PDA

View Full Version : If you switched within the last 12 months, post here.

Zaty
Jul 29, 2004, 04:43 AM
I've come across so many posts in which someone announced they just made the switch, so I wondered how many people did the same thing in the last 12 months or so. I, btw, switched 6 months ago when I bought my Rev. B 12" PB. I have not regretted this decision at all.

Thanks!

toughboy
Jul 29, 2004, 05:36 AM
I've come across so many posts in which someone announced they just made the switch, so I wondered how many people did the same thing in the last 12 months or so. I, btw, switched 6 months ago when I bought my Rev. 12" PB. I have not regretted this decision at all.

Thanks!

I switched thesedays last year.. I actually dont know if I can be counted as a true switcher because I already had a iPod 2G and 3G.. whatsoever, I bought a 12"PB RevA.. I, too, never ever regreted it..

God bless Apple..

Cuckoo
Jul 29, 2004, 05:51 AM
about 8 months ago, i love my powerbook...... never want back to pc

TreeHugger
Jul 29, 2004, 06:23 AM
I switched two or three weeks ago, and I too love my new Powerbook! I have been wanting a PB eversince the TiBook.... It was a really long wait, but worth it...

EGT
Jul 29, 2004, 06:55 AM
I switched a few months ago and i haven't looked back since. I'm eventually going to sell my windoze desktop and get a proper one :cool:

DJY
Jul 29, 2004, 07:09 AM
5 weeks ago... still counting... and still very much in love with my 17" 1.5GHz Powerbook.

DavidLeblond
Jul 29, 2004, 07:15 AM
My PC died last November. I got an iBook and never looked back.

knicksfan58
Jul 29, 2004, 08:13 AM
i switched

U2Rules!
Jul 29, 2004, 08:26 AM
I switched July 4th, 2004, my own independence day.

~Shard~
Jul 29, 2004, 08:27 AM
I switched last December and have absolutely no regrets. There is nothing I can do on my PC that I can't do better and easier on my Mac. I still have my PC, but I'm just running it as a Win2k3 Enterprise Server right now, and it serves it purpose. I have a 1.25 GHz G4 17" iMac and couldn't be happier! My next computer will be a Mac as well... and the one after that, and the one after that, and... :cool:

kerb
Jul 29, 2004, 08:35 AM
switching next tuesday with a 12" PowerBook

Diatribe
Jul 29, 2004, 08:55 AM
Switched February this year to an iBook. Gave it to my mum in july and went ahead and bought a 12" powerbook(So I guess I switched her too :D). I don't think I could ever go back to windows entirely. I have to work with it once in a while and although it's not bad it just gives me this unpleasant feeling and I am happy once I sit in front of my pb again.

federalists
Jul 29, 2004, 08:56 AM
i switched in may with my 15" al PB. i love it! i'm even convincing the techno-phobe neighbors to switch soon, as well. i'm tired of having to rid their windows machines of virii, etc.

neoelectronaut
Jul 29, 2004, 08:58 AM
Bought a 1Ghz eMac back in November '03. I don't know if you can truely say I switched, because I will still use Windows or Linux for somet thigns, but I at least concede that Apple makes better computers/OSes.

lasuther
Jul 29, 2004, 09:17 AM
Switched Feb 2004 to a 12" iBook 800MHz and will never go back. Since then, I've gotten an iPod mini. I'm planning on getting a 17"PB or 20"iMac (if it's semi-portable) after iLife 05 is out.

darkwing
Jul 29, 2004, 09:23 AM
I probably shouldn't post. I switched slightly over 12 months ago (bought a rev A 17" and then upgraded to a rev C) but I was also a mac user from 89-95 before I switched to PCs for a number of years. Now I'm back.

Now I know what they mean by "once you go Mac you never go back."

Steve

saxman
Jul 29, 2004, 09:27 AM
I bought my first mac two weeks ago. I wouldn't say that I've "switched" but rather added. I am enjoying my new PB. But computers are just tools... how you use them makes the difference and to a lesser degree, how enjoyable the experience is. That's my outlook anyway

KevRC4130
Jul 29, 2004, 09:29 AM
I switched a week from yesterday, with my Rev. C Powerbook 12" w/ Superdrive. It's been great so far. There are some quirks I'm still working out, but so far it's been the best computer I've used.

sandmann41
Jul 29, 2004, 09:40 AM
I switched right around a year ago. I first bought an iMac. Now I have a 12" powerbook.

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 29, 2004, 09:46 AM
Switched on October of last year when my 2gig G5 finally arrived at my local Apple reseller. Since then I have bought an old 23" CD, and then traded it in to upgrade to the new ALU 23".

I finally sold my PC last week, although I hadn't used it since last November. Needless to say I am VERY happy with my mac, and have absolutely no regrets.

powerboy
Jul 29, 2004, 09:47 AM
I switched July 3 and haven't looked back. G5 dual 1.8 - I love it!

Celeron
Jul 29, 2004, 09:53 AM
Switched in March to my rev b. 12'' powerbook.

Xenious
Jul 29, 2004, 10:05 AM
switched, but i'm still waiting on my 2.5 G5.

rueyeet
Jul 29, 2004, 10:49 AM
I probably shouldn't post. I switched slightly over 12 months ago...It's been more than a year, so I probably shouldn't post either, but this thread made me realize it's going to be two years in October. Whoo! :cool:

What's funny too is that it only took those two years to turn me into a dedicated Mac user. I'd even have chalked up three more switchers by now if any of them could actually afford a new computer! (any computer, not just a Mac)

And I'm still using my first Mac and all original hardware, too....that TiBook's going to last me very nicely until the Rev B Powerbook G5's are out someday, and then Mom is getting a new loaner to do her email, 'cause I've already warned her I am NOT supporting another Windows machine.

kasei
Jul 29, 2004, 11:14 AM
I switched in January 2004. I bought a 17" Powerbook and I love it. I have been trying to convert everyone I meet who is looking for a new system. I have convinced 5 people so far to switch to an Apple computer.

nateko
Jul 29, 2004, 11:15 AM
Switched back in March..... Funny that was a little after I had my last computer crash. Coincidence?? I think not! :D

Can't say enough about iLife. I made a simple movie of my daughter's first bath (set to rubber duckie with Ernie) in about 30 minutes without even looking up any instructions. I then posted that along with 2 photo albums onto my .mac site...... another 30 minutes!! Yeah I know there are better/more sophisticated web programs out there but, .mac does what I need it too.... keep grandma's and grandpa's in touch, plain and simple.
Finally the fact that they (tunes, movie, photo, dvd, .mac) are TRUELY integrated is extremely refreshing.

Count me in for life........ or is that ilife?!

jrv3034
Jul 29, 2004, 11:15 AM
Switched last November from an AMD Duron 1GHz self built PC to the system in my sig. ;)

I love OS X.

mac_gal
Jul 29, 2004, 11:19 AM
Switched just over a month ago to my first Apple product ever ... 15" PB :)

Thrilled, just thrilled

Capt Underpants
Jul 29, 2004, 11:25 AM
I switched about three months ago, when I bought my 12" PB. I don't own a PC anymore, but I do own an xbox (which might as well be a PC). I have made the complete switch. I have only one regret: the fact that Counter-Strike isn't available on a mac. Oh well, though.

Out of the 3 months I have had my mac, it has locked up once, resulting in a hard shut down. I'm pretty happy about that, though I would like it to be better. I'm still learning OSX, and I am very much a mac newb, but I'm getting there.

FriarCrazy
Jul 29, 2004, 11:25 AM
Switched just a little over a month ago... Got a 12" PB and I love it! I just recently got a 20 gig R4 iPod and Airport Express. It took one of my friends 11 years to convince me to switch, and now I think I love Macs more than him!

stevehaslip
Jul 29, 2004, 11:44 AM
i switched last september and have never looked back! i've also switched 3 other people!!!! thats progress! :D

Vanilla
Jul 29, 2004, 11:59 AM
I switched just over a month ago with a purchase of a 17" PowerBook. I've had one issue with it not waking from sleep but apart from that I have not been able to wipe the smile off my face whenever I use it. I'm now totally evangelical about the brand. Two people converted so far as well.
Vanilla

operastarlet
Jul 29, 2004, 12:08 PM
I switched in February.:D Very happy with decision and throw a fit whenever I have to even get near anything windows related. :eek:

xaphonyx
Jul 29, 2004, 12:16 PM
I think i can officially say i switched today, my dual 2.0ghz g5 just shipped. I recieved my 20in acd yesturday and i am extremly happy with it, apple just got another lifetime costumer. :D

blodwyn
Jul 29, 2004, 12:18 PM
I switched in mid June, from about 15 years as a PC user. Started using them in 1989 and built my first one in about 1991. Still got 4 PCs and a Vaio laptop in use by the family, mix of WinXP, Xandros and Mepis Linux.

Now I'm using a new 12" PB with 512Mb and the combo drive (already got a DVD burner in one of the PCs). Think I might get some more memory, but I'm dragging the PB around from home to work, to airport, to work, to home - you get the picture. So far I'm really impressed. Use the desktop spanning to an external display a lot (a few freezes when I unplug but I think I've got the right sequence now), also love the fact I can go weeks without a reboot. Oh and the complete freedom from all the security threats that plague Windows systems.

I like Linux, but you have to fiddle with it sometimes and the business apps are still not fully compatible with MSOffice, which is what I spend 90% of my time working in. I've tried Crossover and it gives me odd problems which interrupt my workflow. I've abandoned Windows for business use because of the security issues and constant updates. I really don't want to have to scrutinize emails for potential viruses (virii?), update my system every couple of weeks with the patch de jour, and the amount of spyware/adware around now is just ridiculous.

The Mac gives me the best of both worlds, mature and stable applications running on a mature and stable OS, with none of the security issues (at least not yet).

I'm a happy Mac convert!

nekkets
Jul 29, 2004, 12:20 PM
14 ibook :)

just switched

sigamy
Jul 29, 2004, 12:58 PM
OK, here's my story...
We were remodeling our upstairs last spring/summer so I had to put disconnect my WinXP box. I always wanted a Mac and OS X so I found a 500Mhz G3 iBook on eBay and went for it. That was my primary computer for a month, then traded that up for a 700Mhz G3 iBook.

I wanted to get back into making home movies and DVDs so when I found a refurbished 1Ghz 17" FP iMac on Apple's Special Deals page I grabbed it. Couldn't pass it up for $1299.

Soon after I sold my 800mhz Athlon WinXP system to a friend's mom for $300.

I sold the iBook to my sister-in-law and have been using the iMac as my only home PC for months. But just last week I picked up another Apple refurb--a basically brand new 12" 800Mhz G4 iBook.

Man, I love that Special Deals page!

TDM21
Jul 29, 2004, 01:40 PM
Crap, I double posted

sorry

TDM21
Jul 29, 2004, 01:43 PM
I switched back on July 1 when I bought a 12"PB. My mom used to be a director at a county preschool and all the computers there were Macs. Given they weren't the best computers (all LCII exept for the office computer witch was a all-in-one PowerPC) when you put the program Kids Desk on them then you created the best kid computer ever. This is where I learned everything about macs (given that all the computers had system 7.* and the office computer had 8.1).

Sadly my mom was forced to quit here job at the preschool and become a elementary school teacher and I was computerless for about 2 years. Then we bought a Copmaq Presario for the house and I had a steep learning curve ahead. For the past 3 years I have used nothing but a wintel machine, but it hasn't been all that bad. If I had not used a PC during my important learning years (highschool) then I would not know as much about computers as I do now.

For the past year or so I have said to myself that I am going to get back into the Mac world. For those years I was on PC I was worried about Apple and there products mainly due to what I had learned on the pc about processor speed and features. Now with Macs looking competative to the average consumer I was satisfied that I really wanted to switch.

With the money I recieved from graduation I finally had enough money to buy a computer. I wanted to buy a 15" PB with the upgraded vram, harddrive, switch the ram to 1 stick of 512mb, and drop the supperdrive (if you are on the education discount you can drop the superdrive and buy the hd and vram upgrade for the same price). unfortunatly I did not have the money to buy it and therefore I settled for the 12"PB. I don't regret this decision since I really wanted the battery power of the 12". Also I have a old Compaq laptop that was 12" and really liked the size of it. I had once borrowed my friends 15" Dell and it just felt huge in my hands.

Again the learning curve is steep since I have to relearn a whole new operating system, but ut cant be as bad as learning linux. I am happy with my new Mac and would not change it for the world

Solafaa
Jul 29, 2004, 02:18 PM
I switched like 1 year ago, i made a post thread about it.

aswitcher
Jul 29, 2004, 04:33 PM
I switched in the last few months. Its been good with most things working a treat. iLife stuff is really good and holds so much promise as refinements and additions appear over the next few years. I think Panther marked the point where OSX had finally matured Apple into the mainstream consumer market. Looking forward to staying a Mac user.

JDOG_
Jul 29, 2004, 04:54 PM
I switched in October of last year because my IBM Stinkpad bit the dust quite dramatically and I needed a laptop quick. This was right around the time the new iBook G4's came out & the edu discount was large & in charge.

Never looked back since, this baby rocks--even with the new rev.B models.

Cnoffis
Jul 29, 2004, 04:58 PM
I got my first Mac back in '96. Loved it. But when the time came for an upgrade, my family couldn't afford a new Mac. So I went with a crappy Compaq for a few years.

But I never gave up the Mac scene, and late December '03 i finally swithed back. I bought myself a Dual 1.8 GHz PowerMac G5, with 1 GB RAM. My best choice so far... :)

johnnyjibbs
Jul 30, 2004, 09:42 AM
I switched last September when the new 12" PB came out (rev B). I love it. We still use PCs at home (my family hasn't "switched") but my PowerBook is our first ever Mac. However, my brother's swayed and it looks like he'll be getting the next rev iBook 12" for when he starts university. My dad has been marvelling at the ease of my movie creations etc so I can see he may decide to get one in the future!!

JzzTrump22
Jul 30, 2004, 10:10 AM
I made the switch 1 month ago and it was the greatest thing i ever did. I don't regret buying my PowerBook and i don't see how i ever could regret it.

derboy
Jul 30, 2004, 10:28 AM
i switched back a few months age. the g5 got ebayed and a pc got bought. i've had enough of apple's policies in the uk after purchase. they claim to be for creative professionals but other than music and 2d graphic design, where is this expanse of creative wealth?

arguably 3d solid modelling is very creative, and this is my profession as a product designer. (not maya style) Big developers steer well clear of investing money that could be swept away with apples whims.

everyone that has switched has done so because doing office things on a mac is nicer. not that they are neccesarily a better tool.

from the mac plus, to the g5. i am now spent.
time for some pc lovin! ha

duy802
Jul 30, 2004, 11:04 AM
I got the 15" Aluminum Powerbook the day it came out last September. Have been drinking the Apple kool-aid ever since.

Ryan1524
Jul 30, 2004, 11:40 AM
i switched almost exactly a month a go. i got a 15" PB 1.5 and i love it. my PC's only function now is to be a jukebox (it's too old to be a game machine). and i stream the music from my PB view rendezvous (love it).

i swithced because i've been using windows all my life and i'm bored. i don't experience anything terrible like crashes every few minutes or endless barrages of virus and spyware. i fortify myself quite well, but i'm bored with it. i wanted soemthing new. so i tried OS X and i fell in love. now i don't even want to look at my PC, the colors are washed out, the interface feels ugly and clumsy, and everything is just so much easier on my PB. especially sicne i'm going to univ, i want a computer that doesn't need as much care as my PC to keep it running as smooth. and the PB fits the bill perfectly.

My name is Ryan and I AM A Mac User. :D

Cooper
Jul 30, 2004, 11:55 AM
I switched today for a 12" iBook. I will receive it in approximately 2 weeks.

I'm like a kid! :p

Cooknn
Jul 30, 2004, 02:21 PM
Bought my first Mac last November. OS X ROCKS!

oreo
Jul 30, 2004, 04:16 PM
I got my first Mac just over a month ago a 14"iBook, I love it & can't imagine going back to a pc. I've got my fingers crossed that my Airport express arrives on Monday, it was shipped yesterday.

Dandaman
Jul 30, 2004, 04:36 PM
Switched in Feburary of this year. Got an iBook G4 800MHz. I love it and hardly ever use my PC anymore. Got about 3 people switched since then and a couple more seriously thinking about it once they get more money. :D

MrSugar
Jul 30, 2004, 04:44 PM
switched last august to 17" ... now I have a g5 and 17.

DND82
Jul 30, 2004, 05:35 PM
switched in january to a 17" PB. haven't looked back since.

Kingsnapped
Jul 30, 2004, 06:05 PM
December saw my 15" Powerbook. My Compaq is sitting in the corner, gathering dust, as I moved the Network cable from it to my PS2.

einsteinium
Jul 30, 2004, 08:57 PM
I've switched. I grew up in the wonderful mac world. When I went to school I went PC and lived in the darkness for 3 years. Came back last October and couldn't be happier with my return :) Thanks apple.

overheated
Jul 31, 2004, 01:52 AM
just after WWDC 04 had completed and asured us of no upgrades to the PB would be forth coming for a while i took the plunge and bought my first apple product (beside my 2 year old ipod). i did the bto on apple's site and got a 17" with the 128vram and the 5400 HD then bought 2 (non OEM) 1gb sticks of ram. i also got an extra battery charger and two extra batteries along with paying the 350.00 bux for the protection package. so needless to say i jummped in with both feet at a tune of about 4.5k. so far i can make these observations. the machines build quaity is top notch. the OS seems bulletproof. battery life is good. the display is nice and bright but could use a little more DPI to it. very nice array of connection options. nice and quiet. gets warm like every other laptop (i mean notebook) i have owned (meaning to hot to use as a laptop for very long).

i mean not to step on anyones toes with this next comment but there are things in which both windows and osx do well at respectively. i have been a pc poweruser (to put it mildly) for some time. i have, at any one time, seven to ten windows boxes running in the house, i have a 42U APC rack enclosure in my basement stuffed with various machines new and old, i spend on average 200.00 a month on my electricity bill, so one could say i am certianly a darksider, but rencently a bored darksider.

i bought my PB (if for nothing else) to gain exposure to apple and see what the hype is about. i will say that i am growing weary of all the window OS security flaws (which apple seem free from or aren't publicized).

i do a lot of video (NLE) and a fair amount of content creation. i bought final cut pro HD and dvd studio pro 2 both of which look a lot like adobe progams to me. they work as expected.

i continue to enjoy turning the PB on each day which is i guess the easiest way for me to tell if the purchase was sound. i plan to get one of the new 23" displays but i will more then likely hook it to a windows box and not the PB as it would tend to make the PB a little more less portable :). to help me justify the purchase (in my mind) i needed to be able to use the PB at work on a daily basis and, because of my business i need to run a specific (windows only) app. so i picked up virtual pc 6 which, i have to say i am rather impressed with. VPC6 runs well enough that any pc user excluding gamers and video editors can assure themselfes of coverage for thier windows software that they can make the switch if they are willing.

basically i am happy and am looking foward to seeing where it goes from here. i am thinking that some of the things that i am missing from the windows world i may find substitues with in the release of tiger.

jtgotsjets
Jul 31, 2004, 01:56 AM
I don't know if I could really be called a switcher, as I started my digital existence on a Mac LCII (when I was about 4) and moved to Performas during my elementary and middle school years (I was in the Edison project and every student gets a free mac for the duration of their stay in the program).
When the time came to go to high school and my family needed a computer, I begged and begged for a Mac (I believe I wanted an iMac at the time, or maybe I was enthralled with the G3 or G4 tower then). Alas, my mom got a PC (built by a friend of my dad's), because she was fed up with compatibility issues (which were still a problem on the Performas running system 7). We got the PC and have had it for four years.
I can't say I was unhappy with it, like so many others. Aside from the learning curve early on (rule number 1: always save in word, because it WILL crash just as you go to print), and various strange problems in its early life, the system eventually became more and more stable (which is apparently very strange for a Windows machine, due to all the reformatting I hear about), and I learned to solve problems faster and faster. It was nice to have that PC, as I learned tons about computers in the four years I had it. It was a well built machine, and I never had any major problems with viruses or spyware (and I went without a firewall or an antivirus program for about 3 of my four years with it).
I still love that PC, despite its recently broken CD/DVD-ROM and its inability to play recent PC games.
But beneath that pride behind my super stable Wintel machine was a not quite dormant lust for a Mac again.
It was around my senior year when my parents made a clear to me that a laptop was going to be a graduation gift for me. The Rev. A iBook was a little out of price range. It was about $2100 dollars for the configuration that I wanted (the 1 gHz 14 inch one, loaded up) and it was looking like we might have to get a PC out of neccessity.

And then came the Rev. Bs. All of a sudden I could get everything I wanted in a 12" model, thus saving almost $1000. And due to some other graduation gifts, I got the laptop, an iPod, and a printer in May of 2004.

And I couldn't be happier with my precious iBook (despite plans to build a PC next summer, for the reasons of having never done it and a need for a PC games [even thought the iBook can handle a lot, it still kinda sucks to play games on any laptop])

C-Mezak
Jul 31, 2004, 11:04 AM
Switched 2 weeks ago with a 12" pb. love it.

jaeshellz
Aug 2, 2004, 12:09 AM
Wuddup errbody! Yea I just made the switch in June. I bought myself a 12in. Powerbook G4 and i love it! Just a few days ago I recieved my Airport Express in the mail which i ordered before Apple started shipping it. So now I could get online wirelessly and its f'n beautiful. I hooked up some cables from the AE to my stereo and can now play my songs off of iTunes from my speakers in my room, all wireless! I know I'm fairly new to the mac world but I'm loving what I learned so far. ;)

Brother Michael
Aug 3, 2004, 11:15 AM
I switched 2 weeks ago.

My new roommate for school is a 12" iBook G3 (600mhz) running Panther. I call him Shrike.

Mike

hkriffraff
Aug 3, 2004, 11:27 AM
I switched in November 2003 (15" PB) and love Apple products and design, but the ordeal of waiting for releases and ordering products is hell (still waiting for my iPod, 2 weeks after placing an order that was supposed to take 2 days to ship and which an Apple agent called to say would be delivered the following day...3 days ago). Great user experience, lousy buyer experience.

Pomme
Aug 6, 2004, 04:30 PM
I'm a recent switcher, too! Bought my very first Mac at the end of June. (Just a few weeks shy of the Cram and Jam rebate program--alas!--but I love my iBook too much to complain.) So far, I've been nothing but delighted with my Apple experience. The OS is easy as pie, and I haven't had any problems yet. The fact that my iBook is just as beautiful as it is function is an added plus!

I never hated PCs, but I've never loved a computer like I love my 14" iBook.

Aoes
Aug 6, 2004, 07:44 PM
hehe i actually don't remember when i switched... all i know is its earlier this year and damn proud i did it... sleek design, no viruses, lighter weight, most importantly... no windows BS... i have seen the light that is the iBook + iPod :eek:

TreeHugger
Aug 6, 2004, 07:47 PM
I've come across so many posts in which someone announced they just made the switch, so I wondered how many people did the same thing in the last 12 months or so. I, btw, switched 6 months ago when I bought my Rev. B 12" PB. I have not regretted this decision at all.

Thanks!

Switched about a week ago. Haven't looked back since. Enjoying this new puppy ever since :)

adam1185
Aug 6, 2004, 08:25 PM
I got my rev. c 12" powerbook about 3 months ago and I'm not going back :)

ghostee
Aug 6, 2004, 10:06 PM
Switched to an iBook G4 800 about 5 months ago, and have been loving it. Just need to put some more RAM in this sexy beast. :D

spargo
Aug 6, 2004, 10:15 PM
Hi there everybody! :cool:

Just thought i'd add a post to proudly announce that I will be collecting my first Apple on the 16th August, along with a 4th Gen 40Gb iPod i ordered at the same time..

I ordered a 15" G4 Powerbook w/Superdrive, and optioned it to have a single 512mb stick of RAM instead of 2x256MB (leaving space for more into the spare slot later), the upgrade to 128MB video RAM which should be awesome for DVD's, and the higher speed HDD option.. It should be a sweet piece of steel to use and flaunt to my many PC-using mates!

I went in to order the Powerbook the week they officially announced the 4th gen iPod and after seeing all of the U.S. reviews I did not need convincing that I had to have one..

Being from Australia i'll collect the current AUD$150 cash back deal Apple is offering for buying a Laptop and pod at the same time -ala U.S. 'cram and jam' promotion.., then 29 days later i'm on a plane off to London with my fiance for 2 years of working/travelling through Europe - so this was the only practical way to take ALL of my CD collection (400cd's+) away with us on a Laptop and also the iPod..

I'm typing this on my dying Pentium II 333mhz that has served me well for the past 5.5 years, but considering all the trouble i've had with it and many PC's at work - i'm never going back!!! :D As i type this it is encoding the last rack of my CD collection - into the Win version of iTunes i've been getting used to and loving - so that once the Powerbook arrives, I will do an overnight transfer of all the music via LAN over to the 'book and will be ready to get on the plane..

And because i'm buying it within 30 days of leaving Australian, I can claim and receive the Tax back on the whole lot - which will be a sweet AUD$400 back in my pocket!

Bring on the 16th - SWITCH DAY!!!

Cheers, and congrats on the great forum.. Aussie users are well represented over here on AppleTalk (http://www.appletalk.com.au)

beatle888
Aug 6, 2004, 11:54 PM
i switched back a few months age. the g5 got ebayed and a pc got bought. i've had enough of apple's ..........

out of curiosity i have to ask why you still visit macrumors? im not saying you shouldnt, i just had to ask out of curiosity.

rcampbell
Aug 7, 2004, 01:56 AM
I just ordered my first mac yesterday, a 12" powerbook and a 20 gig iPod! I can't wait :D

Montserrat
Aug 7, 2004, 03:42 AM
Switched 12 months ago, almost to the day!
I don't think my 12" powerbook has left my side all that time. Been around the world - literally. Greatest computing products ever. Technically I'm not a true switcher, having never actually owned a Wintel PC (A fact I am very proud of :D ), but I can claim to have converted at least half a dozen windoze users in the last 12 months, with at least three times that number lusting after my baby mac!
Can't wait for the next addition to my Mac family!

iSaint
Aug 7, 2004, 08:29 AM
in the process of switching, see signature...

I'll speak for a friend who I don't think posts here...ordered his 15" PB and iPod and will arrive next week. He, too, is a switcher.

gekko513
Aug 7, 2004, 09:10 AM
I switched in december 2003. 12" PowerBook. I'm very happy with it and my old PC is now collecting dust in the closet.

thejazzman10
Aug 7, 2004, 09:28 AM
i switched back a few months age. the g5 got ebayed and a pc got bought.

me too, I think that a windows box makes a way better door stop than a G5 :D

abhishekit
Aug 7, 2004, 05:04 PM
Yesterday I made my friend switch :D. He was in the market for a cheap windows laptop and iPod. The cram and jam deal was the clincher. :) He ordered a 14" iBook and the iPod.

cheers

Hoef
Aug 7, 2004, 05:30 PM
I am about to switch when the frckn 2.5 GHz arrives .... somewhere 8/20 or so they say

Tuned MP5
Aug 7, 2004, 10:50 PM
I'll be making the switch soon.

friarbayliff
Aug 7, 2004, 11:26 PM
I switched June 2004 - bought a 12" pb - I love it

~Shard~
Aug 7, 2004, 11:29 PM
I just swicthed a co-worker to nice new 15" PowerBook (sans SuperDrive) with 1 GB of RAM - he's gonna love it... :cool:

jaromski
Aug 7, 2004, 11:32 PM
I can't really say I fully "switched" because I still use a PC workstation for CAD work.

However, for fun stuff, I bought a PB 12" and 20 GB iPod.

If I could, I would switch all my systems to Mac.

JaromSki

pinto32
Aug 7, 2004, 11:59 PM
While I still use my PC (for folding and IMing) I made the switch last December. While some my find it hard to beleive that I still use my decrepet PC while I have a beautiful iBook G4, I think that continuing to use both just makes me appreciate the Mac more....

Gherkin
Aug 8, 2004, 12:41 AM
I got my first Mac, a 15" Powerbook, in June. I'll have to say, OSX isn't mind blowingly better than Windows, but I definitely do like it more.

I think I'll really start loving my Powerbook even more when I go back to college later this month. I have yet to use my Powerbook outside of my house.

dorqiekat
Aug 8, 2004, 01:44 AM
5 days old 12 inch powerbook. :D VERY happy!

zv470
Aug 8, 2004, 08:38 AM
I switched in March when I bought my iPod, it made me want to get an iBook straight away. While my iBook was on backorder I changed my mind and got a 12" rev B powerbook instead, which arrived the next day. Happy switcher. :) I had been saving all summer. I knew rev C powerbooks were just around the corner, but I couldn't wait any longer so I don't regret my decision at all.

wannamac
Aug 8, 2004, 12:43 PM
Just switched this month. Bought a used ibook, and can not stop using it!! I love just looking at it, all by it's lonesome on my great big desk (I moved the printer to the floor for the time being), to give her a chance to settle in. Can not believe I waited so long, am already checking out the PB though . . .

puckhead193
Aug 8, 2004, 05:18 PM
I just switch as of monday and i love my powerbook!

maddav
Aug 8, 2004, 05:28 PM
I switched on the 28th April, when i ordered my iBook, i love it so much, i got a job, and am now saving up for a G5 w/one of those slick monitors :D

OldManJimbo
Aug 9, 2004, 01:29 AM
Switched April 2004 - first PC was a 286 with 1MB of Ram and 20MB of storage. Word Perfect didn;t even have WYSIWYG and I was fairly good at DOS and F-codes.
Made the switch when my Dell laptop started having more trouble than would have been practical to repair. Price comparisons showed the Mac would not be more than few dollars higher, so I took the leap and with the exception of one software program I can't find in a comparable MAC version, I am very pleased.

BTW - the program I still use on PC is eCampaign - a full-featured bulk email program that cost less than $75 and is very user friendly.

konaforever
Aug 9, 2004, 01:46 AM
Switcher here. Bought a 12 inch pb last June; right after the revision! Haven't looked back since.:-)

I simply LOVE my powerbook!

virividox
Aug 9, 2004, 02:27 AM
i havnt switched in the last 12 months, but iv gotten 6 people to switch all getting powerbooks :)

aswitcher
Aug 9, 2004, 02:29 AM
i havnt switched in the last 12 months, but iv gotten 6 people to switch all getting powerbooks :)

I have just gotten a work colleage to switch and get a 14" iBook

zachhale
Aug 9, 2004, 04:43 AM
I just recently (August 2nd) purchased my first mac (excluding my iPod). I've been a PC user for a long time and after readin about many people switching and reading their reasons about how it was better for them in so many ways, I decided to assess my personal situation for college in the fall and decided to go for the 12" iBook. Since I was on a strict budget, I purchased a 12" iBook G3 900mhz with a 40gb hard drive, 384mb ram, and a dvd/cdrw drive.

It's a sweet machine and I'm very glad I finally made the switch (or so far). I still have to lug my windows machine for the file storage, but hopefully I'll transfer to an external firewire drive to use with my iBook. :D

It's so exciting!

kos
Aug 9, 2004, 06:46 AM
I bought the latest 12in with 512mb chip addon with G4 ipod (scratched on the first day since they didnt have any rubber cases lol) I finding the powerbook very user friendly but xp on virtual pc run's like a heap of crap compared to a normal pc even with the 512mb chip add on. Otherwise Mac OS X is good stuff!

iSaint
Aug 9, 2004, 08:17 AM
in the process of switching, see signature...

I'll speak for a friend who I don't think posts here...ordered his 15" PB and iPod and will arrive next week. He, too, is a switcher.

...my friend just found out his sister-in-law ordered a 15" PB the same day he did. Neither knew the other was ordering. Add another switcher to the ranks.

p.s. how long will I be a newbie???