PDA

View Full Version : O2 Offers to Unlock iPhones in UK

MacRumors
Nov 9, 2009, 02:08 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/09/o2-offers-to-unlock-iphones-in-uk/)

Starting tomorrow, UK wireless carrier will begin offering to unlock (http://shop.o2.co.uk/update/unlockmyiphone.html) its customers' iPhones, allowing them to be used on any compatible network. The move comes as rival carrier Orange

Article Link: O2 Offers to Unlock iPhones in UK (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/09/o2-offers-to-unlock-iphones-in-uk/)

alphaod
Nov 9, 2009, 02:10 PM
Awesome. When AT&T's exclusivity ends, we can only hope AT&T will do the same.

bigandy
Nov 9, 2009, 02:11 PM
Good news, but I'd rather it was around 15 less.

afd
Nov 9, 2009, 02:24 PM
I wonder what the second hand value of an officially unlocked iPhone will be? prob a lot less than it is now?

declandio
Nov 9, 2009, 02:37 PM
The instructions tell you to insert a new carriers sim card and then connect to iTunes. Easy enough.... but

Anyone have any idea if that means you can't swap sim's on-the-go? If you have 2 sims on different networks, will you always have to re-connect to iTunes after you swap them around?

OllyW
Nov 9, 2009, 02:40 PM
Good news, but I'd rather it was around 15 less.

It is if you've got a contract. ;)

JordanNZ
Nov 9, 2009, 02:56 PM
The instructions tell you to insert a new carriers sim card and then connect to iTunes. Easy enough.... but

Anyone have any idea if that means you can't swap sim's on-the-go? If you have 2 sims on different networks, will you always have to re-connect to iTunes after you swap them around?

Once it's unlocked, you don't have to do anything again... Mine is factory unlocked, and worked fine swapping sims when I traveled.

Macjames
Nov 9, 2009, 03:09 PM
Awesome sent my form. I'll be sticking with o2 though as i have had no issues with them.

declandio
Nov 9, 2009, 03:12 PM
Once it's unlocked, you don't have to do anything again... Mine is factory unlocked, and worked fine swapping sims when I traveled.

Cool, thanks. Reason I asked is that there was talk on another thread that the little process they make you go through in iTunes enables the phone to work with a new sim, but isn't really a proper 'unlock' as the name might suggest... i.e if you stick a Vodafone sim in after unlocking from O2, it will just work on Vodafone (and maybe O2 still).

Cheers....

markm49uk
Nov 9, 2009, 03:16 PM
Will be sorting mine asap.....

ukcolinr
Nov 9, 2009, 03:17 PM
Just submitted my form to unlock :)

Means I'll be able to put my T-Mobile USA Sim when I go away with work :) I just wish it was possible to use data on a Prepaid plan in the US. I dont think any networks offer this :( Oh well... one step at a time! :D

segers909
Nov 9, 2009, 03:24 PM
Will they check if the phone number has been used for the past year? Or is it allright to just buy a o2 sim on ebay and use that phone number?

ukcolinr
Nov 9, 2009, 04:12 PM
Will they check if the phone number has been used for the past year? Or is it allright to just buy a o2 sim on ebay and use that phone number?

Do you mean you have on old iPhone that is no longer connected? I'd imagine you'd use the o2 phone number that was associated with the hand set. You have to provide another contact number and email so if they have any queries I assume they'll contact you. The condition is if Pay Monthly they can unlock at any time (does not say in contract) or Pay as you Go 12 months after purchase. I assume you'll fit into one of those so you should be fine?

Or have I misunderstood you?

GrayUK
Nov 9, 2009, 04:13 PM
Just requested the Unlock

It will be great now to use my iphone when i travel to Greece and can use the local sim, plus now i have the chance to use any UK sim i choose to.

well done o2, right before my contract ends :)

will take upto 14 days to unlock, heres the message when you send your mobile and address details

form submitted successfully
Thank you. Your request has been sent to our customer service team and we'll get back to you by email in the next 28 days with details of what you need to do next.

If you've asked for your iPhone to be unlocked, we'll text you in the next 14 days.

Bye Bye Baby
Nov 9, 2009, 04:22 PM
Just sent off the form. Now I can use my iphone outside UK when I travel.

I have had no real issues with O2 asides from the fact that the phone was locked. I do lots of travel and need to be bale to put in other SIMs. Now I can.

braviojk
Nov 9, 2009, 04:44 PM
Well, I bought my 3GS from O2, but I've since jailbroken and unlocked my phone. Also, I no longer have my sim card or my number (nor do I have the means to buy another O2 sim card, I live in Brazil)... The thing is, for O2 to unlock your iPhone, you are asked to fill in your number (O2)... What can I do?

Any help would be appreciated...

Alan

ukcolinr
Nov 9, 2009, 04:50 PM
Was it Pay as you Go or Pay Monthly? If Pay as you Go you have to wait 12 months from purchase anyway.... If Pay Monthly surely you must still be paying the monthly fee's to o2? Or were you able to get out of your contract?

I would imagine your best bet would be to use your old o2 phone number, but seeing as this is so new I don't know... Anyone else have any better suggestions???

Bevz
Nov 9, 2009, 04:54 PM
Finally...! Well done O2. I'm about to fill out my form now... Happy Days :)

Littleman
Nov 9, 2009, 05:03 PM
form filled in. thank you o2.

no need for my jailbreak now.
:)

Rocketman
Nov 9, 2009, 06:07 PM
It seems the main reason people want to unlock is to have low cost travel usage. Not to "avoid a carrier". Further they wish they could have the near unlimited data usage when they travel.

It seems to me some sort of carrier treaty is the way to go to solve this so folks can use data wherever they are and the purveyor of that data gets that day's revenues.

This has to be a pain for the folks in Europe who travel to several countries a month on business.

Here in the states, we travel farther than you do but are in the same country the whole time.

Rocketman

sananda
Nov 9, 2009, 06:14 PM
It seems the main reason people want to unlock is to have low cost travel usage. Not to "avoid a carrier". Further they wish they could have the near unlimited data usage when they travel.

That's certainly my reason.

I recently went to Switzerland and unlocked my iPhone with ultrasn0w so I could use a Swisscom SIM card.

The Swisscom SIM cost me 12 and included enough credit to cover all my data usage (68MB) which would have cost me 204 if I had kept my o2 SIM in.

I just would like to able to do this. So I'm a bit cheesed off I can't officially unlock my Pay and Go iPhone until I've had it for 12 months. I mainly have a Pay and Go iPhone so that I can get the new model as and when it comes out on the 12 month cycle. So by the time I can officially unlock it, I will have a new one.

Feek
Nov 9, 2009, 06:15 PM
This is really good news, I have poor O2 signal here (in fact all carriers are weak here) but I have a Vodafone femtocell through work so it'll be really tempting to move to Vodafone once my contract ends and finally get a decent signal at home.

OllyW
Nov 9, 2009, 06:20 PM
I mainly have a Pay and Go iPhone so that I can get the new model as and when it comes out on the 12 month cycle. So by the time I can officially unlock it, I will have a new one.

At least you should get a bit more for it on eBay if it's officially unlocked.

appleguru1
Nov 9, 2009, 06:44 PM
It is absolutely moronic that we don't have this in the US and the rest of the world yet.. Fortunately there is the dev team, but there is no good reason (besides at&t greed) to not allow iPhone customers the ability to unlock their phones. If I want to sell my iPhone to a T-Mobile customer or someone in another country, there shouldn't be anything to stop me, provided I fulfill my original contract.

sananda
Nov 9, 2009, 06:46 PM
At least you should get a bit more for it on eBay if it's officially unlocked.

Yeah, that's true!

matthewHUB
Nov 9, 2009, 07:55 PM
unlocking old iphones??

so will they unlock the iphone 2G which is sitting around collecting dust since i upgraded to the 3GS? how do you go about doing that? just tell them it's your "active phone" or what?

Komiksulo
Nov 9, 2009, 08:43 PM
Now that we have competition in Canada, we should be able to officially pay off any remaining subsidy and unlock our iPhones as well.

Should, yes... but will we?

Willis
Nov 9, 2009, 10:16 PM
This is fantastic.

Just requested to unlock my iPhone. Contract is up in January anyway, but this allows me to use Orange Wednesdays in the UK without needing another phone. I can just change the sim for when I need it. Bonus

Not to mention, it means I can sell my iPhone to my brother when I change phones which is good for him, as he's on Vodafone

Becordial
Nov 10, 2009, 01:43 AM
Cool, thanks. Reason I asked is that there was talk on another thread that the little process they make you go through in iTunes enables the phone to work with a new sim, but isn't really a proper 'unlock' as the name might suggest... i.e if you stick a Vodafone sim in after unlocking from O2, it will just work on Vodafone (and maybe O2 still).

Cheers....

Totally backup the comments from JordanNZ as well. I did an official unlock with an Australian carrier (AUD150 in my case) and since the unlock command came through iTunes to the phone, I've been able throw all kinds of sim kinds into with no need to reconnect.

You'll love it. An unlocked iPhone is the only way to go!

El Capitano
Nov 10, 2009, 01:48 AM
Requiring 12 months of PAYG sucks, given that you could have not topped up at all during that time so O2's income would be the same.

If I could buy a 3GS at unit-only price, have PAYG voice and a 15/month 3G data plan from one of the many UK suppliers doing it, then you'd be talking. But I'm not buying an iPhone then waiting a year to be able to do it.

theGAPkid
Nov 10, 2009, 03:12 AM
Ok. I have a question. Vaguely relevant :p. I have been in talks with a friend whereby we swap our phones. She wants the iPhone, and Ive been kind of wanting a go on the Blackberry. Problem was she had a Vodafone SIM. I know I can put my Sim card in the Blackberry as long as I ring up o2 beforehand and say that I want the apn? changed to Blackberry (or so Ive read)

For her however, would she need to change the apn to anything in particular? ie, the data package from Blackberry to something else? Thanks.

carlosbutler
Nov 10, 2009, 04:08 AM
WOOOO this should be a legal requirement for ALL providers on all phones, after the end of the contract to unlock it for FREE. a few european countries have it as a legal requirement, and its excellent (for us of course:p)

NightFox
Nov 10, 2009, 04:09 AM
Got really happy about this as I'm a pay monthly customer, but then I remembered that I bought my 3GS on PAYG and continued to use the contract SIM from my old 3G in it. So I guess that even though I'm a contract customer, my phone will be treated as a PAYG? Only one way to find out I guess... :rolleyes:

NightFox
Nov 10, 2009, 04:15 AM
Just thought - is this likely to also unlock tethering with a 3rd party SIM? e.g. if I stick a T-Mobile SIM in my phone, will I be able to tether to my laptop without any hacks?

t0mat0
Nov 10, 2009, 04:17 AM
Requiring 12 months of PAYG sucks, given that you could have not topped up at all during that time so O2's income would be the same.

If I could buy a 3GS at unit-only price, have PAYG voice and a 15/month 3G data plan from one of the many UK suppliers doing it, then you'd be talking. But I'm not buying an iPhone then waiting a year to be able to do it.

Definitely agree - why the wait? It's not like PAYG customers are obligated to top up within that time. Maybe if there's a decent change to T&C you can use that to justify demanding them to unlock the phone.
Was the PAYG really subsidised that much? Or is O2 being an Rse?

Pring
Nov 10, 2009, 04:53 AM
Submitted my form yesterday afternoon and got a reply from O2 last night saying that they weren't unlocking iPhones...

I guess someone forgot to tell the outsourced staff about this!

psonice
Nov 10, 2009, 08:29 AM
What happens to those of us who got an O2 iphone in the good old pre-3g days and "forgot" to activate it, instead "accidentally" unlocking it unofficially?

I've been using mine on orange since I got it, but I'd rather have it officially unlocked (especially as I might need to sell it soon).

I'm tempted to fill in the form with a bunch of fake details, and see what happens. Any possible downside to doing that?

arkitect
Nov 10, 2009, 08:31 AM
I'm tempted to fill in the form with a bunch of fake details, and see what happens. Any possible downside to doing that?
Well if you don't have an O2 phone number it is not going to work. ;)

steve-p
Nov 10, 2009, 08:32 AM
Does the form ask for the IMEI, or just the phone number? The reason I ask is that I sold my contract 3G and replaced it with a PAYG 3GS which I just put my monthly SIM into. I would like to unlock the 3GS, but I'm wondering how the whole thing works. I don't want to fill out the form only for them to unlock the 3G that I don't own anymore. Anyone who has had a replacement iPhone under warranty would have the same issues. How does this actually work in terms of tying the SIM and/or number to the physical phone to be unlocked?

Edit: never mind, I see it does ask for IMEI so I filled out the form anyway. We'll see if they will in fact unlock a PAYG phone being used with a contract SIM that's only a few months old :)

theGAPkid
Nov 10, 2009, 08:40 AM
it asks for IMEI. I am in the same position. I replaced my iPhone under warranty a couple of weeks back. So obviously the details o2 have of the original IMEI (if they took it down) would not correspond to the one I put in today.

daneoni
Nov 10, 2009, 10:47 AM
Filled the form but i seem to have been denied. Bought the phone PAYG but never used the PAYG sim and have been using my 2yr+ old Simplicity SIM. Meh...i'll just use the alternative method when i'm ready to dump it, im unlikely to be using an iPhone in 6 months anyway

RedTomato
Nov 10, 2009, 11:11 AM
Just thought - is this likely to also unlock tethering with a 3rd party SIM? e.g. if I stick a T-Mobile SIM in my phone, will I be able to tether to my laptop without any hacks?

That's VERY interesting.

I have a 2G iPhone which I bought second hand a few months ago. I put a free o2 sim in it and have been happily using it for calls / texts / data ever since. I'll get the unlocking process started forthwith.

Tethering would be enough to get me to jump. Probably to T-Mobile.

tomjleeds
Nov 10, 2009, 03:21 PM
This is fantastic.

Just requested to unlock my iPhone. Contract is up in January anyway, but this allows me to use Orange Wednesdays in the UK without needing another phone. I can just change the sim for when I need it. Bonus

Not to mention, it means I can sell my iPhone to my brother when I change phones which is good for him, as he's on Vodafone

Pro-tip: get an Orange SIM, save the number in your phone as Orange, forward text, ching ching ;)

KPJLK
Nov 10, 2009, 05:02 PM
o2 seem intent on driving me mad. I just spent hours looking into other options (jailbreaking, buying from Italy etc) because I was told TODAY by a customer services rep that o2 categorically do not, and will never unlock iPhones. . . then I see this :rolleyes:

MattZani
Nov 10, 2009, 05:51 PM
I Have an iPhone contract i got with my 3G.

Sold my 3G to get the 3G S on PayGo

I Guess i wont be able to unlock my 3G S?

OllyW
Nov 10, 2009, 05:56 PM
I Have an iPhone contract i got with my 3G.

Sold my 3G to get the 3G S on PayGo

I Guess i wont be able to unlock my 3G S?

You guess is correct. (Not until you've had it for 12 months anyway).

Ori
Nov 11, 2009, 05:02 AM
Well I ported over to vodafone last week. I tried to use the online form but obviously now it doesn't work. Poor very poor as when I called o2 I was still told they don't unlock them. Finally someone said they need to adjust something on their system. Will take 24 hours but I'm not holding my breath.

jonnykanzen
Nov 11, 2009, 06:23 AM
This is for people who purchased the 3GS outright to replace their 3G.

K here is my story on this yesterday i found out you can pay to unlock your iphone (this is what i though) but they say you need to have the handset for a minimum of 12 months before hand i asked why they said its in the T&Cs so i went ok so i looked at the T&Cs guess what its not there.

Now trade and standards legal team will be getting involved in this matter due to the fact they still dispute the T&Cs for the iphone they say its not the right one lmao yeah right but unfortunately there legally bound by the T&Cs that i got when i purchased my iphone so basically as it does not specify that you must be with them for any period of time in any way, now this is a fault on there part as this is what a agent said we never thought the iphone would be untethered so they never put it in Neutral em fail so this is to every one wanting there iphone unlocked your in your rights to do so due to a there arrogance.

you can contact your local trading standards office to get more info on this as they say this is ridiculous.

Please note there are two versions of T&Cs for pay as you go the normal pay as you go phones and the iPhone Pay as you go T&Cs as the iphone is not like any other hand set it had its own T&Cs this is where they made the mistake.

capoeirista
Nov 11, 2009, 08:04 AM
I might well go ahead and do this. I'm probably going to stay with O2 when my contract runs out (looking at Orange's current data allowances:rolleyes:), but at least this way I can pass my phone onto someone else...

thedoctor
Nov 11, 2009, 08:44 AM

I got a 3GS on the day it came out and went for PAYG and am still using the original 10 top-up .. so no real income for O2 since then ... I'm based in the East Midlands and have had no real issue with 3G access, so I'm happy(ish) to wait until next July to be able to unlock it.

Well the O2 PAYG "unlimited" data plan is actually quite cheap at 10/month and includes free Wifi from BTOpenZone and The Cloud (so that's 120 out of the 440 I paid) ... so it compares very well against options from T-Mobile, 3, Vodafone etc. I'm not a big fan of O2 but my experience has been really okay over the last 5 months.

Ori
Nov 14, 2009, 04:36 AM
Well, after lots of fun with O2 trying to get the unlock form to work for me (wouldn't as I had left o2 the previous week), I filled in the form and haven't received any confirmation text or anything. Has anyone else had no response?

sarabella
Nov 14, 2009, 04:51 AM
Well, after lots of fun with O2 trying to get the unlock form to work for me (wouldn't as I had left o2 the previous week), I filled in the form and haven't received any confirmation text or anything. Has anyone else had no response?

I completed the form on Tuesday and received a text message yesterday stating that mine had been unlocked.

yetanotherdave
Nov 14, 2009, 05:03 AM
I completed the form on Tuesday and received a text message yesterday stating that mine had been unlocked.

*sigh* that's two people who submitted after I did, and one before, and who have received the unlock, (i did it about 10:30pm on the 9th and got the successful message). Have resubmitted. I'm only jailbroken for the unlock and would really like my iPhone to stop being sluggish.

longdogs
Nov 14, 2009, 05:55 AM
*sigh* that's two people who submitted after I did, and one before, and who have received the unlock, (i did it about 10:30pm on the 9th and got the successful message).

I submitted unlock requests for 3 different iPhones at about 6 pm on the 9th, and I haven't heard anything about any of them.

GrayUK
Nov 14, 2009, 01:17 PM
Hi

Just an update if anyone is still waiting for a text from o2, i posted the form on the 9th november, got set the text yesterday (13th) and just connected to itunes with a Greek sim card and itunes unlocked the phone straightaway.

Screen capture below of the message in itunes :D

Gray

Ori
Nov 15, 2009, 06:42 AM

Nice! Did you get a text confirming your request? I have had nothing. I emailed O2 and they have told me that they have received the form and I will get a message from O2 telling me when my phone has been unlocked. We shall see though?

Anyone with a jailbreak unlock? I presume you restored the iphone firmware? I also presume I will need the IPCC file for Vodafone or just enter the details manually?

Transporteur
Nov 15, 2009, 07:40 AM
Can't I go into the O2 store and tell them to unlock my phone?

I purchased a 3GS back in october in the Apple Store (Pay and Go) and tried to fill out the form on the O2 site, but it seems not to work.

I haven't done another top up since I purchased it and unfortunately I won't stay in the UK for another 11 month.
Is there another possibility to officially unlock the phone by O2?

XIII
Nov 15, 2009, 06:25 PM
*sigh* that's two people who submitted after I did, and one before, and who have received the unlock, (i did it about 10:30pm on the 9th and got the successful message). Have resubmitted. I'm only jailbroken for the unlock and would really like my iPhone to stop being sluggish.

I'm only jailbroken for the unlock too - but as I understand it I need to have had my PAYG iPhone for 12 months before I can even submit for an unlock? Is that right? Does it matter that I haven't been using the PAYG sim?

Thanks.

ukcolinr
Nov 15, 2009, 06:52 PM
In the case of the above 2 posts I would guess (though it is just that, a guess) that you'd need to at least keep the PAYG account active. I don't know the expiry on o2 PAYG credit but surely could just top a few times over the year to keep the account active, then use that credit to pay for the unlock at the end of the 12 months (not ideal I realise)

healeydave
Nov 16, 2009, 09:30 AM
Whoop, just got a text from o2 saying my phone is unlocked!!!

ukcolinr
Nov 17, 2009, 03:35 AM
I hate waiting for this text from o2. I'm so impatient haha

ramases
Nov 17, 2009, 09:57 AM
Got my txt from O2 "your iphone is now unlocked."

TBi
Nov 17, 2009, 10:00 AM

Jailbreaking doesn't make your phone sluggish. It doesn't actually do anything except unlock potential in the phone. You can of course install programs which slow down the phone but that's your choice.

yetanotherdave
Nov 17, 2009, 12:10 PM
Jailbreaking doesn't make your phone sluggish. It doesn't actually do anything except unlock potential in the phone. You can of course install programs which slow down the phone but that's your choice.

But it is hassle, holding off on updates while waiting for the latest release, having to keep up with basebands and signature files, wondering if changes are the cause of the odd behaviour you're having or not, having to retore instead of just updating firmware.

As I don't particulary want any of the jailbreaking features, I would prefer to just ignore the whole thing :) It's just not for me since the app store. Before the app store, in firmare 1.x, absolutely I was jailbroken and it was amazing. now it's just themes, and work arounds to things that aren't an issue for me anyway.

Got my txt from O2 "your iphone is now unlocked."

When did you fill out the form?

TBi
Nov 18, 2009, 10:33 AM
But it is hassle, holding off on updates while waiting for the latest release, having to keep up with basebands and signature files, wondering if changes are the cause of the odd behaviour you're having or not, having to retore instead of just updating firmware.

That's fine, those are all issues you'll have running a jailbroken phone. Something you live with for the extra freedom. But you can't say it makes your phone sluggish.

yetanotherdave
Nov 18, 2009, 11:22 AM
That's fine, those are all issues you'll have running a jailbroken phone. Something you live with for the extra freedom. But you can't say it makes your phone sluggish.

Why does it bother you that I don't like the performance of my phone while jailbroken? It IS slower and buggier than before. Sorry.

Ori
Nov 18, 2009, 11:48 AM
Why does it bother you that I don't like the performance of my phone while jailbroken? It IS slower and buggier than before. Sorry.

I agree. I jailbroke my 3GS for the first time as I moved network. The phone is 100% slower and 100% more buggy! The phone app itself crashes.
Its a price I am willing to pay until I get that text from O2. It has been 5 days and still nothing. I really hope they send me that magic text telling me my phone is unlocked. I can then restore it to proper firmware. Any issues after that and I go to Apple to sort out.

TBi
Nov 18, 2009, 11:49 AM

Ok your first post said it slowed down, then the second post you didn't mention this slow down.

I'm bothered because there is no way jailbreaking can actually slow down your phone. There is nothing extra running on a jailbroken phone. The only difference is that it is open to allow you to install more apps.

Installing the extras you are allowed install through a jailbroken phone CAN slow down your phone but without these it is impossible for the phone to run slower.

Any slowdown you experience must be a placebo effect. Unless you can prove conclusively that jailbreaking itself can slowdown a phone in any way then this is just FUD.

I agree. I jailbroke my 3GS for the first time as I moved network. The phone is 100% slower and 100% more buggy! The phone app itself crashes.
Its a price I am willing to pay until I get that text from O2. It has been 5 days and still nothing. I really hope they send me that magic text telling me my phone is unlocked. I can then restore it to proper firmware. Any issues after that and I go to Apple to sort out.

I've had my 3GS stock and JB'd. I never noticed any performance difference, stability was the same too. The only time JB'ing affected stability is when i installed applications which add functionality using unpublished API's. Which will always cause trouble but not caused by jailbreaking itself.

yetanotherdave
Nov 18, 2009, 12:07 PM
Ok your first post said it slowed down, then the second post you didn't mention this slow down.

I'm bothered because there is no way jailbreaking can actually slow down your phone. There is nothing extra running on a jailbroken phone. The only difference is that it is open to allow you to install more apps.

Installing the extras you are allowed install through a jailbroken phone CAN slow down your phone but without these it is impossible for the phone to run slower.

Any slowdown you experience must be a placebo effect. Unless you can prove conclusively that jailbreaking itself can slowdown a phone in any way then this is just FUD.

I've had my 3GS stock and JB'd. I never noticed any performance difference, stability was the same too. The only time JB'ing affected stability is when i installed applications which add functionality using unpublished API's. Which will always cause trouble but not caused by jailbreaking itself.

Good for you, your experience is different to mine, can we get back on topic now?

It'd be interesting if people who have had their unlock could post when they got the unlock, and when they submitted the form?

Ori
Nov 21, 2009, 08:21 AM
Well, I got tired of waiting and did a restore on my phone and got a lovely message saying congrats my phone is unlocked.
8 hours later I got a text from o2 saying my phone is unlocked!!
Anyway. Now I no longer use a jailbroken phone on my vodafone contract and push is working again!!! Better than ever. Maybe down to vodafones better network or maybe apple have just improved their push.

Glad to be rid of o2.

Ori
Nov 21, 2009, 08:23 AM
Good for you, your experience is different to mine, can we get back on topic now?

It'd be interesting if people who have had their unlock could post when they got the unlock, and when they submitted the form?

Submitted on the 12th and was unlocked on the 20th.

JeromeOD
Nov 21, 2009, 08:45 AM
I got mine unlocked - woo - so can any americans recommend a PAYG sim that i can get for my christmas trip to america?

Ori
Nov 22, 2009, 09:08 AM
Well, After official unlock rather than jailbreak, I can confirm that battery life is so much better. Phone hasn't crashed like it did with JB and it just runs smoother!

My other phone I tried to get o2 to unlock I got a text saying they cannot unlock it. I don't understand why.

retroneo
Nov 22, 2009, 03:58 PM
[QUOTE=declandio;8785837isn't really a proper 'unlock' as the name might suggest... i.e if you stick a Vodafone sim in after unlocking from O2, it will just work on Vodafone (and maybe O2 still).[/QUOTE]

You are incorrect.

The phone will work with any SIM in the world after the iTunes unlock process that O2 issues.

Please edit your post to help prevent this misinformation spreading. It helps no-one.

longdogs
Nov 23, 2009, 03:24 PM
Well it was the full 14 days (my request went in on 9th November), but my unlock text arrived this evening. Just need to ring to get my PAC now. My wife's and daughter's unlocks were put in at the same time and haven't arrived still. I won't get a chance to chase O2 until the end of the week, so hopefully they'll have arrived by then.

ukcolinr
Nov 24, 2009, 12:49 AM
Least that gives a little hope to the rest of us! Mine was the full 14 days yesterday also (though I guess officially seeing as they didn't start unlocking til the 10th 14 days is today, I've got my fingers crossed as I go to New York on Thursday). I called Customer Services yesterday and all they could suggest was resubmit, not very helpful. I managed to find a customer relations number on the website, and thankfully the agent I spoke to was at least able to see that my request was in the system and hadn't been lost, though he had no way of chasing up the request for me. The way they've been doing this seems to have been very sporadic :(

SAFC2403
Nov 24, 2009, 09:37 AM
Got mine (3GS) and the missus(3G) last night. Also got rid of my 1st gen iPhone at CEX last weekend with a software unlock for 236!!Only paid 269 for it!!

CEX are flogging the 1st gen for 350 unlocked at the minute. More than it was first sold for!!:eek:

mappyman
Nov 24, 2009, 04:36 PM
Got the "your iphone is unlocked" text put a T-mobile sim but iTunes doesnt do anything and the unlocks not happening.

Any ideas ?

Update: Problem fixed, I had ultrasnow installed. So I uninstalled it iTunes unlocked it.

Oh yeah I had a 3GS and a 3G, the sim was in the 3GS and the unlock message arrived on it but the 3G
was the one that eventually got unlocked by iTunes.

Bye Bye Baby
Nov 24, 2009, 05:57 PM
I am now officially unlocked.

A big answer to a small prayer

ukcolinr
Nov 25, 2009, 09:43 AM
After talking to a very nice and helpful agent in customer relations my iPhone is finally unlocked :) Was called at 11:50 to tell me, and I just got the official text message :) Hooray! 16 days, but will be able to use it tomorrow when I go to New York :)

j.donald
Nov 27, 2009, 12:13 PM
superb news , should get one then for sure

Badfoot
Nov 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
It is absolutely moronic that we don't have this in the US and the rest of the world yet.. Fortunately there is the dev team, but there is no good reason (besides at&t greed) to not allow iPhone customers the ability to unlock their phones. If I want to sell my iPhone to a T-Mobile customer or someone in another country, there shouldn't be anything to stop me, provided I fulfill my original contract.

Yes it must really suck for you, knowing us in UK are so in front. Never mind, think of all the things you beat us at .... (still trying to think of something)

niewrist
Nov 29, 2009, 08:27 PM
I accept with information:Jailbreaking doesn't make your phone sluggish. It doesn't actually do anything except unlock potential in the phone.

Willis
Dec 2, 2009, 02:25 PM
Well my iPhone is now officially unlocked. Had to borrow a friends sim to do it so took a while to do the activation, but once it was done. Bosh... jobs a goodun.

Now, sell on ebay and use a cheap phone till the next iPhone comes out, or hang onto it... hmm

Graham1
Dec 3, 2009, 03:03 AM
My iPhone 3G is now unlocked from O2 :)

My bought apps keep closing on start-up :confused:

Standard apps are OK though. Anyone else had the same problem? I will restore the phone again but set it up as a new phone and see what happens, but I thought I'd ask just ask first in case anyone else had experienced this.

Bye Bye Baby
Dec 3, 2009, 04:24 AM
After unlock I did a full restore. Much better than just an unlock.

Bungle73
Dec 3, 2009, 07:58 AM
My iPhone 3G is now unlocked from O2 :)

My bought apps keep closing on start-up :confused:

Standard apps are OK though. Anyone else had the same problem? I will restore the phone again but set it up as a new phone and see what happens, but I thought I'd ask just ask first in case anyone else had experienced this.

I just had my 2G iPhone unlocked and found my apps wouldn't open when I restored from a backup. I set up as a new phone and then they all worked.

Graham1
Dec 3, 2009, 09:43 AM
Excellent. I thought that might be the case, I'll see if I can get time to do that tonight. ;)

istarfly3r
Dec 3, 2009, 09:58 AM
My friend is on a pay montly contract with O2. He gave me his old 2G since he got a new 3GS when renewing his contract..

If i want to unlocked the phone, should i ask my friend to do it or should i do it myself.. I am now using a PAYG on the 2G now.. I wanted to unlock it so i can use other sim when i travel abroad..

Should i fill in the form in the O2 website to unlock it??

Any help will be grateful. Thx

Bungle73
Dec 3, 2009, 11:43 AM
My friend is on a pay montly contract with O2. He gave me his old 2G since he got a new 3GS when renewing his contract..

If i want to unlocked the phone, should i ask my friend to do it or should i do it myself.. I am now using a PAYG on the 2G now.. I wanted to unlock it so i can use other sim when i travel abroad..

Should i fill in the form in the O2 website to unlock it??

Any help will be grateful. Thx
When you fill in the unlocking form on the O2 website if you enter a PAYG SIM phone number you have to pay, but if you use a contract SIM number you don't.

j.donald
Dec 4, 2009, 02:15 AM
fantastic news , when is it actually going to happen , any ideas ,

this will completely end the boring and time consuming procedure of jail breaking ,

Bungle73
Dec 4, 2009, 06:31 AM
fantastic news , when is it actually going to happen , any ideas ,

this will completely end the boring and time consuming procedure of jail breaking ,

When is what going to happen? O2 unlocking iPhones? It's happening now.

You'll still need to jailbreak, if you want to, though.