PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Reports Finds U.S. Cell-Phone Service Providers Lacking

MacRumors
Dec 1, 2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/01/consumer-reports-finds-u-s-cell-phone-service-providers-lacking/)

Consumer Reports today released its most recent survey of more than 50,000 readers that found only 54 percent of respondents were completely or very satisfied with their cell-phone service (regardless of network). In a press release Consumer Reports notes that despite “smarter phones,” more flexible plans, and faster wireless networks, cell service continues to be among the lower-rated of all the services that they evaluate.

The survey also showed that almost two-thirds of respondents had at least one major complaint. About one in five readers cited high prices as their top complaint, which is more than any other annoyance.

“America is in love with the cell phone, but they are lukewarm about cell phone-phone service,” said Paul Reynolds, Electronics Editor at Consumer Reports. "They’re especially concerned about its cost in these tight economic times.”

AT&T was the lowest-rated cell-phone service provider (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/phones-mobile-devices/cell-phones-services/cell-phone-service-buying-advice/guide-to-cell-phone-carriers/cell-phone-service-ratings/cell-phone-service-ratings.htm) and received low marks in voice service and customer support. Verizon was the top-rated carrier and handily beat AT&T in all areas surveyed.

The full report is included in Consumer Reports January 2010 issue and is posted on their website (http://www.consumerreports.org/). A city-by-city rating (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/phones-mobile-devices/cell-phones-services/cell-phone-service-buying-advice/guide-to-cell-phone-carriers/cell-phone-service-ratings-by-city/cell-service-ratings-by-city.htm) is available for 26 metropolitan areas. Also included in the January 2010 issue is an update to the organization's cell phone ratings. Apple's iPhone models continue to remain on top of Consumer Reports smart phone ratings (http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/phones-mobile-devices/cell-phones-services/smart-phone-ratings/ratings-overview.htm) as of this posting.

Article Link: Consumer Reports Finds U.S. Cell-Phone Service Providers Lacking (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/01/consumer-reports-finds-u-s-cell-phone-service-providers-lacking/)

amac4me
Dec 1, 2009, 08:54 PM
Please let there be truth to the reports that the iPhone-AT&T exclusivity will end in 2010!!

goobot
Dec 1, 2009, 09:01 PM
Please let there be truth to the reports that the iPhone-AT&T exclusivity will end in 2010!!
no

and version sucks where i live:p

zombitronic
Dec 1, 2009, 10:06 PM
In other news, the sky is blue.

kalafalas
Dec 1, 2009, 10:20 PM
can someone post a screenshot of the ratings? it wants me to log in to see the chart

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/electronics-computers/phones-mobile-devices/cell-phones-services/smart-phone-ratings/ratings-overview.htm

gibbsj
Dec 1, 2009, 10:43 PM
here you go

I believe the findings to be factual.

DakotaGuy
Dec 1, 2009, 11:43 PM
Verizon gets the very top score in voice connection and quality and AT&T gets the lowest however some still try to argue that AT&T's GSM network is somehow superior to Verizon's CDMA network.

DMann
Dec 1, 2009, 11:56 PM
Nevertheless,

Despite AT&T's lower ranking (http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/12/01/verizon-leads-wireless-service-rankings-while-att-lags/?hp) :

"The Consumer Reports survey found that iPhone owners are willing to put up
with a creaky network just to have the device: The survey found that 98
percent of iPhone owners liked their phones enough to buy it again, despite
the sub-par ratings for AT&T."

To be willing to tolerate a sub-par network for the sake of using an iPhone speaks volumes, in regard to customer satisfaction.

puckhead193
Dec 1, 2009, 11:58 PM
way to go big V... (hopefully my stock will go up tomorrow :p)
Imagine the perfect phone on america's perfect network :D

Doctor Q
Dec 1, 2009, 11:58 PM
I had better sound quality with Verizon and I was happy with Verizon service. But AT&T had iPhones! So I'm an AT&T customer.

stagi
Dec 2, 2009, 12:04 AM
I am somewhat satisfied with the performance just not happy about paying $200 a month for 2 iPhones, wish the price would start to go down a bit.

sanity
Dec 2, 2009, 01:03 AM
Geez AT&T sucks! However, I fall into the camp of "AT&T sucks, but not bad enough that I will abandon my iPhone".

bloodycape
Dec 2, 2009, 01:45 AM
Not sure how true this is, since I have read many times that Sprint can roam on VZW towers and even on some phones force roaming so you are like always on VZW towers(sprint doesn't charge roaming fees so its all good). So, if Sprint can roam on VZW service when needed, then shouldn't Sprint be up there in reception and call quality?

synth3tik
Dec 2, 2009, 01:50 AM
I think I may be one of the only people who doesn't mind AT&T, but absolutely hate the iPhone.

dukeofhurl
Dec 2, 2009, 03:48 AM
In Portland, OR, I have never had a dropped call on AT&T with my iPhone. However, it wouldn't take very many dropped calls to get me upset with AT&T. I want what I pay for. I feel extremely lucky that I get what I pay for.

spazzcat
Dec 2, 2009, 05:53 AM
This is like saying its dark at night.

Marzzz
Dec 2, 2009, 06:18 AM
I put up with AT&T in order to have the iPhone, but the second the iPhone is opened up to other carriers, I am gone.

AlphaAnt
Dec 2, 2009, 07:54 AM
america's perfect network :D

Whoa, there, buddy. No one was insinuating that. The point I got out of the article was that they all suck, it's just that Verizon sucks slightly less.

Alas, that puts me in that group mentioned at the end of the article. I don't like AT&T, but I'm not gonna get rid of my iPhone for a slightly less crappy network.

Yvan256
Dec 2, 2009, 07:57 AM
They should come and see the contracts and the fees in Canada. :(

john0879
Dec 2, 2009, 08:34 AM
Whoa, there, buddy. No one was insinuating that. The point I got out of the article was that they all suck, it's just that Verizon sucks slightly less.

Alas, that puts me in that group mentioned at the end of the article. I don't like AT&T, but I'm not gonna get rid of my iPhone for a slightly less crappy network.

Agreed. The difference between reader scores is only 9% and Verizon's 75% satisfaction rate is far from perfect.

kas23
Dec 2, 2009, 08:59 AM
I'm sick of AT&T. I get about 1 dropped call per day on average. Can someone post the city-by-city results from CR?

cmcconkey
Dec 2, 2009, 09:12 AM
I just wish that they would come up with some sort of low minute usage, but high data usage plan, then I would be happy. As it stands I am paying almost $100 a month for 78 minutes of usage on Verizon's network. I have unlimited data, unlimited GPS, unlimited "in" texting.

JabbaMac
Dec 2, 2009, 09:23 AM
I hardly use my iPhone as a phone because I have so many dropped calls. I bet iPhone on VZ end of summer 2010.

kdarling
Dec 2, 2009, 09:28 AM
So, if Sprint can roam on VZW service when needed, then shouldn't Sprint be up there in reception and call quality?

I thought that Sprint cannot do 3G roaming on Verizon (?)

If they could, I'd get my wife on Sprint in a heartbeat. Least expensive all-in-one plans and nice choice of phones. My son-in-law has a Pre on Sprint and loves it.

Furrybeagle
Dec 2, 2009, 09:34 AM
AT&T must be raking in cash from iPhone subscriptions, right? So you'd think their network would be top notch… :confused:

nagromme
Dec 2, 2009, 10:42 AM
Verizon gets the very top score in voice connection and quality and AT&T gets the lowest however some still try to argue that AT&T's GSM network is somehow superior to Verizon's CDMA network.

I think people’s standards are way too low if they think Verizon is great :o Actually, some people are just lucky. And naturally, where you happen to live makes a difference.But in my experience, ALL the US carriers are substandard.

But AT&T’s network IS vastly superior, in that it lets me use the Internet AND talk at the same time. I use that constantly, and sometimes really need it. I could NOT do without that, whatever AT&T’s other issues may be. (Such as, for instance, hair-rasingly bad customer service/support, where everyone you talk to has different info and the Truth is Not Out There.)

kdarling
Dec 2, 2009, 11:01 AM
AT&T must be raking in cash from iPhone subscriptions, right? So you'd think their network would be top notch… :confused:

ATT also had to put out well over a half billion dollars in subsidies to Apple. In other words, they've loaned out that much money to new iPhone customers.

ATT could have another year to go before the first subsidies are paid back. (I need to check their quarterly statements on this.)

eastercat
Dec 2, 2009, 11:21 AM
AT&T must be raking in cash from iPhone subscriptions, right? So you'd think their network would be top notch… :confused:Kdarling has a good explanation. Also, if their exclusivity is good for another couple of years, they may be taking their sweet time upgrading and adding towers. Also, money that could be used for towers is used for undeservedly high salaries to their executives.

spazzcat
Dec 2, 2009, 11:32 AM

The issue I see here is there is only about 9 points different in their overall scores, its not like VWZ score 80 and ATT scored 30. The bottom line is cell phone companies in the US suck :)

mike2q
Dec 2, 2009, 11:39 AM
Cell companies do suck.

That said, I had a 1st gen iPhone and I can tell you that when on 2G networks if you are browsing the web or downloading anything incoming calls go straight to voicemail. This goes for the 3G iPhone when on parts of AT&T's 2G network. Thats where "there's a map for that" hits hard. Sometimes even in 3G areas the phones switch to 2G. I switched back to Verizon for raw coverage by square milage. I know AT&T covers "more people" than Verizon but Verizon covers more area. I don't give a damn if I am the ONLY subscriber if my phone works everywhere. I also expect that if I'm looking at e-mail that I will at least be able to accept incoming calls. Voice and data would be great but not at the expense of possibly missing important calls because you stepped into a 2G area.

iphones4evry1
Dec 2, 2009, 03:30 PM
I am greatly looking forward to reading the Consumer Reports article on this. :)

Only 54% were happy? Hmm. Looks like we need a complete overhaul of the cell phone industry.
In school and college, a 54% is a complete FAILURE! Do NOT pass go, do NOT collect your diploma, in fact, you've just been kicked out of the university for such poor performance!!!

BandBiker
Dec 2, 2009, 09:04 PM
That is because ATT service Overall SUCKS!!!!!! Hurry up Summer 2010, so I can switch service providers. Do you hear that ATT, YOU SUCK!!!!!!!

bloodycape
Dec 3, 2009, 12:46 AM
I thought that Sprint cannot do 3G roaming on Verizon (?)

If they could, I'd get my wife on Sprint in a heartbeat. Least expensive all-in-one plans and nice choice of phones. My son-in-law has a Pre on Sprint and loves it.
I remember reading this @ XDA-Developers, but AFAIK it's only for WM phones. It was some registry, or deep phone setting that was changed to do this.

bloodycape
Dec 3, 2009, 12:51 AM
But AT&T’s network IS vastly superior, in that it lets me use the Internet AND talk at the same time.
That not only an AT&T, its a GSM thing. T-Mobile allows you to do the same thing, and if we go by Consumer Reports, with better service.

hangnaround76
Dec 3, 2009, 01:24 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I am a verizon user with 11 lines and cards for my team across ma ct pa I have an iPhone and only love it for being the best smart phone on the worst service. Try Westfield pa new Milford and ansonia ct no 3g or service with AT&T . Each time I pick up my trusted lg envy vz phone with 3g and plenty of efficent CDMA. Why didn't AT&T use the past four years of iPhone revenue to grow their network? Vz had fast efficent network from day one IMO ...

hangnaround76
Dec 3, 2009, 01:36 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Also I now understand why Luke Wilson the AT&T whore got postcards from all those non 3g areas of the USA (in the commercial) no multitasking there...

DMann
Dec 3, 2009, 04:06 AM

Also I now understand why Luke Wilson the AT&T whore got postcards from all those non 3g areas of the USA (in the commercial) no multitasking there...
This is actually pretty funny. :D

AndersOlson
Dec 28, 2009, 07:44 PM
So long story short.... I bought an iphone for my wife for christmas against her wishes (she breaks things a lot) and she decided to try to use the phone while she was shoveling the day after christmas and inadvertently snagged the headphone cable with the shovel and as a result, pulled the phone out of her jacket and into the snow. The phone was submerged in water for a few seconds and when we picked it up the phone had powered off. We waited a few days to see if it would dry out. Today we attempted to power it on and the unit does not respond. I've spoken to the apple store about the possible return/exchange and they've informed me that as a result of physical damage to the unit they are unable to process a return or exchange and instead will only sell me another unit flat out. I figured that since I had signed a new 2-year agreement with a $30 data plan I was going to be stuck paying the monthly fee.

Well I called AT&T and spoke to a very informative man named Austin. I calmly explained my situation to him and explained that i wanted to put my wife's old phone (LG Xenon) back on the account and take her $30 data plan off and resume her old $10 a month data plan. Austin helped me out by taking the $30 plan off the account and switching the old plan back on. I was ecstatic at this immediate response and his empathetic approach to my situation. In ADDITION to helping me out with the data plans he also informed me of a $250.00 one-time credit which he was going to place on my account as a result of my iphone accident. This may have been partially due to my 4 year good standing and 5 line family share plan with ATT but I had never in a million years expected this kind of treatment. I was blown away at this news and immediately thanked him. We ended the call shortly thereafter and I know sit here in absolute shock at the excellent customer service I received. I realize AT&T has had some really bad publicity the last few years but I am here to tell you first hand, it really seems like they are making big strides in changing their company image and I for one and now a life-long ATT Customer. Just thought i'd share my experience with everyone.

DMann
Dec 31, 2009, 02:42 PM
So long story short.... I bought an iphone for my wife for christmas against her wishes (she breaks things a lot) and she decided to try to use the phone while she was shoveling the day after christmas and inadvertently snagged the headphone cable with the shovel and as a result, pulled the phone out of her jacket and into the snow. The phone was submerged in water for a few seconds and when we picked it up the phone had powered off. We waited a few days to see if it would dry out. Today we attempted to power it on and the unit does not respond. I've spoken to the apple store about the possible return/exchange and they've informed me that as a result of physical damage to the unit they are unable to process a return or exchange and instead will only sell me another unit flat out. I figured that since I had signed a new 2-year agreement with a $30 data plan I was going to be stuck paying the monthly fee.

Well I called AT&T and spoke to a very informative man named Austin. I calmly explained my situation to him and explained that i wanted to put my wife's old phone (LG Xenon) back on the account and take her $30 data plan off and resume her old $10 a month data plan. Austin helped me out by taking the $30 plan off the account and switching the old plan back on. I was ecstatic at this immediate response and his empathetic approach to my situation. In ADDITION to helping me out with the data plans he also informed me of a $250.00 one-time credit which he was going to place on my account as a result of my iphone accident. This may have been partially due to my 4 year good standing and 5 line family share plan with ATT but I had never in a million years expected this kind of treatment. I was blown away at this news and immediately thanked him. We ended the call shortly thereafter and I know sit here in absolute shock at the excellent customer service I received. I realize AT&T has had some really bad publicity the last few years but I am here to tell you first hand, it really seems like they are making big strides in changing their company image and I for one and now a life-long ATT Customer. Just thought i'd share my experience with everyone.

Enormous strides, in fact.

AT&T has been extremely accommodating; actually encouraging me to try out different plans, mid-cycle, pro-rating differences, offering bonus minutes, and messages. (any time I went over, using a minimal package, they would pump in an extra allotment, free of charge, so to avoid fees)

I've never had anything but positive experiences with their reps, which is quite the contrary to my experiences with Verizon and T-Mobile. AT&T really seems to care, and though their efforts, they show it.

pardoel
Jan 5, 2010, 10:20 AM
I am a former (almost 4 years) t-mobile customer care rep who lives south of Salem, Oregon We had no service at home and calls would drop all day long couldn't get any service while shopping in Albany. We switched to ATT (yes I also got iphone 3gs) and NO dropped calls AND we CAN use our phones all over our home I even have been on my iphone using internet and youtube. I used to have both the Samsung Memoir(keepng it in purse as camera now) and motorola Cliq android phone.. very happy we switched! My husband can finally use his phone for work and NOT have to call customers back 2-4 times. I have had to call ATT customer care reps twice and they are ok ..I think I need to train them to be nicer to customers though :)

sarahcollin
Mar 18, 2010, 05:00 AM
they are bit over paid

MoTo77
Mar 19, 2010, 12:32 PM

It is superior for international travellers, no question about it.

CDMA is useless for heavy international travel (unless you don't mind paying Verizon calling rates). With GSM, I can pop a local SIM card into my unlocked iPhone and pay local rates all over the world. I'll be in SE Asia for three months and the savings on calls and internet service alone will rival the cost of the entire trip.

kalafalas
Mar 19, 2010, 11:21 PM
What everyone needs to remember: Just because you use your phone for one thing, doesn't mean someone else does for the same.

It is a fact: In the US, verizon gets much higher scores on calling quality and dropped call rates.

It is a fact: AT&T does support for texts longer than 160 characters through conjoined methods, while annoyingly verizon splits them.

It is a fact: AT&T gets much higher scores on data transfer speed in both upload and download speeds than verizon

It is a fact: verizon has a larger "3G" coverage span

It is a fact: AT&T has a larger "2G" covrage span

It is a fact: Because AT&T uses the GSM standerd with sim cards, it is much easier and cheaper to use internationally, and to find coverage internationally.

I guess when it all comes down to it, depending on what you use your phone for, each carrier has it's strengths and it's weaknesses. Being a Facebook using YouTube using iTunes downloading teenager I personally use extreamly heavy data and texting, and call someone for maybe 5 muinits once a week. So AT&T is a extreamly better fit for me than verizon is, and could care less about dropped calls. But I could see how a buisness person that heavly relies on calling and conference calls could become easily frustrated with AT&T and would much prefer verizon as a carrier.

So stop saying one sucks and the other rules and vica verca, there both good and bad for diffrent reasons, and just because one fits you dosen't mean it fits everyone, so be considerate stop complaining.

If you rely on calling and dependible heavy voice, maybe you should reconsider that iPhone your holding in your hands. It's amazing as a porable multimedia device, Internet device, hell even computer, and texting device, but let's face it. It's not the best for calling.

What people need to get: it's a portable computer and data-comunications device first, and a phone second.

(all typed on my iPhone and subbmitted using AT&Ts 3G data network :])

(I would also like to note that I live in the sanfransisco bay-area, more spacificly Berkeley, reportably the worst 3G area in the country, and while it is kinda shi*ty, I still get 2mbps downspeed avrage on AT&T 3G, much better than my friends with verizons avrage down of .5mbps of data, but there calls tend to go through alot more often xD lol)

kalafalas
Mar 19, 2010, 11:23 PM
I think people’s standards are way too low if they think Verizon is great :o Actually, some people are just lucky. And naturally, where you happen to live makes a difference.But in my experience, ALL the US carriers are substandard.

But AT&T’s network IS vastly superior, in that it lets me use the Internet AND talk at the same time. I use that constantly, and sometimes really need it. I could NOT do without that, whatever AT&T’s other issues may be. (Such as, for instance, hair-rasingly bad customer service/support, where everyone you talk to has different info and the Truth is Not Out There.)

Too true! A feature vastly overlooked! Along with unlimited character limit in texting (although this might be iPhone based not carrier based I'm not sure yet)

SeeHole
Mar 26, 2010, 03:19 PM
The bottom line is cell phone companies in the US suck :)

You said it :/

After living in Europe for the past 7 years, I know how bad all the carriers are here :rolleyes:
Why can't they put more towers up? I just don't get it, or am I missing something here. :confused:

That said, I am really looking forward to the new iPhones coming out in June/July, so that my wife and I can jump out of Verizon and into new iPhones :D :apple: :D

buddy1065
Mar 27, 2010, 01:37 PM
Wonder if Verizon will allow tethering with iPhone if it ever comes to them; I wouldn't mind paying up to $29 more/month for it. That's basically all I don't like with AT$T. I hear they talked as if they would allow tethering starting late last summer, but they didn't walk the walk. At least I can tether my 3gs with legally approved software I got from Apple before they pulled it. That's right AT$T; NetShare. Un-modified and un-hacked.

And it's about time they take the term "unlimited" from their 5 GB cap contract terminology.

I think if Apple tried hard enough they could have prevented the 3.1.4/3.2 jailbreak, but I'm wondering if they are secretly letting their patches have loopholes, weaknesses? Just sayin', looks like 3.1.4/3.2 due at iPad arrival is already jail broken. Could be iPhone sales might take a cut if that were not the case.

But maybe not the case; after all Windows is still getting viruses and stuff, so maybe I'm wrong about that.