Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SocratesGS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Hey Gang,

I'm trying to help out a friend who's DVD Rom drive died in their MAC. Are all Internal IDE drved compatible? Is there something I should look out for? They don't have a lot of resources and were hoping to get an inexpesive DVD drive. I can get a hold of a multitude of DVD drives for $20 to $225 for them, but I don't want to get one that won't work. Socan anyone enlighten me on this? IS is OS dependent, hardware dependent, or both? Thanks in advanced for your help!

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says....with out knowing all the specifics of the Mac you are talking about the only answers you'll get are gpoing to be general ones. So, in general, for a straight dvd-only drive, any IDE will probably work. What I might suggest though, is getting more info of the make/model of the Mac and the make/model of the DVD drives you are looking at and then do a quick check at xlr8yourmac's database where you can see what has worked best for others that have installed different drives.....oh yeah!

stoid

macrumors 601
Keep in mind that cheap drives probably use plastic parts and will break-down much easier/faster. I would suggest just getting this. It's a DVD burner that is the same kind that Apple uses so it works with iLife for only $99. If I had a tower instead of a laptop, I'd get it tonight!

SocratesGS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Ok,

My friends just dropped off their MAC (actually it's an iMac with OS 8.6). I cracked it open and there is no way an IDE DVD drive can be used. So my next question is: Where canI get a replacement DVD drive for an iMac? Could I put together an external USB drive?

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
so you mean the CRT iMac... because the TFT uses 'normal' ide drives...

for the CRT iMac I'm not sure... mmm its IDE allso... but they used laptop-type drives I guess... if it has FireWire connections: buy a LaCie D2 or Porsche Design drive with FireWire... works fine, no need to dissasemble the mac... and you're 100% sure it is compatible ;-)

<Edit: another Idea... wich is not so eastethical but cheaper...

I'm sure its IDE... and since you craked the iMac open allready... get a longer IDE cable, get a powercord extensioncable, find a way to take the connectors outside the shell and connect a normal 'internal' drive there... you can make a plastic box to put around it so it looks a bit nicer... but I think this is the cheapest way to do it... or you have to find the iMac Drive on eBay or so... >

Anarchy99

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2003
CA
i know there is some difference i believe the slot loading imac cable is smaller than regular and the older imacs are standard ide

SocratesGS

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2004
Thanks for all the help guys,

I only looked "skin deep" into the iMac. What I first saw was the video connector :eek: , not the IDE connector. I actually remove the "guts" from the iMac and saw that Jo-Kun was right, they are laptop drives in the A & B series iMacs. It's tray loading, so I think I could swap it out for an iBook DVD drive. Does anyone know if that's been done? I'm also wondering about how to go about getting a DVD player for the iMac because it's an 8.6 OS.

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
as they say on: http://www.welovemacs.com/imacemacdrives.html

"DVD capability is not possible on tray loading iMacs!"

so you won't get it I guess... but I might be wrong... and I think you can upgrade to OS9.2.2 by getting the updates on apples site... and give it a try...

and abuot adding the iBook drive: I think it can work... but you need to remove the front of the tray I guess because that won't fit.

and you will see the difference in 'look' but thats not prior to having a drive that works ;-)

or go for the slot-loading cd-rw drive mctech delivers... you won't get DVD but you will be able to write cd's...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.