PDA

View Full Version : I found an iPod in the trash

timelord726
Dec 1, 2009, 08:40 PM
I found what appears to be a fifth-generation 30 GB iPod sitting in the trash. After numerous attempts to get it working, I can state pretty authoritatively that the battery will not hold a charge (plugging it in and letting it charge just results in the battery with lightning bolt forever), and the backlight in the screen does not work (the screen itself comes on, but just won't get past the battery icon even after letting it charge for days).

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1435/HT1435_5.jpg

I just wanted to get a second opinion (or two) before returning it to the trash can. I'm not an iPod man myself (except for the iPod touch; I own an iPhone), so even if I could fix it I probably wouldn't use it. I just want to make sure I shouldn't attempt to sell it for parts or give it to someone who might be able to fix it.

Trash?

Night Spring
Dec 1, 2009, 08:47 PM
Take it to Apple next time you are buying an ipod, I believe you'll get 10% or something like that off.

thabandit
Dec 1, 2009, 08:58 PM
why were u going through the trash? especially someone else's? :confused:

timelord726
Dec 1, 2009, 08:59 PM
why were u going through the trash? especially someone else's? :confused:
Just saw it on top and figured I might be able to do something with it.

thabandit
Dec 1, 2009, 09:01 PM
^understood, i prob would have tried to save the poor thing also ;)

timelord726
Dec 1, 2009, 09:02 PM
^understood, i prob would have tried to save the poor thing also ;)
My thoughts exactly. ;)

flakes8
Dec 1, 2009, 09:09 PM
Garbage Picker !!!! :D

timelord726
Dec 1, 2009, 09:10 PM
You know, these replies are coming straight to my email. It'd be nice to get a constructive one here or there. :p

frankmansell
Dec 1, 2009, 09:36 PM
I have a color ipod (20gb). Same issue. Apple store didn't the 10% discount, rather a flip remark... " you got four years out of it, just get a new one."

I was going to buy a new circuit board from iFixIt (good people), but tried this out of desperation. I had nothing to lose.

Here's what I did.
Turn the iPod on.
At the 10:00 o'Clock position outside the click wheel and close to the edge of the case, but below the display, I squeezed the case (hard) ... between my thumb and forefinger.

It rebooted! I've been using it for the past three months. Occasionally when the battery runs down, the iPod reverts to its non-functional self. When it does, I repeat the process and I'm back in business.

I'll start looking for new iPod soon. Until then... this works in a pinch.

timelord726
Dec 1, 2009, 09:39 PM
I have a color ipod (20gb). Same issue. Apple store didn't the 10% discount, rather a flip remark... " you got four years out of it, just get a new one."

I was going to buy a new circuit board from iFixIt (good people), but tried this out of desperation. I had nothing to lose.

Here's what I did.
Turn the iPod on.
At the 10:00 o'Clock position outside the click wheel and close to the edge of the case, but below the display, I squeezed the case (hard) ... between my thumb and forefinger.

It rebooted! I've been using it for the past three months. Occasionally when the battery runs down, the iPod reverts to its non-functional self. When it does, I repeat the process and I'm back in business.

I'll start looking for new iPod soon. Until then... this works in a pinch.
How strange! Sadly this doesn't seem to have any effect on the one I have...

Lloyd Christmas
Dec 1, 2009, 10:05 PM
i had an ipod that was about a year and a half out of warranty. i figured what the heck ill try to get it fixed in the apple store. after driving up to the store and waiting, the genius comes out the back room and states he has bad news, he is unable to fix the ipod. the good news was that he would be able to give me a new one, free of charge. this is when i started only buying apple stuff. can get over the amazing customer service that they give you. Lloyd

Night Spring
Dec 1, 2009, 10:14 PM

Which Apple store was this? I would have demanded to speak to a manager. Apple has a clearly stated recycling policy. If any employee refuses to honor it, they should be reported.
http://www.apple.com/recycling/ipod-cell-phone/

pukifloyd
Dec 1, 2009, 11:24 PM
maybe sell it on ebay or CL for parts?

Mlrollin91
Dec 1, 2009, 11:49 PM

That is very strange, never heard of that.
Like 6 months ago, maybe a little longer I traded my 512MB 1st Gen Shuffle in and got a 32GB iPod Touch, got 39.99 for the shuffle, almost what I paid for it.

Jason Beck
Dec 2, 2009, 12:10 AM
Take it to the Apple store, ask if they can look at it.
"It just stopped working.."
Your not really lying so much as telling the truth.
See what they do.
Who knows? You may get lucky!:apple::D

applesupergeek
Dec 2, 2009, 05:44 AM
Sell it on ebay, here's a suggested listing:

BRAND NEW IPOD etc. etc.

palane
Dec 2, 2009, 08:44 AM
Well, you could buy a replacement battery and see if that's the problem. I haven't tried the newer iPods, but replaced the hard drive on a Gen2 iPod once.

Alternately, crack it open and spend $5 for a cheap enclosure. You now have a 30GB hard drive for $5. Along these lines, you could see if one of the places that sells iPod parts would give you a credit.

BB

I found what appears to be a fifth-generation 30 GB iPod sitting in the trash...

puckhead193
Dec 2, 2009, 08:49 AM
you can use it as an external drive

Darth.Titan
Dec 2, 2009, 09:41 AM
you can use it as an external drive

Not if it won't get past the "battery is too low for use" charging screen he can't.

I'd buy a battery replacement kit just for kicks and see if that fixes it. They can be had for $15 or so. If that fixes it it could probably bring you $50 on ebay.

Better than a kick in the teeth,

instaxgirl
Dec 3, 2009, 12:36 PM
Well, you could buy a replacement battery and see if that's the problem. I haven't tried the newer iPods, but replaced the hard drive on a Gen2 iPod once.

Alternately, crack it open and spend $5 for a cheap enclosure. You now have a 30GB hard drive for $5. Along these lines, you could see if one of the places that sells iPod parts would give you a credit.

BB

It's really easy to replace the battery on the 30GB 5G iPod. There's literally one connector. Take out the old battery, put in the new one and close it up again. It'd take 2 minutes.

Free iPod :)

sfmountainbiker
Dec 4, 2009, 03:12 PM
It's really easy to replace the battery on the 30GB 5G iPod. There's literally one connector. Take out the old battery, put in the new one and close it up again. It'd take 2 minutes.

Free iPod :)

My battery is failing on my 5th gen ipod. Any suggestions on a cheap place to pick up a battery for it?

instaxgirl
Dec 5, 2009, 08:22 AM
Hmm, I'm UK based and buy mine from Maplin (too impatient to wait for online delivery)

Amazon, eBay, iFixit all have them though. Plus a million iPod repair sites. I'd spend about 20 on one. iFixit's probably the best known site for iPod parts and you can get an opening tool or whatever they call it at the same time (I just used a tiny flat head screwdriver because I wasn't bothered about scratching my iPod) but you'd be just as well with one from a reliable eBay seller.

sfmountainbiker
Dec 8, 2009, 11:01 AM
Hmm, I'm UK based and buy mine from Maplin (too impatient to wait for online delivery)

Amazon, eBay, iFixit all have them though. Plus a million iPod repair sites. I'd spend about 20 on one. iFixit's probably the best known site for iPod parts and you can get an opening tool or whatever they call it at the same time (I just used a tiny flat head screwdriver because I wasn't bothered about scratching my iPod) but you'd be just as well with one from a reliable eBay seller.

Thanks for the advice! What's the deal with all the $4-5 replacement battery's on ebay? Are they DOA?

officepet
Dec 8, 2009, 11:28 AM
hey that's one nice trash you got there! If I were you I'll go to Apple see if they can do anything with it to make it work, if it's going to be expensieve, I get the harddrive out of it and use it. :rolleyes:

snipper
Dec 8, 2009, 12:08 PM
[...]. the good news was that he would be able to give me a new one, free of charge. this is when i started only buying apple stuff. can get over the amazing customer service that they give you.

That's exactly the opposite of what Apple's reaction (and reputation) in the Netherlands is. Over here, Apple grands you one one year of guarantee, although the legal minimum is more, depending on the product.

The only way to get your guarantee though, is by either buying an expensive extra insurance from Apple or having your attorney writing them a letter. Even then it can take weeks or more before your Mac / iPod gets repaired.

Quite interesting to see Apple is so much customer friendly in the US.

instaxgirl
Dec 8, 2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the advice! What's the deal with all the $4-5 replacement battery's on ebay? Are they DOA?

As long as the ebay seller has good feedback I'd give it a go, you're only going to lose $5 after all :)

I just went and bought a new battery today actually. Mine's is for a video iPod (5G) and is a 550mAh battery which is apparently 10% more capacity than the original.

I paid 14, but handily got a couple of the little plastic tools with it too :)

sfmountainbiker
Dec 8, 2009, 07:49 PM
As long as the ebay seller has good feedback I'd give it a go, you're only going to lose $5 after all :)

I just went and bought a new battery today actually. Mine's is for a video iPod (5G) and is a 550mAh battery which is apparently 10% more capacity than the original.

I paid 14, but handily got a couple of the little plastic tools with it too :)

Thanks, I had the same idea. I figure if I'm going to gamble, I might as well gamble hard. :rolleyes:

I ordered a $5.29 900mAh battery that came with the tools to change it out. Seller had 99.7% positive feedback, 30 day money back and item had been sold 972 times. We'll see if it works out in the end! :p

StruckANerve
Dec 9, 2009, 12:08 PM
It's definitely worth trying to fix. Either to sell or to keep or give to a freind.

Airforcekid
Dec 9, 2009, 03:21 PM
If it has a hard drive make an external one for movies etc.

Dustman
Dec 9, 2009, 07:23 PM

Nope they work! They're just generics. I bought a $6 one for my old iPod Mini 6 GB and it worked great. Higher capacity than the original one too. That being said there are certain risks of using generic batteries (think, boom.).

sfmountainbiker
Dec 14, 2009, 01:19 PM
Nope they work! They're just generics. I bought a $6 one for my old iPod Mini 6 GB and it worked great. Higher capacity than the original one too. That being said there are certain risks of using generic batteries (think, boom.).

Replacement battery arrived this morning. Popped it into the iPod with tools provided, and it looks like it's good to go! Fully charged and running FOTC at full brightness (haven't been able to watch TV shows for months now). Best $5 I ever spent! :D:cool:

elpmas
Dec 14, 2009, 02:23 PM
wow awesome. :]

supergod
Dec 14, 2009, 06:22 PM
Take it apart but try and keep the case of it. You could use it as a stash case: I can see one pack of papes, some matches and a half Q crammed up there.

milton.sheaf
Dec 14, 2009, 06:45 PM
Toxic electronics do not belong in the garbage. Take it to an electronics recycling facility to be disposed of properly. Notice how all electronics (apple products included) have that little logo that is a picture of a trash can with an "X" on it, either on the product itself or on the packaging? It's there for a reason. They contain toxic ****. Quit ****ing up the earth for the rest of us.