Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MulgaBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Sydney
I have a iBook G4 that is currently running OS X Ver 10.3.2. It has an 800Mhz Power PC processor with 256MB of RAM.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade from 10.3.2 to Tiger or Leopard?

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
tiger would be the better option, if you could get leopard running on those specs it'd be very slow,

apple lists the minimum specs as a 867Mhz cpu and a bit more ram then you've got,

MulgaBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Sydney
Bennie Boy many thanks for the reposnse. Do you know if it's an issue installing Tiger with a G4 processor.

Some have suggested that it won't be possible. i.e. You need an Intel processor.

1ofthedavids

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
Bennie Boy many thanks for the reposnse. Do you know if it's an issue installing Tiger with a G4 processor.

Some have suggested that it won't be possible. i.e. You need an Intel processor.

The people who suggested that are full of crap. Tiger very much supports PowerPC based Macs, so you wouldn't have a problem on a G4. Tiger WAS the first version of OS X that supported Intel at a certain point, but there's no issue installing it on a supported PowerPC based Mac. Your G4 will work fine.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.

Unless you manage to get one of the grey restore discs from an Intel machine, it will install just fine.

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
not for leopard, leopard will work on a PPC processor, the last version was 10.5.8 it's only 10.6 that requires intel architecture ;)

you could get a program called leopard assist
but it's not always guaranteed to work, and if it does, you will need to top the ram up by at least another 512Mb stick for it do work comfortably ;)

MulgaBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Sydney
1ofthedavids many thanks for the clarification. The people as it turns out were the "Geniuses" at the Apple store in Sydney.

MulgaBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Sydney
All, many thanks for the help. I have been trying to find get a copy of OS X 10.4.0 to download. It doesn't seem to appear on the Apple website. They have 10.4.1 and every subsequent version but not 10.4.0.

Does anyone know where I can get a copy of 10.4.0?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
All, many thanks for the help. I have been trying to find get a copy of OS X 10.4.0 to download. It doesn't seem to appear on the Apple website. They have 10.4.1 and every subsequent version but not 10.4.0.

You probably need to get a copy off of eBay or something.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I have a Tiger install DVD. Let me know if you want it.

Also buy a 1 gig chip of ram for your computer and put it in. I think it takes PC 2700 ram. Also, you should think about putting either a 160, 250 or 320 gig ATA IDE PATA hard drive in there. (NOT an SATA drive.) Your old thirty gig has got to be slowing things down.

MulgaBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Sydney
California,

Many thanks for the offer. Would love to get a copy of the DVD. How much?

Also many thanks for the advice on upgrading memory and hard drive.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen

Those are updates and not actual working OS downloads for users to install as a new OS.
Mac OS X Tiger went from 10.4.0 to 10.4.11, so whatever you can get your hands on, will work. There is no need to get 10.4.0 specifically.

skye12

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2006
Austin, Tx
Good luck. A lot of the older OS discs were designed for specific models. I don't think they universally work on any old Mac model. I had an old G4 ibook and just got tired of fighting the lack of support for all kinds of software. Was also getting mighty slow.

Its time to switch to an Intel MB. Some of the older ones aren't that expensive.

MulgaBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Sydney
Buzzworms, spinnerlys and skye12,

Many thanks for your input. I keep telling my wife to buy a new laptop as it would make my life easier, but ...

eRondeau

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2004
Canada's South Coast
Don't even bother with Leopard, your machine is much too slow. I recently "downgraded" my 1.0GHz iBook G4 from Leopard back to Tiger because Leopard was basically unusable on it. And if you're going to even try Tiger, you'll need more RAM -- minimum 512KB, better 640KB or 768KB. But why don't you just run Software Update and hop up to 10.3.9 (from 10.3.2)? The final update of OS X 10.3 is very stable and will still allow you do run a lot of new software for no extra cost.

I have several G3/G4 Mac's and although I hate to say it, it is hard to justify spending more $$$ on them when you can buy used Intel Mac's for very reasonable prices.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Don't even bother with Leopard, your machine is much too slow. I recently "downgraded" my 1.0GHz iBook G4 from Leopard back to Tiger because Leopard was basically unusable on it.

I run Leopard on a G4 iBook with a 1.2GHz processor without any noticeable slow down. I'm surprised the .2 GHz would make that much of a difference. Now for the OP, I'm not sure I would advise it at 800MHz.

MulgaBill, I'm going to assume that your wife is just doing basic stuff on the laptop and for that type of use the upgrade to 1gig of ram and the addition of Tiger will be great.

MulgaBill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 21, 2009
Sydney
Eric S., spinnerlys & mscriv,

Many thanks for the response and advice.

mscriv your right my wife really only uses the Internet and eMail.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
PM me I can surely beat that astronomical price for Tiger on ebay.

Also, just for everyone's information, I know that the older iBooks and even older Powerbooks of that generation originally took PC2100 ram. However ram is backwards compatible. PC2700 ram will work just fine. In fact, PC3200 laptop ram worked perfect on my iBook 1.42ghz when I had it. It's backwards compatible, meaning 2100 ram will not work on the later revisions of the iBooks...

Anyway, that said, I do have a retail disc of Tiger. PM me before you throw money away on that ebay deal.

Also, if you really want to get fancy, throw a 320gb 5400 rpm hard drive (biggest they make for the iBooks) in there. I have one on my G4 12" Powerbook. It truly increases the speed with the upgraded ram. Bigger faster hard drives speed up your computer, as does the ram. Later, if you want to sell your iBook, put the old drive back in and keep the new hard drive.

And if you want to REALLY get fancy, as I have on many an iBook, drop a dvd burning superdrive in it. I have a used one I'll throw in for a few bucks if you buy the tiger disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.