Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
From what I can tell, this product (GPS receiver and cradle for iPod Touch)
is available outside the US now, and due to be released "soon" in the US.

Does anybody have any experience with it yet?

Or any bits of data or info to compare it to Navigon, TomTom, etc.?

Thanks . . .

anthny680

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
I'm also interested in hearing any impressions. I like the fact that it's been designed more as a case that case be carried around, vs. a car kit type solution. But it also comes with a car kit.

One of my questions is whether it'll work with Google Maps?

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
So far they missed their release date for the end of November. Almost a week into December and not a word about the status of this product. Starting to look more and more like vaporware to me. :mad:

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Hmmmm . . . :^(

So far they missed their release date for the end of November. Almost a week into December and not a word about the status of this product. Starting to look more and more like vaporware to me. :mad:

I sure hope not . . . I keep looking in Amazon, since supposedly that's
how we'll be able to buy it initially.

I also can't find the Tom Tom Car Kit. So now I've got this nice new 64GB
Touch, and nothing to put on it . . . ;^) Just kidding - 50GB of music, photos,
podcasts, and audiobooks, plus iCal and AddressBook info, and now a few
apps. I may have to take off stuff to fit a GPS app . . .

So what are our options?

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
I sure hope not . . . I keep looking in Amazon, since supposedly that's
how we'll be able to buy it initially.

I also can't find the Tom Tom Car Kit. So now I've got this nice new 64GB
Touch, and nothing to put on it . . . ;^) Just kidding - 50GB of music, photos,
podcasts, and audiobooks, plus iCal and AddressBook info, and now a few
apps. I may have to take off stuff to fit a GPS app . . .

So what are our options?

The problem with the Tom Tom one is you can not use it with out it being plugged into the car charger. its has no battery and will not work with out power. I think the Magellan's GPS Car kit will be similar
So if you want to go geocaching or hiking (the geocaching iphone app ROCKS) Dual is the only option right now. still no word on when it will be released.

I doubt its vaporware. They have a website for it. Dual makes car radios and incar gps systems. They have 2 Car radios with a Ipod touch doc's that will also give it GPS capabilities.

http://gpscradle.dualav.com/

PDF of the product http://gpscradle.dualav.com/pdfs/XGPS300_Fact Sheet.pdf

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
"Soon" . . . ;^)

The problem with the Tom Tom one is you can not use it with out it being plugged into the car charger. its has no battery and will not work with out power. I think the Magellan's GPS Car kit will be similar
So if you want to go geocaching or hiking (the geocaching iphone app ROCKS) Dual is the only option right now. still no word on when it will be released.

I doubt its vaporware. They have a website for it. Dual makes car radios and incar gps systems. They have 2 Car radios with a Ipod touch doc's that will also give it GPS capabilities.

http://gpscradle.dualav.com/

PDF of the product http://gpscradle.dualav.com/pdfs/XGPS300_Fact Sheet.pdf

I sent an e-mail to one of the names listed on their site, and got a nice
response today. Basically, sorry it didn't come out as planned in November,
but should be out before the end of December.

Stay tuned for further developments . . . ;^)

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Looks pretty cool. Wonder how you charge it though. I have a nice large external battery (IMP500), and I would like to be able to charge both the GPS and the iPod with it.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009

previsa

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Cool design but image looks very flat form the render would look cool if the mountains in the background where blurred and at a darker tone

Nexvick

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
3 weeks past due

WTF. Nearly 3 weeks from expected launch and not a word from Dual. Apparently they are tired of explaining themselves, because they wouldn't respond to an email I sent. Their website has gone from saying "[available in] late November" to "very soon". Not soon enough. TomTom and others are dropping their prices and are starting to look like better (or at least available) options. So much for having things ready by Christmas. Thanks Dual.

Mugwumper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
Temecula, CA
Nope, end of the year . . .

WTF. Nearly 3 weeks from expected launch and not a word from Dual. Apparently they are tired of explaining themselves, because they wouldn't respond to an email I sent. Their website has gone from saying "[available in] late November" to "very soon". Not soon enough. TomTom and others are dropping their prices and are starting to look like better (or at least available) options. So much for having things ready by Christmas. Thanks Dual.

See my post above - not ready until the end of the year. I hope . . .

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Where the crap is this thing? Stupid Dual. Their products don't actually have the best reputation and I'm starting to wonder if they jumped the gun on this and found some kind of defect in the GPS cradle that precluded them from being able to release it.

ronster22

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
I really wanted GPS to be added to the 3rd gen iPod Touch...hopefully this comes out sometime...

I want to use it as a golf rangefinder...

bonehead1491

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Supposedly Feb 1st

Emailed dual to find out what the delay was, response was as follows:

Sorry for the slow response – I’ve been out of the country over the holidays.

The GPS Cradle will be available February 1st. The delay has been due to the approval process – this took far longer than we had anticipated. However, that is complete and the product is moving through the supply chain now.

Hope this helps!

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Emailed dual to find out what the delay was, response was as follows:

Sorry for the slow response – I’ve been out of the country over the holidays.

The GPS Cradle will be available February 1st. The delay has been due to the approval process – this took far longer than we had anticipated. However, that is complete and the product is moving through the supply chain now.

Hope this helps!

I'll probably cost $200 or something, so who cares anyway I guess. :(

ronster22

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2009
I'll probably cost $200 or something, so who cares anyway I guess. :(

Ya the rumored list price is supposed to be ~$180...yeesh.

$299 (32GB) + $180 = $479...ouch.

Better still, a gps that's more than half the price of a iPod Touch 3G. If it was around a hundred, maybe.

Nexvick

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2009
Date changed once again!

I, too, have emailed Dual. First, they said look for it to be available by mid January. Then it was the 1st of February. Now they're saying the end of February. I hope the most recent update is the last. Still, the XGPS300 appears to be better than the TomTom or Magellan solutions since it's a portable system. I just wish it would get here already. I've already downloaded the NavAtlas app. That was a headache. I have an 8 GB itouch, and apparently you have to have 5-6 GB available in order to download the app (odd since the description says it's a 2 GB app). The actual file size of the app appears to be about 3 GB. Had to uncheck everything, download the app, and then recheck a few things that I wanted back on the itouch. A tedious process for an app when you can't even preview the interface prior to purchasing the hardware. I think I'll wait for reviews before I actually buy the device. Who knows? it could be a flop. Let's hope not.

EXEC1337

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
often emailed with Dual Electronics

want to share some informations about the xgps300
i hope its ok to quote one-on-one dual electronics

december

We will have a model available in Germany early next year. We are completing the necessary regulatory certifications for the EU now.

Unfortunately, though, there is no TMC receiver in the GPS Cradle.

The product will be available in the US in about 2 weeks. It will be available from Amazon.com.

january

The approval process took much longer than we had originally anticipated. However, manufacturing is underway and the product will launch in the US on February 1st. It will be available in Europe in late March.

Yes, there will be a European map option for NavAtlas when the product becomes available in Germany. However, there is no problem using a navigation app from a different company. I recently tested both the European TomTom and Navigon apps and both work fine with the GPS Cradle.

The speaker on the Cradle is louder then the iPhone speaker, but comparable in quality.

You can use the headphone output on the Cradle for the best sound quality. The car mount also has a 3.5mm audio output for connecting to an AUX input on a car stereo.

Yes, the windshield mount is included.
answer of the question "is the 1st Februar still the releasedate of the XGPS300?"
No, it will be more toward the middle of the month.

This time the delay is related to logistics, and the how the product will be released. That’s cryptic, I know, but it’s all I can say for now.

PS: newest information about the releasedate:
click

PPS: The website was even down for few minutes and got now some little updates

best regards, pascal

EDIT

reading the "new" FAQ (see last PPS) turned out that maybe the cradle will not available at amazon.com

Q: Where can I buy it?
A: The XGPS300 will be available online in February.

previously they said it will be available at amazon.com

rconnor

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
Last day in February...

Well today is the 28th and still no word on the availability of the Dual XGPS300:mad:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
Well today is the 28th and still no word on the availability of the Dual XGPS300:mad:

You noticed that huh? :D

3 and a half months and still waiting. How long before I finally get a chance to use Navigon on my iPod? How long Dual? HOW LOOOOOONG!?!??!?!111*dies*

rconnor

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
Giving up on Dual...

I'm giving up on Dual coming out with their unit. I've contacted them a few times with no response. I just can't trust a company that doesn't reply to their potential customers, nor do I trust a company that gives false hope in a product.

I'm going to buy the TomTom car kit for the iPod Touch and use it with the Navigon app. It may not be what Dual is offering, but at least I won't have to wait another 3 months or more for it.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
The problem is them being the only company offering a solution of this type for the iPod (unless you count the module that requires a jailbroken iPod and some technical savvy). If other companies would get into this market as well I'm sure it would have lit a fire under Dual's butt balls. Ah well.

DualElectronics

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
update on the XGPS300

My name is Greg, and I work for Dual. Someone just pointed out this thread to me (thanks Ray!), so I thought I would volunteer to answer questions.

MacRumors forum rules require commercial promotion (which I guess this could be considered) be restricted to the App Store forum, so I've started a thread over there to respond to any questions.

Thanks,
Greg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.