Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Sorry if this has been previously posted - I didn't see it when I checked briefly.

AT&T just announced incredibly fast phone access - average download speeds of 220-320 kbps with bursts up to 384 kbps. The phones, such as the Nokia 6651 and Motorola A845 (can't find link), support Bluetooth as well, meaning they could be used as modems.

220-320 kbps access for $25 a month? Not too shabby. Sadly, it's only in very limited areas now - Seattle, San Francisco, Phoenix and Detroit (interesting collection of cities).

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Indeed. And this new service trumps the GPRS/EDGE speeds of the MacOSRumors claim, which I think tops out around 54kbps. It'd be nice to see UMTS in G5 PBs, esp. after UMTS becomes more widespread. I remeber thinking this spring that it was the bee's knees being able to connect via Bluetooth (at a staggering ~20kbps) from out in the middle of nowhere outside of Sedona, AZ. Being able to connect at 300+ kbps would blow me away! Of course, if I were using a PB G5, I'd already be so stunned I'd hardly notice the improved connection speed. ;)

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Trust me Seatle is not that far fetched for a city with this as an option. This city is so wired I can't walk down an urban street and most times residential street without losing a wireless connection. :p

Now they are just insuring it. :cool:

yuc7zhd2

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2003
I think verizon already offers a similar service, but If I recall correctly it costs $100 a month.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
jsw said:
AT&T just announced incredibly fast phone access - average download speeds of 220-320 kbps with bursts up to 384 kbps.

That's great and all, but how about just getting the damn phones to PLACE AND RECEIVE CALLS reliably. Wireless service, in general (especially here in Chicago) is a disaster.

gernb

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2002
no joke...it'd be nice if AT&T would just work on making it possible to actually place and receive calls. How many years into this are we? And yet their service in Detroit is total crap.

More than 75% of my calls are dropped on AT&T's all digital network here. Sadly, I'm not overstating the fact just for effect.

I'd gladly take a cell phone / network that works over this new technology.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
wdlove said:
Actually Verizon is offering it for less.

"Verizon Communications Inc., the biggest US provider of conventional phone service, yesterday launched its first Internet-based phone service that lets people with high-speed connections make unlimited local and long-distance calls for $40 a month."

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2004/07/23/verizon_rolls_out_net_based_phone_service/

This is voice over the internet not for wireless access via a cell phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.