Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

panpangege

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
I know nothing about Technology. But if you can buy movies off the internet and put them in your ipod, and you can put CD's in your computer to put it into you ipod than cant you do the same thing with movies? it makes sense, but idk. a lil help?

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
You need an application such as toast to burn the dvd on to your hard drive and then need an application such as isquint to convert it to an ipod format!

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Toast doesn't decrypt commercial DVDs, and iSquint was EOLed quite a while back.

Handbrake is the best all-in-one solution for ripping DVD movies to iPod-compatible format. It's pretty n00b-proof.

If you need a dedicated DVD "ripper" (decrypter) I recommend RipIt. The files it produces from your DVDs can be fed right into Handbrake. RipIt's not free but I've lost all faith in MacTheRipper.

All of this info is available from a thousand other posts here BTW. Google is your friend.

macsarethebest

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2009
I do this alll the time, and here is the best way. Download HandBrake and VLC, and make sure vlc is in your application folder. Insert ANY dvd and open handbrake. A choose source menu will pop up, and select the dvd (not the folders inside it). On the right choose your format, I use universal, or iPod will make a smaller video. Click start, and sit back and wait. ;)

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
I've been using Handbrake for this. Usually works great with no problems. Takes a long time on my iMac though (avg 3 hours per 1.5 hour movie).

Aidan37

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2009
Handbrake is pretty good, and free. But I checked out Handbrake site and from the screenshots it looks like you can only upload one file at a time which is what I do not want and I don't see a "merge" button and it isn't working on my macbook pro, Now I use a third party program called iSkysoft DVD Ripper for Mac. it works pretty well. If you are interested in it, You can download a free Demo version at http://digg.com/apple/How_to_rip_DVD_to_iPod_Touch_on_Mac_OS_X_10_6_Snow_Leopard

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
To the OP:

It's not simple as it should be and it's squarely the fault of "Hollywood" and it's overwhelming fear of pirating.

You should certainly be able to rip a DVD as easily as you can a CD, but that functionality is banned in the usual Apple software offerings. It's so bad that it affects ripping DVDs that you have burned yourself with iDVD!

It is stupid and hopefully, the 'establishment' will come around and make it easier in the future to do this. The interim solution has been to include a digital version with each DVD/BluRay purchase recently.

DRM has died on the music side...one can hope the movie side of the equation will eventually be freed of this annoyance. :mad:

CubusX

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2009
Here you go

You need an application such as toast to burn the dvd on to your hard drive and then need an application such as isquint to convert it to an ipod format!

http://www.slysoft.com

Buy AnyDVD - Which unlocks the DVD
Buy CloneDVD mobile - Which has an option to output to an iPod/iPhone file

Add it to your iTunes library and sync it to your device.

The purchase comes with free upgrands for life.

Antares

macrumors 68000
They both cost actual money? Shareware programs are available

Shareware is not free. You are thinking of freeware. Any program that is good enough for you to use frequently enough should be something you are willing to pay for...or at least make a "donation" to the developer.

I use Handbrake and MacTheRipper. Though, it's an older version of MacTheRipper. I was not aware that there have been problems recently. Handbrake is great, though.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Handbrake if you want to rip from one dvd at time without coping it via another program to the hard drive.

There are plenty of work flows that have been suggested in numerous threads on this forum let alone the net.

They are a couple of programs one can use to rip dvd's. You just need to try them out and figure which one(s) work best for you.

atamer

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2009
I've tried Handbrake. It seems to work fine, even pretends to add chapter markers. Except iTunes refuses to sync the resulting mv4 file to iPod "because it can't be played." After feeding the file through iTunes' conversion for iPod mechanism again (another few hours later) I ended up with a file that can actually play on iPod but the chapters are gone - just one long file.

Handbrake users: Any idea how to streamline the process and possibly even keep the promised chapter markers? Am I doing something wrong in Handbrake's settings so the file is not immediately readable?

Thanks,
Anke

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I've tried Handbrake. It seems to work fine, even pretends to add chapter markers. Except iTunes refuses to sync the resulting mv4 file to iPod "because it can't be played." After feeding the file through iTunes' conversion for iPod mechanism again (another few hours later) I ended up with a file that can actually play on iPod but the chapters are gone - just one long file.

Handbrake users: Any idea how to streamline the process and possibly even keep the promised chapter markers? Am I doing something wrong in Handbrake's settings so the file is not immediately readable?

Thanks,
Anke
Which iPod are you using? It might not support the specific chapter features? Also, what encoding are you using in Hanbrake?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.