Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 20, 2008
My family wants to know what to get me for Christmas, and since there's nothing that stands out I want to give Apple TV a shot. I'm not sure if this would be a bad time since there hasn't been a hardware update since the device's introduction. Would you buy one now?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
I've been on the fence and hoping for some kind of update.

I have a TV in the living room and hope to put one in the kitchen. I don't subscribe to cable or satellite and I do purchase some TV shows from the iTunes store. I have just recently begun renting the iTunes "99 cent movie of the week".

It would be nice to be able to put these TV shows and rented movies on the big screen without having to move my computer. I see that there are a lot of different options out there as alternatives to Apple TV -- like the PS3 or Xbox, or a Mac running Plex or Front Row. Even Dell's new Zino HD device looks like a contender.

I really want to be able to watch those shows from iTunes which seems to rule out anything other than Apple TV or a Mac. But I hear that Apple TV runs hot and sometimes has trouble decoding 720p. The hardware inside it is kind of old, too. If Apple were to come out with an updated version that did smooth 720p without straining itself -- even 1080p -- I'd feel much better about plunking down money. In fact, I'm ready to buy two -- one for each TV.

If anyone has suggestions on alternate setups, I'd be happy to hear them.

SurfMacJpMtb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
USA
a hardware update is overdue but none of us know when it will occur

the next opportunity for an announcement would most likely be January

why not get the refurb 40 gig for $150 and start accessing your iTunes library from your TV now!!!

if you are comfortable opening up electronic boxes then later you can upgrade the hard drive to a 320 gig

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
It's disgusting how Apple has neglected this product. You would think an update would have been perfect around the time of the new Mini but I guess we can all take a hint that Apple will discontinue it sooner or later. You should buy one anyway because it's more of a collector's item now.

I would get one because it's still a good player for 720 but not exactly future proof. Lately though I've been streaming stuff off my Xbox360 and PS3 more than the ATV.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
It's disgusting how Apple has neglected this product. You would think an update would have been perfect around the time of the new Mini but I guess we can all take a hint that Apple will discontinue it sooner or later. You should buy one anyway because it's more of a collector's item now.

I would get one because it's still a good player for 720 but not exactly future proof. Lately though I've been streaming stuff off my Xbox360 and PS3 more than the ATV.

i think it's obvious from apple that the new mini is an option for the appletv. i can't see how the atv will ever get updated now. the new mini is powerful enough to do everything the atv does and then some.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
i think it's obvious from apple that the new mini is an option for the appletv. i can't see how the atv will ever get updated now. the new mini is powerful enough to do everything the atv does and then some.

Using what software?

They need a Front Row update that matches the Apple TV feature set.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007

Indeed. I find it obnoxious that I can't rent HD movies on my Mini, even though the hardware is more than capable of displaying them. I kinda like the idea of AppleTV, but the device is clearly due to be discontinued or upgraded-- it can't gather dust forever.

You can't really complain- remember Steve was up front- apple TV is a hobby!

Uh huh. Well, Steve, if you can't be serious about supporting the device, I'm not sure I'll ever get serious about buying one.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
My family wants to know what to get me for Christmas, and since there's nothing that stands out I want to give Apple TV a shot. I'm not sure if this would be a bad time since there hasn't been a hardware update since the device's introduction. Would you buy one now?

My two cents:

I was on the fence last summer. I decided to pick one up on ebay, and paid about $30 more than a 40GB refurb is going for from Apple now.

I couldn't be happier. It does exactly what I need it to do - that is: stream my movies and music from my 24" core duo imac to my 50" plasma via 5Ghz wireless N.

Since figuring out the reboot problem (set your aTV to 720p, it's rock solid after that) i'm all smiles when I use it. The 3.0 menu update looks great, and makes getting to content easier.

My family is now completely hooked on immediate access to our movies - especially kids movies.

As an added bonus - the airtunes functionality allowed me to repurpose an airport express I was using to feed music to the living room stereo system.

As for being future proof - what is? I've got more than one TV in my house...i'm sure that if a compelling upgrade came along i'd get it based on how happy I am with this one, then the 40GB would go to the basement or bedroom and continue to do what it's doing now.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Lord yes. I was a big defender of ATV to begin with, but everybody else is passing Apple on this front. The PS3 and Xbox 360 have dropped in price and both stream Netflix. Blu-ray Disc players have plummeted in price and many stream from numerous sources -- mine from Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora and YouTube.

The ONLY thing Apple has going for it is about the only damn thing ATV does -- streaming iTunes content. I don't buy much non-music content on iTunes, and this is a main reason why. I can get Blu-ray Disc movies almost always for cheaper than the iTunes HD movies if I shop around. Considering that BDs are better quality and are more portable, ATV has much work to do.

dmm219

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Lord yes. I was a big defender of ATV to begin with, but everybody else is passing Apple on this front. The PS3 and Xbox 360 have dropped in price and both stream Netflix. Blu-ray Disc players have plummeted in price and many stream from numerous sources -- mine from Blockbuster, Netflix, Pandora and YouTube.

The ONLY thing Apple has going for it is about the only damn thing ATV does -- streaming iTunes content. I don't buy much non-music content on iTunes, and this is a main reason why. I can get Blu-ray Disc movies almost always for cheaper than the iTunes HD movies if I shop around. Considering that BDs are better quality and are more portable, ATV has much work to do.

I tend to agree. But I think Apple may want it to be this way. If and when they are able to get there 29.99 monthly Itunes subscription going, you will find that having a cheap, easy TV access to iTunes to be very desirable for a lot of people. Apple isn't focused on the ATV. They are focuses on iTunes. If they can pull this subscription service off, it will be quite a coup (and its a BIG IF). But as soon as people have easy access to the huge amount of near-real time tv content on iTunes, for less than cable or satellite service, a lot of people will be looking for an ATV to get that content on their TV's.

Apple is focusing on iTunes to eventually drive ATV sales, not the other way around...

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma

I bought one three weeks ago right after the 3.01 update, I guess the answer would be if it does what you want it to do right now. For me I want it to play my DVD Rips, TV Shows also ripped from my collection, and a few Blu Rays I might rip and convert. It does all that, and well. But don't buy it for future "It may never get Features" , it's not a DVR and it's not likely to ever be one. It's an Itunes Bridge that allows you to view ripped and Purchased Itunes material. If thats what you need, and your ripped files are in a format Itunes uses, then I say go for it, I love mine. With Handbrake and MetaX its a nice and easy media player.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The Apple TV suffers from a lack of enthusiasm and direction on the part of Apple’s management — particularly Steve Jobs and Eddy Cue.

If you just want a simple iTunes-compatible playback device and can accept that the current model/concept may change in the near future, go for it.

Apple knows the Apple TV is deeply flawed. That’s why they don’t vigorously defend the product from criticism like their other products or even bother to market the product in a substantial way. There have been countless negative articles about the Apple TV from lackluster sales to slow performance by both the mainstream and tech centric press without a peep from Apple.

Jobs and Cook have both made disparaging comments about the device. It’s clearly not a staple product as much as it is a concept device/trial balloon, and Apple TV owners are the focus group.

Until that changes, I’m not sure I would invest into it as a platform.

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I'd like to buy an ATV but at this point in time Apple needs to update it before I buy one. If they don't update so it can support 1080p, I won't buy one.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
To many people are looking for an everything, swiss army type box, and when they can't get it to do it are disappointed. :eek:

I have 2 ATV, got them originally to be 'big ipods' for my home stereos. The additional features they have are bonuses to me.

If you have a bluray player, it won't be as good but what it does do it does well.

Find a good deal on ebay and don't look back. :D

Bye Bye Baby

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2004
i(am in the)cloud
I can certainly recommend the ATV. Great product. I am not sure what Apple can do to the ATV that would not put it into competition with the Mac mini.

But that's just me.

Get a good deal, get your content organised and get a good tv. You won't regret it.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I can certainly recommend the ATV. Great product. I am not sure what Apple can do to the ATV that would not put it into competition with the Mac mini.

But that's just me.

Get a good deal, get your content organised and get a good tv. You won't regret it.

In a new Model I would Remove the HD make it a Strictly Streaming Device. Up the Processor to Handle 1080p material. Give the Interface a complete revamp.

I'd be happy with that.

godslabrat

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2007
Apple knows the Apple TV is deeply flawed. That’s why they don’t vigorously defend the product from criticism like their other products or even bother to market the product in a substantial way. There have been countless negative articles about the Apple TV from lackluster sales to slow performance by both the mainstream and tech centric press without a peep from Apple.

Right now, AppleTV reminds me a lot of the iPod toward the end of its third generation. The music-only, monochrome-screened device was being passed by its competition. Everyone "knew" that photo-capable models should be in the works, and that video-capable ones should at least be on the drawing board. All the diehard Apple supporters said that the iPod didn't need to grow, it was only supposed to do one thing, and it did that one thing very well.

Turns out the "I want photo capability" crowd was right. Then came the iPod Photo, and suddenly Apple was hailed as brilliant for adding color screens. The "does only one thing" crowd quietly abandoned that mantra.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Turns out the "I want photo capability" crowd was right. Then came the iPod Photo, and suddenly Apple was hailed as brilliant for adding color screens. The "does only one thing" crowd quietly abandoned that mantra.

I would say it didn't really become revolutionary until the iPod could play videos. I remember the days when the iPod colour+photo version came out. I thought it was silly, and I still do. The iPod 5G with video was when I upgraded my monochrome iPod. And of course now we have the iPod touch which finally had a sensible way of displaying and manipulating photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.