PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive clicking?

AngeredTree
Jul 20, 2004, 03:53 PM
I just got my new PowerBook today with the 80 gig HD upgrade and one of the first things I noticed (Other than the fact that it rocks a little on its feet....i think this is pretty common, whats the fix?) is that there is a really slight clicking sound coming from the hard drive I believe. It only happens once and a while, maybe once every 10 seconds, but not on a regular rhythm. Is this normal? thanks.

Mord
Jul 20, 2004, 04:01 PM
yes that is normal HD's do that.

JzzTrump22
Jul 20, 2004, 04:11 PM
Of course. Don't worry about it. I just got a 15" last month and it clicks once in a while. Usually only when your doing a lot of things at once or downloading files.

mymemory
Jul 20, 2004, 04:14 PM
I have a drive clicking for the last 2 years. A sales guy told me it was about to crack 2 years ago. But is a good time to back up your data any way. The HD of my new 12" never made any sound and is actually no making a single sound any more because is damage some how.

michaelrjohnson
Jul 20, 2004, 04:30 PM
Most likely, it's normal activity. Could you record the sound and post it for us to hear? Perhaps we're not communicating audio very well verbally...

AngeredTree
Jul 20, 2004, 04:49 PM
i'll see if i can get a recording, but I think the fan from my old G3 might be too loud...I guess i would describe it as about as loud as an analog clock ticking if you put your ear up to it....except that it is only once and a while, I think its prolly just normal operation then, its just that I can remember hearing older hard drives make the "clicking" noise all the time, rapidly while accessing information. It's no where near that frequent...