1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

resizing an image to have smaller pixels?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by question fear, Jul 31, 2004.

1. macrumors 68020

question fear

I am trying to use a different image for my avatar, but i keep getting a message that it cant be more than 75 by 75 pixels. How do I resize the image to make it that size?
    I know i've done this before, and I can't remember how i did it.
    I apologize if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move it if it is.
    -c

2. macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

If you have photoshop just go up to image->image size, and change it to the ammount of pixels that you want.

I don't know how to do it without Photoshop, that's what I use.

3. macrumors 68020

question fear

alas, no photoshop :(
    i thought there was a way to do it in preview but now im not so sure.

4. macrumors regular

Then install the gimp: http://www.gimp.org/macintosh/

5. 7on
    macrumors 601

7on

you can also resize in iPhoto. Drag into iPhoto and Export as 75x75. Though I recommend GIMP. Apple should include it on all Macs, that'd be rad - since they lack a painting app.

6. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Apple should really give people a basic image program to muck around with. iPhoto and Image Capture are the two you can use, but I don't think you can use image capture in this case, so iPhoto is your best bet.

7. jsw
    Moderator emeritus

jsw

if it's a PowerMac/Book and relatively new, it should have GraphicConverter on it, which will also do the trick.

If you right-click (or control click, for you one-buttoners) on a JPG, are there any options to "Open With" that you haven't yet explored (aside from one you know won't let you resize)?

8. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

A wonderful app for those who've neither the cash to buy nor bandwidth/inclination to steal a copy of Photoshop.

BTW, (I could be wrong) there's no such thing as making pixels smaller (unless you're talking about the physical pixels on the display itself :p ).

You can reduce image size to use less pixels (which is what you're talking about), but a pixel is a pixel is a pixel. :)

9. macrumors 68020

question fear

iphoto worked! thanks for all your help!