Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chickenlegs

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
I apologise at the start if this sounds a really daft question.
I am about to install XP Home under Boot Camp and have just read through the Apple Boot Camp installation guide and noticed at the start, that it states that "you must use" Windows XP Home with SP2 or above. I have a very old version of XP Home and wondered how I can tell if it already has SP2 on it? The original Windows XP box has "version 2002" on it but no other indication that it has been service packed. I don't want to try it, just in case it causes installation problems.
Thanks
Chris

Eric S.

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Santa Cruz Mountains, California
My guess is that if it included SP2, it would say so. When I bought XP (Pro) the box said in big letters "Includes Service Pack 2". Anyway SP2 was released in August 2004, so if yours is earlier than that it couldn't include SP2.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
If you're going to have to slipstream it, go ahead and slipstream SP3 instead. Save yourself some time later, and Boot Camp won't care, as long as its at least SP2 (and 3 > 2 :)).

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
I thought there were issues with SP3 and Boot Camp though?

Hmmm... I haven't had ANY issues on four different Macs in my family (my iMac, my wife's white Macbook, my sister's unibody Macbook, and my brother-in-law's iMac). BUT... all of those were installed with SP2 and upgraded to SP3. Maybe that's it... I have since slipstreamed an install CD, but haven't needed to use if on any of the Macs yet...

chickenlegs

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
Service Packs

Many thanks for all your excellent replies. I can now confirm that the original Windows XP Home disc that I have is an SP1 version. I had a look at the price of a new XP disc yesterday and it seems really expensive to me at around £60 so as, I have a Windows PC, I will use it to splipstream SP2 - how exciting! It's pouring with rain today so that gives me a good excuse to have a go.
I have many reservations about putting Windows on the Macbook, but I have a few programmes that will only work with Windows, so it's becoming a bit of a necessity. Thanks again.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Good thing you didn't try it with an cd containing XP SP0 (for lack of a better term) or with a cd containing XP SP1. I tried that once, and I fried my Mac. Well, not literally, but the earlier versions of XP don't read the partition table right, so they won't recognize the partition you created for Boot Camp. Back then, XP was installed over my Mac OS X installation. Everything was gone, everything. Luckily, I made a full clone of my hard drive before trying to install XP, so nothing was lost. But trust me, you don't want to try it without a recent backup.

chickenlegs

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2007
Bristol, UK
Xp

I discovered a few copes for sale on EBay which were reported to be in their original condition and OEM versions.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Even if you don't have access to a dedeicated Windows PC you can load your pre SP2 XP into a virtual machine with VirtualBox or a free trial of Parallels or VMWare. Then you can create the slipstreamed ISO in the VM and install from that in Boot Camp. There really is no need for a new disc.

B

CTeditor

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2009
I thought there were issues with SP3 and Boot Camp though?

I had an issue when I did an update from SP2 to SP3, everytime I tried to play a game it would just restart. I just assumed you couldn't update and reverted back to SP2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.