PDA

View Full Version : iBook Superdrive would not take in a CD- need advice

flyfish29
Aug 2, 2004, 11:22 AM
My wife has a brand new iBook G4 (four weeks old) and yesterday while importing some CD's into iTunes it stopped accepting CD's into the superdrive. I tunes crashed once and had to force quit while it was importing a song. I restarted iTunes and it happened again so I assume the song had a scratch in the middle of the cd. It was in poor shape.

Anyway, I tried to import another cd and the computer would not take the cd into the drive...it would go in, but the drive mechanism wasn't taking it into the drive. I could push it almost all the way in and nothing happend. I barely left enought of the Cd hanging out of the drive to remove it with my fingertips. I was going to restart the computer and a transparent window came up with the message "you will have to restart your computer by holding down the power key for...." or something like that...it was in five languages. ;)

I restarted but it still didn't work.

Later I had the computer off and I tapped the power button a few times and I heard a pop (like a lever had flipped or something) and when the computer booked up the CD drive worked fine.

Anyone else have this happen? should I return to apple to get it looked at...since it is working fine now I don't know what they would or could do?

Thanks,

jared_kipe
Aug 2, 2004, 01:08 PM
Is it just audio cds? Try booting off of the hardware test.

flyfish29
Aug 2, 2004, 01:25 PM
Is it just audio cds? Try booting off of the hardware test.

It was the mechanism that pulls the Cd into the drive that wasn't working- it wasn't taking the cd in and spitting it back out...it just wouldn't take it in at all.

It would not have mattered what kind of disc I was putting in, it wouln't grab the disc and pull it in-

However, would the hardware test cd help me test the mechanism that pulls in the cd? Of course it is working now so I doubt it would come up as broken or defective.

Any help would be appreciated!

mpopkin
Aug 2, 2004, 01:35 PM
hey flyfish,
since the drive mechanism is working now, i would assume that it is not the drive mechanism that is broken, some discs just have problems especially with scratches, it may have been a self protecting error to prevent any further errors? but just take it to a apple store to have it looked at with the disc that caused the problem, they can tell you what is wrong

It was the mechanism that pulls the Cd into the drive that wasn't working- it wasn't taking the cd in and spitting it back out...it just wouldn't take it in at all.

It would not have mattered what kind of disc I was putting in, it wouln't grab the disc and pull it in-

However, would the hardware test cd help me test the mechanism that pulls in the cd? Of course it is working now so I doubt it would come up as broken or defective.

Any help would be appreciated!

parrothead
Aug 2, 2004, 02:58 PM
I had various problems with the drive on my Tibook 500. Sometimes it would get testy and not take a cd in. Usually I would grab a blank CD (in case it gets ruined) and push it all the way in the drive past where I could pull it out. Usually it seemed to wake the drive up and it would work. This problem happened for me mostly when I was trying to import a really scratched up CD. It also happened on an external CD-RW drive I used. If a burn failed or the CD was scratched the drive would freeze up and wouldn't recognize or eject any discs until I had unplugged it and reset it. So it is possible that there is some bug in the CD control firmware or software that causes this. No problems yet on my new Albook.