PDA

View Full Version : Can i upgrade an iBook G4 from OS X to Leopard

MulgaBill
Nov 21, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have a iBook G4 that is currently running OS X Ver 10.3.2. It has an 800Mhz Power PC processor with 256MB of RAM.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade from 10.3.2 to Tiger or Leopard?

Bennieboy©
Nov 21, 2009, 08:31 PM
tiger would be the better option, if you could get leopard running on those specs it'd be very slow,

apple lists the minimum specs as a 867Mhz cpu and a bit more ram then you've got,

MulgaBill
Nov 21, 2009, 08:37 PM
Bennie Boy many thanks for the reposnse. Do you know if it's an issue installing Tiger with a G4 processor.

Some have suggested that it won't be possible. i.e. You need an Intel processor.

1ofthedavids
Nov 21, 2009, 08:40 PM
Bennie Boy many thanks for the reposnse. Do you know if it's an issue installing Tiger with a G4 processor.

Some have suggested that it won't be possible. i.e. You need an Intel processor.

The people who suggested that are full of crap. Tiger very much supports PowerPC based Macs, so you wouldn't have a problem on a G4. Tiger WAS the first version of OS X that supported Intel at a certain point, but there's no issue installing it on a supported PowerPC based Mac. Your G4 will work fine.

SkyBell
Nov 21, 2009, 08:41 PM

Unless you manage to get one of the grey restore discs from an Intel machine, it will install just fine.

Bennieboy©
Nov 21, 2009, 08:41 PM
not for leopard, leopard will work on a PPC processor, the last version was 10.5.8 it's only 10.6 that requires intel architecture ;)

you could get a program called leopard assist (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26562)
but it's not always guaranteed to work, and if it does, you will need to top the ram up by at least another 512Mb stick for it do work comfortably ;)

MulgaBill
Nov 21, 2009, 08:43 PM
1ofthedavids many thanks for the clarification. The people as it turns out were the "Geniuses" at the Apple store in Sydney.

MulgaBill
Nov 21, 2009, 09:14 PM
All, many thanks for the help. I have been trying to find get a copy of OS X 10.4.0 to download. It doesn't seem to appear on the Apple website. They have 10.4.1 and every subsequent version but not 10.4.0.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of 10.4.0?

SkyBell
Nov 21, 2009, 09:16 PM
All, many thanks for the help. I have been trying to find get a copy of OS X 10.4.0 to download. It doesn't seem to appear on the Apple website. They have 10.4.1 and every subsequent version but not 10.4.0.

You probably need to get a copy off of eBay or something.

MulgaBill
Nov 21, 2009, 09:22 PM
Cassie, hadn't thought of that, many thanks.

Pity it isn't on the Apple website.

mrsir2009
Nov 21, 2009, 10:14 PM
It would run, but not very well on a iBook G4. The iBook is the base model at the time, so today it isn't that great. Tiger would be better on it:D

California
Nov 22, 2009, 03:27 AM
I have a Tiger install DVD. Let me know if you want it.

Also buy a 1 gig chip of ram for your computer and put it in. I think it takes PC 2700 ram. Also, you should think about putting either a 160, 250 or 320 gig ATA IDE PATA hard drive in there. (NOT an SATA drive.) Your old thirty gig has got to be slowing things down.

MulgaBill
Nov 22, 2009, 06:07 AM
California,

Many thanks for the offer. Would love to get a copy of the DVD. How much?

Also many thanks for the advice on upgrading memory and hard drive.

Buzzworms
Nov 22, 2009, 11:19 AM
I believe your iBook G4 uses PC2100 DDR ram - all the pre-'05 G4 iBooks came w/ PC2100 ram. I have an unused PC2100 module if you're interested. Bvipers@aol.com

spinnerlys
Nov 22, 2009, 11:24 AM

Those are updates and not actual working OS downloads for users to install as a new OS.
Mac OS X Tiger went from 10.4.0 to 10.4.11, so whatever you can get your hands on, will work. There is no need to get 10.4.0 specifically.

skye12
Nov 22, 2009, 11:37 AM
Good luck. A lot of the older OS discs were designed for specific models. I don't think they universally work on any old Mac model. I had an old G4 ibook and just got tired of fighting the lack of support for all kinds of software. Was also getting mighty slow.

Its time to switch to an Intel MB. Some of the older ones aren't that expensive.

MulgaBill
Nov 22, 2009, 08:04 PM
Buzzworms, spinnerlys and skye12,

Many thanks for your input. I keep telling my wife to buy a new laptop as it would make my life easier, but ...

Eric S.
Nov 22, 2009, 08:19 PM

eBay (make sure you get a full retail version) or you can try one of the sources listed here:

http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-mac-os-x-tiger-prices.html

Once you install any version of 10.4 you can run Software Update to bring it up to 10.4.11.

eRondeau
Nov 22, 2009, 08:22 PM
Don't even bother with Leopard, your machine is much too slow. I recently "downgraded" my 1.0GHz iBook G4 from Leopard back to Tiger because Leopard was basically unusable on it. And if you're going to even try Tiger, you'll need more RAM -- minimum 512KB, better 640KB or 768KB. But why don't you just run Software Update and hop up to 10.3.9 (from 10.3.2)? The final update of OS X 10.3 is very stable and will still allow you do run a lot of new software for no extra cost.

I have several G3/G4 Mac's and although I hate to say it, it is hard to justify spending more $$$ on them when you can buy used Intel Mac's for very reasonable prices.

MulgaBill
Nov 23, 2009, 04:52 AM
eRondeau & Eric S.,

Many thanks. I have just purchased 1 Gb of RAM and am watching a copy of OS X 10.4 on eBay. It appears to be the full retail version.

Just wondering if someone could have a quick look and let me know what they think.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270487516389&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

spinnerlys
Nov 23, 2009, 06:29 AM
eRondeau & Eric S.,

Many thanks. I have just purchased 1 Gb of RAM and am watching a copy of OS X 10.4 on eBay. It appears to be the full retail version.

Just wondering if someone could have a quick look and let me know what they think.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270487516389&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It seems to be the right deal, but that is one steep price.

Eric S.
Nov 23, 2009, 10:01 AM
It seems to be the right deal, but that is one steep price.

It does seem a little high for eBay (although I don't know about Australia), but not really out of line with what you would pay commercially.

mscriv
Nov 23, 2009, 10:30 AM
Don't even bother with Leopard, your machine is much too slow. I recently "downgraded" my 1.0GHz iBook G4 from Leopard back to Tiger because Leopard was basically unusable on it.

I run Leopard on a G4 iBook with a 1.2GHz processor without any noticeable slow down. I'm surprised the .2 GHz would make that much of a difference. Now for the OP, I'm not sure I would advise it at 800MHz.

MulgaBill, I'm going to assume that your wife is just doing basic stuff on the laptop and for that type of use the upgrade to 1gig of ram and the addition of Tiger will be great.

MulgaBill
Nov 23, 2009, 07:59 PM
Eric S., spinnerlys & mscriv,

Many thanks for the response and advice.

mscriv your right my wife really only uses the Internet and eMail.

California
Nov 24, 2009, 01:43 AM
PM me I can surely beat that astronomical price for Tiger on ebay.

Also, just for everyone's information, I know that the older iBooks and even older Powerbooks of that generation originally took PC2100 ram. However ram is backwards compatible. PC2700 ram will work just fine. In fact, PC3200 laptop ram worked perfect on my iBook 1.42ghz when I had it. It's backwards compatible, meaning 2100 ram will not work on the later revisions of the iBooks...

Anyway, that said, I do have a retail disc of Tiger. PM me before you throw money away on that ebay deal.

Also, if you really want to get fancy, throw a 320gb 5400 rpm hard drive (biggest they make for the iBooks) in there. I have one on my G4 12" Powerbook. It truly increases the speed with the upgraded ram. Bigger faster hard drives speed up your computer, as does the ram. Later, if you want to sell your iBook, put the old drive back in and keep the new hard drive.

And if you want to REALLY get fancy, as I have on many an iBook, drop a dvd burning superdrive in it. I have a used one I'll throw in for a few bucks if you buy the tiger disc.

MulgaBill
Nov 24, 2009, 02:53 AM
California, many thanks. Have just sent a PM.

harmyharm
Nov 25, 2009, 12:00 PM
Yah you can

MulgaBill
Nov 26, 2009, 02:09 AM
Harmyharm, many thanks.

snakeplissken13
Dec 18, 2010, 01:58 AM
Hey guys, im picking up an ibook G4 for my gf. I think its 933mhz , osx 10.3.9. 256mb ram, 40gb hd. Model A1055. I want to upgrade the memory to 1gb and install leopard.

Might have to take it to a mac tech guy, so i can get leopard installed. Install disc seems pretty expensive on ebay! I have snow leopard, but i know that will not run on an ibook. I guess what im really wondering here is, will i need to do a firmware update first?

I am kind of a new mac user here, made the switch about 3 years ago and will never go back! All started with a macmini and now this year i bought a new white macbook. Turned my gf onto macs and now she loves them.

This ibook will be her Christmas present and her first mac. Any info would be much appreciated! Thx!!!

California
Dec 18, 2010, 03:04 AM
Hey guys, im picking up an ibook G4 for my gf. I think its 933mhz , osx 10.3.9. 256mb ram, 40gb hd. Model A1055. I want to upgrade the memory to 1gb and install leopard.

Might have to take it to a mac tech guy, so i can get leopard installed. Install disc seems pretty expensive on ebay! I have snow leopard, but i know that will not run on an ibook. I guess what im really wondering here is, will i need to do a firmware update first?

I am kind of a new mac user here, made the switch about 3 years ago and will never go back! All started with a macmini and now this year i bought a new white macbook. Turned my gf onto macs and now she loves them.

This ibook will be her Christmas present and her first mac. Any info would be much appreciated! Thx!!!

First of all, i hope you did not pay that much for this. If I am remembering correctly, you must be buying a 14" 933mhz iBook G4? This is a 2003 year computer.

If possible, try to get the last revision iBook 14" which was a 1.42ghz machine or the 12" ibook g4 1.33ghz.

They had USB 2.0
Sudden Motion Sensor
Scrolling Trackpad
Bluetooth 2.0
Airport Extreme

built in. Plus the last revision iBook G4s had 512mb ram built in on the computer, so you can upgrade to a large total of 1.5gb of ram.

The 933mhz ibook is too old for my taste. However, if you did buy it, make sure it comes with a new or newer upgraded hard drive, because the original hard drive will be a goner by now, and has ram maxed out, and the optical drive works well. Also make sure it has an airport card installed. I do not believe they came equipped with an installed card.

It should run Leopard ok. But you will not have any of the above features.

I would not pay more than 115 dollars for a 933mhz iBook G4.

snakeplissken13
Dec 20, 2010, 12:57 AM
First of all, i hope you did not pay that much for this. If I am remembering correctly, you must be buying a 14" 933mhz iBook G4? This is a 2003 year computer.

If possible, try to get the last revision iBook 14" which was a 1.42ghz machine or the 12" ibook g4 1.33ghz.

They had USB 2.0
Sudden Motion Sensor
Scrolling Trackpad
Bluetooth 2.0
Airport Extreme

built in. Plus the last revision iBook G4s had 512mb ram built in on the computer, so you can upgrade to a large total of 1.5gb of ram.

The 933mhz ibook is too old for my taste. However, if you did buy it, make sure it comes with a new or newer upgraded hard drive, because the original hard drive will be a goner by now, and has ram maxed out, and the optical drive works well. Also make sure it has an airport card installed. I do not believe they came equipped with an installed card.

It should run Leopard ok. But you will not have any of the above features.

I would not pay more than 115 dollars for a 933mhz iBook G4.

Yea, this one comes with airport extreme and has 2.0 usb. I tried looking for 1.42ghz ibooks and they were kinda outta my price range. The 993mhz was around $180 with shipping, i thought it was a decent deal considering what they were going for. It wasnt a refurbished one either. It looks brand new, the seller took real good care of it.

I did try and find one on craigslist and just for a 1.2ghz, they wanted $400 for it! I also didnt realize how much ibooks were when they first came out, $1500?

I will be putting in 1gb of memory and installing leopard. How much of a difference would i see in speed if i wouldve gotten say a 1.33ghz? This ibook will be used for surfing the internet, downloading music, storing pics, youtube and maybe some music programs like garage band. Hope it will do the job alright.

Do i need to do a firmware update before i install leopard? Thx for your help too! I appreciate it, :)

eRondeau
Dec 20, 2010, 06:37 AM
Do i need to do a firmware update before i install leopard? Thx for your help too! I appreciate it, :)

Firmware updates were very, very rare back then. It should not be necessary as long as the current owner has kept it reasonably up-to-date. But I'll warn you, you'll be disappointed with its overall performance. (I backed my 1GHz from Leopard back to Tiger because Leopard was so slow.) Yes it will work, but it won't be terribly happy about it. Now replacing the 4200rpm HD with a SSD, that might be an interesting project... but your system bus is still 1/10th as fast as modern speeds.

snakeplissken13
Dec 20, 2010, 01:16 PM
Firmware updates were very, very rare back then. It should not be necessary as long as the current owner has kept it reasonably up-to-date. But I'll warn you, you'll be disappointed with its overall performance. (I backed my 1GHz from Leopard back to Tiger because Leopard was so slow.) Yes it will work, but it won't be terribly happy about it. Now replacing the 4200rpm HD with a SSD, that might be an interesting project... but your system bus is still 1/10th as fast as modern speeds.

Ok, thanks! Its running panther now, maybe i should just go to tiger then if leopard runs that slow. Even with 1gb memory itll still run that slow? I have a 2.26ghz macbook and love this thing! the ibook looks alot like it.

snakeplissken13
Dec 20, 2010, 04:20 PM

Well, i think i will cancel the 933mhz ibook g4 and get the 1.2ghz one with tiger os installed for same price. its refurbished, but oh well. so youre saying i should replace the hard drive?

cocacolakid
Dec 20, 2010, 05:56 PM
Well, i think i will cancel the 933mhz ibook g4 and get the 1.2ghz one with tiger os installed for same price. its refurbished, but oh well. so youre saying i should replace the hard drive?

I don't know who you are considering ordering from but check out Wegener Media (http://wegenermedia.com/), they have a great reputation and good prices.

snakeplissken13
Dec 20, 2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know who you are considering ordering from but check out Wegener Media (http://wegenermedia.com/), they have a great reputation and good prices.

Hey thx alot for the heads up. They do have a pretty good deal on there for $199. 1.33ghz ibook g4, its grade c though. 60 day warranty too. just dont wanna get one thats all banged up. not sure how bad of shape it would be in.

cocacolakid
Dec 20, 2010, 06:52 PM
Hey thx alot for the heads up. They do have a pretty good deal on there for $199. 1.33ghz ibook g4, its grade c though. 60 day warranty too. just dont wanna get one thats all banged up. not sure how bad of shape it would be in.

They claim their "B" grade are roughly the same as most other seller's rate "A" grade. I'm not sure if I would do a "C" unless I was really hard up for cash. But the guys at LowEndMac rave about that company. They have some other nice deals too, although their website isn't the easiest to navigate (but that makes it kind of fun). But whatever you get, from whomever you buy from, the first thing you should do is max out the RAM.

snakeplissken13
Dec 20, 2010, 11:58 PM
They claim their "B" grade are roughly the same as most other seller's rate "A" grade. I'm not sure if I would do a "C" unless I was really hard up for cash. But the guys at LowEndMac rave about that company. They have some other nice deals too, although their website isn't the easiest to navigate (but that makes it kind of fun). But whatever you get, from whomever you buy from, the first thing you should do is max out the RAM.

well, i did notice some complaints on here about them so im not too sure about them. they do have some alright deals. doesnt say anywhere on there if it comes with tiger or leopard installed.

anyone know about this?

mabaker
Dec 21, 2010, 05:11 AM
I have the same exact iBook model as you do, OP.

Running Leopard respectably. Especially the last update Apple brought to the house made a huge performance difference.

Oh, and yes - I indeed watched some flash movies on it and as long as they’re properly encoded play just fine with flash 10.1 installed.

Also consider upgrading to Leopard since it features Safari 5 which then again has the amazing Ad-block extension (far superior to the plug in nature of its Safari 4’s counterpart).

snakeplissken13
Dec 21, 2010, 02:34 PM
I have the same exact iBook model as you do, OP.

Running Leopard respectably. Especially the last update Apple brought to the house made a huge performance difference.

Oh, and yes - I indeed watched some flash movies on it and as long as they’re properly encoded play just fine with flash 10.1 installed.

Also consider upgrading to Leopard since it features Safari 5 which then again has the amazing Ad-block extension (far superior to the plug in nature of its Safari 4’s counterpart).

Really, thx! Are you talking about the 933mhz or the 1.33ghz? After doing much research, ive decided to send back the 14in 933mhz with 256mb, panther installed, to the seller and purchased a 12in 1.33ghz with 1gb of ram, leopard installed for $214.

Hope i made the right choice, as i only ended up paying around $30 more for the 1.33ghz ibook. Anyone ever hear of beta-macs sales, they are on amazon and ebay. They seem ok with decent prices, mostly satisfied customers from what i can see that purchased the same ibooks.

tehtarek
Dec 24, 2010, 04:42 AM
I had changed a hdd on an old ibook g4, but i somehow screwed up the superdrive in the process. i now want to learn how to install osx on it via a thumbdrive or through an external harddisK?

My problem is that i dont have another mac to work with, only a win7 intel box. I formatted the flashdrive using macdrive7, but it wont let me burn the iso to a flashdrive. (or am i missing something)

Any ideas would be much appreciated