Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Hardmac reports that Apple is preparing to launch an updated version of Aperture, branded as "Aperture X", at some point in the relatively near future. The company is reportedly shooting for a release by the end of November, although it may slip into December.According to our sources, with Aperture X, Apple decided to align its name with Mac OS X, and should release this new evolution of its Pro-oriented photo editing application at the end of November and fore sure before year's end. We did not receive any additional details about this new version, but it seems that it will be able to benefit from Snow Leopard as well as be more multi-core aware.Last week, French site MacGeneration discovered [Google translation] an Amazon book listing (since removed) for an "Aperture X" guide scheduled for release in May 2010. Book listings are notorious, however, for including "placeholder" items for future planned but uncompleted books carrying estimated or guessed release dates, and thus have not been reliable indicators of upcoming product releases.

Aperture's primary competitor in the field of photo management and post-production comes from Adobe, which just last week launched an early beta version of its Photoshop Lightroom 3 software package.

Article Link: 'Aperture X' Scheduled for Launch Before End of Year?

whitingrj

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
I have never had a chance to try out Aperture (well, I just received my Mac only a month ago) so I would love an update.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California
almost the first reply.

anyway, not that I have the money right now to be spending on new stuff but an aperture update would be really nice. My poor little laptop has been hurting recently every time I open aperture. I've added a few thousand new photos, but other than that the only change I've made was snow leopard. if aperture X is as said supposed to be more snow leopard friendly then it might just be on the list of things I have to get.

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008
Do Apple ever release a public beta for this kind of product? I would love to try Aperture having never used it.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Aperture X sounds rather weird and desperate. From everything I’ve read, Light room is winning this war.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I want better library sharing between computers.

It'd be nice to be able to use my laptop in the field and switch back to my imac (which has a much bigger screen) when I get back home.

Maybe use a time capsule / network drive to "sync" to? Or hell use mobileme ....

Ambrose Chapel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Massachusetts
Aperture X sounds rather weird and desperate. From everything I’ve read, Light room is winning this war.

right, there was that adobe blog post that claimed lightroom had 4x as many users as aperture.

i liked aperture the few times i played with it at an apple store, but my then-imac couldn't run it, so i went with lightroom. it's worked very well, though i'd be interested in switching depending on what apple comes up with.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

I use both. Both are great apps. I like Aperture better, just a personal preference. I do look forward to even more speed but since Snow Leopard I must say it is fast on an 8 Core Mac pro.

pdpardue

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2005
Sacramento, California

i think apple dropped the ball on this one, but to be fair light room has the benefit of being on both platforms. Just coming out of college recently and specifically the photography program, most of the students I've seen are running around with windows.

Apple had it right with FCP, but has a long way to go to dominate the market here. they have to compete head to head with adobe (which they didn't really do with premier it was more against avid). here it's head to head and there are a number of things that LR does that aperture doesn't. on a whole though I personally don't like LR's layout and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I would hope to get better processing in aperture, little things that I hate having to send to photoshop because aperture doesn't do them. I'd love to have multi-exposure raw dodging and burning with masks. That'd be killer.

Lotus11ds

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2009
Both are good.

I use Aperture because of the workflow freedom. Lightroom kinda ties you into editing your photos the way Adobe wants you too. It feels a bit more restrictive to me I guess. Plus I think the UI of Lightroom is meh.

But yes, Lightroom is winning the war. Of course it is, there are still A LOT more windows users than mac folk. Adobe caters to windows, no secret.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
All I know is that Apple better not pull the crap they did with the Final Cut and Logic updates which were barely updates at all.

Aperture better move to 64-Bit (which I imagine it will if it is called Aperture X).

epicwelshman

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2006
Nassau, Bahamas
Looks like I'll need a new Mac for Aperture X. Aperture 2 runs on my Gen-A BlackBook, but it's not exceptionally speedy.

That 27" iMac is calling my name...

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Looks like I'll need a new Mac for Aperture X. Aperture 2 runs on my Gen-A BlackBook, but it's not exceptionally speedy.

That 27" iMac is calling my name...

Go for it...you know you want it...especially that Quad-Core chip.;)

ryanvalle

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
I use Aperture because of the workflow freedom. Lightroom kinda ties you into editing your photos the way Adobe wants you too. It feels a bit more restrictive to me I guess. Plus I think the UI of Lightroom is meh.

I just made my switch to Lightroom from Aperture. I enjoy Lightroom's UI, especially when you have thousands of photos to organize. Neither are perfect though.

IF Apple brought the stability of Lightroom to Aperture X, I'd definitely switch back. For now, Aper.2 just lags when its got lots of photos in the library. I also would like to see X get better "web galleries" because personally, I think Lightroom's galleries are much better.

One thing that I think is a no brainer is a faces and places add on to version X since that is something we saw get added to the iPhoto lineup. Also, a video mangement feature would also be nice.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
All I know is that Apple better not pull the crap they did with the Final Cut and Logic updates which were barely updates at all.

Aperture better move to 64-Bit (which I imagine it will if it is called Aperture X).

I concur. Apple really needs to move all of its pro apps to 64-bit & throw in Grand Central / OpenCl for good measure. Just good for competition.

But then again, I'm not a pro anything so I wouldn't use these apps anyways probably.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I have tried Aperture and I also own Capture One and I jumped on the bandwagon with Lightroom 3 BETA. Overall, LR3 is very impressive, due mainly to it’s improved navigation, reduction of layered menus and direct uploading to social websites like’ Flickr with more to come. However, if Aperture X actually does something better with integration with .Me and similar external links, it may very well raise the bar. Thus far, Aperture pails in comparison to Lightroom in terms of features, ease of use and organization. BTW: Capture One has the best hands-down razor sharp imaging, and zoom feature of any other.

More to say... Frankly, I believe Lightroom will end up on top since Apple really isn't poised to keep up with Adobe's more advanced and larger development team. I mean, updates from Apple are far and few in between.
Regards,
Dan

Zach Schible

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Indiana
Well this seems pretty cool. I however have been a pretty dedicated Lightroom user, things seem more intuitive and responsive in LR. However I love the competition, and always like to keep an open mind to things that would help increase my workflow and editing process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.