PDA

View Full Version : technical question about an iMac G5

secretsquirrel1
Oct 30, 2009, 01:52 AM
i want to move every thing over to an empty tower case. So i have a question but before i go into asking the question let me explain the situation. i just replaced my hard drive myself about two months ago. my computer was a paper weight. so i spent 50 bucks and got a new one. figured 50 bucks and what's the worst that could happen. i wasted 50 bucks right? it worked. yay my computer turned right back on!!! replaced it no manual at all, no directions either. now my computer runs hot. which got me thinking about a coolant system.that got me thinking about the fact that a coolant system will not work in an imac body. so i thought a tower.

now my question:

what brand tower case?
does anyone know of any that are mac compatible, logic board wise?
or
what type of compatibly am i looking for?

any body know?:confused:

rtrt
Oct 30, 2009, 03:15 PM
i want to move every thing over to an empty tower case. So i have a question but before i go into asking the question let me explain the situation. i just replaced my hard drive myself about two months ago. my computer was a paper weight. so i spent 50 bucks and got a new one. figured 50 bucks and what's the worst that could happen. i wasted 50 bucks right? it worked. yay my computer turned right back on!!! replaced it no manual at all, no directions either. now my computer runs hot. which got me thinking about a coolant system.that got me thinking about the fact that a coolant system will not work in an imac body. so i thought a tower.

now my question:

what brand tower case?
or

That sounds interesting - not seen anyone do it myself.

How will you deal with the fact that the imac system includes the screen - if you manage to move all of the parts to a tower case you'd need to extend the screen power and 'data' cables.

If you decide to go for it i think it'll be an interesting project - pls post pics :cool:

As an alternate have a look at this thread where you might be able to get the same cooling effect without going to an external case

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=8722590

California
Oct 30, 2009, 03:25 PM
Make sure your internal fans are not gunked up with dust and max out your ram with two 1 gig matching sticks -- if the isight model -- max out with 2 gig stick of ram. This will take stress off CPU and new hard drive, thus less heat.

MTI
Oct 30, 2009, 03:44 PM
Move a G5 iMac logic board to a tower case.

Hmm, there are some hurdles. First, the different sized iMacs do have different sized logic boards, so the 17" would be the smallest.

You will have to craft extension cables for the optical drive and HD, since they are fairly specific to the iMac case. Likewise, the power supply cable is also fairly short.

Since the primary video device is the LCD screen, you'll need to extend the data cable and inverter cable for the LCD.

Frankly, you're actually better off just building a better ventilated box with plexi than trying to move the iMac innards to a PC tower case.

DoFoT9
Oct 30, 2009, 07:28 PM
how hot is hot exactly?

300D
Oct 30, 2009, 09:11 PM
Good luck getting a display to work. There is no normal VGA or DVI.

MTI
Oct 30, 2009, 10:06 PM
Good luck getting a display to work. There is no normal VGA or DVI.

Correct, it's like a laptop and I think the last models use LVDS, or that may have been the intial Intel iMacs.

However, the mini VGA out port will work, providing that the computer was pre-set via the main LCD, to boot in "Mirror" mode.

Mugwumper
Oct 30, 2009, 11:44 PM

now my question:

what brand tower case?
or

I'm still not sure why you want to do this - is it because it runs hot?

I had this model (2GHZ, 20", 2GB RAM) for about 4 years. Yes, the fans
came on a lot, but only when there was something graphically intensive
(like using my EyeTV stick) going on, or when there was a lot of disk
activity. Even using multiple apps simultaneously (Word, Firefox, Mail,
iTunes) with Spaces didn't make the fans go, unless I did a lot of back and
forth switching.

I tend to agree with "California" about cleaning the air inlet screen at the
bottom of the enclosure, and also blowing/sucking (carefully!) any other
dust inside the system - logic board and fans are the biggest collectors.

And get the system up to 2GB RAM . . .

Also, I would not recommend running anything greater than 10.4 (Tiger). I
ran Leopard, but there was a world of difference in fan use and noise after
the upgrade.

Hope this helps . . .