PDA

View Full Version : My Powerbook kills my wireless network when it sleeps

KevRC4130
Jul 24, 2004, 07:01 PM
Hey guys,
I have a problem with my wireless network. The main unit is a Linksys, and my Powerbook has a built in Airtport card. The Linksys router is connected to a PC desktop. The Internet works great. However, when I close my Powerbook, or it goes to Sleep, the internet dies, on both the PC and the Mac. Once I reopen the lid of the Mac, it still doesn't work on either computer. I then need to unplug the Linksys and the modem by disconnecting the AC Adapter, and reset it. After this, both computers work again. Does anybody know why my Powerbook kills the network, and how I can get it to stop doing this?

Thanks

DickArmAndHarT
Jul 25, 2004, 02:10 AM
Ive been having a similar problem with a linksys router also hooked up to a pc and i found an article in a recent mac addict that had the solution. When i did this on my it stopped crashing but it still errors hope this isnt the case with you.

Solution from mac addict-"Go to system preferences >network>airport>tcp/ip, and click the configure Ipv6 button. In the pane that appears, turn it off by selection off in the Configure IPv6 drop down menu and enjoy crash-free router bliss"

Hope this helps

KevRC4130
Jul 25, 2004, 11:52 AM
Ive been having a similar problem with a linksys router also hooked up to a pc and i found an article in a recent mac addict that had the solution. When i did this on my it stopped crashing but it still errors hope this isnt the case with you.

Solution from mac addict-"Go to system preferences >network>airport>tcp/ip, and click the configure Ipv6 button. In the pane that appears, turn it off by selection off in the Configure IPv6 drop down menu and enjoy crash-free router bliss"

Hope this helps

Thanks, that halfway helped. Now once I close and then open the lid of the Powerbook, the PC stays online, but the Powerbook disconnects. Since it disconnects, I have to do the same router reset by unplugging it. So now the PC problem is fixed, but the Powerbook still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks!

LeeTom
Jul 25, 2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks, that halfway helped. Now once I close and then open the lid of the Powerbook, the PC stays online, but the Powerbook disconnects. Since it disconnects, I have to do the same router reset by unplugging it. So now the PC problem is fixed, but the Powerbook still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Once your powerbook is awake, have you tried just turning airport off and on again? or going up to the apple -> locations -> and choosing the already checked location?

that may work.

also, are you all up-to-date on your airport drivers?

Lee Tom

TreeHugger
Jul 25, 2004, 12:51 PM
You might also want to try updating the routers firmware to the newest one on the linksys site.

KevRC4130
Jul 28, 2004, 03:42 PM
Once your powerbook is awake, have you tried just turning airport off and on again? or going up to the apple -> locations -> and choosing the already checked location?

that may work.

also, are you all up-to-date on your airport drivers?

Lee Tom

Turning it on and off or selecting the checked location does not help. :(