PDA

View Full Version : Further Details Regarding Leaked Pro Mac

arn
Jul 22, 2002, 07:08 AM
Some final details are filled in by AppleP58, author of the PDF:

- it is a slim power supply, originally identical to the XServe's with two fans 'attatched' to the end of it (as you may see in older photographs). The final product is 2 inches longer with the 2 fans built in (3 fans in power supply total)
- has a slide-on back cover which pulls off to access the IDE and power cables
- The Hard Drives: The two vertically mounted drives under the powersupply have a pop-off holder with a plastic hook; there is 1 screw which is there for the sole purpose of keeping it from falling out during shipping, as the instructions will attest to in the final product. The 2 horizontally mounted drives, under the optical drives, have a slide out design with 3 mushrooms to catch on like a rail on top, it slides in and has a plastic latch.
- The "mystery port" that was on early designs of the motherboard was a mini-VGA video port (like on the P80 iMac, iBook & PowerBook), and is not in the final product because it was only needed for testing the units sans-video card.
- Thermal grease will be used on the MPUs instead of black thermal pads. There will be single and dual processor MPUs used. It will use DDR.
- The new model P58 was not announced at MacWorld because of troubles with the XServe (P69) in production, the initial order of 4000 has been dificult to fulfill, and has taken up a lot of time of several departments traveling... I'll leave it at that.

Case:

- The metal area on the front panel is glossed aluminum, and as you can see in the photos has mylar covering it causing the haze, it is NOT brushed aluminum nor has it ever been.
- The case IS silver like the P57, has a white & silver speaker, and a hole handle with a larger ring in the side door.

Megaquad
Jul 22, 2002, 07:18 AM
too bad..i wish some of you were little nicer to him..

arn
Jul 22, 2002, 07:26 AM
So... just to fill in gaps to catch those up who haven't been following.

- No one knows much about this person. They created/submitted a PDF which claimed to be images of the new G4 enclosure with some added details.
- Pictures of such an enclosure soon were distributed around the web.
- He/she presumably had access to these images or the real thing to base the PDF off of.
- The details provided here, however, aren't obtainable through the available pictures...

So, I guess we'll see...

arn

StuPid QPid
Jul 22, 2002, 07:37 AM
Could this not just be a clever misinformation campaign by Apple?
Send a few pictures to the rumor sites of a discontinued prototype and then get Apple legal to jump on it?

Or could it be a deliberate leak. Sort of: Yes the new pro Macs are coming, but we're not ready to fully annouce it yet as we've got production problems and a large inventory of existing Power Macs to get rid of?

I'll guess we'll find out soon enough :)

Ensign Paris
Jul 22, 2002, 07:47 AM
They might be trying to stop us talking about .Mac and the Keynote (Not that I was disappointed, I was actually quite content with the keynote)

Ensign

groovebuster
Jul 22, 2002, 08:11 AM
... if the final thing is really silver! I doubted it all the time! I just can't believe that a white speaker looks good in silver case.

Oh my... :confused:

groovebuster

dhdave
Jul 22, 2002, 08:13 AM
Did anybody else read this over at spymac (http://www.spymac.com/forums/?board=2;action=display;threadid=5121;start=15) :

Yeah, the cat's out of the bag. It's one of our cases. Not the final design, but basically that's it. There's a G4 card in it...no biggie though, it's just a processor card. I'll leave the seven pound cooling unit to your imagination, or what it's cooling, that is

There's no way to know for sure, but it sure sounds legit. It leads me to think the specs are indeed very close to reality while the case may still yet be tweaked a bit. One can only hope :D

dh

Joshlew
Jul 22, 2002, 08:20 AM
I just can't wait until it's released!!!!!!:D ;) :p :cool:

shadowfax0
Jul 22, 2002, 08:44 AM
One question...what the hell is an MPU?

Geert
Jul 22, 2002, 08:46 AM
Upgraded system bus, and DDR would be nice.
1.2 or 1.4 Ghz would be OK too
enclosure is just details.

solvs
Jul 22, 2002, 09:01 AM
... or didn't this guy run home crying after someone made a (joking) comment about how he probably didn't know anything. Instead of standing up for himself, and giving us something real to chew on, he made a lame comment about his feelings being hurt, and never posting again.

It's not like he has proved himself or anything (read all of his previous posts, nothing much). Even if he had, jeez, can't he take a joke. You're posting on a public forums with nothing to back you up. The comments towards him could have been much worse.

Nothing against you ARN, I just don't know about this person. Something just doesn't seem to fit right. Maybe I'm just mad, because I've been expecting more from Apple lately and getting less. Sure they're still the lesser of 2 evils, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I feel guilty for convincing people to go Apple lately. We're used to this from M$, but Apple. We can all agree that they seem to be dropping the ball lately.

Maybe I'm just disappointed, or in a bad mood. And please don't tell me to buy a PC (doesn't help the whole switch thing. "If you don't like it, we don't want you. We're complacent in our obsolesence"). I have one, it sux, I hate it. Duh, that's why I want a Mac. But if I'm paying for quality and fair business practices, I want those things. Apple IS a business, it's not a good idea to p*ss off your former zealots.

Back on topic, something just really irked me about this person. The way he reacted to the comment. If he had something to say to back it up, he should have said it. We're cynical (more so now). Getting a PDF from SPYMac (edited with Corel Draw BTW), and saying a bunch of stuff most of us could have guessed or made up to sound true does not equal proof. If these are the real photos (which I doubt, and hope this is a fake), I'll admit to being wrong.

If it's got, at least - a 1.2 GHz G4, ATA/100 (preferrably 133 so I can access 128-137 GB+ hard drives without having to add a PCI card), and DDR-RAM, I'll be the first in line with my CC. I don't think I'm asking for too much on $3,000+ machines. Otherwise, I'm buying an old used, refurb, or discounted model. Or an eMac to play with until they give me a reason to buy a PRO machine. I can just upgrade my PC to crash even faster.

Am I wrong here? I know I've been ranting about this for the last couple of days (nothing better to do this weekend after my parents left. Maybe that's why I'm so pissy?), but can I get an Amen? If Moto's CPU's are so slow (and I don't think they are), get some better hard ware to support it. Mr. Jobs, I want to give $$$ to you, give me a better reason than just the software. Give me something good to run it on.

The Dual Gigs were okay (months ago), but I do video, image, and music editing - on a budget. I won't pay thousands for outdate equipment. Forget the case design, forget the CPU stalls, give me real world performance and a reason to upgrade. We're hit by the reccesion too, and we don't have millions in the bank. We want good features, and good performance for a fair price. You want us to pay for the software and features, give us a reason to upgrade and a reason to be happy with our (realitively)expensive purchases.

All you people who say, "well it's good enough for me", and "it's fast enough" are missing the point. This is a cut-throat business in a cut throat world. You want us to pay, give us a real reason. Not an incremental increase every couple of months. Jobs said he wanted to inovate - Bluetooth, Giga Ethernet, FW, USB, Unix, etc. But ATA/66. They don't even make 66 Drives. Everything will be ATA/133 and soon Serial ATA/200+, and we'll finally get IDE 100 with 120 GB drives. There is such a thing as a Wintel PC folks. The competion, whether you like it or not.

I'm gonna get some sleep now. I'm a little cranky :mad: and really tired :o but I can't be alone on this.

If the case is ugly as sin, but running OS X.2 well, on TODAY'S technology, I'll be happy. :D

If I wanted to have a relationship with something I just tolerated, I'd build a new PC.

Or still be with my psycho ex-girlfriend. :eek:

gopher
Jul 22, 2002, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by arn

- The Hard Drives: The two vertically mounted drives under the powersupply have a pop-off holder with a plastic hook; there is 1 screw which is there for the sole purpose of keeping it from falling out during shipping, as the instructions will attest to in the final product. The 2 horizontally mounted drives, under the optical drives, have a slide out design with 3 mushrooms to catch on like a rail on top, it slides in and has a plastic latch.

Vertically mounted??? As a user group technician I found out Apple did this on the 6500 and several other Macs and what resulted was many more hard drives that failed than normal for that kind of hard drive since they were never designed to be vertically mounted. One hopes that if the next PowerMac does have vertically mounted hard drives they can withstand the stress of gravity better than the 6500 hard drives.

mymemory
Jul 22, 2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
They might be trying to stop us talking about .Mac and the Keynote...
Ensign

That is called "smoke bomb", the politicians uses that a lot when there is a corruption case going on, sometimes they spread news about a terrible disease or things like that.

I guess I will wait for the revision on this one too. I do not know why Apple is having so many troubles lunching a computer.

I think the pictures are real, they looks real. But is really suspicius such amount of specific information when we didn't have any before and just after the cheap keynote. Againg

Lets see .

Mr. Anderson
Jul 22, 2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by arn

- The "mystery port" that was on early designs of the motherboard was a mini-VGA video port (like on the P80 iMac, iBook & PowerBook), and is not in the final product because it was only needed for testing the units sans-video card.

Not to gloat or anything, but it seems I actually called this one - even though it was a bit of speculation.

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4638

But, and I'll stress this, its not a given that we will actually be seeing this, I'm still of the opinion its an old prototype.

D

moJoMR
Jul 22, 2002, 09:33 AM
can anyone mirror these pics for me?? or email?? captainwiggles@mac.com

missed all the action and now they're gone :mad:

dekator
Jul 22, 2002, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by shadowfax0
One question...what the hell is an MPU?

errr... a multi-processor unit ?

bunge
Jul 22, 2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by solvs
You're posting on a public forums with nothing to back you up. The comments towards him could have been much worse.

Just because he's posting on a public forum doesn't mean people may or should be an ******* towards him.

drastik
Jul 22, 2002, 09:44 AM
I'm all for this one. It has DDR, and it has a massive heat sink thats there to cool god knows what. It could be very cool and exactly what everyone's been aching for. I'll wait to get a look at it in the stores, then i'll talk about the case.

I will say that a lot of you PRO users, who relentlessly claim that the insides of the case matter, seem to be complaining the most about this enclusure design.

groovebuster
Jul 22, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by moJoMR
can anyone mirror these pics for me?? or email?? captainwiggles@mac.com

missed all the action and now they're gone :mad:

Check your private messages! :D

groovebuster

drastik
Jul 22, 2002, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by bunge

Just because he's posting on a public forum doesn't mean people may or should be an ******* towards him.

Bunge is right, the only time you should jump down someones throat is if they are being offensive, or trying to start a war.:D

StuPid QPid
Jul 22, 2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by gopher

Vertically mounted??? As a user group technician I found out Apple did this on the 6500 and several other Macs and what resulted was many more hard drives that failed than normal for that kind of hard drive since they were never designed to be vertically mounted. One hopes that if the next PowerMac does have vertically mounted hard drives they can withstand the stress of gravity better than the 6500 hard drives.

Seems a bit strange to me too. Especially when Steve introduced the new iMac, he specifically said that one of the reasons for the final design was that it didn't have to have vertical drives, as they don't operate as well in that direction as they do horizontally. It would be strange if his opinion or technology had changed in the meantime. My guess too is that this is an oldish mock-up Apple prototype. Didn't someone say that the mainboard in the original leaked photos was copyrighted 2001?

groovebuster
Jul 22, 2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by drastik
I will say that a lot of you PRO users, who relentlessly claim that the insides of the case matter, seem to be complaining the most about this enclusure design.

I couldn't care less how they will look like, as long they don't have a case made of dog-**** and are as loud as a starting F-16!! ;)

All I care about is the insides of that new machine, that will come soon hopefully! :) That probably would make me forget a lot of my anger lately! :o

But first I want to see some benchmarks before I maybe shell out the money...

Oh... and that a$$hole thingy... I put a ;) behind that particular sentence to point out that it wasn't supposed to be taken all serious. If that is enough to piss that guy off I am sorry, but it is his problem then. I just didn't see the point why he is still in the thread posting, when all he's doing is telling us that he knows the specs but won't share them with us. This is just craving for attention and reminds me of kindergarten. So that he just left didn't do anything bad to the thread at all, he wouldn't have told more anyway... and if he was up to tell more, he wouldn't have reacted that sissy-like. And I am out of the age to beg someone to tell more. I guess you know what I mean. It would have been a real offense if I wouldn't have marked it as irony, but that way I don't get why people are upset. There were a lot more harsh things going on in the forum before and nobody really cares normally.

groovebuster

esome
Jul 22, 2002, 12:27 PM
i don't get it, doesn't a team of laywers usually drop out of the sky with a cease and desist order a nanosecond after someone posts "leaked" photos of an upcoming apple product?

what does their absence imply?

1) they don't care? why not?
2) they leaked the info themselves? doubtful.
3) they're just slow? maybe.
4) ???

focusdchaos
Jul 22, 2002, 02:57 PM
Could someone point me towards a mirror also?

Thnx.

backspinner
Jul 22, 2002, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by StuPid QPid
Seems a bit strange to me too. Especially when Steve introduced the new iMac, he specifically said that one of the reasons for the final design was that it didn't have to have vertical drives, as they don't operate as well in that direction as they do horizontally.
optical drives...

backspinner
Jul 22, 2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by esome i don't get it
do you see any pictures at this time? we don't any more...

mischief
Jul 22, 2002, 05:18 PM
I go have a nice weekend, come back and the infamous pics are gone before I can even scrutinize them!!

If anyone would be so kind I have email capable of handling larger image files at mischief6xr@mac.com.

Thanx!;)

Wow!! 2 copies is more than I need!!, thanks to the two of you!:D :eek:

Sun Baked
Jul 22, 2002, 05:39 PM
Didn't someone say that the mainboard in the original leaked photos was copyrighted 2001?

The mainboard you cannot read, but the CPU daughtercard with the CPU twist is marked 2001.

But MOSR has been updated and is making the call for 10.2 AND the new PowerMac as Aug 24th.

Sun Baked
Jul 22, 2002, 05:44 PM
OK, how many people said that the only reason for all the cooling fans is to cool the 3GHz Pentium 4 that'll be stuck in the next Mac?

Hopefully we'll find out what really is happening in 4 weeks.

Snowy_River
Jul 22, 2002, 05:51 PM
I'd like a copy of the pics too. I saw the one posted at MOSR, but not the others that started this whole brew-ha-ha. So, if someone could point to a mirror or email them to me, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks! :D

geoffw@myexcel.com

backspinner
Jul 22, 2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by arn
- The "mystery port" that was on early designs of the motherboard was a mini-VGA video port
As I posted in the other thread: if you compare the current photo's to the eBay motherboard, these are almost similar. So if these pictures of the innards of the tower are real, I bet the mystery port will be there. And the port on the eBay board definitly looked like FireWire 2. Why would they take the difficulties of including video on a motherboard if there are also PCI slots on it? That doesn't make sense. Even the Xserve doesn't have video on board and that one will benefit from it very much.

kaneda
Jul 22, 2002, 07:42 PM
according to zdnet Moto just released a G5 chip...I don't know if it is the chip uses in the Apple Powermac..

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-945430.html

IndyGopher
Jul 22, 2002, 08:07 PM

What are you going on about? The 6500 does not have a vertically mounted hard drive. I cannot remember if the TAM had a vertical drive or not.. but I cannot think of a single Mac ever that had a vertically mounted drive. On the other hand, millions of PC's out there have vertically mounted drives... and every major drive manufacturer lists vertical as an accepted orientation anyway.

backspinner
Jul 22, 2002, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by kaneda
Moto just released a G5 chip...
nice chip to do your router with, but not suitable for desktop computing
missing things like caches and includes lots of communication things

Apple won't use the G5 name in the future since Moto already uses it for totaly different things.

barkmonster
Jul 22, 2002, 08:46 PM
do macs use chipsets like the PC ?

I'm assuming the Xserve uses some kind of chipset to use DDR with a plain old G4.

These new motorla chips look pretty good for use on a motherboard maybe.

The wierd thing is there's a few similarities with the G4 :

the G5...

32bit
32K + 32K L1 cache
256K L2 cache
1850 MIPS @ 800Mhz (2.31 IPC)
7 stage pipeline

and the G4...

32bit
32K + 32K L1 cache
256K L2 cache
2310 MIPS @ 1Ghz (2.31 IPC)
7 stage pipeline

Also, it tops out at 1Ghz :D

Doesn't look like a CPU in the desktop sense by any stretch of the imagination although if technologies filter down to the 75xx series we'll have faster G4s and apple could quite easily name a G4 with DDR and Rapid I/O as the G5 because it would share so many of the G5's features it would technically be a G5 in the desktop sense.

Also, notice the crossbar that's been mentioned as a future feature of the PowerPC family since before even G4 came out and the fact it's only 32bit ?

All I'm saying is, I don't care what they call the next powermac, if it's still got a 7 stage pipeline and they've added DDR support, it's 5th generation enough for me.

zed
Jul 22, 2002, 09:14 PM
could someone email the pics to me or send me a Private Message puleeze..... i missed all the excitement this morining....

email: richardkelly6@yahoo.com

thanks

bretm
Jul 22, 2002, 09:29 PM

Seems a bit strange to me too. Especially when Steve introduced the new iMac, he specifically said that one of the reasons for the final design was that it didn't have to have vertical drives, as they don't operate as well in that direction as they do horizontally. It would be strange if his opinion or technology had changed in the meantime. My guess too is that this is an oldish mock-up Apple prototype. Didn't someone say that the mainboard in the original leaked photos was copyrighted 2001?

He was talking about optical drives.

Lots of Avid post houses with tons of drives in a closet somewhere have them mounted vertically. Never seen a problem. Even on drives that are 5, 6, 7 years old. I would assume newer drives are just fine. Most external firewire drives are designed to sit horizontally or vertically.

joeyschmoe
Jul 22, 2002, 09:35 PM
The G5 generation of Motorola processors use Motorola's seven layer 0.13-micron SOI manufacturing process. This is Motorola's most advanced manufacturing process, and is the most important of a half-dozen or so new features that Motorola is adding to its PowerPC processors with the fifth design generation. The G4s that are currently available are manufactured using Motorola's 0.18-micron copper process (HiP6 .18-micron copper).

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0112/04.motorola.php
for more detialed information.

barendt
Jul 22, 2002, 10:01 PM
Ok, maybe three is a crowd, but could someone also email me the pics of the rumored new enclosure? barendt@boisestate.edu

I have seen the pdf file so I don't need that but I would love to see some of the rumored pics.

And as a side note, does anyone really think we will see a significant speed increases? I am talking about 1.8GHz or higher. Please don't tell me all about the GHz myth - I know and heard it all before. Apple does seem to be falling behind, what with 2.5GHz on the PC side and only 1 (rumors up to 1.4 on the current G4). I love my Mac but at 3GHz one has to wonder how successful the switch campaign would be. Now if this big heat sink is any clue maybe we could see 2GHz??? :D

Huked on Fonick
Jul 22, 2002, 10:29 PM
This all seems faily reasonalbe except for the hole part about a 7 pound heat sink........
7 founds of aluminium that would take up the hole case. Lets put this into perspective. A Gallon of Water is a little over 7 pounds right around 8 pounds and i think aluminium is ligher than water????

Maybe this guy has never picked it up and is estamating or maybe he doesent know or something????

Thats sounds re-dink-u-luss

My 0.02 USD

-Pat

MacAnonymous
Jul 22, 2002, 11:26 PM
Yeah, could some one be so kind as to send me a picture or two of whatever hit the web while I was away on business this weekend!?

*insert Bambi eyes here*

PAH-leeze?

macgeek@hotmail.com

LordRPI
Jul 22, 2002, 11:37 PM
Just my $.02 here...

With all the things going on around here, I'm starting to actually doubt if Motorola is the real cause of the slump that Apple seems to be in right now. I could totally see a 2001 copyright as plausible right now... as from what I gather from intuition, the new PowerMacs we are expecting now should have been out at the time of the release of the Apollo's, which border on the year of 2001.

You guys probably didn't notice me at MWNY, but I was one of the guys in the DivX T-Shirts harassing the Apple guys; there were some actual engineers on the floor, few and far between. I spoke to Frank Casanova of QT for quite some time ;-). From what I gathered, a lot of Apple engineers I met (don't want to give out names) are really "Mac" people, not die hard computing freaks... a good amount of them, if not the majority, are oblivious to what is going on in the PC world. In fact, I was told by an Apple QuckTime engineer that "DivX didn't even work on a PC." (For those of you familiar with the AVI bug in QT).

What surprised me even more, during some presentations on the floor the Apple guy would say "The fastest Pentium4 available runs at 2.2 ghz..." MY ARSE.

slavey
Jul 22, 2002, 11:41 PM
Could one of you kind souls take kindly to this poor sap who had to work the weekend because our lousy NT server :mad: at work crashed on Friday and please, please send a copy of the photos of the new machine to mailto:web@slavey.com

TIA...

redAPPLE
Jul 23, 2002, 01:20 AM

the ipod (=harddrive) stands basically vertical right? and the ipod has been selling for quite some time now, without any known problems.

so i guess, it is safe to these vertical harddrives would work fine, too.

vertically placed harddrives would save space too, right anyone?

if that is so, we could (if apple allows it to) stack more harddrives in the g4 enclosure.

solvs
Jul 23, 2002, 01:29 AM

Bunge is right, the only time you should jump down someones throat is if they are being offensive, or trying to start a war.:D

groovebuster was just messing around. If you read the original post that made this guy "never post again" he wasn't really being mean. He was more trying to press the guy for info. He (like most of us) seemed a little skeptical. Plus the smily face. People have said really rude things to me, and if I have proof to back up what I say, I post it. If they're just being jerks, I usually just ignore them. The original poster found the comment offensive (which I don't think it was IMO) and said something to the effect of "you're mean, I'm never posting here again", which for some reason really irked me (in case you couldn't tell by my previous posts).

Not that I'm defending groove (well, okay, maybe I am), but if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Flame away.

groovebuster
Jul 23, 2002, 01:52 AM
.... Oooops I posted this already yesterday an now it shows up again.... weird!

Sorry, I don't know what happened, just deleted it!

groovebuster

Grokgod
Jul 23, 2002, 02:32 AM
~lordrpi

I find that to be a very interesting story!

I really think that something is happenig or NOT happening inside Apple.

One example is the Divx problem, why in the world is it so hard to get this codex to work on a current os? I am sure there must be a way, but I sure havent figured it out yet.

I mean what happened to Macs beingthe easiest computers to work with.

Does not being able to do something make it easier to give up?

You have any others stories to back up the "engineers in the clouds" possibilties.?

StuPid QPid
Jul 23, 2002, 04:08 AM
Originally posted by bretm

He was talking about optical drives.

Lots of Avid post houses with tons of drives in a closet somewhere have them mounted vertically. Never seen a problem. Even on drives that are 5, 6, 7 years old. I would assume newer drives are just fine. Most external firewire drives are designed to sit horizontally or vertically.

Cheers, thanks for putting me right on that :)

I should have realised it was just the optical drives Steve was talking about.
Come to think of it, doesn't the new XServe RAID have vertically oriented hard drives.

backspinner
Jul 23, 2002, 04:13 AM
Originally posted by bretm
Lots of Avid post houses with tons of drives in a closet somewhere have them mounted vertically. Never seen a problem.
the Xraid has vertical drives as well

groovebuster
Jul 23, 2002, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Grokgod
One example is the Divx problem, why in the world is it so hard to get this codex to work on a current os? I am sure there must be a way, but I sure havent figured it out yet.

You have any others stories to back up the "engineers in the clouds" possibilties.?

It has to do with license fees, copyrights, patents and support. DivX is no officlal format, it is a "hack" of some codecs mixed together by some Open Source freaks, even violating the patent pending mp4 standard, since it is using some parts for the video-compression.

Do you think that the Windows Media Player can play DixXs by standard? Last time I checked it couldn't.

Apple only implements technology that is based on official patents or standards, what is all OK in my opinon. QT is open for Plug-Ins, so it is up to the OpenSource community to deliver a working DivX Plug-In or Player for MacOS X...

It is the same reason why you will never see a DVD-Player that can play DivX-movies, although the technology is there and there were already some prototypes.

The moment Apple would implement DivX in Qt, they would be in deep ***** with the media industry. And that's the last thing they want with their digital hub strategy.

groovebuster

barkmonster
Jul 23, 2002, 05:17 AM
There's no divX problem on the mac aslong as you don't think you can just drop the codec in the quicktime extension folder and then open the avi files.

if you get DivX Doctor II, the wma codec and the latest divX codec (all available on the same site), you just drop the plug-ins in the right place, drag you're DivX format AVIs over DivX doctor then open the doctored .MOV file it creates from it. NO playback issues. Also concidering the DivX codec runs fine on my beige G3, I can't see how anyone with a G4 could be having any issues with DivX unless they don't know about preparing the files for playback.

ntg
Jul 23, 2002, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by dukestreet

Not to gloat or anything, but it seems I actually called this one - even though it was a bit of speculation.

http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?threadid=4638

But, and I'll stress this, its not a given that we will actually be seeing this, I'm still of the opinion its an old prototype.

D

Sorry, Dukestreet, but I pre-date you by about three days on that one:
http://www.macrumors.com/forums/showthread.php3?s=&threadid=4500

And anyhow, the point is I don't know why they didn't keep this idea for the XServes - it sort of made sense! :cool:

ImAlwaysRight
Jul 23, 2002, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by IndyGopher

What are you going on about? The 6500 does not have a vertically mounted hard drive. I cannot remember if the TAM had a vertical drive or not.. but I cannot think of a single Mac ever that had a vertically mounted drive. On the other hand, millions of PC's out there have vertically mounted drives... and every major drive manufacturer lists vertical as an accepted orientation anyway.
IndyGopher, what are YOU talking about? The PowerMac 6500 (and PowerMac/Performa 6400) models have vertically mounted hard drives.

Frankly, I don't care if the drives are vertically mounted. If that's what's needed in the design to get us to 1.4GHz with DDR RAM and ATA/133, then mount the drives vertical. I normally take out the stock ATA drive and put in my own drive(s) anyway (currently the WD 120GB Special Edition w/8MB disk cache). These drives come with a 3-year warranty, so even if they are more likely to fail in a vertical orientation, they probably won't, and if they do, I'm covered. Apple, just give us somethign faster using TODAY's technology. ATA/66 in current "top-of-the-line" Powermacs that cost 3 grand? That's a joke.

LordRPI
Jul 23, 2002, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Grokgod
~lordrpi

I find that to be a very interesting story!

I really think that something is happenig or NOT happening inside Apple.

I'm not at liberty to start giving out more info, and I wouldn't even consider myself a reliable inside source. But generally, I know ~10 apple engineers of some sort, all are oblivious to the PC world. What I will say though is, Apple seems to be cutting back on the actual hardware engineering jobs, noting that a good amount of their engineers put in extreme hours. Most of the effort seems to have shifted to the iApps. For those of you at MWNY, you'll definately see that as being true.

I will respond to the DivX problem in another reply...

LordRPI
Jul 23, 2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by groovebuster

It has to do with license fees, copyrights, patents and support. DivX is no officlal format, it is a "hack" of some codecs mixed together by some Open Source freaks, even violating the patent pending mp4 standard, since it is using some parts for the video-compression.

The current version of DivX(5) is no longer a hack, it is a legitamate codec. DivXNetworks also pays for MPEG-4 licensing fees.

Do you think that the Windows Media Player can play DixXs by standard? Last time I checked it couldn't.

That's not the point... Windows Media Player can play DivX correctly as long as the DivX codec is installed. The problem with QT, is that the AVI handler they use is dated, so it does not know how to correctly parse mp3 information within the AVI. All Linux and Windows movie players can read an AVI correctly. Maybe I should phrase it, "QuickTime cannot play an AVI file back correctly."

Apple only implements technology that is based on official patents or standards, what is all OK in my opinon. QT is open for Plug-Ins, so it is up to the OpenSource community to deliver a working DivX Plug-In or Player for MacOS X...

Because of the AVI issue in QT, the plugins for DivX can support video correctly, but the Audio is broken.

gropo
Jul 23, 2002, 10:30 AM
While I am still extremely skeptical of the leaked pics (due to the vent-hole misalignment), It ocurred to me that perhaps if you see this tower *in person*, the aluminum plate might not stand out as much like a sore thumb... Rather the color/saturation might blend in to the plastic very nicely.

G4scott
Jul 23, 2002, 11:05 AM
It looks like the server's picking up it's daytime load again... It's getting bogged down like yesterday...

Well, something is definitely going on at Apple... The huge cooling system means super-fast G4's, or a completely different processor altogether. I don't think that the G4 would get hot enough to justify a heat sink the size of the G4 cube...

Maybe if Apple is going to use IBM Power4 chips, they could call the new powermacs, Power4Macs... i don't know, it sounds kinda catchy... :cool:

I just hope whatever Apple has in store for us is good...

mcrain
Jul 23, 2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by G4scott
It looks like the server's picking up it's daytime load again... It's getting bogged down like yesterday...

Hey Arn, shut the boards down again, but this time, either leave the private boards open, or allow the demi-gods access while shutting out the rif-raf.

jayscheuerle
Jul 23, 2002, 11:42 AM
There's NO WAY Apple is going to release another tower with this aged design. It doesn't fit in with ANY of their current products. I'd pay more attention to what's inside. I wouldn't pay ANY attention to this feebly crafted diversion.... - j

drastik
Jul 23, 2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by jayscheuerle
There's NO WAY Apple is going to release another tower with this aged design. It doesn't fit in with ANY of their current products. I'd pay more attention to what's inside. I wouldn't pay ANY attention to this feebly crafted diversion.... - j

Why do so many people insist that they know what Apple will do. If anything, they'll do the least likely thing. I'll admit that the case doesn't look very Ives-esque, but it could be an Apple Product, especially with an updated G4 in the mix. They probably wouldn't release the case destined for the G5 with a G4 in it at any time. Setting the G5 apart will be very important.

wchamlet
Jul 23, 2002, 12:48 PM
While I am still extremely skeptical of the leaked pics (due to the vent-hole misalignment)

If you look at the entire picture, instead of the close up picture, you'll see that the holes are distorted because there is plastic covering the entire tower. If you look close, you'll see the distortion of the plastic as it pics up light right around the air vents.

esome
Jul 23, 2002, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by backspinner

do you see any pictures at this time? we don't any more...

uh... MOSR still has them up.

http://www.macosrumors.com/i/newg42.jpg

jayscheuerle
Jul 23, 2002, 12:57 PM

Why do so many people insist that they know what Apple will do. If anything, they'll do the least likely thing. I'll admit that the case doesn't look very Ives-esque, but it could be an Apple Product, especially with an updated G4 in the mix. They probably wouldn't release the case destined for the G5 with a G4 in it at any time. Setting the G5 apart will be very important.

You got me on that one, BUT Apple's extremely sensitive to how they're being perceived and the Quicksilver cases were a joke for a box in desperate need of an upgrade. These cases haven't substantially changed since the B/W G3's. I'm betting that Apple finally acknowledges that people don't carry their towers around by the handles and like stacking peripherals on top by making an elegant, simply lined box. G5's could be a year away.... or more....

chubakka
Jul 23, 2002, 01:06 PM
it seems to me that it's just a different version of the present case...
with the plastics missing from the drive bay doors...
you test hardware in almost any case... this could even be a remnant
design from the quicksilver design phase... use the old molds and just
drop in the new hardware for testing...maybe the front and back panels are the only thing that are really new.

primalman
Jul 23, 2002, 01:12 PM
This has to be a fake.

While the plastics would seem to go with the current consumer color schemes, pro would be a lttle different. And while the basic G3/G4 case design is a great one but showing age, I find a few flaws in the case itself.

Number one is the proportional size. Look at your current G4 case next to you. It is proportionally wider based on the height than compared to this 'leaked' photo. Also the CD drive bay doors look a little too narrow for that case width unless this thing was freaking tall, like at least 8" taller than the current box.

if this is true, that the case is proportionally different and larger, ask yourself this simple question:

If Apple was going to design a newer, larger case for the new crop of pro desktops, woulnd't they have spent the money on the factory retool on a new and differnet case design? Whay would they rework the plastic molds for a door panal that is the same shape and design?

Retooling is expensive. If this is the case, that they have retooled, this will be the basic case design for a while i would guess, no real different box for at least a year. Check the G3/G4 graphite/G4 Quicksilver timelines.

My 2.

gropo
Jul 23, 2002, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by wchamlet

If you look at the entire picture, instead of the close up picture, you'll see that the holes are distorted because there is plastic covering the entire tower. If you look close, you'll see the distortion of the plastic as it pics up light right around the air vents. Yeah I also thought of that possibility... Originally couldn't see how cellophane could "lens" an image to that degree, but I suppose it's entirely possible.

Let's suppose there's a picture I've doctored to better reflect what the actual tones of this case might look like. let's suppose it's in g_v_s homepage@mac.com in the .Pictures directory and is called contrast.jpg This is entirely a theory, of course.

solvs
Jul 23, 2002, 01:42 PM
I think we can all agree we love the Mac OS. Why else would we be here? And we hate the way M$ does business.

But a lot of us loyalists, who once touted the superiority of the hardware, software, and the company in general, seem to be waivering. Apple isn't the only one running a business in an "economic slowdown". Most of us are at least budgeting, and need the most bang for our bucks.

Sorry to tell you, but Wintels are the competition. If Apple wants to win consumers, and keep us non-zealot supporters, they need to wake up. If Motorola is lagging, find other ways to make things look better. Faster FSB, memory, IDE, overall system improvements. The cases are neat and all, but what about what's inside? The software is Fantastic, give us the hardware to prove it. We all dislike Windows.

And M$. So why conduct business like they do? I support them buying up other companies to innovate (Apple, not M$), and giving us new software solutions, but at what costs. Should we just accept it, because it's the lesser of 2 evils? Should we just say, "well that's the fastest Mac there is, so I'll buy it". Or "it looks so stylish, who cares if it's still using last years technology". Why become complacent with the obsolesencs?

Should we have to over pay for things that others offer for free, or at least cheaper? People are mad because they feel extorted, and dammit, they have every right to be pissed. They paid extra because they thought they were getting more. Now they're getting the old "bait and switch". The extras of .Mac are worth $100/year, if they work. But what about the "free for life" e-mail. Or paying $1,000 for a new OS X.2 Server Liscense 2 months after buying a $4,000+ xServe? Or even FULL PRICE for an upgrade. They want us to buy hardware before an Expo, then punish us if we do.

See if anybody buys a new Mac after they announce 10.3, but before they deliver it. Next it will be XP type registration practices. Isn't this why we're trying to move away M$. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't get new customers by p*ssing people off, and you lose those that used to support you. How many of us used to rave to our friends, family, and co-workers about Apples? How many of us now think twice before recommending them? They want to switch people, give them a better reason to want to switch.

They want to move into the Pro realm, give us Pro hardware. Who cares if you have a 1.2 GHz CPU, if it's surrounded by ATA/133 (which really is better than ATA/66), 120 GB+ Hard Drives, PC2700 DDR, 166 FSB (x2), 2 CD Drives, USB 2, built-in Bluetooth, etc. It matters now. You can do it. How many of us use GB Ethernet, or used USB or FW when they first came out? You can't use modern day specs!?!

You want to charge us more, give us more. All you zealots can flame away. "Apple good, Wintel bad, must hide head in sand". You should see what the other side is saying, I'm a zealot to them. But I'm just trying to be a realist here. I want a new Mac, but nothing on the current roster suits my needs. I'm not paying $2,000 for style. I can't afford to. Not many can (and if you can, lucky you). Mr. Jobs, give me something fairly decent and I'll take a (slight) performance hit for the extra stability and ease of use.

It's my $$$, I'll take it where I think it would serve me best. And telling people to just go buy a PC doesn't help. Actually it just proves my point. Because that's exactly what people do. This isn't a private club, it's a business claiming to want new customers, and in doing so doesn't seem to be catering to it's current base. If anything, it's p*ssing off it's most important clientel by making a lot of really bad choices. We're not happy, and we, the customer, are what matter.

Voice your opinions people. And b*tch all you want, until someone listens. Because no, it's not "good enough".

We're mad as Hell, and we're not gonna take it anymore.

chubakka
Jul 23, 2002, 02:23 PM
wow I think I've heard all that about a thousand times...

I'm not at all interested in the outside of the case at the moment...

Apple competes with PC makers who don't innovate... the biggest innovation they have is more megahertz... that's it... and apple can't be expected to
reinvent the wheel every 6 months. And they also can't be expected to keep shelling out the bucks for free services. IF the August powermac release is the major board upgrade, if not the G5 update we have been waiting for...
I'll BET that it will be a substantial upgrade in preformance.... and paired with an Xraid... oooo...

And $129 for 10.2 is worth it I'm sure. It's not a point release...

but really... is a cheaper over clocked pc really the answer to those who aren't getting it fast enough or cheap enough in the mac world?

I doubt it. They're never happy anyway.

SPG
Jul 23, 2002, 02:29 PM
Wow, go away for a little fun in the snow for a weekend and look what happens. And no, I don't need the photos emailed, I just got 'em from MOSR. Ignoring the question of authenticity and just looking at the info at hand, the heat sink looks like one of two things to my untrained eye. First, forward planning for the G5 just down the road. Second guess is that the new boxes could have a multi proc setup just for rendering, several proc linked together to be a built in render farm. What do you think? Possible? Nobody is syaing that on eor two G4 chips needs that big of a heat sink, but what about 4 or more G4's? If they aren't the 1 gig chips, but a bunch of the older slower ones clustered would that economically feasible? Would it be worth it?

big
Jul 23, 2002, 02:33 PM
>Hey Arn, shut the boards down again, but this time, either leave the private boards open, or allow the demi-gods access while shutting out the rif-raf.

hmmm, thanks! just cause I dont contribute like a mad man I get the boot?

>And $129 for 10.2 is worth it I'm sure. It's not a point release...
even better as a student! look at the software inluded...if 10.2 is as easy as it says it is to connect to winlows...then dave goes outta business (because I wont buy licences), and I don't hve to spend 3+ hours configuring each mac with samba so already, by purchacing 10.2 I am actually making money, (including my hourly rate into the figure)

that's awesome

G4scott
Jul 23, 2002, 03:20 PM
I think it was Think Secret who was saying that new powermacs would be released on August 15th (or was it the 14th :confused: )

It looks like we're going to have to wait a while for this one... But I'm still wondering what kind of processors or what they're going to put in the thing to require such a heat sink...

drastik
Jul 23, 2002, 03:28 PM
If they come i august it'll be on the 12th which ends the rebate currently running, and is a Monday, for what that's worth.;)

big
Jul 23, 2002, 03:38 PM
Man, they better not rock, I just ordered 10.2

primalman
Jul 23, 2002, 03:49 PM
http://www.spymac.com/forums/?board=2;action=display;threadid=5287;start=1

Fat Tony
Jul 23, 2002, 04:51 PM
If this is at all real, maybe the 7lb heatsink is for Quad-Processors?

SPG
Jul 23, 2002, 04:51 PM
There is another reason to use a big sink, especially with a variable speed fan and lots of vents... silence. The big heat sink and variable speed fan combined with a seperate fan for the optical drives could be a good combination to make a tower silent most of the time. Think about it, the fan would only have to come on when the temperature reaches a certain point. Smooth quiet operation.

Sun Baked
Jul 23, 2002, 05:04 PM
C'mon the only reason a Mac would need that kind of cooling and a 7lb heatsink is for dual 3GHz Pentium 4s.

I can definitely say is that the placement of the holes and the speaker look odd in the Spymac photos.

Now all that thing really needs to look fast are fins - hey it worked in the 50's on cars.

pncc
Jul 23, 2002, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by kaneda
according to zdnet Moto just released a G5 chip...I don't know if it is the chip uses in the Apple Powermac..

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-945430.html

read the article. It is NOT the G5 we are interested in.:(

eirik
Jul 23, 2002, 08:32 PM
An argument has been made that the oversized heat sink is overkill, even for quad processors.

The argument has to do with specific heat, aluminium's conductivity, and the geometry of the heat sink in the photos. Personally, I haven't seen the heat sink up close; can one do so in those photos? I have read, however, that it is has an awful lot of depth and little in the way of flanges for increased surface area for heat transfer.

All that said, I'm not looking to discuss this any further given that I don't have a close up of the heat sink. I want to look at this in another way.

What if the heat sink in the photos exists to serve a different purpose? Every prototype unit that goes out to NDA's folks undoubtedly has anti-tampering mechanisms, could be something as siimple as special tape.

Well, stuff happens in shipment and handling of these boxes. So, there are likely to be situations where these anti-tampering mechanisms yield false positives that indicate that someone has opened a box that should not be opened.

On the other hand, some Apple partners may be allowed to open their prototype units. If Apple wishes to prevent the partners from getting a good look at the motherboard, and there's the possibility of or the expectation that partners will open the box, then Apple would want some means to hide the motherboard in that event. So, maybe, just maybe, an oversized heat sink covering most if not all of the motherboard would discourage a large percentage of those partners that might or would open their prototype units from seeing the motherboard. That is, many partners may not be so bold as to remove the heat sink to get a good look at the motherboard. Note, I don't know for sure that the heat sink does in fact totally or nearly obstruct viewing of the motherboard; this is an assumption.

Well, there you are. Maybe this oversized heat sink is yet another means by which Apple endeavors to keep its motherboard, including its components, a secret from its partners. If so, then all of our excited discussion about Apple moving forward with some high performance, power sucking, and heat gushing super processors may all be for not. Could the heat sink be meaningless?

Fizix
Jul 23, 2002, 10:15 PM
Is a 7 lb. Heat Sink Possible?

Based on estimations from the PDF file showing the general layout of the Powermac's internal components it is entirely possible that a 7 lb. heat sink could be in the next computer. Based on my calculations, using the density of aluminum, a 7 lb. block of aluminum should be about 4inches x 6inches x6inches (give or take an inch in each direction). We will just have to wait and see.....:)

beetlemyer
Jul 23, 2002, 10:46 PM
if anyone else feels kind enough. please send me the pics at beetlemyer@mac.com...

thanks.

peterh
Jul 24, 2002, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by solvs
...They want to move into the Pro realm, give us Pro hardware. Who cares if you have a 1.2 GHz CPU, if it's surrounded by ATA/133 (which really is better than ATA/66), 120 GB+ Hard Drives, PC2700 DDR, 166 FSB (x2), 2 CD Drives, USB 2, built-in Bluetooth, etc. It matters now. You can do it. How many of us use GB Ethernet, or used USB or FW when they first came out? You can't use modern day specs!?!...

While ATA/100 or even 133 would be a welcome improvement. It really only plays a pert in burst transfers. Most of the stuff that Apple is gearing for requires sustained throughput. Many drives available today can achieve this, and come nowhere near taxing the ATA/66 bus. USB 2, is kind of pointless, other than there are periferals out there that use it. Firewire has equivalent bandwidth, and is overall a more flexible architecture. Bluetooth would be nice, but the stuff around that uses ut is un polished. Besides it would do better for it to ship built in on Laptops first. just make it an option in the BTO, use an internal USB port and an antenna. Apple can't fool with the FSB speed because the 7455 doesn't support >133MHz, and it also doesn't support DDR SDRAM. Meaning that the best Apple can do is do DDR as the XServer does it. This works well for a served which is IO constrained in many cases, and the DMA access to ethernet, etc. However, if your processor is the item needing access to the memory and it will only talk at 133 MHz and only on one side of the clock, adding faster memory won't do you any good. I can tell you now that the G4's are often data starved. I can easily write a program the runs faster on a 700 MHz iBook, than on a 800 MHz PowerBook G4, because of the iBook's 512k L2 cache on the PPC750FX. If Moto won't give them CPU's that can handled >133 FSB and DDR Apple needs to max out the size of the L3 cache, currently 2 MB, and uses the fastest DDR ram they can find. Moto only certifies the L3 at 250 MHz on the MPC7455, but it may work faster, say 333 MHz, which gives a DDR speed of 666, 2/3 of the 1GHz Processor clock.

Peyote
Jul 24, 2002, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by Fizix
Is a 7 lb. Heat Sink Possible?

Based on estimations from the PDF file showing the general layout of the Powermac's internal components it is entirely possible that a 7 lb. heat sink could be in the next computer. Based on my calculations, using the density of aluminum, a 7 lb. block of aluminum should be about 4inches x 6inches x6inches (give or take an inch in each direction). We will just have to wait and see.....:)

Ah yes grasshopper, but you are measuring a solid aluminum block, not a heatsink. A heatsink will be milled out with fins and valleys. An actual heatsink is probably about 1/2 aluminum and 1/2 airspace between the fins. That would double your measurements for the overall size. More like 8" x 12" x 12" (If your measurements are correct, I don't feel like doing the math). Now 8x12x12 is a MASSIVE friggin heatsink, and I doubt it will do any good being that big. There becomes a point on computer heatsinks where more aluminum doesn't have any effect, as it doesn't get heated up since it is so far away from CPU. The tempature difference is microscopic, unless you run a processor at a MUCH higher tempature....150 degrees for instance. Bottom line is if a processor get's hot enough to need 7 lbs of aluminum to cool it, you've got bigger issues to worry about than dissapating heat (a melted MOBO for instance).

Fizix
Jul 24, 2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Peyote

Ah yes grasshopper, but you are measuring a solid aluminum block, not a heatsink. A heatsink will be milled out with fins and valleys. An actual heatsink is probably about 1/2 aluminum and 1/2 airspace between the fins. That would double your measurements for the overall size. More like 8" x 12" x 12" (If your measurements are correct, I don't feel like doing the math). Now 8x12x12 is a MASSIVE friggin heatsink, and I doubt it will do any good being that big. There becomes a point on computer heatsinks where more aluminum doesn't have any effect, as it doesn't get heated up since it is so far away from CPU. The tempature difference is microscopic, unless you run a processor at a MUCH higher tempature....150 degrees for instance. Bottom line is if a processor get's hot enough to need 7 lbs of aluminum to cool it, you've got bigger issues to worry about than dissapating heat (a melted MOBO for instance).

My calculations already included the heat sink of 50% aluminum and 50% airspace. A solid 7lb cube of aluminium would be be about 4.2 inches x 4.2 inches x 4.2 inches. Assuming a (50% Al/50% air) heat sink the dimensions grow to only 5.2 inches x 5.2 inches x 5.2 inches. This is possible, but you are correct that it is still HUGE. I guess in the final analysis we will have to wait until the Powermac arrives to determine if the heatsink is that large and what it's supposed to be cooling.

:)

big
Jul 24, 2002, 07:14 PM
does water transfer heat better than aluminum? what IF there was some kind of aluminum outer core, with a water inner core?

seriously, that could explain an actual heat sink's weight, though small enough to really fit within a CPU shell.

maybe the warm water moves up the fins, to disperse heat where the fans would be located, while the cooler water (which is heaver) falls back downward (only for vertically mounted boards)

this might give us taller, more slender heat sinks....any thought?
the only problem is, it seems that water could not transfer heat fast enough, and vica versa, but maybe it will act as some kind of thermal barrier, keeping the temp relatively warm, and not letting it get too hot, while the rest of the heat sink design uses the aluminum fins to get rid of most of the heat...

Peyote
Jul 25, 2002, 06:37 AM
I doubt there is any water involved. No company is going to make a computer that is only fast when it's water cooled. A couple have tried, but failed.

Maybe the heatsink has a copper core or something

matthewreid
Jul 25, 2002, 08:06 AM
The motherboard is printed with "2001" on it. Any thoughts?

Matt

gropo
Jul 25, 2002, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by matthewreid
The motherboard is printed with "2001" on it. Any thoughts?

Matt Yes, my thought is: prototype daughtercards have older copyright dates (as they are not released to the public)... The daughtercard in question was originally designed/produced in 2001, thus it has a 2001 stamp. Once the new d-card design is in production, expect a 2002 stamp.

P.S. Brown/red Apple circuit board = prototype (unless it's a MacII series or earlier :P)

gropo
Jul 25, 2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Peyote
Maybe the heatsink has a copper core or something OML!! Did *someone else* just say COPPER!? Whut up guys!? Why do you have the concept of "Aluminum Heat Sink" lodged up your asses?

primalman
Jul 25, 2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by gropo
OML!! Did *someone else* just say COPPER!? Whut up guys!? Why do you have the concept of "Aluminum Heat Sink" lodged up your asses?

You know, copper is a VERY good heat conductor, that is way so many professional grade cooking pans and skillets are made with rounded copper bottoms, they transfer the heat from the source to the food much more efficiently than iron, alumninum or stainless ever could.

Hmmmmmmm...this is interesting :)

primalman
Jul 25, 2002, 09:09 AM
Did anyone else notice that there is no Apple logo to be seen on the face of the 'rumor' machine?

chubakka
Jul 25, 2002, 09:29 AM
there's no apple on the front of the current quicksilver...

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

there does appear to be the big apple on the side of the case.

primalman
Jul 25, 2002, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by chubakka
there's no apple on the front of the current quicksilver...

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

there does appear to be the big apple on the side of the case.

my bad, still using digital audio here, not realizing that apple is going no logo on face of pro stuff