PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds Compatibility With Original iPhone and iPod Touch

MacRumors
Nov 18, 2009, 03:28 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/18/tomtom-version-1-2-released-adds-compatibility-with-original-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

Version 1.2 of TomTom U.S. & Canada [submitted last week ("]App Store[/url], $99.99], [url="http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/12/tomtom-iphone-app-to-gain-text-to-speech-lane-guidance/), has gone live in the App Store, bringing text-to-speech, lane guidance and a number of other new features to the popular GPS navigation application. Similar updates for a number of other international versions of the application have also begun appearing.

One other important feature of note is the addition of support for the original iPhone and all iPod touch models. The iPod touch lacks internal GPS, however, so those devices would have to paired with an external GPS receiver such as the TomTom car kit (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/08/28/tomtom-car-kit-details-revealed-by-fcc/) in order to function.[quote][i]AWARD-WINNING NAVIGATION EXPERIENCE
- Improved search and route summary screens

DETAILED, UP-TO-DATE MAPS
- FREE updated map from v8.30 to 8.35
- Updated points of interest database

IQ ROUTES TECHNOLOGY
- Updated IQ Routes database with millions of new measurements

ADVANCED SAFETY FEATURES
- Added Advanced Lane Guidance in both portrait and landscape mode
- Added Text-to-speech in English US, English UK, English Australia, French Canada, Spanish Latin America
- Added Help Me! emergency menu

DESIGNED AND OPTIMIZED FOR THE IPHONE AND IPOD TOUCH
- Added iPod player support

COMPATIBILITY
- Added support for original iPhone and iPod touch (all models).

Article Link: TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds Compatibility With Original iPhone and iPod Touch (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/11/18/tomtom-version-1-2-released-adds-compatibility-with-original-iphone-and-ipod-touch/)

AppleMatt
Nov 18, 2009, 03:42 PM
There's a number of little improvements, for example, the voices list is separated out with flags and headings. The volume adjuster has some icons added. The speed camera alert sound has changed.

Crashed when I first opened it, but tried again and it worked.
edit: But changing voices is now bloody slow.
edit 2: Was 'GPS Enhancer' there before? 'TomTom GPS Enhancer compensates for any delays or inaccuracies in your location.'
edit 3: Navigating around the app is slower than 1.1 :(. Especially when you click 'Route options'. I don't know why they've added a flip...the menu disappears to black, then the screen flips. Surely it should just flip straight from the menu. Makes no sense and makes you wait longer. Actually it's really irritating.
edit 4: Lane Guidance is really cool; it not only shows you the lane but the sign too. Only problem is that for the 0.5miles approaching the spot where that screen appears, the app jumps and stutters (maybe it's loading/calculating the image?). The pretty picture doesn't come up for all junctions though (see second image - tells you lane at bottom but not on main screen).
edit 5: It now displays consecutive instructions via icons! For example, turn left then turn right shows two icons (previously it only displayed the next manoeuvre).

AppleMatt

djdole
Nov 18, 2009, 04:21 PM
*reads title* TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds Compatibility With Original iPhone and iPod Touch

<Initial thoughts>
Wait.... it supports the ORIGINAL iPhone? ... O_o ... as in the 1st Gen iPhone?... The one WITHOUT GPS?
</Initial thoughts>

And all of a sudden the external GPS receiver in the car kit makes MUCH more sense.
So if the (EXPENSIVE) car kit (read windshield mount + other functionality that is for the most part, redundant for the majority of iPhone users) was actually intended for 1stGen iPhone users?

Does that mean TomTom will release a stripped down version of the carkit for 3G(s) without the redundant extra features (no expensive external GPS receiver)?
A MUCH CHEAPER stripped down version?
Please? $20?

bbotte
Nov 18, 2009, 04:25 PM
*reads title* TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds Compatibility With Original iPhone and iPod Touch

<Initial thoughts>
Wait.... it supports the ORIGINAL iPhone? ... O_o ... as in the 1st Gen iPhone?... The one WITHOUT GPS?
</Initial thoughts>

And all of a sudden the external GPS receiver in the car kit makes MUCH more sense.
So if the (EXPENSIVE) car kit (read windshield mount + other functionality that is for the most part, redundant for the majority of iPhone users) was actually intended for 1stGen iPhone users?

Does that mean TomTom will release a stripped down version of the carkit for 3G(s) without the redundant extra features (no expensive external GPS receiver)?
Please? $20?

No, will not happen, TomTom claims iPhone GPS is not good enough.

E.Lizardo
Nov 18, 2009, 04:43 PM

<Initial thoughts>
</Initial thoughts>

Please? $20?

Just buy somebody else's mount if you want to try it w/o the increased GPS accuracy.

Jape
Nov 18, 2009, 04:44 PM
this is great and all, but the Itouch does not fit into the tomtom car kit, it is to small. It would fit into the Magellan one though.

dagomike
Nov 18, 2009, 04:47 PM
*reads title* TomTom Version 1.2 Released, Adds
Please? $20?

If you don't want the GPS functions, just buy any car mount, power adapter, and bluetooth hands free kit.

JonB3Z
Nov 18, 2009, 06:01 PM
I updated, and now it just keeps crashing upon launch. :mad:

! V !
Nov 18, 2009, 06:19 PM
One question.

Does this unit work with an iPod Touch and Navigon?

Tried a Navigon unit, and must say its the best gps app, though the only reason I use a gps app is for long trips that I am unfamiliar with and at times confusing interchanges.

Airmark1
Nov 18, 2009, 06:42 PM
One question.

Does this unit work with an iPod Touch and Navigon?

Tried a Navigon unit, and must say its the best gps app, though the only reason I use a gps app is for long trips that I am unfamiliar with and at times confusing interchanges.

I do really like the Navigon program. I like the voice, directions, accuracy, etc. I HATE the POI feature. It is total crap around me. I live in a major city too.:mad:

I use Navigon with the Tom Tom Car Kit. It is dead-on GPS accuracy.

! V !
Nov 18, 2009, 06:50 PM
I do really like the Navigon program. I like the voice, directions, accuracy, etc. I HATE the POI feature. It is total crap around me. I live in a major city too.:mad:

I use Navigon with the Tom Tom Car Kit. It is dead-on GPS accuracy.

On an iPhone or iPod Touch. :confused:

rstansby
Nov 18, 2009, 07:25 PM

No it is intended to give better GPS reception than the built in GPS receiver in the iPhone. Nothing redundant there. It is a bonus that it also works with the original iPhone and iPod Touch.

Please? $20?

That doesn't make any sense. There are many "stripped down" car kits for the iphone. If you don't want the GPS reciever (which boosts GPS performance on the newer iPhones), then why buy a car kit from Tom Tom.

morserj
Nov 18, 2009, 07:48 PM
I updated, and now it just keeps crashing upon launch. :mad:

Mine too. :( I have even re-booted the phone, but it is still not working.

UnseenLlama
Nov 18, 2009, 08:43 PM
When listening to music, does the music volume lower instead of stopping for directions like the original release?

Rad99004
Nov 18, 2009, 09:32 PM
Tom Tom,

Your update looks nice but your price is still to high.

A sale would make me rethink.

Other wise Navigon or Magellan will get my money.

Everyone,

Any good articles on how all three compare?

Whats the preferred choice and why?

Airmark1
Nov 18, 2009, 09:34 PM
On an iPhone or iPod Touch. :confused:

oops sorry. Not a Touch, I use a iPhone 3G S.

Ashyukun
Nov 18, 2009, 11:12 PM
So, am I just completely and totally missing something here, or is their idea of 'text-to-speech' in this nowhere near what, well, almost all of their lower-priced competition has where the app will actually give you the name of the street vs. just the distance to the turn and where you turn? I've tried out almost all of the voices in English, and they all just give distance and direction and no street names... :mad:

morserj
Nov 18, 2009, 11:54 PM
Mine too. :( I have even re-booted the phone, but it is still not working.

Oh, fixed the crashing issue by deleting the tomtom app from my iphone, and having iTunes re-sync it back onto it. Works now.

Airmark1
Nov 19, 2009, 12:03 AM
So, am I just completely and totally missing something here, or is their idea of 'text-to-speech' in this nowhere near what, well, almost all of their lower-priced competition has where the app will actually give you the name of the street vs. just the distance to the turn and where you turn? I've tried out almost all of the voices in English, and they all just give distance and direction and no street names... :mad:

I have not been able to try mine yet, but I am guessing that the voice needs to be a "computer voice" to do the street names. This is just a shot in the dark though.

AppleMatt
Nov 19, 2009, 04:07 AM
When listening to music, does the music volume lower instead of stopping for directions like the original release?

No, it just stops.

AppleMatt

jmmo20
Nov 19, 2009, 04:31 AM

Still the same. One of the most annoying things about Tomtom.

jmmo20
Nov 19, 2009, 04:32 AM
I have not been able to try mine yet, but I am guessing that the voice needs to be a "computer voice" to do the street names. This is just a shot in the dark though.

Text-to-speech is nowhere to be seen (heard) with the Iberia Tomtom app and a spanish voice, even though this version claims to have spanish T2S.

Also, I haven't seen the advanced lane guidance thing, just a tiny icon at the bottom with a sketch of the lanes, no big sign post like in the first pic the OP posted.

AppleMatt
Nov 19, 2009, 05:40 AM
Also, I haven't seen the advanced lane guidance thing, just a tiny icon at the bottom with a sketch of the lanes, no big sign post like in the first pic the OP posted.

Mine is being sporadic too - sometimes the big picture/signposts, other times just the small pictures in the bottom.

Why can't they just get it right :(.

AppleMatt

Phil Lee
Nov 19, 2009, 06:07 AM
TTS is included in the voices which have (computer) after their names. In the case of the Western Europe TomTom, there is only one British voice with TTS.

dalvin200
Nov 19, 2009, 06:13 AM
TTS is included in the voices which have (computer) after their names. In the case of the Western Europe TomTom, there is only one British voice with TTS.

have you tried the non-british english speaking tts voices?

how do they compare against the british voice?

Phil Lee
Nov 19, 2009, 06:32 AM
have you tried the non-british english speaking tts voices?

how do they compare against the british voice?

On the WE version from the UK app store, none of the other English speaking voices have computer after them so I can only assume they do not have TTS.

baryon
Nov 19, 2009, 06:39 AM
My car doesn't have a cigar lighter power socket so I print out Google maps :)

jmmo20
Nov 19, 2009, 06:58 AM
None of the voices in my Tomtom Iberia app have "computer" as an added name tag. In any language.

That's misleading since the itunes store description says they do have TTS.

cderalow
Nov 19, 2009, 07:21 AM
Tom Tom,

Everyone,

I would agree, but I'd also say the price of all 3 is extremely high in comparison to some of the significantly less costly offerings from other companies.

Granted, those offerings don't have all of the same features, but I honestly don't care about spoken directions.

BillyBigBaws
Nov 19, 2009, 07:27 AM
Text-to-speech is nowhere to be seen (heard) with the Iberia Tomtom app and a spanish voice, even though this version claims to have spanish T2S.

I 'think' the TTS voices are only available and selectable if your iphone UI is in the same language, so you would need to have your iphone UI in Spanish to see the Spanish voice. (sorry if you already did have it in Spanish?)

If you have Western Europe map and change your iphone UI to German, then the German TTS voice will be in the list and the English TTS voice will not be displayed anymore (originally my iphone UI was in English)

I don't have the Iberia map, but after playing with my updated Western Europe this morning i have found this to be the case. So i think you will need to update your iphone to Spanish else you wont get the Spanish TTS.

Hope this helps?

dalvin200
Nov 19, 2009, 07:33 AM
On the WE version from the UK app store, none of the other English speaking voices have computer after them so I can only assume they do not have TTS.

i have the UK & Ireland app from the UK app store..

and in the voices section, i can see under the "English" heading:

British Flag - Serena (Computer)
Aussie Flag - Karen (Computer)
USA Flag - Samantha (Computer)

they are also the only "computer" voices in all of the language headings too...

Ashyukun
Nov 19, 2009, 07:34 AM

Yup, that was it- but similarly, in the US app there's only one (computer) voice available- this seems pretty stupid to not even have included a Spanish TTS voice in the US one, but I'm also rather disappointed there's just the one- several less-costly apps have multiple TTS languages. And honestly, the TTS on the TomTom sounds very much like it's computerized- several of the others sound much more natural. I was really looking forward to having the Australian-accent TTS running on it. :D

I was able to finally get to see one of the advanced lane views (BTW TomTom, thanks a MILLION for not including controls- at least that I can find- to speed up or skip through a route simulation, I REALLY enjoy sitting through the simulation at real-time, or slower given it follows speed limits exactly. WTH use is the route simulation if you can't skip forward to see interchanges you care about?), and they do look and work nice. Though I think I prefer the visual style of the Navigon ones, the flashing arrows on the lanes you should take should help ensure you don't get the wrong one.

The 'iPod Controls' they added though are largely a joke- they only count as being better than the double-tap-the-home-button controls for the fact that you can start music playing from them. Otherwise, they're almost worse than the inherent iPod controls since it takes too long IMO for the display to go back to the normal one from the iPod control/volume.

I will give them credit though- the update did fix a few POI issues I'd had, and while I prefer the visual style of the Navigon ones from my testing the TomTom app has a wider database of lane data than Navigon does.

tstreete
Nov 19, 2009, 07:37 AM
Oh, fixed the crashing issue by deleting the tomtom app from my iphone, and having iTunes re-sync it back onto it. Works now.
Thanks. That seems to have done it for me, too (i.e., delete and reinstall). Lost my favorites, but as the contacts integration seems to work well now, wasn't that big a deal to recreate them.

CBX
Nov 19, 2009, 08:13 AM
Ok. First I couldnt believe the cost of this set up - app + car kit.

However now its even worse!!

The car kit is not compatible with the iPod Touch. It uses a different kit!

On top of this it is 20 cheaper than the iPhone version.

http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=1045&Category=2&Lid=1

I have the phone and ipod touch so would have hoped that one kit would fit both!

wacky4alanis
Nov 19, 2009, 08:26 AM
The kit for the Touch is probably cheaper because it doesn't have to deal with phone calls.

I agree it would've been nice if they had made the mount adjustable so it could support the Touch and iPhones with cases.

But I don't have a case, nor do I have a Touch, so it doesn't affect me personally.

CBX
Nov 19, 2009, 08:30 AM
The kit for the Touch is probably cheaper because it doesn't have to deal with phone calls.

I agree it would've been nice if they had made the mount adjustable so it could support the Touch and iPhones with cases.

But I don't have a case, nor do I have a Touch, so it doesn't affect me personally.

But doesnt give much incentive to buy if you plan on getting the next rev of the iPhone...

UnseenLlama
Nov 19, 2009, 08:38 AM
No, it just stops.

AppleMatt

Thanks! That really is annoying. If Navigon can figure this out, why can't Tom Tom?

countrydweller
Nov 19, 2009, 09:17 AM
I like it, the update seems to be more accurate, TTS works as long as you choose a computer voice. Can look at your overall route before you leave, then make changes if you want to. I like it better than Navigon now.

countrydweller
Nov 19, 2009, 09:23 AM
duplicate post

steveing64
Nov 19, 2009, 09:29 AM
How do i get the update is it free i have only bought the app yesterday but have sync with itunes just no update showing

countrydweller
Nov 19, 2009, 09:51 AM
How do i get the update is it free i have only bought the app yesterday but have sync with itunes just no update showing

Check your version, in change settings, then about, you probably already have version 1.2.

steveing64
Nov 19, 2009, 10:06 AM
Hi

did that before i posted as thought the same but no showing as v1.1 app version 8.150(438743)

AppleMatt
Nov 19, 2009, 10:47 AM
Hi

did that before i posted as thought the same but no showing as v1.1 app version 8.150(438743)

If you 'buy' the app again iTunes will let you re-download it without charging.

It should download the latest version.

AppleMatt

Wender
Nov 19, 2009, 01:01 PM
Is there no way to get the phone call sound on the car stereo? I have a 3,5mm mini-jack cable from the Car Kit to the car stereo, music plays well with good sound, but when a phone call interrupts the sound switches to the speaker of the Car Kit. Poor sound! Why can't I have all sound on the car stereo?

eltoko
Nov 19, 2009, 01:54 PM
Is there no way to get the phone call sound on the car stereo? I have a 3,5mm mini-jack cable from the Car Kit to the car stereo, music plays well with good sound, but when a phone call interrupts the sound switches to the speaker of the Car Kit. Poor sound! Why can't I have all sound on the car stereo?
Even more irritating is that the Car Kit makes it impossible to lower the volume of the navigator speaker voice, while connected to the car stereo. Since the music volume from the iphone is very low listening through the car stereo, there is no way for me listen to music and use the app at the same time (other than not using the car kit). :(

Very bad design imo.

steveing64
Nov 19, 2009, 01:55 PM
Thanks for that AppleMatt

room237
Nov 19, 2009, 07:31 PM
How big is this update?? I deleted the old version off my iPhone and iTunes told me there was not enough space. I deleted more of my larger apps, Now I have 2.75 GB free space and it still says there is not enough space for the TomTom application. I've tried restarting iTunes and my iPhone. Any ideas?

Rad99004
Nov 19, 2009, 08:02 PM
Tom Tom,

Everyone,

With Navigon being on Sale for $69.99 I can see who's going to get my money this weekend.

So far this one looks the best and has the features I want.

Magellan Looks good but not too sure due to the lack of information.

countrydweller
Nov 19, 2009, 08:09 PM
How big is this update?? I deleted the old version off my iPhone and iTunes told me there was not enough space. I deleted more of my larger apps, Now I have 2.75 GB free space and it still says there is not enough space for the TomTom application. I've tried restarting iTunes and my iPhone. Any ideas?

It's 1.31 gb, should be enough, twice the amount of free space is what I've heard.

Erasmus
Nov 20, 2009, 05:15 AM
I would totally love to get this for my iPod Touch, with the docking cradle of course. Pretty much the only big thing I want to know is, do you need to have the dock plugged in to power (via the cigarette lighter, or I guess a mains power adapter) for it to work, or can it either run off the iPod/iPhone battery, or its own battery? ie. can you take it walking around? I'll be very disappointed if the dock needs to be plugged in to function....

eltoko
Nov 20, 2009, 02:36 PM
I would totally love to get this for my iPod Touch, with the docking cradle of course. Pretty much the only big thing I want to know is, do you need to have the dock plugged in to power (via the cigarette lighter, or I guess a mains power adapter) for it to work, or can it either run off the iPod/iPhone battery, or its own battery? ie. can you take it walking around? I'll be very disappointed if the dock needs to be plugged in to function....
sry, it needs to be plugged in

Erasmus
Nov 20, 2009, 04:17 PM
sry, it needs to be plugged in

That is very, very sad.

dagomike
Nov 20, 2009, 08:34 PM
If you just want to use it as a car mount, it obviously doesn't need to be plugged in. But if you want to use the GPS and speakers, it needs to be plugged in. Judging from how GPS nav sucks the battery of the phone, if the iPod powered the charger, you better be planning a short trip.

dmk1974
Nov 24, 2009, 09:53 PM
I just bought the TomTom 1.2 app tonight. I had been using Navigon for a couple months and while overall pleased with it, there are a few things I hate in Navigon such as the POIs and late instructions (in my opinion) when you need to turn.

Only drove probably 10 total miles while using TomTom and so far so good. Pretty responsive, good routes, good TTS voice. When I tested a few POIs that weren't in Navigon, they were indeed present in TomTom (Home Depot, Menards, Costco).

One thing I hope they update for free is the map. There is a street between my work and my wife's work that has been there for a year and a half, but on TomTom's map, it shows that it doesn't go through to connect to a certain cross street. How can this be left off after it's been there for so long?

I'll use this over the next few days or so and report back any issues.

EDH667
Nov 27, 2009, 07:21 AM

I agree, very annoying compared to Navigon.

maviso5
Jan 15, 2010, 03:14 AM
does anyone know if u can use the ipod touch dock for the iphone, as its a saving of 20, which might be worth it if it works fine.

kdarling
Jan 15, 2010, 07:43 AM

It was clear to many people that it was always intended to also allow non-GPS models. Go back and check the original threads.

There's also a belief that the capability was hidden by Apple for a long time in order to not slow down 3G and 3GS sales.

CBX
Jan 15, 2010, 08:02 AM
does anyone know if u can use the ipod touch dock for the iphone, as its a saving of 20, which might be worth it if it works fine.

I dont think it fits

gunzmaiet
Jan 15, 2010, 08:03 AM
It was clear to many people that it was always intended to also allow non-GPS models. Go back and check the original threads.

There's also a belief that the capability was hidden by Apple for a long time in order to not slow down 3G and 3GS sales.

ya, but this was more as a signal booster for actual GPS replacement and not just a cool toy to have

navguy
Jan 15, 2010, 09:13 AM

No, as CBX says different size mount for iPod ... also what i can tell you is that the pin connector on iPhone car kit doesn't work for iPod Touch ... so connectors aren't cross-compatible either