Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

153809-shazam_encore_1.jpg

153809-shazam_encore_2.jpg

Shazam today announced the introduction of Shazam Encore [App Store, $4.99], a new paid version of the popular iPhone application that allows users to tag and automatically identify songs simply using the device's built-in microphone. Shazam Encore offers a number of enhancements and new features over the original application, which was one of the early App Store success stories and was featured in an iPhone commercial.
Shazam Encore is filled with new functionality, including:

- Improved speed performance: making it even quicker for users to tag tracks and learn more about their music.
- Music recommendations: users can discover other music similar to the track that's been tagged to enhance their music collection and knowledge.
- Find what's hot and popular: Shazam music charts generated by millions of other Shazamers can be accessed to help users keep up to date with the new tracks and players in the music scene.
- Search music: easily find music by artist, album or track from over 8 million songs.
- Drive and Tag: Shazam automatically enters into car mode when the iPhone is placed in an in-car dock to make it simple to discover what's playing on the radio even when driving.
Shazam notes that it will continue to offer full support for the free version of Shazam [App Store], for existing users only. New users of the free application will be limited to only five Tags per month.

Article Link: Shazam Introduces 'Shazam Encore' Paid Application

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Well, I'm glad I have the free unlimited one. I imagine a lot of folks around here do too.

So for me, this doesn't matter one bit.

But I used to tell new iPhone owners to get Shazam. I'm not sure what I'll suggest now. I guess I'll tell them to get the free one. I honestly only use it about 5 times a month myself.

leandromp

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2008
the free version was MUCH BETTER when it first came out now i don't even use it. the design has gone downhill.

what make them think i will pay 5 dollars for this app?
No, thanks!

walnuts

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
You know, its a great app- I probably would have paid 5 bucks, and even 5 bucks if I knew otherwise I would only have 5 tags per month. I would have also felt really screwed over though had they started limiting my use now- I would say they probably did the right thing all around. Its no fun to be charged, and its really annoying to be charged for a currently free service, but for new customers they do have a right to charge, and I think its worth the money.

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
I just recommended Shazam to my aunt yesterday. I guess she's happy that she also got the "unlimited" free version just in time.

So am I, though I guess I would pay 5 bucks for this awesome app! Though I haven't used it more than 3 times a month so far.

disdat

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2005
New England USA
Don't they make money whenever anyone uses their link to buy the song? Maybe it's not enough $$

I am glad I have the free version already. I don't think I would pay $5 for it, although it is a very clever app!

eff pc

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
this used to be the first app i recommended to anyone considering an iphone but now that it costs money, not any more. Even though I'm happy with AT&T, Verizon has a service similar for free (even tho it doesn't work at good). Rip off that they are going to start charging. This is just the start of the "new" app store. No more free apps are going to survive.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
I got Shazam when it was still free and unlimited and read the comments saying that the new version of the free Shazam (version 1.7) crashes. I opened up my Shazam and pressed the i on the top left corner and found out I have version 1.7. It works fine for me though and I just tagged around 6 songs without any limit. I wonder how they know who downloaded the app when it was still free?

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
No more free apps are going to survive.

In my opinion this is good and had to happen sometime. You can't run a business off free apps (unless you are making a ton with advertising). I think after the newness of the app store wore off, devs are now seeing the time invested and wanting (rightfully so) to get paid for their work. I don't know many people who work their job for free.

Ding.Dong

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Los Angeles
I'm sure it takes a lot of manpower and resources to keep this service running, so it makes sense that they need to start charging for it. I would have no problem paying five dollars for this app if I didn't already have it.

the free version was MUCH BETTER when it first came out now i don't even use it. the design has gone downhill.

what make them think i will pay 5 dollars for this app?
No, thanks!

What's different about it? I've had it since it first came out and I don't see any changes other than the ads they added a while back.

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004
What does "existing" users mean?

When they say that the free Shazam app will remain unrestricted for existing users, do they mean users who had purchased the app before a certain date on iTunes/iTunes app?

Before a certain version number of the app? (If this is the case, should we opt out of future updates, or is there a check built in that looks for the iTunes account associated with the download?)

Or are they referring to existing users of the Shazam.com registration at their site?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Rip off that they are going to start charging. This is just the start of the "new" app store. No more free apps are going to survive.

A couple of questions:

1. Did the development of the app cost them money?

2. Do the servers on the back-end cost them money?

3. (The big one.) Do they make enough money through the free version to pay for the above?

And in general... How would you recommend helping free apps to survive? What should be done to prevent the “new” app store where some companies charge a price?

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
This is L-A-M-E!!!

So what exactly does this app offer that I don't already have with Genius in the iPod app, and looking things up in the iTunes app?

Booo Shazam! :rolleyes:

Good thing I already have had the free one.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
Hah - what a crock.

For some apps, I'm happy to pay a bit more for more functionality. Take Sportacular, for example... i really appreciate the better alerts in the Pro version so I paid a couple bucks extra for it. But I really get no value out of this new non-free Shazam app. All I want to do is figure out a song's title when it comes on the radio. It does it just fine. Crippling the current version is REALLY lame. Glad I already have it.

YakkerGuy

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2003
Shazam is good but works only 50% of the time. Worth $5/pop? I think not.

Shazam was a fantastic app when I first got my iPhone. Finally I could identify obscure songs I was hearing from a corporate mix CD, Satellite Radio feed or other media inside a department store or walking around an outdoor mall-- where often there is no playlist for anyone to refer to. Tagging odd tracks from the radio on AM or FM too-- brilliant idea!

Or so I thought. I've found that more than 50% of the time Shazam's catalogue still isn't big and diverse enough to identify music I don't know the titles too. Maybe I listen to REALLY obscure music but I've had far too many old tunes as well as very recent ones come up as "unrecognized". And of course by then I'd rather have just used a sound recording app in the first place.

Classical music is also a big laugh with Shazam. I understand that it's still difficult to tell apart 25 different recordings of Beethoven's 9th Symphony but suppose I were listening to Gyorgy Ligeti or Sandor Veress or John Adams? My point is that those classical artists are so specific and unmistakable that it shouldn't be so hard for Shazam to be able to identify them. Sometimes I just want to know what CD I need to buy to get a rendition I already know!

So reading this article I can't help but laugh. You bet they'd better keep supporting the free version of Shazam that I already have installed. Why they are making everyone else pay $5.00 for an identifier/tagging database that will be no better than it was free is beyond me.

This is a slow app that is prone to crashing that only identifies songs *that you haven't heard of before* barely 50% of the time. I keep it around because it is the best thing out there right now.

But unless they catalogue MANY more song clips after buying more server space from the fees they are now charging, this is not worth $5.00 a pop.

Who cares what is "hot right now" when what you desperately want to know is what song is playing before the automated robot DJ simply plays the next track without so much as a mention of the title, album or artist name.

DrWeevil

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Midomi ???

How come nobody has mentioned MIDOMI??? That prog kicks ass. In the beginning it was a little harder to use than shazaam; but then as of their latest version, IT KICKS SHAZAAM's ASS. Better and faster in recognition; better storing of history. Just better all around.

Shazaam just got the damn iPhone ad so got more popular. But everybody knows that the iStore for getting iApps is highly iBiased and iBlows iBallz and makes it iMpossible to find any real iAlternatives.

GET MIDOMI

MacJoe

Jul 3, 2003
North Carolina
They're getting my money!

This company WILL be getting my money for this update. Devs, *MY* personal iPhone is NOT YOUR personal advertising platform! Some time ago, I stopped using apps that contain ads and switched to Midomi. It's worked fine for me, but now I'll use this version of Shazam too. The company with ad-free apps will get my money AND the the privilege of being used on my iPhone AND my recommendations to other iPhone users. The other companies products...well...won't. It's just that simple.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
How come nobody has mentioned MIDOMI??? That prog kicks ass. In the beginning it was a little harder to use than shazaam; but then as of their latest version, IT KICKS SHAZAAM's ASS. Better and faster in recognition; better storing of history. Just better all around.

Shazaam just got the damn iPhone ad so got more popular. But everybody knows that the iStore for getting iApps is highly iBiased and iBlows iBallz and makes it iMpossible to find any real iAlternatives.

GET MIDOMI

Maybe no one has mentioned Midomi because this is a thread about Shazam...

chimerical

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2004

I'll give it another try, but let me tell you, I used Shazam and Midomi side by side from 2008 to mid-2009, and Shazam identified more songs than Midomi. This is why some of us kept coming back to Shazam.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.