PDA

View Full Version : Shazam Introduces 'Shazam Encore' Paid Application

MacRumors
Nov 9, 2009, 02:39 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/09/shazam-introduces-shazam-encore-paid-application/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/11/09/153809-shazam_encore_1.jpg

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/11/09/153809-shazam_encore_2.jpg

Shazam today announced (http://www.shazam.com/music/web/newsdetail.html?nid=NEWS088) the introduction of Shazam Encore [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shazam-encore/id337288863?mt=8), $4.99], a new paid version of the popular iPhone application that allows users to tag and automatically identify songs simply using the device's built-in microphone. Shazam Encore offers a number of enhancements and new features over the original application (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/09/26/shazam-reaches-over-1-5-million-downloads/), which was one of the early App Store success stories and was featured (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/11/10/new-iphone-ads-shazam-and-loopt/) in an iPhone commercial.Shazam Encore is filled with new functionality, including:

- Improved speed performance: making it even quicker for users to tag tracks and learn more about their music.
- Music recommendations: users can discover other music similar to the track that's been tagged to enhance their music collection and knowledge.
- Find what's hot and popular: Shazam music charts generated by millions of other Shazamers can be accessed to help users keep up to date with the new tracks and players in the music scene.
- Search music: easily find music by artist, album or track from over 8 million songs.
- Drive and Tag: Shazam automatically enters into car mode when the iPhone is placed in an in-car dock to make it simple to discover what's playing on the radio even when driving.Shazam notes that it will continue to offer full support for the free version of Shazam [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/shazam/id284993459?mt=8)], for existing users only. New users of the free application will be limited to only five Tags per month.

Article Link: Shazam Introduces 'Shazam Encore' Paid Application (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/09/shazam-introduces-shazam-encore-paid-application/)

Small White Car
Nov 9, 2009, 02:42 PM
Well, I'm glad I have the free unlimited one. I imagine a lot of folks around here do too.

So for me, this doesn't matter one bit.

But I used to tell new iPhone owners to get Shazam. I'm not sure what I'll suggest now. I guess I'll tell them to get the free one. I honestly only use it about 5 times a month myself.

leandromp
Nov 9, 2009, 02:44 PM
the free version was MUCH BETTER when it first came out now i don't even use it. the design has gone downhill.

what make them think i will pay 5 dollars for this app?
No, thanks!

walnuts
Nov 9, 2009, 03:16 PM
You know, its a great app- I probably would have paid 5 bucks, and even 5 bucks if I knew otherwise I would only have 5 tags per month. I would have also felt really screwed over though had they started limiting my use now- I would say they probably did the right thing all around. Its no fun to be charged, and its really annoying to be charged for a currently free service, but for new customers they do have a right to charge, and I think its worth the money.

H$R
Nov 9, 2009, 03:21 PM
I just recommended Shazam to my aunt yesterday. I guess she's happy that she also got the "unlimited" free version just in time.

So am I, though I guess I would pay 5 bucks for this awesome app! Though I haven't used it more than 3 times a month so far.

disdat
Nov 9, 2009, 03:40 PM
Don't they make money whenever anyone uses their link to buy the song? Maybe it's not enough $$

I am glad I have the free version already. I don't think I would pay $5 for it, although it is a very clever app!

eff pc
Nov 9, 2009, 04:40 PM
this used to be the first app i recommended to anyone considering an iphone but now that it costs money, not any more. Even though I'm happy with AT&T, Verizon has a service similar for free (even tho it doesn't work at good). Rip off that they are going to start charging. This is just the start of the "new" app store. No more free apps are going to survive.

kockgunner
Nov 9, 2009, 04:50 PM
I got Shazam when it was still free and unlimited and read the comments saying that the new version of the free Shazam (version 1.7) crashes. I opened up my Shazam and pressed the i on the top left corner and found out I have version 1.7. It works fine for me though and I just tagged around 6 songs without any limit. I wonder how they know who downloaded the app when it was still free?

nickXedge
Nov 9, 2009, 04:51 PM
Great app, thought I certainly wouldn't pay for it. I've hardly actually used it 10 times since it came out.

stagi
Nov 9, 2009, 04:52 PM
No more free apps are going to survive.

In my opinion this is good and had to happen sometime. You can't run a business off free apps (unless you are making a ton with advertising). I think after the newness of the app store wore off, devs are now seeing the time invested and wanting (rightfully so) to get paid for their work. I don't know many people who work their job for free.

Ding.Dong
Nov 9, 2009, 04:56 PM
I'm sure it takes a lot of manpower and resources to keep this service running, so it makes sense that they need to start charging for it. I would have no problem paying five dollars for this app if I didn't already have it.

the free version was MUCH BETTER when it first came out now i don't even use it. the design has gone downhill.

what make them think i will pay 5 dollars for this app?
No, thanks!

What's different about it? I've had it since it first came out and I don't see any changes other than the ads they added a while back.

chimerical
Nov 9, 2009, 04:58 PM
When they say that the free Shazam app will remain unrestricted for existing users, do they mean users who had purchased the app before a certain date on iTunes/iTunes app?

Before a certain version number of the app? (If this is the case, should we opt out of future updates, or is there a check built in that looks for the iTunes account associated with the download?)

Or are they referring to existing users of the Shazam.com registration at their site?

nagromme
Nov 9, 2009, 05:09 PM
Rip off that they are going to start charging. This is just the start of the "new" app store. No more free apps are going to survive.

A couple of questions:

1. Did the development of the app cost them money?

2. Do the servers on the back-end cost them money?

3. (The big one.) Do they make enough money through the free version to pay for the above?

And in general... How would you recommend helping free apps to survive? What should be done to prevent the ďnewĒ app store where some companies charge a price?

MacFly123
Nov 9, 2009, 05:17 PM
This is L-A-M-E!!!

So what exactly does this app offer that I don't already have with Genius in the iPod app, and looking things up in the iTunes app?

Booo Shazam! :rolleyes:

Good thing I already have had the free one.

spaceballl
Nov 9, 2009, 06:36 PM
Hah - what a crock.

For some apps, I'm happy to pay a bit more for more functionality. Take Sportacular, for example... i really appreciate the better alerts in the Pro version so I paid a couple bucks extra for it. But I really get no value out of this new non-free Shazam app. All I want to do is figure out a song's title when it comes on the radio. It does it just fine. Crippling the current version is REALLY lame. Glad I already have it.

YakkerGuy
Nov 9, 2009, 06:59 PM
Shazam was a fantastic app when I first got my iPhone. Finally I could identify obscure songs I was hearing from a corporate mix CD, Satellite Radio feed or other media inside a department store or walking around an outdoor mall-- where often there is no playlist for anyone to refer to. Tagging odd tracks from the radio on AM or FM too-- brilliant idea!

Or so I thought. I've found that more than 50% of the time Shazam's catalogue still isn't big and diverse enough to identify music I don't know the titles too. Maybe I listen to REALLY obscure music but I've had far too many old tunes as well as very recent ones come up as "unrecognized". And of course by then I'd rather have just used a sound recording app in the first place.

Classical music is also a big laugh with Shazam. I understand that it's still difficult to tell apart 25 different recordings of Beethoven's 9th Symphony but suppose I were listening to Gyorgy Ligeti or Sandor Veress or John Adams? My point is that those classical artists are so specific and unmistakable that it shouldn't be so hard for Shazam to be able to identify them. Sometimes I just want to know what CD I need to buy to get a rendition I already know!

So reading this article I can't help but laugh. You bet they'd better keep supporting the free version of Shazam that I already have installed. Why they are making everyone else pay $5.00 for an identifier/tagging database that will be no better than it was free is beyond me.

This is a slow app that is prone to crashing that only identifies songs *that you haven't heard of before* barely 50% of the time. I keep it around because it is the best thing out there right now.

But unless they catalogue MANY more song clips after buying more server space from the fees they are now charging, this is not worth $5.00 a pop.

Who cares what is "hot right now" when what you desperately want to know is what song is playing before the automated robot DJ simply plays the next track without so much as a mention of the title, album or artist name.

fleshman03
Nov 9, 2009, 06:59 PM
I predict Shazam will not pick up new users. This signals the end of Shazam as a "must have" app.

anjinha
Nov 9, 2009, 07:59 PM
Apparently the new paid Shazam still has ads. Lame.

Drag'nGT
Nov 9, 2009, 08:20 PM
So do we never upgrade our current version of Shazam?

DrWeevil
Nov 9, 2009, 08:24 PM
How come nobody has mentioned MIDOMI??? That prog kicks ass. In the beginning it was a little harder to use than shazaam; but then as of their latest version, IT KICKS SHAZAAM's ASS. Better and faster in recognition; better storing of history. Just better all around.

Shazaam just got the damn iPhone ad so got more popular. But everybody knows that the iStore for getting iApps is highly iBiased and iBlows iBallz and makes it iMpossible to find any real iAlternatives.

GET MIDOMI

MacJoe
Nov 9, 2009, 08:36 PM
This company WILL be getting my money for this update. Devs, *MY* personal iPhone is NOT YOUR personal advertising platform! Some time ago, I stopped using apps that contain ads and switched to Midomi. It's worked fine for me, but now I'll use this version of Shazam too. The company with ad-free apps will get my money AND the the privilege of being used on my iPhone AND my recommendations to other iPhone users. The other companies products...well...won't. It's just that simple.

MacJoe
Nov 9, 2009, 08:41 PM

If this is true, then cancel my previous post. http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon6.gif

anjinha
Nov 9, 2009, 08:48 PM
How come nobody has mentioned MIDOMI??? That prog kicks ass. In the beginning it was a little harder to use than shazaam; but then as of their latest version, IT KICKS SHAZAAM's ASS. Better and faster in recognition; better storing of history. Just better all around.

Shazaam just got the damn iPhone ad so got more popular. But everybody knows that the iStore for getting iApps is highly iBiased and iBlows iBallz and makes it iMpossible to find any real iAlternatives.

GET MIDOMI

Maybe no one has mentioned Midomi because this is a thread about Shazam...

Ding.Dong
Nov 9, 2009, 10:05 PM
I just noticed that version 1.8 has been posted to the app store. Has anyone updated yet?

chimerical
Nov 9, 2009, 10:17 PM

I'll give it another try, but let me tell you, I used Shazam and Midomi side by side from 2008 to mid-2009, and Shazam identified more songs than Midomi. This is why some of us kept coming back to Shazam.

Rychy
Nov 9, 2009, 10:19 PM
I updated to 1.8 and now I get the tag limit.

I use Shazam quite a bit, so I bought the paid version. And yes its got ads, which I'm not very happy about.

fleshman03
Nov 9, 2009, 11:42 PM
So do we never upgrade our current version of Shazam?

You don't have to. It will keep popping up in iTunes though.

Reminds of of this quote from the CEO of Zynga. (Farmvile and Mafia Wars)

I knew that i wanted to control my destiny, so I knew I needed revenues, right, **********, now. Like I needed revenues now. So I funded the company myself but I did every horrible thing in the book to, just to get revenues right away. I mean we gave our users poker chips if they downloaded this zwinky toolbar which was like, I dont know, I downloaded it once and couldn't get rid of it. *laughs* We did anything possible just to just get revenues so that we could grow and be a real businessÖSo control your destiny. So that was a big lesson, controlling your business. So by the time we raised money we were profitable.

Source (http://consumerist.com/5400720/mafia-wars-ceo-brags-about-scamming-users-from-day-one)

Wonder how many people are going to give it poor ratings. I have.

mrpither
Nov 9, 2009, 11:45 PM

craptastic! so anyone know how to block an update??? :mad:

yetanotherdave
Nov 9, 2009, 11:47 PM

I hate it when this happens, we have a choice between having a constant update nag and losing functionality :(

philitup23
Nov 10, 2009, 12:12 AM
I just noticed that version 1.8 has been posted to the app store. Has anyone updated yet?

I got it and I tried shazaming a song and it said "TagLimitReached"....I had the app for a while now...I should have the unlimited version! I dont know whats going on!

Rychy
Nov 10, 2009, 12:18 AM
Well I tried Shazam 1.8 again and sometimes it'll tag the songs and sometimes a SMS like alert pops up "taglimitreached" and it won't tag it. So I don't know what's going on.

iphones4evry1
Nov 10, 2009, 02:10 AM
I definitely like the idea of them compiling statistics of the top-tagged songs from all Shazam users. The "Top Ten" list like iTunes, except of top-tagged Shazam. Definitely cool. And, Apple should have no problem with this because Shazam has links to iTunes, where Apple can sell songs. Shazam is actually helping iTunes to make money. However, I wonder about the "Search music: easily find music by artist, album or track from over 8 million songs." encroaching upon iTunes "dual functionality" territory. For now, it seems innocent, but in the future ... it could become more popular than the iTunes store when searching for music. But hey, as long as they continue to direct sales to iTunes, instead of other marketplaces, it's a win for Apple either way. :)

LoganT
Nov 10, 2009, 03:06 AM
I'm glad I bought Midomi when it was free, because that thing is fast now.

sidewinder
Nov 10, 2009, 03:07 AM
This change has finally prompted me to shell out $2.99 for MusicID (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/musicid-with-lyrics/id320029865?mt=8).

I like it better than Shazam and friends that have it say it is as good as Midomi.

S-

rhett7660
Nov 10, 2009, 03:08 AM
I read about this a few weeks ago. I didn't think it would come this quick.

Disappointed that they went this route, this is one of my favorite apps, even it it didn't get 100% of the music I through at it. But it is one of the apps I use all of the time.

NightFox
Nov 10, 2009, 04:01 AM
Well I just upgraded my free version to 1.8, and I've just tagged about 20 songs to check it and I've had no "tag limit" problems.

YakkerGuy
Nov 10, 2009, 04:21 AM
Well I just upgraded my free version to 1.8, and I've just tagged about 20 songs to check it and I've had no "tag limit" problems.

For previously existing users I believe they are still offering full unlimited tagging and features. It's just the new users who will be limited. Unless you get the paid version. Hope this lasts though. I am not keen on the idea of paying to see "unrecognized song" 50% of the time and getting frequent crashes when I've been getting both for free already.

mavis
Nov 10, 2009, 04:59 AM

It's not free anymore? :confused:

Anyway, having used both Midomi and Shazam since the App Store opened last year, I have to say Midomi is MUCH better these days - faster, better interface, etc. I don't know why anyone would both with Shazam at this point ...

johnnyjibbs
Nov 10, 2009, 05:28 AM
Offering new users a different deal to existing users? Not possible in the current SDK - they must have a special deal with Apple via their Klein Perkins investment.

I have to say Shazam has been a useful app that I've kept coming back to but I must admit it hasn't worked so well recently as it first did, and the design is not that great. Certainly it is not as reliable as it needs to be and I would want it to be 100% reliable (or even 95%) before shelling out on the full version.

EDIT - the paid version still has adverts????!!!!! :eek:

What a con. When you go to the Shazam (free version), there is an "All Applications by Shazam" button which takes you to the paid version. Funny how they've 'forgotton' to put the link to the free version on the paid product page. Lol though, first and only 2 British reviews are both 1 star.

NightFox
Nov 10, 2009, 06:33 AM
For previously existing users I believe they are still offering full unlimited tagging and features. It's just the new users who will be limited. Unless you get the paid version. Hope this lasts though. I am not keen on the idea of paying to see "unrecognized song" 50% of the time and getting frequent crashes when I've been getting both for free already.

Yep, I know this is how it is meant to work, but some existing users were saying that they'd been hitting limits once they'd upgraded to the current version.

MacJoe
Nov 10, 2009, 07:28 AM
And yes its got ads, which I'm not very happy about.

Join me in telling Apple we're fed up with ads in apps, especially in PAID apps!

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Stewie
Nov 10, 2009, 07:56 AM

Is that true? If so that sucks. If I pay for an app I should not be forced to look at ads.

riko
Nov 10, 2009, 07:58 AM
I have had the free app since July so updated to 1.8 today as I should get the unlimited tags. I managed to tag 3 songs then when I re-launched the app I got a pop up stating "$". If I press the tag button I get another pop up saying "Message from Shazam - $". Not happy. I could re-install 1.7 from itunes but I will loose all my tags

graham

yankdog
Nov 10, 2009, 08:27 AM
I already updated to v 1.8 before I saw this thread. wonder what lies in store?

LinMac
Nov 10, 2009, 08:54 AM
I guess I don't mind paying for applications I use a lot, but I've used Shazam maybe 8 times since I installed it. The functionality is neat, but not worth $4.99.

My personal policy is: No ads in my purchased applications.

I will not pay to look at advertisements.

optophobia
Nov 10, 2009, 09:46 AM

I had it ages ago and deleted it, since it wasn't working well.
We now I just reinstalled it. Hopefully its improved since the last time.

Oh and I got it for free too :D

Habakuk
Nov 10, 2009, 11:46 PM

I updated and let it tag seven (just to be sure ;)) popular mainstream music pieces. "New" Shazam "Free"óversion 1.8.0 (111)óseems to work like before (unlimited for existing users) just as described in the Mac Rumors article.

Midomi did the same job with the same results. Additionally it recognizes songs when you sing or hum it. Sometimes :) And it knows some classical music (Shazam fails), have a look at the screenshot (composer/piece of music okay, artist/musician wrong). I've got it when it was free too.

SuperKat
Nov 11, 2009, 08:03 AM
I also updated before I saw this thread, but I just tagged 6 songs in a row w/o a problem.
I hate when good apps go bad.
If Shazam had all the Midomi features I might pay for it, but for now I'll stick with what I have.

Stately
Nov 11, 2009, 04:48 PM
I think I'll stick with the free one, it works just fine. Uhh.. good update though lol.

Chupa Chupa
Nov 11, 2009, 08:02 PM

I use Shazam quite a bit, so I bought the paid version. And yes its got ads, which I'm not very happy about.

I didn't update yet, but when I hit the update info screen it say that I'm essentially grandfathered w/ unlimited tags since I already had the app. I was a littled skeptical - how would it know who's a legacy user and who's new. I'm reading here that some people are still getting unlimited tags but others are not, so what is the story?

DrWeevil
Nov 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
Doh!!! Didn't realize when I started my rant about Midomi (see page 1 of this thread), that Midomi had started charging for their app.

Nonetheless, to the user who said "Don't know why anybody would bother with both," it's cuz i sometimes get a song that's not recognized by Midomi, but it is by Shazaam, or vice-versa.

Cheers

nagromme
Nov 13, 2009, 11:41 AM
I didn't update yet, but when I hit the update info screen it say that I'm essentially grandfathered w/ unlimited tags since I already had the app. I was a littled skeptical - how would it know who's a legacy user and who's new. I'm reading here that some people are still getting unlimited tags but others are not, so what is the story?

In particular... how does it know if (like me) you got a new device (on warranty or whatever)? I havenít tested yet, since 5 tags is more than I normally use, but Iím curious. I hope I havenít lost unlimited daily tagging.

H$R
Nov 15, 2009, 09:52 AM
In particular... how does it know if (like me) you got a new device (on warranty or whatever)? I havenít tested yet, since 5 tags is more than I normally use, but Iím curious. I hope I havenít lost unlimited daily tagging.

My guess is that it checks with your iTunes account. It should know when you first bought the app (before the launch of the new app) and it should still know this if you switch your device with a new one.

SpaceKitty
Nov 17, 2009, 08:10 AM
Ok I finally decided to upgrade and it is limiting me to 5 tags per month.

Don't upgrade. I upgraded on my phone so all I have to do is delete it and then resync the old version back on.

nagromme
Nov 17, 2009, 11:20 PM
Ok I finally decided to upgrade and it is limiting me to 5 tags per month.

Don't upgrade. I upgraded on my phone so all I have to do is delete it and then resync the old version back on.

Month? I thought it was per day! In either case, it sucks if they canít properly tell who had the unlimited version already. (Youíre not jailbroken are you?)

SpaceKitty
Nov 18, 2009, 12:37 AM
Month? I thought it was per day! In either case, it sucks if they canít properly tell who had the unlimited version already. (Youíre not jailbroken are you?)

If you read the first post in this thread, it does say per month.

str1f3
Nov 23, 2009, 08:45 PM
NY Times gives a bit of a knock to Shazaam:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/technology/personaltech/19smart.html

They have this coming for this update. Paid version with ads. The free version I had for a year seems to have been gimped. It strikes me as pure arrogance on their part considering that it's the slowest of the three apps when tested by the Times.

I'm going to start to try Midomi. I'm lucky to have picked up both when they were free. The Times says it's better and there will be further updates coming that will supposedly widen the gap even further.

LinMac
Nov 23, 2009, 10:07 PM
NY Times gives a bit of a knock to Shazaam:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/technology/personaltech/19smart.html

I'm glad to read it. $4.99 is a bit high, to me, for what it does, but ads in a paid application is just too much.

I will not pay for an application with advertisements. No exceptions.