PDA

View Full Version : iPod sharing music?

ScotRobson
Aug 1, 2004, 12:48 PM
Hi all

I recently set up a seperate user account for my partner, thanks to everyone that helped with that!

I set up iTunes so that we could share each others music (some of the same things we like!) without having to rip a cd to both user accounts.

I need to know if there is a way when he is updating his iPod if he can put some of my music onto his iPod aswell? and vice versa.

Many thanks
Scot

jared_kipe
Aug 1, 2004, 02:45 PM
He can probably just make a playlist with the music he wants and drag/drop it onto his ipod in itunes.

ScotRobson
Aug 1, 2004, 02:58 PM
He can probably just make a playlist with the music he wants and drag/drop it onto his ipod in itunes.

I can't drag any music from my list to his library - it shows as "scots shared music" as a seperate playlist and you cant drag anything from there.

ScotRobson
Aug 2, 2004, 09:50 AM
Anyone?

ScotRobson
Aug 5, 2004, 09:46 AM
Anyone?

hmm first time on macrumors ive not sorted out my problem - someone must be able to help - is my thread hidden from everyone? :)

robbieduncan
Aug 5, 2004, 10:16 AM
You can only sync music to the iPod from your own library, not from a shared one. If you were to give him read access to the files in question he could add them to his Library (2 accounts on 1 computer?) and it would all be sorted.

ScotRobson
Aug 5, 2004, 10:18 AM
You can only sync music to the iPod from your own library, not from a shared one. If you were to give him read access to the files in question he could add them to his Library (2 accounts on 1 computer?) and it would all be sorted.

Cool thanks - so how do i give him read access? there are no limits set up for his account and yeah 2 accounts on 1 computer

Thanks
Scot

robbieduncan
Aug 5, 2004, 10:24 AM
It's all going to get Unixy! File permissions (if you look from the terminal at least) look something like:

-rw-r--r--

The first character will be a d if it's a directory and a - otherwise. The you have three sets of rwx (of which any of the letters can be a -).

r=read
w=write
x=executable
-=not set (i.e. rw- = read,write,no execute)

The first set are for the file owner. The second set is for the group and the third is for the "world". If you have the files owned by a group that you are both in the group permissions would be OK. As you are in a non-networked environment (more or less) giving world read persmissions is pretty safe. You can probably do this from the Finder, but you can also do it from the Terminal:

Open Terminal and type:
cd Music[return]
chmod -R a+r *

And wait a little while.

To add them to iTunes browse to your user folder then through Music to the files.