Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bajinnova

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
Would the 21.5" iMac with ATI discrete graphics (256 MB VRAM) be a reasonable choice for occasional use of Aperture? I'd rather not get a quad-core 27" (both because of cost and size) if I can avoid it.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Would the 21.5" iMac with ATI discrete graphics (256 MB VRAM) be a reasonable choice for occasional use of Aperture? I'd rather not get a quad-core 27" (both because of cost and size) if I can avoid it.

You will be fine with the 21.5", although keep in mind that your pictures will look really amazing on the 27". Also, just because you get the 27" doesn't mean you need to upgrade to the Quad-Core version.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Jeez...I give up on Aperture. I can't start making adjustments without it beachballing on every adjustment for 10 secs., slowing my workflow to a crawl, and that's on my 8GB 3 GHz uMBP. I'm about ready to head back to Lightroom and to call my Aperture tryout a failed experiment.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Jeez...I give up on Aperture. I can't start making adjustments without it beachballing on every adjustment for 10 secs., slowing my workflow to a crawl, and that's on my 8GB 3 GHz uMBP. I'm about ready to head back to Lightroom and to call my Aperture tryout a failed experiment.

LR is far superior. Period.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Yeah, I started culling a series of 3000 race photos this weekend using Lightroom 3 beta, and it went much better. I have an adjustments cheat sheet for Aperture for post-processing race photos. I just have to figure out how it translates to Lightroom. Now I need a SSD drive to reduce the load times for RAW files and previews on my 30" display.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008

The only thing that gets me about LR is the file management and the catalogues. Everyone that tells me about LR tells me that I should have a catalogue for everything for LR to run efficiently. I don't have to do that for aperture.

Have I been told right? What is your opinion on this? This really pains me, nearly every day. Almost to the point where I don't want to push the shutter because I think of file mangagement instead and if it will run efficiently. :eek: Crazy right?

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
The only thing that gets me about LR is the file management and the catalogues. Everyone that tells me about LR tells me that I should have a catalogue for everything for LR to run efficiently. I don't have to do that for aperture.

Have I been told right? What is your opinion on this? This really pains me, nearly every day. Almost to the point where I don't want to push the shutter because I think of file mangagement instead and if it will run efficiently. :eek: Crazy right?
When you import files into a catalog you leave them where they are, or you move them to where you want them, or you can copy them where you want them. It's more like Aperture's referenced files (rather than the managed file approach).

How can you not have a catalog in Aperture? That's the first thing it made me create, and if I move/delete it it prompts for it next time I run. It's the same with Lightroom.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
One other thing. What I like about Lightroom is I can have multiple catalogs to completely segregate things. For example, I keep one catalog for motorsports and another for everything else. I don't see how to do that with Aperture. It has one catalog and all your projects belong to it.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Im not exactly sure what I meant. I know that I have a aperture library but it just seems that everyone is so against putting "all" of ones photos in one catalogue in lightroom. For some reason, I kind of like this approach. I never liked having to quit/close a catalogue and try to remember where a photo was in another catalogue. I guess that was what I was getting at.

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
Im not exactly sure what I meant. I know that I have a aperture library but it just seems that everyone is so against putting "all" of ones photos in one catalogue in lightroom. For some reason, I kind of like this approach. I never liked having to quit/close a catalogue and try to remember where a photo was in another catalogue. I guess that was what I was getting at.
You can have everything in one Lightroom catalog if you want. That's the default way.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Ok, my biggest thing I just remembered about LR was creating folders within folders. One may call them "sub-folders." I may just not know the right way to go about it in LR but that was what bothered me.

For ex. I have a folder labeled family whichs goes further into other folders. It looks like FAMILY-IMMEDIATE-MOM-BIRTHDAY and so on. This helps me stay organized.

How do I do that when importing in LR? If I can maintain this file structure, I believe I will jump ship to LR again. Aperture is giving me the beachball and I am on a 2.4mbp wtih a SSD and 6gigs of ram. It's not like im running photoshop. Heck, I just got through editing images, and I didn't really notice any lag or the fans on CS4.

jontucker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Any more information on this rumour? Do we think it's likely to be release in the next few weeks?

RaceTripper

macrumors 68030
May 29, 2007
For what it's worth Amazon cancelled my Aperture X book order, saying it was a posting mistake on their part.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I wouldn't expect it until 1st quarter of 2010. Can't wait for it though. Amazing that the Pro Apps took so long to go 64 bit.

jemo07

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain
Any further news on this?

-i know everyone is exited about the iSlate or what ever Steve calls it, but do we have any news on the Aperture X.X?

Thanks,

Jose

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I recently bought a new Mac Mini and for various reasons decided to go ahead and buy the full Aperture 2.0 rather than have to fiddle with installing the earlier version and upgrades and so on...... As I was driving home from the Apple Store, I thought, "oh, geeze, with my luck Apple will announce Aperture 3.0 this week!"

Aside from that, I really am looking forward to an updated Aperture, as it has been quite a while now. I've been using Aperture since it was first debuted and I love it. I tinkered with a couple of the early beta versions of Lightroom but it is Aperture which has won my heart.

bertman

macrumors member
May 28, 2008
Laurel, Maryland
...go ahead and buy the full Aperture 2.0 rather than have to fiddle with installing the earlier version and upgrades and so on...

Actually you can install the 30 day trial and simply enter teh serial number when you purchase a copy - no re-installation required.

Still not holding my breath for APX - but if it doesn't come soon, and/or doesn't have a much improved dB, I'll be switching over to LR.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.