PDA

View Full Version : G5 (2006 isight) iMac and "high speed" internet issues

Hurd111
Nov 1, 2009, 11:13 PM
Hello,

I have a late 2006 G5 iMac with isight, and I have been experiencing some issues with my "high speed" internet. The iMac was in the shop for a while getting a new hard drive, and when I got it back, my internet was blazing fast. That lasted about a day and a half. Slowly the speed died down, from 1mb+ per second, to about 160kb per second. What is going on? :confused:

I've had to deal with the slow internet speed for a while (also long before the computer was fixed), but I had never taken action, other than replacing my modem and router.

I have a PC in the house connected though ethernet, so I know its not my airport.

Any help? Thanks. :)

iBookG4user
Nov 1, 2009, 11:15 PM
If your iMac is connected through WiFi, have you tested another computer via WiFi to verify that it is not your router that is the culprit?

fa8362
Nov 1, 2009, 11:18 PM
Connect the Mac via ethernet and see what happens to the speed.

Hurd111
Nov 1, 2009, 11:21 PM
Actually, yes, I did. My bud brought over his Macbook, and found that the internet was slow on his laptop too. :(

iBookG4user
Nov 1, 2009, 11:25 PM
Actually, yes, I did. My bud brought over his Macbook, and found that the internet was slow on his laptop too. :(

Then it is the router. You said that you had an Airport? Open Airport Utility and select your Airport Router, then go to Base Station>Restore Default Settings. See if that speeds up your internet speeds.

Hurd111
Nov 1, 2009, 11:25 PM
Connect the Mac via ethernet and see what happens to the speed.

I will try this tomorrow.

Hurd111
Nov 1, 2009, 11:45 PM
Then it is the router. You said that you had an Airport? Open Airport Utility and select your Airport Router, then go to Base Station>Restore Default Settings. See if that speeds up your internet speeds.

Wow! That sped it up a lot! Thanks! :D

But what do I do if it slows down again? I have a feeling it will. (will it?)