Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
i haven´t been able to figure this one out. apple care search on the forums hasn´t answered the question either; the question being, once i buy apple care, will i need to register in the store or online, or is the warranty good to go for my purchased items?

as stated in a previous thread that would be a 12" pb + 20" cinema display. both will be covered, and since i´ll be buying them in an apple store, i won´t need to do anything further except buy apple care as well right?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
When I bought my Macs, I bought AppleCare with them at the Apple Store, and there was no separate registration. They simply associate it with your items, for which they already know the serial numbers.

So, I guess, there is a registration process, but it's taken care of for you.

At least, that's the way it has worked for me. My last purchase was last year.

This assumes you buy AppleCare at the same time.If you get it later, you'll need to go through some sort of registration process to let them know the items you're associating it with.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I bought AppleCare just 6 days before my 12 month warranty was due to expire, so I did it differently and had to call them.

I called the number that is supplied in the AppleCare box, you are then required to give the AppleCare number, and then the product serial number for your Mac, I think there's a couple of other details as well, but it takes like 5 minutes to register.

Only buy AppleCare if you're sure you're going to be keeping your Mac for more than a year, otherwise it is a waste of money. It'll improve your resale value, but you'll be buying it basically to GIVE to someone else.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
just so long as the powerbook and display are on the same receipt then you should be all set.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
iGAV said:
Only buy AppleCare if you're sure you're going to be keeping your Mac for more than a year, otherwise it is a waste of money. It'll improve your resale value, but you'll be buying it basically to GIVE to someone else.

I'm pretty sure that the only way to get AppleCare on a monitor is to get it at time of purchase with a CPU. In that case, it definitely makes sense, as you get the monitor warranty effectively for free, whereas you can't get it at all otherwise.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
thanks a lot everyone. the path is clear before my eyes, i must merely walk it... :D

if you could get counterstrike to work for mac as well, i´d have nary a wish. ;)

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
jsw said:
I'm pretty sure that the only way to get AppleCare on a monitor is to get it at time of purchase with a CPU. In that case, it definitely makes sense, as you get the monitor warranty effectively for free, whereas you can't get it at all otherwise.

All displays come with the standard 1 year warranty, to extend it to 3 years with AppleCare the display has to be on the same receipt as the computer. You don't need to buy all 3 at the same time, you can buy AppleCare at any point in the 1st year.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If you are purchasing at the Apple Store already. It just makes the whole process much easier to purchase AppleCare at the same time. Then the staff person can get you all registered during the check out process.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
m.r.m. said:
yeah i think so too, but will apple care then be valid for 3 years or just 2?
AppleCare is a separate 2 year EXTENSION warranty, starting from day 366 of owning your mac. Your computer is always covered for the first year.

If you buy AppleCare at the outset, your computer is protected for 3 years. If you wait til day 361 to purchase AppleCare - you are still covered for 3 years, you just put off the $$$ for Applecare for a little less than a year.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
carletonmusic said:
AppleCare is a separate 2 year EXTENSION warranty, starting from day 366 of owning your mac. Your computer is always covered for the first year.

If you buy AppleCare at the outset, your computer is protected for 3 years. If you wait til day 361 to purchase AppleCare - you are still covered for 3 years, you just put off the $$$ for Applecare for a little less than a year.

The Apple warranty is in two parts. A 1 year parts and labor, and 90 days support. AppleCare extends the 1 year parts and labor to a total of three. On support it also extends to three, but if you don't have AppleCare on day 92 lets say - then you pay for the support. Untill of course you buy AppleCare.

With a resource like Mac Rumors, many support issues seem to be handled well by the members here.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
Chip NoVaMac said:
The Apple warranty is in two parts. A 1 year parts and labor, and 90 days support. AppleCare extends the 1 year parts and labor to a total of three. On support it also extends to three, but if you don't have AppleCare on day 92 lets say - then you pay for the support. Untill of course you buy AppleCare.

With a resource like Mac Rumors, many support issues seem to be handled well by the members here.

Just to clarify - if you haven't purchased Applecare and you need PHONE support - you have to pay for it. You still get full parts and labor in the first year. The only down side to not buying AppleCare at purchase time is that you lose out on phone support after 90 days. You can post problems here; if we can't help - call Apple and buy the AppleCare extension - then you can get phone help too, and you've lost nothing except a day's time.
proplan_coverage063006.gif

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
carletonmusic said:
Just to clarify - if you haven't purchased Applecare and you need PHONE support - you have to pay for it. You still get full parts and labor in the first year. The only down side to not buying AppleCare at purchase time is that you lose out on phone support after 90 days. You can post problems here; if we can't help - call Apple and buy the AppleCare extension - then you can get phone help too, and you've lost nothing except a day's time.
proplan_coverage063006.gif

Thanks, a bit fuzzy today.

m.r.m.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2003
Germany
thanks for all the info, guys. you all are way cooler than apple service anyway! :D

i'll go get apple care from the start and just not worry about anything. i intend to keep my mac until the end of college, so cheers to everyone and drinks are on me! :)

debo

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2004
Why do you have to purchase the monitor and the computer at the same time for the care to cover the monitor? If you purchase the apple care later and just call in and enter you serial numbers, how will they know when you bought the computer and monitor?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
debo said:
Why do you have to purchase the monitor and the computer at the same time for the care to cover the monitor? If you purchase the apple care later and just call in and enter you serial numbers, how will they know when you bought the computer and monitor?

They will still be able to track the serial numbers to the date of purchase. At the point of waiting to purchase the AppleCare then you are still at the discretion of Apple.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
debo said:
Yep, Apple makes a big deal about these being purchased at the same time - on the same order/receipt. AppleCare will NOT be honored if you purchase the monitor 1 minute before, or a minute after. It makes sense for both parties; Apple gets you to buy more at once, and the customer gets 3 years coverage on a monitor for the same price as covering the computer.

hob

macrumors 68010
Oct 4, 2003
London, UK
I've been really stupid. I only noticed my warranty on my powerbook expires tomorrow... yesterday. I ordered the applecare from the store yesterday. But if it arrives and I want to register it AFTER my warranty expires - am I screwed?

Hob

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
hob said:
I've been really stupid. I only noticed my warranty on my powerbook expires tomorrow... yesterday. I ordered the applecare from the store yesterday. But if it arrives and I want to register it AFTER my warranty expires - am I screwed?

Hob

Call Applecare directly ASAP. They are very accommodating, and the intent you had can most likely be worked around by them.

MadMacs44

macrumors member
Dec 8, 2004
Western Massachusetts
True- If your DOP is before the Origional Warranty is expired, then the AppleCare team will be able to enroll your unit for you.

Another note- Why buy the AC Agreement from Apple when most independant Resellors and Service Providers who sell it will give you a better deal...for instance, Apple Sells for an iMac between $150 and $169. I can sell it for less:) Just a thought.

And no I cannot tell you what that price is, I would be in breach of contract with Apple..I guess:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.