PDA

View Full Version : resizing an image to have smaller pixels?

question fear
Jul 31, 2004, 12:37 PM
I am trying to use a different image for my avatar, but i keep getting a message that it cant be more than 75 by 75 pixels. How do I resize the image to make it that size?
I know i've done this before, and I can't remember how i did it.
I apologize if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it if it is.
-c

Laslo Panaflex
Jul 31, 2004, 12:41 PM
I am trying to use a different image for my avatar, but i keep getting a message that it cant be more than 75 by 75 pixels. How do I resize the image to make it that size?
I know i've done this before, and I can't remember how i did it.
I apologize if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it if it is.
-c

If you have photoshop just go up to image->image size, and change it to the ammount of pixels that you want.

I don't know how to do it without Photoshop, that's what I use.

question fear
Jul 31, 2004, 12:46 PM
alas, no photoshop :(
i thought there was a way to do it in preview but now im not so sure.

w00tmaster
Jul 31, 2004, 01:00 PM
alas, no photoshop :(
i thought there was a way to do it in preview but now im not so sure.
Then install the gimp: http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

7on
Jul 31, 2004, 03:19 PM
you can also resize in iPhoto. Drag into iPhoto and Export as 75x75. Though I recommend GIMP. Apple should include it on all Macs, that'd be rad - since they lack a painting app.

Abstract
Jul 31, 2004, 06:19 PM
Apple should really give people a basic image program to muck around with. iPhoto and Image Capture are the two you can use, but I don't think you can use image capture in this case, so iPhoto is your best bet.

jsw
Jul 31, 2004, 06:40 PM
if it's a PowerMac/Book and relatively new, it should have GraphicConverter on it, which will also do the trick.

If you right-click (or control click, for you one-buttoners) on a JPG, are there any options to "Open With" that you haven't yet explored (aside from one you know won't let you resize)?

pseudobrit
Jul 31, 2004, 11:43 PM
GraphicConverter

A wonderful app for those who've neither the cash to buy nor bandwidth/inclination to steal a copy of Photoshop.

BTW, (I could be wrong) there's no such thing as making pixels smaller (unless you're talking about the physical pixels on the display itself :p ).

You can reduce image size to use less pixels (which is what you're talking about), but a pixel is a pixel is a pixel. :)

question fear
Aug 1, 2004, 06:52 PM
iphoto worked! thanks for all your help!