PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded "?" flashing icon

Martika
Jul 20, 2004, 06:02 PM
When I try to start my G4 from a CD, I follow normal procedures. Restart holding down the "C" key. When I do this, I get a flashing "?" and it stays there, won't do anything else.

Can someone help me?

:confused:

SilentPanda
Jul 20, 2004, 06:42 PM
Don't know for sure but figured I'd throw this out...

Is the CD bootable? If not that might be why.

mkaake
Jul 20, 2004, 07:42 PM
maybe try holding down the option key? if memory serves, that allows you to pick from a list of bootable options (various OS installs, and mounted discs).

could be wrong though... that might be an old one. i'll have to give it a shot now...

matt

Martika
Jul 20, 2004, 08:38 PM
Yes, the CD is bootable. I am trying to boot from my Norton Anti Virus CD as instructed, but when I do, as I said I get this flashing folder with the "?" on it.

Thanks for the replies so far, anyone else, feel free to HELP! :(

LeeTom
Jul 20, 2004, 08:41 PM
Yes, the CD is bootable. I am trying to boot from my Norton Anti Virus CD as instructed, but when I do, as I said I get this flashing folder with the "?" on it.

Thanks for the replies so far, anyone else, feel free to HELP! :(

Is it the store-bought original copy of Norton Antivirus, or a burned "back-up" copy?

Also, what OS are you running?

Lee Tom

mkaake
Jul 20, 2004, 09:27 PM
yeah, i checked, and it's deff. hold down the option button to get a list of bootable devices... if the cd isn't coming up, your mac seems to think it's not a great idea to boot from it...

not sure if this still holds true today, but a good pram reset used to take care of issues like that for me on older mac hardware... not sure if it'll help here, but it certainly won't hurt anything. hold down apple option p and r keys on startup, and let it chime... keep holding the buttons down for a total of at least 3 chimes.

then hold down the option key at startup and see if the cd is listed as a bootable device.

good luck!

matt

Coca-Cola
Jul 20, 2004, 09:38 PM
I have seen this before. If you have more than one start up disk, choose the Mac OS X disc when restarting your mac. The computer is confused about which start up disk to use. If you have mac os 9 on your HD it may be trying to use that.

Nermal
Jul 20, 2004, 09:38 PM
How old is your computer, and how old is the copy of Norton? I believe that you need to have a copy of Norton at least as new as your computer (ie. the OS on the CD must be at least the same version that came preinstalled on your system).

Duff-Man
Jul 20, 2004, 09:41 PM
Duff-Man says....(edit - nevermind....nermal just said what I said!).....oh yeah!

7on
Jul 20, 2004, 11:09 PM
Simple that the Norton CD and place it into the wastecan. Problem solved.

sushi
Jul 21, 2004, 01:15 AM
When I try to start my G4 from a CD, I follow normal procedures. Restart holding down the "C" key. When I do this, I get a flashing "?" and it stays there, won't do anything else.

Can someone help me?

:confused:
Others have some great suggestions.

If all else fails, I have done the following which sometimes will work.

Turn off the Mac. Disconnect the power coord. Turn on the power button a couple of times.

Leave off for a couple of hours.

Reconnect power cord and boot.

Again, sometimes this works when all else fails.

Sushi

Horrortaxi
Jul 21, 2004, 03:46 AM
Simple that the Norton CD and place it into the wastecan. Problem solved.
Exactly what I was thinking. It solves this problem, and the numerous others that NAV would have caused if the computer had booted.