Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
For the time I've been using PT8 LE, I've never notice how big the application folder gets when you have a few plug-ins installed... Jesus, is this right??? :eek:

4067811980_a0af043359_o.jpg

What's the size of your ProTools folder, people??

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
My Digidesign folder is 3.7GB. What have you got in there? PT is relatively small...

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Which ones? It's not Pro Tools' fault.

You must have some serious sample-libraries in there.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Which ones?

other than the factory stuff and various tools, there's also...

MOR - lib: 20GB
Strike - lib: 7GB
Structure - lib: 16GB
Golaith - lib: 45GB

:eek: Holy mother of gwad, that's a lot of space!

It's not Pro Tools' fault.

Really? OK, Is it possible to relocate all additional plug-ins to a faster drive, without reinstalling PT or the plug-ins? ideally my RAID? I notice some of the plug-in have content location utilities but not all, the above spave chewing plug-ins don't and I can't install them anywhere else other than in the system drive :eek: Now the system drive is a little too full, MacOS seems to be visiting the beach occasionally!:(:(

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
How did you install the EastWest stuff? Because it prompts you to choose an installation directory for all the samples.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
How did you install the EastWest stuff? Because it prompts you to choose an installation directory for all the samples.

Eh? does it? Umm.. if i remember correctly, when it finished installing the plug-in and first disk, a window appears and informs me to copy the sample libs to xxx folder for the remaining disks. :eek: Did i miss something?

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
Yeah, there should be a way to do that, sample libraries are best running from a dedicated drive, not running from the system-drive. The developers wouldn't make it so that you couldn't do that.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Yeah, there should be a way to do that, sample libraries are best running from a dedicated drive, not running from the system-drive. The developers wouldn't make it so that you couldn't do that.

Let me go try... think I'll need to reinstall them.
BTW, how I uninstall the plug-in? Is there a script? :rolleyes:

Teej guy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2007
You might not have to uninstall and reinstall...there could be a function to relocate the sample libraries...I'm not familiar with those specific ones though.

pkoch1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
Boston
Are you using PLAY or Kontakt?

Either way, there are options to choose where you get your libraries from. On Play its on the bottom left somewhere, and with Kontakt, it is just a file browser on the left that you can point to your new sample library location. Just drag the library folder (EW stuff usually has 2 folders: an Instruments folder and a Samples folder) to somewhere else, and point your Kontakt player or PLAY to the new location. Good luck!

(P.S. It's not the plug in thats taking up so much space. The plug-in is just the software that you open within a DAW that plays the sample library. It's the sample library itself that's taking up so much space.)

EDIT: Here's a screenshot of each.
4077445456_95524e506f.jpg

4076690353_a4907ca5ca_o.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.