PDA

View Full Version : iPod problems

upperblue79
Jul 20, 2004, 10:16 PM
Well, my ipod was plugged in with it's do not disconnect message, but it wasn't showing up on my desktop, so I coudn't unmount it, so I just unplugged it and reset it by holding down menu and play, all was going well, my apple symbol showed up and that's it, nothing more, just the apple symbol, I plugged it back in and nothing but the apple symbol. The symbol will flash every once and awhile. Anyone have any ideas. Just to make sure you know, the computer is not seeing the ipod, so I can't go to disk utility. Thanks for any help.

Duff-Man
Jul 20, 2004, 10:29 PM
Duff-Man says...try resetting the iPod software - Press and hold the Play/Pause and Menu buttons until the Apple/iPod logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.....oh yeah!

upperblue79
Jul 20, 2004, 10:31 PM
ohh, I have done that, I can feel the hard drive move when I reset, so I know it's responding, but like I said nothing past the apple symbol.

upperblue79
Jul 20, 2004, 10:35 PM
A friend just suggested I let the battery run dead then reconnect, any opinions on that? I knew that if I didn't buy apple care something would happen right after my 1 year warrenty expired.

Apmonia
Jul 20, 2004, 10:47 PM
Did you update your iPod? After I did (I have a silver mini), the same thing happened to mine. It won't mount, I can get to the menu screen but there are no songs listed (although when looked up in the about menu, it says there is only 73MB left but 0 songs) and it won't do anything under the Disk Utility. I hope someone can help both of us. I miss my mini.
:(
Apmonia

upperblue79
Jul 20, 2004, 10:51 PM
No, I have not updated since the last update was offered for the 3g a couple months ago.

Duff-Man
Jul 20, 2004, 10:56 PM
Duff-Man says...did you reset a couple times? Sometimes once is not enough. (worked on my original 5GB pod a while back...). Also, did you reset while connected to the computer or while disconnected? as suggested, letting the battery drain sometimes fixes things too....oh yeah!

upperblue79
Jul 20, 2004, 11:01 PM
I have probably reset at least a couple dozen times now, on and off the computer. so, no go on that.

Duff-Man
Jul 20, 2004, 11:24 PM
Duff-Man says...it's getting late here and I am running out of thoughts...hmmm...will something like Mount Me (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15077) get the iPod back on your desktop where you can reset with the iPod util software? ....oh yeah!

upperblue79
Jul 20, 2004, 11:49 PM
no, mount me is a no go.

Mr. G4
Jul 21, 2004, 01:23 AM
Well, my ipod was plugged in with it's do not disconnect message, but it wasn't showing up on my desktop, so I coudn't unmount it, so I just unplugged it and reset it by holding down menu and play, all was going well, my apple symbol showed up and that's it, nothing more, just the apple symbol, I plugged it back in and nothing but the apple symbol. The symbol will flash every once and awhile. Anyone have any ideas. Just to make sure you know, the computer is not seeing the ipod, so I can't go to disk utility. Thanks for any help.

Did you try the iPod Software?
Try to restore instead of update. You will loose all your song and data though.

Miner Willy
Jul 21, 2004, 02:08 AM
It's done it on mine a couple of times, it's might sound daft but it's as if it sticks.. Turn the hold button on and off a couple of times, then with your iPod plugged into the AC adpater try the reset trick a couple of times as suggested. It's sorted mine out before today.

Get well soon

JFreak
Jul 21, 2004, 03:03 AM
so your ipod is ok other than it has no space, and it does mount as it should?

open terminal and go to /Volumes/youripodname directory. you will see everything that is inside your ipod. there should be some kind of "music" directory that is hidden from finder. go there, and under that directory there should be a number of directories that begin with 'F' letter and has a number after it. those are the directories where the music files are stored, so delete them and you should have your hard drive space back.

rm -Rf *

this is the command you're looking for when you destroy those directories. beware though, this will destroy everything that is under your current directory, so be sure you know what you are deleting ;)

upperblue79
Jul 21, 2004, 04:15 AM
Did you try the iPod Software?
Try to restore instead of update. You will loose all your song and data though.

The computer does not see the ipod, it is not booting up, it stalls at the apple symbol.

upperblue79
Jul 21, 2004, 05:02 AM
A friend just suggested I let the battery run dead then reconnect, any opinions on that?

So I ran the battery completly dead to the point it couldn't even show the low battery symbol and connected it to the wall instead of computer and it is still doing the same thing.

upperblue79
Jul 21, 2004, 05:08 AM
Anyone have an idea how much it will cost me to get my ipod repaired by apple, cause that is the only option I think I have now.

upperblue79
Jul 21, 2004, 05:49 AM
Ok everyone, I appreciate the help, please don't hate me, but I finally did what I should have done in the first place and went to apple's support page and look at this. (http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61584) Well, I learned a good leason today and I'm happy to have a working iPod.