 10,000th time, Orb does live streaming tv over 3G. Any "policy" from Apple and/or AT&T is a load of crap.

Reported to ATT and AAPL, k thx.

:D

mgamber
Oct 17, 2009, 09:31 PM
Reported to ATT and AAPL, k thx.

:D

Damn you're clever. Stay up all night writing that?

coolbreeze
Oct 17, 2009, 09:39 PM
Damn you're clever. Stay up all night writing that?
No...it was a knee-jerk :D post to your post.

Why? :)

translation, it's a joke, man.

Plutonius
Oct 17, 2009, 09:52 PM
I'm happy that they pulled the EyeTv app and I want my money back. EyeTv app was the buggiest worst app I have bought yet and wasn't ready for release.

brewno
Oct 17, 2009, 10:02 PM
What makes me pissed is that they removed it from Canada's store too. What does AT&T has to do with Canada, for ***** sakes?

JoeSmoe23
Oct 18, 2009, 12:09 AM
a little after noon friday and was watching A-Rod's game tying homerun on my 30 min drive home tonight via 3G. Not that I'm a NY fan, but watching Live tv anywhere is awesome. Played perfect video with no glitches except over one hill where the phone briefly hit the Edge Network. To those who say the EyeTV app is no good are nutz, works perfectly for me. I am from this point only going to use the app over wi-fi as to not break any laws.. ;)

GutBomb
Oct 18, 2009, 12:15 AM
a little after noon friday and was watching A-Rod's game tying homerun on my 30 min drive home tonight via 3G. Not that I'm a NY fan, but watching Live tv anywhere is awesome. Played perfect video with no glitches except over one hill where the phone briefly hit the Edge Network. To those who say the EyeTV app is no good are nutz, works perfectly for me. I am from this point only going to use the app over wi-fi as to not break any laws.. ;)

Please don't watch TV while you're driving. I have to drive on the same streets as you.

SimonTheSoundMa
Oct 18, 2009, 04:02 AM
Sky News and TED apps stream video. Their 5-15 minute videos can be between 60 and 150MB each.

Oh, they stream fine over 3G.

Habakuk
Oct 18, 2009, 06:00 AM
EyeTV is back in the App Store again (I can confirm that for Austria and Germany)! According to the description it is version # 1.0.0. People at MacUser.de (http://www.macuser.de/forum/f134/eyetv-app-kommt-476123/index14.html) are telling that they could buy it.

I had it installed before (the version with the Easter Egg). There is no update in iTunes showing up.

thetempest
Oct 18, 2009, 06:13 AM
AT&T won't lose their exclusivity in the US until there is an alternate GSM 3g or 4g network that works in the same frequency spectrum as AT&T.

Verizon and Sprint are CDMA and incompatible technology. Apple will not produce a phone they cannot sell elsewhere. UTMS/GSM in the frequency spectrums used by AT&T are used by most carriers around the world, and there are probably just as many iPhones sold outside the US as in it.

T mobile's 3g is on a different frequency spectrum even though it uses UTMS technology.

Apple's core product is not mobile phones. Hence they produce 3 different specs.

RIM/Moto/Nokia et al are primarily mobile phone makers and therefore will produce CDMA/GSM phones as it is more to their advantage. By making a product that can only sell in the US, Apple would be losing economies of scale they currently enjoy with their products.

So AT&T are the only provider that Apple can supply in the whole of the USA? And people are wondering why AT&T have so much sway in what Apple will allow or not allow? Seems like they have Apple over a barrel.

Dagless
Oct 18, 2009, 06:22 AM
im getting tired of this "unlimited data" plan im paying for and not being able to use it as i see fit

Agreed. They (o2 and AT&T) should really clear up what unlimited means, either make it unlimited or rename it "near unlimited" with crystal clear usage definitions.

Habakuk
Oct 18, 2009, 06:27 AM
Could someone please confirm if EyeTV is available again in Apple iTunes App Store outside Austria and Germany? Here is the App Store link:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=329886711&mt=8

Thanks in advance.

Rodimus Prime
Oct 18, 2009, 07:07 AM

It is because TV demands a lot of bandwith streaming it and iPhone users are already guilty of using 4 times the average amount of data as other smart phone users. The network just can not handle it.

This proves, beyond any reasonable dispute, that AT&T plays a significant role in the app approval process. This is in direct violation of the FCC's vision of net neutrality. I hope the FCC is privy to this latest move.

Please tell me how it violates FCC vision of net neutrality. AT&T is not filtering the data that is going to the phone. Now the contract they have with Apple says no apps may be approved that stream live TV. Since it is blocking just apps from being approved it does not filter the data.

This is just another example of a problem with a single source for all apps. If it could be gotten from other store not a problem.

Habakuk
Oct 18, 2009, 07:14 AM
Re-appeared also in UK app store at midnight (0:00 CEST) according to TotalApps.net:

http://www.totalapps.net/news/eyetv-pulled-apple/ (see second article update there, they confirm that it's 1.0.0)

brkirch
Oct 18, 2009, 09:29 AM
Could someone please confirm if EyeTV is available again in Apple iTunes App Store outside Austria and Germany? Here is the App Store link:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=329886711&mt=8

Thanks in advance.

Yes it is, just bought it from the US store. ;)
(And yes, it is still 1.0.0 and includes the easter egg for streaming video over 3G :D)

digmo
Oct 18, 2009, 09:44 AM
Yes UK contact isn't sure what is happening :

Apple pulled the Elgato EyeTV app from the App Store. Well this morning a www.TotalApps.net (http://www.totalapps.net)got in touch to tell me that the App is back on the UK store. I've checked and it's back on at least the UK, US and German store right now, and probably others.

Very strange for Apple to pull it and reinstate it but I have just bought it at 1.0.0

brkirch
Oct 18, 2009, 09:57 AM
Very strange for Apple to pull it and reinstate it but I have just bought it at 1.0.0
Yes it is strange, but not too surprising; the same thing happened with NetShare (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/01/netshare-tethering-app-reappears-on-app-store/). In this case it makes more sense for them to put it back though, since it will soon be replaced with an update that "fixes" the problem Apple/AT&T has with it.

overanalyzer
Oct 18, 2009, 10:17 AM
They make restrictions, and we fall back.

They get rid of entire apps, and we fall back.

Well not again. The line must be drawn HEAH! This fahhh NO FAHHTHER!

And IIIIIIII will make them PAY for what they've done!!!!

Lol. Great, now I want to watch First Contact for the 100th time. :p

Yvan256
Oct 18, 2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe I don't know enough about the details, but wouldn't it be possible for Apple to keep a detailed list of what's allowed or not on each of the cellphone network in the world, so that developers can enable/disable features based on the cellphone network they're connected to?

But not if the device is currently connected via wi-fi, of course.

phineas
Oct 18, 2009, 10:51 AM
Simple

AT&T's pathetic network cannot handle it, nothing more than that.

AT&T network = poor 3G

slapguts
Oct 18, 2009, 11:52 AM
Strange. It's back on the US app store.

Wonder if that was a mistake. Version number is the same, can anyone confirm the easter egg is still there?

Maybe Apple is giving us one last chance to buy it? They did the same thing with NetShare when it was pulled. In the next day or two, it reappeared for a couple hours, so those paying close attention to it could buy it, before it got pulled again.

digmo
Oct 18, 2009, 12:49 PM

Wonder if that was a mistake. Version number is the same, can anyone confirm the easter egg is still there?

Maybe Apple is giving us one last chance to buy it? They did the same thing with NetShare when it was pulled. In the next day or two, it reappeared for a couple hours, so those paying close attention to it could buy it, before it got pulled again.

Yes identical version in every way to the version before it was pulled. The TotalApps article has a statement from Elgato. I think everyone is baffled.

kdarling
Oct 18, 2009, 02:10 PM
Welcome, Apple, to the world of net neutrality, FCC oversight, intense Congressional interest, and the highly fickle users of the mobile phone world.

I'd hate to be an Apple lawyer these days. Every which way they go is fraught with minefields. Pull this app, don't pull that app, put that one back.

Habakuk
Oct 18, 2009, 04:22 PM
Yes it is, just bought it from the US store. ;)
(And yes, it is still 1.0.0 and includes the easter egg for streaming video over 3G :D)

Yes it is strange, but not too surprising; the same thing happened with NetShare (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/08/01/netshare-tethering-app-reappears-on-app-store/). In this case it makes more sense for them to put it back though, since it will soon be replaced with an update that "fixes" the problem Apple/AT&T has with it.

Yes identical version in every way to the version before it was pulled. The TotalApps article has a statement from Elgato. I think everyone is baffled.

Thanks again for your reports. I've updated my (German-language) blog posting (http://rossau.wordpress.com/2009/10/17/live-fernsehen-mit-iphoneeyetv-uber-das-3g-netz/) (three times on that topic) and quoted some of your statements there—I hope you don't mind.

I'd hate to be an Apple lawyer these days. Every which way they go is fraught with minefields. Pull this app, don't pull that app, put that one back.

Ack.

It's just fine that everyone can use and enjoy now that very fine and full featured Elgato hard- and software with Mac and iPhone (and not only those who were lucky enough to buy by time). Here in Europe it's the first time to be able watching live tv on the iPhone via different WiFis or 3G cellular network. BTW we don't have unlimited data plans—mine is limited to 3 GB per month p. e. (never could use that amount because the network quality seems to be at least as weak as in US/AT&T) and there are upgrades for tethering.

I had the opportunity to test some other digital tv systems (Loewe not bad too, Philips/Thomson) and Elgato/Mac is clearly the top notch combination. Without any doubts. I am considering to buy an iMac just for "always-on broadcasting" (as my private live iPhone/iPod EyeTV server) and handling all the home media.

Free-agent
Oct 18, 2009, 09:03 PM
Just make a copy and keep in a safe place.

hugrupbe
Oct 18, 2009, 09:11 PM
Just make a copy and keep in a safe place.

I am glad to find your site - now I know what a good one looks like.
Very good topic to share with us. Great info.

iphones4evry1
Oct 19, 2009, 02:12 AM
Will it still work over WiFi ? :cool: :apple:

Electrox
Oct 19, 2009, 06:24 AM
Wait! This may be worth a class action lawsuit, against Apple, for selling the App and then deleting it. Any lawyers out there? I'm sure the press would like to know about this!
Didn't Steve Jobs get his start "cracking" AT&T to place calls across the world to call one phone booth near him by using a "cracked" pay phone? So we pay for EYETV, we pay for cable TV, the iPhone, unlimited data, a mac to run all this stuff, and after the fact we can't use our paid technology to do as we want? This EYETV thing was my 2nd favorite app on the phone. Even used more than the phone! This is ridiculous!

Eddyisgreat
Oct 19, 2009, 09:31 AM
Wait! This may be worth a class action lawsuit, against Apple, for selling the App and then deleting it. Any lawyers out there? I'm sure the press would like to know about this!
Didn't Steve Jobs get his start "cracking" AT&T to place calls across the world to call one phone booth near him by using a "cracked" pay phone? So we pay for EYETV, we pay for cable TV, the iPhone, unlimited data, a mac to run all this stuff, and after the fact we can't use our paid technology to do as we want? This EYETV thing was my 2nd favorite app on the phone. Even used more than the phone! This is ridiculous!

Those of us who got in just have to keep the IPA around. Everyone else, no harm no foul.

fpnc
Oct 19, 2009, 03:22 PM
I wonder if Apple's fear of bad publicity is the reason why they've reinstated EyeTV (however, it may be too late). Also, by removing the app they've made everyone aware that the next version will disable this feature so they've made a bad situation (for them) even worse. It would have been far better if Apple had done nothing until the "fixed" v1.0.1 version was available.

Pagemakers
Oct 19, 2009, 04:27 PM
1.01 is out now. Anybody installed it?

Habakuk
Oct 19, 2009, 10:37 PM
1.01 is out now. Anybody installed it?

I will not update to 1.0.1 or any other new version until the fabulous live tv 3G streaming is supported officially. The app is working fine so far.

It's the third app that won't be updated what is a bit circumstantial because I can't use the iTunes option "Load all free updates."

SimonTheSoundMa
Oct 20, 2009, 05:26 AM
1.0.1 is up in the UK. 3G streaming removed. :(

It has had a one star review in the App Store for me. I suggest others do the same.

The rest of the app lacks major features and is cluttered (not reposting most of the comments other have made), so 1 star is fair IMHO.

semlohde
Oct 20, 2009, 07:45 AM
Rights Issues was mentioned and I can't see where it has anything to do with that. Otherwise Slingmedia would be shut down. MANY other phones on ATT CAN Sling and nothing is said at all. Blackbery Bold does a fine job on 3g with Sling and it is directly off my DirectTv connection. My jailbroken iPhone 3g does a fair stuttering job watching DirectTv but is smooth over WiFi. So I can't see it as a Rights retransmission anything. They didn't copy it and show it at a later date.

peter83
Oct 20, 2009, 08:14 AM
Guys I have just bought Easy Trails GPS navigator and it works pretty welll...It's very easy and simply to use...
I am writing this down cause I have been searching for so long a good navigator device and finally this came up in my face...
God exist
:):):)
www.easytrails.com if you want to get more information about this GPS

GNice
Oct 20, 2009, 08:50 AM
I have 1.01 and for a mere $2.99 more I have live streaming over 3G! I have a jailbroken iPhone so I just bought 3G Unrestrictor and Shazaam...EyeTV live streaming over 3G. :D

boston04and07
Oct 22, 2009, 10:01 AM
I have 1.01 and for a mere $2.99 more I have live streaming over 3G! I have a jailbroken iPhone so I just bought 3G Unrestrictor and Shazaam...EyeTV live streaming over 3G. :D

That's what I use too, works great. Good to know that it still works that way.

Stately
Oct 22, 2009, 06:11 PM

Its nonsense and an infringement of rights actually. They did not make the app, the phone or anything but determine what can be used on it. Go figure.

Stately
Oct 22, 2009, 06:16 PM
Maybe I don't know enough about the details, but wouldn't it be possible for Apple to keep a detailed list of what's allowed or not on each of the cellphone network in the world, so that developers can enable/disable features based on the cellphone network they're connected to?

But not if the device is currently connected via wi-fi, of course.

Think about that though. A cell phone provider should just do what it's supposed to do. They shouldn't be able to ban anything that a phone was made to do. Not to mention they charge crazy prices, but for what when everything is banned or controlled? It's ruining the purpose of the phone. Apple needs to leave At&t, not waste time monitoring.

timinbovey
Oct 26, 2009, 04:42 AM
I thought the purpose of the phone was to make phone calls?
The rights issue is FAR more complex than anyone has mentioned here. 34 years working in the broadcast industry has taught me that.
It's ATT's network. They can pretty much offer/not offer whatever they like. The agreement between ATT and Apple is just that, and they must abide by whatever is included in that agreement until it expires.

Further, you CAN watch live TV on ATT phones. We have a Sony Ericsson with a live TV program in it. It works OK, but I saw no need for it and didn't pay the 20 bucks for the program, and I *think* there's an additional $9.99/monthly charge, PLUS of course, you have to have unlimited data or it's pretty much pointless.

I'm more bewildered by the fact that so many are so hooked on TV that not being able to watch it while about town is such a big deal!

Tim in Bovey

Pagemakers
Oct 26, 2009, 05:00 AM

Yea, and Apple need to work on that part because at the moment, certainly in the UK, the phone part is one of the weakest parts of the iPhone!!!

Sorry for going off-topic.

arkitect
Oct 26, 2009, 05:01 AM
Yea, and Apple need to work on that part because at the moment, certainly in the UK, the phone part is one of the weakest parts of the iPhone!!!

Sorry for going off-topic.

Surely that is O2's fault?
Apple is not responsible for the carrier network. Is it?

Pagemakers
Oct 26, 2009, 05:08 AM
OhÖ.Iím absolutely sure it IS o2!! Roll on OrangeÖ.

lllll
Oct 26, 2009, 06:56 PM
This is why Cydia existed. ATT is a bad farmer for Apple. First it was Google Voice, now this. What's next? No flash allowed from Adobe? EyeTV with its orginal feature is on the jailbroken phone and jailbroker are hella happy. This is how ATT rewards its loyal customer. Get rip of useful features.

http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/17/eyetv-iphone-app-pulled-by-apple-revised-version-submitted/)

Yesterday, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/16/eyetv-easter-egg-allows-for-video-streaming-via-3g-networks/) that an easter egg had been discovered in Elgato's EyeTV iPhone application that allowed users to stream live TV to their devices over 3G wireless networks. While the workaround had been present since the application's launch late last month, it hadn't gained significant publicity until yesterday, and Apple quickly moved to pull the application from the App Store due to its agreement with AT&T not to allow television signals to be "redirected" to mobile devices.

According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Elgato has issued a statement (http://blogs.twincities.com/yourtechweblog/2009/10/apple-clamps-down-on-elgato-tv-streaming-iphone-app.html) claiming that the feature was related to test code that the company failed to remove from the application prior to submitting it to Apple and noting that a revised version of the application lacking the functionality has been submitted for App Store review.

Article Link: EyeTV iPhone App Pulled by Apple, Revised Version Submitted (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/10/17/eyetv-iphone-app-pulled-by-apple-revised-version-submitted/)

richied
Nov 8, 2009, 12:51 PM
Not picking on you, but this is the crux of the issue and is evidence of anti trust in and of itself on the part of ATT in addition to violation of net neutrality. They effectively are filtering data ...by 100% from slingboxes. They ban competing applications like slingplayer but allow their own pecuniary interests in this tv service. This is not allowed on the wired phone network..imagine if you could not complete phone calls to businesses not affiliated with ATT....sorry you can only order pizza from ATT pizza shops, for 9.99/mo.
Its the principal of it, they are blocking applications we have paid for, that work on other phones and allow similar competing apps with similar bandwidth requirements. The whole "rights" issue should always lean towards the consumer, these issues have been covered many years ago with fair use.
I am surprised that sling inc hasn't moved forward with a suit. i would jump on a class action against ATT in heartbeat over this...unlimited data my eye!

rich

The rights issue is FAR more complex than anyone has mentioned here. 34 years working in the broadcast industry has taught me that.
It's ATT's network. They can pretty much offer/not offer whatever they like. The agreement between ATT and Apple is just that, and they must abide by whatever is included in that agreement until it expires.

Further, you CAN watch live TV on ATT phones. We have a Sony Ericsson with a live TV program in it. It works OK, but I saw no need for it and didn't pay the 20 bucks for the program, and I *think* there's an additional $9.99/monthly charge, PLUS of course, you have to have unlimited data or it's pretty much pointless.

I'm more bewildered by the fact that so many are so hooked on TV that not being able to watch it while about town is such a big deal!

Tim in Bovey

Kilamite
Nov 8, 2009, 12:57 PM
I accidentally updated and I've lost the feature :(

I was all set to watch the football mid-week while at work and realised I had updated.. was raging!

Pagemakers
Nov 14, 2009, 12:58 PM
The old version will still be in Itunes. You can delete the new one and re-install the old one.

Kilamite
Nov 14, 2009, 04:55 PM
The old version will still be in Itunes. You can delete the new one and re-install the old one.

How..? Thought it got pulled..

Pagemakers
Nov 14, 2009, 05:03 PM
I read a thread somewhere and one of the the itunes folders it stores ALL versions on your apps. I checked at the time and indeed itís true. Then you simply delete the version you want to drop.

Iíll try and find the topic and post it here.