PDA

View Full Version : A.I. in G5?

kman12681
Aug 4, 2004, 07:14 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone give some advice on this one: my dual 1.8 revb G5 turns itself on randomly. Not waking from sleep, but ON. I'll be in bed, and all of a sudden I will hear the startup chime, and sure enough, the computer is turning on. I've checked all the settings in the energy saver - no wake options are selected, nor is the schedule running. Moreover, the computer does it at many different times, not consistently. Has anyone experienced this? Furthermore, should I be concerned? The computer otherwise runs very well. Thanks for any insight

- keith

NusuniAdmin
Aug 4, 2004, 07:19 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone give some advice on this one: my dual 1.8 revb G5 turns itself on randomly. Not waking from sleep, but ON. I'll be in bed, and all of a sudden I will hear the startup chime, and sure enough, the computer is turning on. I've checked all the settings in the energy saver - no wake options are selected, nor is the schedule running. Moreover, the computer does it at many different times, not consistently. Has anyone experienced this? Furthermore, should I be concerned? The computer otherwise runs very well. Thanks for any insight

- keith

have u checked if there was a mouse in there. :P

But have u looked to see if the startup button does not have somtin wrong...maybe some loose wires...who the heck knows

jsw
Aug 4, 2004, 07:26 PM
Do you have Bluetooth? If so, in the Bluetooth prefs, have you enabled BT devices to wake your system? Perhaps you're getting errant signals from somewhere....

jimsowden
Aug 4, 2004, 07:34 PM
My money is on haunted computer. I work at an Apple Authorized repair center, and 95% of all problems are caused by ghosts.

cawesjmu
Aug 4, 2004, 08:10 PM
my roommate had the same problem. granted it was on a Gateway, but support narrowed it down to his network card. i don't know how, or why, but you might want to unplug if from the internet and see if it continues to turn on by itself.

jsw
Aug 4, 2004, 08:14 PM
my roommate had the same problem. granted it was on a Gateway, but support narrowed it down to his network card. i don't know how, or why, but you might want to unplug if from the internet and see if it continues to turn on by itself.

On Macs, System Preferences...->Energy Saver->Options->"Wake for Ethernet network administrator access" will do this. If enabled, this might cause issues. Unlikely, but possible.

ezkimo
Aug 4, 2004, 08:24 PM
Maybe accidently turned on scheduled startup?
system prefs -> energy saver -> Schedule

Localcelebrity
Aug 5, 2004, 01:49 PM
my sawtooth G4 used to do this, now while i believe the apartment i was living in at the time was haunted, i narrowed down the g4 problems to actually their being bad power in my apartment

near as i could tell power surges were going through things in my house (even my surge protector, the problem stopped when i switched to a better one) and affecting the power supply and just wreaking havoc, you should get your wiring checked, it could be a bigger problem than your mac, it could start a fire. Make sure the line is good and make sure it's safely grounded.

On a side note the surges ****ed up the power management on my g4 and now the thing doesn't even turn on anymore.

King Cobra
Aug 5, 2004, 01:53 PM
My Cube used to do this...but not randomly. 7.5 seconds after shut-down, it would turn itself on again. The problem: Speakers were plugged into USB port 1 and monitor in port 2. Should be the reverse.

NusuniAdmin
Aug 5, 2004, 01:53 PM
My Cube used to do this...but not randomly. 7.5 seconds after shut-down, it would turn itself on again. The problem: Speakers were plugged into USB port 1 and monitor in port 2. Should be the reverse.

a monitor in a usb port?? Eh?

smllpx
Aug 5, 2004, 02:14 PM
a monitor in a usb port?? Eh?

USB hub in the monitor maybe?

NusuniAdmin
Aug 5, 2004, 02:17 PM
USB hub in the monitor maybe?

oh ya forgot about those dang things.

live4ever
Aug 5, 2004, 02:46 PM
I remember once in the middle of the night I must have rolled over on my IR remote control and it started up my PM 6500 with the volume on full.

It scared the hell outta me.

jsw
Aug 5, 2004, 02:49 PM
my sawtooth G4 used to do this, now while i believe the apartment i was living in at the time was haunted, i narrowed down the g4 problems to actually their being bad power in my apartment

near as i could tell power surges were going through things in my house (even my surge protector, the problem stopped when i switched to a better one) and affecting the power supply and just wreaking havoc, you should get your wiring checked, it could be a bigger problem than your mac, it could start a fire. Make sure the line is good and make sure it's safely grounded.

On a side note the surges ****ed up the power management on my g4 and now the thing doesn't even turn on anymore.
Similar thing happened to me. Lesson learned: always get a UPS, not just a surge protector. If you can afford it, get one with USB connection to your Mac (CyberPower makes decent systems, many of which work with Macs). A good UPS will protect you from surges, sags, over-voltage, etc., and one with software that runs on the Mac will actually let you see conditions as they currently exist on your power line. As you can see, my voltage is a bit high now. If it gets much higher (or lower), the UPS will manage it for me and output 120V.