PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning eMac Screen

sockeatingdryer
Aug 2, 2004, 01:49 PM
Sometimes I think I ask more questions than a newb. :p

To other eMac owners (or ppl in the know):
How do you clean your screen without any streaks? I just use wet paper towels and dry with a soft cloth. But I can't stop the streaks. They're not visible when the display's on, but it's annoying when it's off.

windowsblowsass
Aug 2, 2004, 02:57 PM
windex.

works for me

musicpyrite
Aug 2, 2004, 03:02 PM
windex.

works for me

Windex and some soft paper towels.

And when you clean the screen, be sure to spry the stuff on the paper towels and then wipe the screen. Try not to do what I did and spray the screen. :o

neoelectronaut
Aug 2, 2004, 03:15 PM
Heh, yeah, I sprayed the screen once.. I hope the runoff didn't mess anything up. :P

MrSugar
Aug 2, 2004, 04:44 PM
I have heard Windex breaks down the scratch coating of displays... I NEVER USE it as I have had this expirience first hand... I always use plain water or minimaly soapy water and a white coton cloth.

After G
Aug 2, 2004, 04:51 PM
actually i just use an eyeglass cloth - no liquids and the display is nice and clean afterwards.

FuzzyBallz
Aug 2, 2004, 05:13 PM
Get the 12" Notebook ScreensavRz by Radtech.us, add water and start rubbing. No chemical, no trash, no streak.

Horrortaxi
Aug 2, 2004, 06:22 PM
Urine.

I don't know why I said that--too many Steve O DVDs I guess.

Do not use glass cleaner such as Windex. The ammonia in it will damage the screen. Also, don't use paper towels because they're abrasive. Cleaners that are alcohol-based are okay. Wipe with a soft cloth. The same goes for eyeglasses.

Any electronics store will sell screen cleaner. Use that and something very soft--like those microfiber cloths or an eyeglass cloth--and you'll get good results.

sockeatingdryer
Aug 2, 2004, 06:52 PM
I used Windex the first time, but I sprayed it on the paper towel; but nothing much has happened. I noticed a water-like pattern, but I think that's from the cleaning I had just done.

I didn't use Windex again after reading "don't use Windex," so I need to find a good, non-streak cleaner.

neoelectronaut
Aug 2, 2004, 07:06 PM
Urine.

I don't know why I said that--too many Steve O DVDs I guess.

Do not use glass cleaner such as Windex. The ammonia in it will damage the screen. Also, don't use paper towels because they're abrasive. Cleaners that are alcohol-based are okay. Wipe with a soft cloth. The same goes for eyeglasses.

Any electronics store will sell screen cleaner. Use that and something very soft--like those microfiber cloths or an eyeglass cloth--and you'll get good results.

Wonderful. I may have potentially damaged my screen.

Kingsnapped
Aug 2, 2004, 07:26 PM
Wonderful. I may have potentially damaged my screen.

Don't be too hard on yourself. A spritz of Windex isn't going to blow holes in your eMac. Just spend the premium on cleaning chemicals and it'll all be okay. Personally, I use iKlear (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71408/wo/aL44OZZT8Mjl26n9USJ2ENv9Kbv/2.3.0.6.10).