Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Gizmodo reports that it in its media briefing prior to last week's introduction of new hardware, Apple senior vice president Phil Schiller noted that the company has completed its holiday hardware lineup and will not be introducing any more new products before then.This time we got official word in the last one-on-one media briefing from Apple, in which they told Brian about the new iMac 27, the new Unibody MacBook, and new Magic Mouse. We were talking casually about about it, and he mentioned something that Phil Schiller told him: There are not going to be any new Apple products this year. Yes, that's what my favorite Apple VP said.After the initial report, Apple contacted Gizmodo to clarify that Schiller's exact comment was "The holiday lineup is set."

Apple made a similar comment in early November last year, squashing rumors of hardware revisions circulating at that time.

No specific near-frame hardware rumors have been circulating at this time, although the recent discovery of unreleased MacBook Pro models listed in a configuration file in the latest Mac OS X 10.6.2 build has sparked some minor speculation of a possible refresh. Mysterious comments from Apple executives at the company's earnings conference call last week regarding unusual air freight costs in the current quarter had also generated some discussion about possible major product introductions beyond the revised iMac, MacBook, and Mac mini models released the following day.

Article Link: Phil Schiller Claims No More New Apple Products This Year

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston
Would quiet updates to things like hard drive sizes be considered new products though? I can't believe Apple is going to leave the 13 inch Macbook Pro with a smaller hard drive than the cheaper Macbook.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Shouldn't surprise anyone. As history has told us: MacBook Pros will be updated Jan/Feb of 2010. Mac Pro will be updated around then as well, maybe March.

ryanvalle

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2009
Does this really squash rumors? I think the idea that they called back saying that Phil meant to say "The holiday lineup is set" kind of brings some speculation. What exactly does that mean? Could their holiday line be "consumer" models such as the iMac, Macbook, iPod/iPhone line?

With the recent rumor of Aperture X out before the end of the year, would pro-level products not be part of a holiday line? If so, would that not rule out the possibility of Macbook Pro revisions as starting to be rumored a few days ago?

I personally think so and just view this statement to bring comfort to customers who are worried of buying an obsolete product.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Yeah, kind of late in the year for new stuff that would ship in time for the holidays. Hopefully first quarter '10 will have lots of new hardware, especially Mac Pros, ACDs and MPBs.

Zach Schible

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2009
Indiana
This doesn't seem like good news. I mean as it is now the MacBook Pro line is already a little bit behind in the processors. At least for computers that have the "Pro" monicker in them.

But obviously this doesn't seem to have effected Apples sales numbers.

Magnum318

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
There be some software updates...

the smart thing to do would be to turn all that talent into OSX, IPhone Updates..ect

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Shouldn't surprise anyone. As history has told us: MacBook Pros will be updated Jan/Feb of 2010. Mac Pro will be updated around then as well, maybe March.

didn't the unibody ones come out Nov or Dec of last year?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
I can't believe Apple is going to leave the 13 inch Macbook Pro with a smaller hard drive than the cheaper Macbook.

Poor little MacBook Pro, left out in the cold because of 90GB... oh wait, hang on, so what? That's ONE thing the basic config MacBook has over MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro's still got SD card, fw800, illuminated keyboard and a slimmer, lighter design. Plus better processor and RAM options.

Plus (at least in the EU's case) the MacBook's price went up, making the price between the two pretty marginal. I know which one I'd go for.

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
This just means that the 10" iSlate is actually going to be a radical software update to the iPhone!

That's how their going to keep people from jailbreaking, it won't work on jailbroke phones :)

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
didn't the unibody ones come out Nov or Dec of last year?

Yes (October), but they were updated at WWDC June 2009. Same thing happened in June of 2007 of the MacBook Pros; they were updated February of the following year. Typically, all MacBook Pros are updated every 7-9 Months.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
educated guess here but I'll bet there will be updates next month (November), the macbook was updated after only 5 months so its possible for the macbook pro too. Apple can't afford to have no i7 mobile laptops for too long when just about every windows manufacturer is advertising mobile i7 quad core laptops etc especially with the good reception of windows 7.

Plus Apple denied there was a new announcement up until the very same day with the macbook and imac, it's apples marketing process as they know blogs/papers etc will talk about the 'no more updates this year etc'

I was one day out with my estimate for the imac/macbook too, I was saying the 22nd, the same day as windows 7 but it came a day earlier

bmoorhouse

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
Houston

Since 2002, Apple has released new Macbook Pros five times during the September to November period. On the other hand, they have only released 4 new versions during the January-February period. Where is the history lesson?

ammusk

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2009
Marketing ploy?

Surely they can't keep the uMBP 13" as is for the holidays because of the updated Macbook.

iMacmatician

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2008
So what? That's ONE thing the basic config MacBook has over MacBook Pro. The MacBook Pro's still got SD card, fw800, illuminated keyboard and a slimmer, lighter design. Plus better processor and RAM options.
I think for some time the BlackBook had a bigger hard drive than the 15" MBP back when it was around.

darthraige

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2007
Coruscant, but Boston will do.
I can see 10.6.2 coming out in November. MacBook Pros coming out in January which will have the 10.6.2 software on them and 10.6.3 coming out in February or March.

That sounds like a reasonable time table in my book.

jb1280

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2009
Marketing ploy?

Surely they can't keep the uMBP 13" as is for the holidays because of the updated Macbook.

Surely they can. I had to stop by my local reseller for an adaptor and saw the new macbook next to the 13" macbook pro - unless you really like white polycarbonate or are really price sensitive, I imagine most will pick the pro.

Classic Apple - get you in the door at $999 and have you leaving at $1199.

The new macbook is nice, but looks less "finished" compared to the pro.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
Worst of all - the MBA looks more and ore like a dinosaur and I am starting to believe that that will be its fate. It will end in MOMA... Sad:(
When is the Apple show in January? Willing to wait until than. Just got a new MacPro, which will be of course outdated in a few months...:(

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I can see 10.6.2 coming out in November. MacBook Pros coming out in January which will have the 10.6.2 software on them and 10.6.3 coming out in February or March.

That sounds like a reasonable time table in my book.

i hope your right, i can't wait much longer for a new lappy :/

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
Way to put a damper on the stock Phil! :eek:

You could of left with a teasing remark about more great products to follow and just not give a date of release... :rolleyes:

Deppe

macrumors member
May 20, 2009
Plus Apple denied there was a new announcement up until the very same day with the macbook and imac, it's apples marketing process as they know blogs/papers etc will talk about the 'no more updates this year etc'

I have not heard Apple was denying anything, they just did'nt talk about it.
It is Apples marketing process to be mysterious, not to go out and say "there won't come any more updates this year" if its a lie! Also, imagine how upset many people, who buys a Mac now because Apple has said that there line up is set, would be.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.