Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobgil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Hi everyone,

I just recently updated to Snow Leopard from 10.5.8 and with it decided to give boot camp 3.0 a try with a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 disk I had from a while ago. I partitioned my drive with boot camp assistant, and followed all the prompts correctly to finally installing the Mac drivers as per the instructions from the boot camp assistant.

Now, when I went to restart the computer so those updates would take effect, during the start up process, all I continually see is the Windows XP scrolling status bar, I shrugged figuring it had a bit to do and left it to its own devices, and a half hour later returned to see the same scrolling progress screen. (before choosing which account to log into for windows).

Now I figured this was enough time and restarted the computer, tried booting it normally, ie not in safe mode like I had the option to, and the same thing happened as before, would not progress past the scrolling status screen.

So I restarted again and this time went in in Safe Mode, and it worked, so currently I am able to run windows in safe mode, but not in any other way. Is there anyone here that has encountered this problem before and knows of a way to fix it?

I'd appreciate any help on the matter,

tobgil

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
There is a bug in one of the drivers. Bootcamp 3.0 is not compatible with the SP3 installation. Apple have issued a note about it. They advise to disable the file Windows/system32/drivers/AppleMNT.sys for the installation of SP3 by renaming it temporarily. After the installation of SP3 it is supposed to be named back to it's original name again.

tobgil

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2009
Thank you for the reply, sorry I'm not particularly well versed in that sort of area, how would I go about correcting the issue from where I am currently?

Thanks, and your help is much appreciated,

tobgil

EDIT: I'd assume I'd have to remove the windows installation and start again, how do I go about renaming that file during the installation etc.?

Sorry for the second edit, but I've done a bit more looking ,and I'm trying to install XP from the SP3 CD that came with my old PC, so its not an update, its the only copy I have, is it still possible to load XP onto my computer with this condition?

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Thank you for the reply, sorry I'm not particularly well versed in that sort of area, how would I go about correcting the issue from where I am currently?

Thanks, and your help is much appreciated,

tobgil

EDIT: I'd assume I'd have to remove the windows installation and start again, how do I go about renaming that file during the installation etc.?

Sorry for the second edit, but I've done a bit more looking ,and I'm trying to XP from the SP3 CD that came with my old PC, so its not an update, its the only copy I have, is it still possible to load XP onto my computer with this condition?

I have not done it that way. Apple do advise against using XP SP3 and so I allways used SP2 and updated.

Apple have some advise that relates to pre Bootcamp 3.0 status.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1565

Edit: also here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950716/EN-US/

It may be worth it to read that.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Actually on checking this I see that they have changed the information.

They used to have a procedure for changing the registry. I will try to translate it for you.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Old Microsoft KB 950716 :

1. In CMD mode call the program regedit
2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
3. edit a new string
4. name it BootDir and press the return key
5. right klick BootDir and klick to change
6. Insert the name of the system drive. if the system drive is C, use the C:\
Go to start and Command and insert %systemdrive% . Then klick ok to display the system drive.
7. finish regedit

Unfortunately I only found an old German version and tried to re translate it back to English. It may give you an idea how to mod the registry.

Edit: I googeld an English versiion which may be better to understand:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

To avoid this, manually create a necessary registry key as follows:

To create the registry key

Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

On the Edit menu, point to New, and click String Value.

In the text box under the Name column, type BootDir and press ENTER.

Right-click the name BootDir, and then click Modify.

In the Edit String Value dialog box, type the drive letter for your system drive, and then click OK. For example, if your system drive is C:, type C:\.

Close Registry Editor.

After you have created this registry key (or if you created this key when you installed a previous version of this Service Pack), you can proceed with the installation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.