PDA

View Full Version : Multimedia Device?

arn
Jul 25, 2002, 04:17 PM
MacEdition (http://www.macedition.com/nmr/nmr_20020723.php) posted a small blurb reporting that security has been heightened at a recently reclaimed Apple location (Mariani One), which became occupied by Sun in 1996 (http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/stories/1996/09/23/story4.html).

According to MacEdition, the heightened security is to protect Apple's latest efforts:

These efforts include future iPod revs, to be sure, but Apple’s own Area 51 is apparently the proving ground for at least one major new portable device designed to bring postmodern multimedia goodness to the masses.

esome
Jul 25, 2002, 04:29 PM
ala Replay TV only with airport. no reason it coudn't do music too so you don't have to plug your ipod into your stereo.

there's too much portable stuff floating around these days anyway. it's a sea of junky little gadgets out there. (that's not to say that apple would make any junky portable gadgets, just that it's not a market I care as much about)

mymemory
Jul 25, 2002, 04:30 PM
Ok, may be is something as revolutionary as the iCal...

Moonlight
Jul 25, 2002, 04:32 PM
postmodern multimedia goodness ??? Sounds like a candy bar you would buy at the Getty center....Hmmmmm wonder what it could be ? portable DVD player with a LCD screen ? Digital Camera storage and viewing? electronic tummy toner ?

synergy
Jul 25, 2002, 04:32 PM
Postmodern multimedia?

Quicktime streaming through a ipod like device?
Not much QT programming though. Not many Aiport wireless nets either.

mcrain
Jul 25, 2002, 04:37 PM
We need a mole (a la Goldmember) to infiltrate Apple's area 51!

A Mole I says! A mole!

yep...

a mole!

yikes, a mole!

G4scott
Jul 25, 2002, 04:58 PM
Lets not forget what happened last time everybody started speculating about Apple's "Breakthrough Digital Device", and most people were disappointed because they expected more... (But hey, the iPod was cool...)

Just don't expect much, and you'll be happy... Maybe that's what Apple's doing... They're getting us to expect less, so then it makes their really good products look even better :p

Mr. Anderson
Jul 25, 2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by arn

at least one major new portable device designed to bring postmodern multimedia goodness to the masses.

ha, more than one then - apple toys for girls and boys - whoohoo!

could be branching out into different markets, which wouldn't be a bad thing - but an iBox? hmmmm.....:D

JtheLemur
Jul 25, 2002, 05:01 PM
It's Apple's version of the roll-flat hose. (http://www.shopping-as-seen-on-tv.com/rollahose-2.jpg)

Only with AirPort. And it's clear and white and silver.

I know this because my big toes work at Apple.

-- J

ponyboy
Jul 25, 2002, 05:04 PM
Is this facility an R&D place or a production place?

arn
Jul 25, 2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by ponyboy
Is this facility an R&D place or a production place?

sounds like R&D

arn

Lepton
Jul 25, 2002, 05:09 PM
Considering that Steve whipped out a Sony Ericsson T68i mobile phone and demoed how Jaguar would integrate with it, and considering a Sony Ericsson exec came onstage to tout a collaboration, and considering Sony's long relationship with Apple, I've GOT to believe that Apple is going to do a number on the upcoming Sony Ericsson P800 mobile. This thing is a very, very nice mobile phone and PDA combination. Perfect for iSync-ing all over the place. Bluetooth, Java, messaging, EMail, images... movies? My money is on some specific, very tight integration with the P800 mobile.

You can check out the specs of the P800 here (http://www.sonyericsson.com/p800/). The actual phone will have even MORE stuff, such as a memory stick expansion slot. It's due out very soon.

goldmember
Jul 25, 2002, 05:21 PM
What "relationship" with sony? Sony doesn't make their cliés mac-compatible, and they're both fierce competitors in Laptops and Desktops. I'd say Apple has a better relationship with the merged SonyEriccson than Sony itself.

ShaolinMiddleFinger
Jul 25, 2002, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Lepton

You can check out the specs of the P800 here (http://www.sonyericsson.com/p800/). The actual phone will have even MORE stuff, such as a memory stick expansion slot. It's due out very soon.

Wow...that looks pretty cool. The front flip looks like it could break off though

scottlee
Jul 25, 2002, 05:41 PM
That P800 is a nice idea, but Sony/Ericson have some issues with the quality and durability of their phones IMO. I recently went to a Cingular store and they showed me one of the Sony phones that an employee was using and it was a creaky and flimsy (I think it was the T60)

mymemory
Jul 25, 2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by G4scott
Lets not forget what happened last time everybody started speculating about Apple's "Breakthrough Digital Device", and most people were disappointed because they expected more...

Are you telling me Apple is going to release a Barbie iPod version? The Flower iPoder?

vitruvius
Jul 25, 2002, 06:08 PM
heres a picture that i found in some french web site,the device its hard to see cause its cover with some plastic wrap and the camera flash!!!

by christ sake!! this multimedia devices rumors are like a DejaVu!:D

ryme4reson
Jul 25, 2002, 06:29 PM
The Offices at Mariani are not production, they are R & D. They are right across the street (De Anza Blvd) from One Infinite Loop (Apple HQ). I used to live in Cupertino (moving back Monday!!) and when I was in High School, I used to spend some nights in the parking lots of the Mariani location with my girlfriend. During my Junior year my girls father was a Engineer working on hard drives back then, and hey when your 16 and you want to get it on, what better place than the parking lot of her fathers job, in the back of your moms blazer. Ahh the good ole days :) So Apple and myself have some some R & D at the Mariani location. I just progressed faster than say that DAMN 133 sys bus, ok Im done.

ponyboy
Jul 25, 2002, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by vitruvius
heres a picture that i found in some french web site,the device its hard to see cause its cover with some plastic wrap and the camera flash!!!

by christ sake!! this multimedia devices rumors are like a DejaVu!:D

That is a bad photoshop redo of an admited spymac fab.

vitruvius
Jul 25, 2002, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by ponyboy

That is a bad photoshop redo of an admited spymac fab.

YES, its bad photoshop redo ( i did it in about 5min) :p

and

NO, i doesnt come from SpyMac it comes from ME i designed and modeled (you can see it at my web page with other of my MockUps) i also publish it in SpyMac to see the reaction but thats a different thing :mad:

and is not suposed to be photorealist but just ironic
but anyway ,great attention to details PonyBoy :D

ponyboy
Jul 25, 2002, 07:04 PM

and

NO, i doesnt come from SpyMac it comes from ME i designed and modeled (you can see it at my web page with other of my MockUps) i also publish it in SpyMac to see the reaction but thats a different thing :mad:

I stand corrected. I didnt really mean it was created by spymac just that that is where id seen it. But what is all this I found this on a french site stuff? That doesnt work here in MR we're smarter than that... most of us anyway

pgwalsh
Originally posted by Lepton
That's a pretty slick phone. If Apple put one out with their touch, I'd buy one for sure. I'm in the market for this type of device, but they've been pretty *****ty so far. We used to test all kinds of these devices back when I was with Nortel Networks. But this "looks" pretty damn good. Hopefully it functions as good as it looks.

ponyboy
Good rendering job by the way

billiam0878
Jul 25, 2002, 07:14 PM
Considering Steve just said how the next gen cell phones are the future, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an Sony-Apple phone with an "Apple-ish" design available to the masses.

Bill

Jimong5
Jul 25, 2002, 08:00 PM
"new portable device designed to bring postmodern multimedia goodness to the masses."

why overlook the obvious? I think this could be just a Superdrive for the Ti Book. Thats just my opinion though, could be more, could be that.

arn
Jul 25, 2002, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Jimong5
"new portable device designed to bring postmodern multimedia goodness to the masses."

why overlook the obvious? I think this could be just a Superdrive for the Ti Book. Thats just my opinion though, could be more, could be that.

I don't think that would requires it's own R&D. It would simply be:

Pioneer: "here's a small form factor Superdrive"
Apple: "Cool, let's put it in the TiBook"

arn

topicolo
Jul 25, 2002, 08:21 PM
Didn't Sony design and manufacture a 68k powerbook for Apple before? I thought I read that it was a PB 100

beatle888
Jul 25, 2002, 08:30 PM

and

Your funny, hehehe........I knew right away that it was the
same mock product you posted here a while ago......
I think the plastic wrap, lighting is right on.....the wood table eh, you could
do better but not in five minutes.
goodjob PUNK.....hehehe : )

neilt
Jul 25, 2002, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by topicolo
Didn't Sony design and manufacture a 68k powerbook for Apple before? I thought I read that it was a PB 100

I am almost positive that sony built the 2400c.
The 2400c was the ultra-small portable that has almost cult-like following in japan.

(even more cult-like than apple normally generates! :D)

neilt

EDIT - sorry, did some quick research...it was a joint project with ibm. not Sony.

beatle888
Jul 25, 2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by billiam0878
Considering Steve just said how the next gen cell phones are the future, I wouldn't be surprised if we see an Sony-Apple phone with an "Apple-ish" design available to the masses.

Bill

Exactly! very good sir.....you will be notified by Apple to receive
your prize within 4 to 5 weeks.

anywhoo, I agree 100%........apple and sony ericwhatever seemed
to be in bed together.....and they also said that by NEXT YEAR this
technology will be very impressive......so it sounds to me that apple
will really have something to show around this time next year.

3G4N
Jul 25, 2002, 10:05 PM
how about this?

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=ERIC_CHATPEN
http://otmtech.com/news010402.asp

"The Sony-Ericsson CHA-30 Chatpen – Moving pen and paper into the digital age. Chatpen™ works via a mobile phone to let you communicate both digitally and on paper – simultaneously."

bluetooth, but not released yet.

has InkWell all over it...

maybe a side note when Jag is released?

JtheLemur
Jul 25, 2002, 10:16 PM
Usually i get excited about these obscure rumor dealies...but man... maybe they're R&D-ing for the next iPod.... a 30 GB IPOD! Woooooo... imagine! The future is HERE!

=D

-- J

G4scott
Jul 25, 2002, 11:05 PM
I think that right now, an Apple cell phone might be in the works, but I'm a little skeptical because the cell phone market is very big right now (Nokia, Motorola, Sony/Ericson, etc.) and an Apple cell phone would probably cost more than your everyday cell phone... I don't really see Apple as a player in the cell phone market mostly because they're already small, and packed with features... You need to look for a product niche that really needs improvement. One that hasn't been made to fully work with computers... Look at Apple's digital hub, and find the only device that doesn't normally hook up directly to your computer...

reyesmac
Jul 25, 2002, 11:05 PM
If Apple ever made a device for viewing videos outside your computer it will only be good at only one thing. It would only be good for transporting homevideos to and from imovie to a tv or computer. It probably wont let you take anything but an mpg4 file so it will be useless for taking your already existing collection with you. Plus it will be more expensive than the iPod. If they could only make a mini tv that i could use to watch computer recorded videos on a tv without dvd/vcds. Ad video in ports to new macs, and you will have a bunch of switchers that just want to be able to do that.

west
Jul 25, 2002, 11:08 PM
Interesting ideas. I work with Sony Ericsson, so I can give you some background to the hypothesizing here.

The P800 is due soon, there's no date yet. The hardware is very fixed now but SE are looking to get the developer community involved, see this product as more of a PDA than a phone, with a very open environment for developers. Certainly they would respond favourably to Apple wanting to develop software to run on it. It runs Symbian OS, which is the current OS leader for the next generation of phones (Nokia etc), and is a direct competitor to Microsofts phone platform offering (an offshoot of CE). What you won't see any time soon is a rebadged or redesigned P800, though an iApp or two for it is possible. As for shared hardware for the longer term though... it's always a possibility.

The Chatpen is a VERY cool piece of technology. It's based on Anoto technology (www.anoto.com), which has Ericsson VC behind it. Basically it works on regular paper with a near-invisible pattern printed on it (this can be printed by any laser printer btw). The pen detects your writing and via bluetooth sends what you have written to your PC etc... What makes it great is that the pattern is not uniform, so the pen knows which part of the paper you are writing on. This means, for instance, that if you were doing a multiple choice the pen would know which boxes you were checking. Anyway, there is a good link between this and Inkwell - what the Chatpen doesn't do is handwriting recognition - the written marks are passed as graphics. Using Inkwell to turn this into type would have its uses. And an Apple designed pen should be easy enough to build. There's a great Wired magazine article on this too (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/9.04/anoto.html?pg=1).

Another interesting device is the CG75. (http://www.sonyericsson.com/gc75/). This is a PCMCIA card that offers GSM and GPRS wireless network access. GPRS gives an 'always on' connection with very low latency making surfing with it actually bearable. Some mac drivers for this would be nice, maybe include the auto-network detection in OS X to use airport when available, moving down to GPRS when out of range of a WiFi network. Of course, if you have a bluetooth GPRS phone (like the t68i Jobs was using at MacWorld) and bluetooth on your mac this is obselete, as the mac will use your phone as a modem via bluetooth.

Mac o' sex
Jul 26, 2002, 01:15 AM
Why buy a Chatpen when you can get a wacom tablet for $99? and it has pressure sensitivity...

west
Jul 26, 2002, 01:22 AM
Because the chatpen works on paper... you don't need a tablet.

And you can design a form and print it on that paper so that filling in the form on the paper automatically fills it in digitally also.

Scenario - you are reading a magazine and you see the 'subscribe' insert, and want to subscribe. You write in your details onto the form with your chatpen, and ... you don't need to post it. Since you used a chatpen the details are automatically sent to the magazine subscriptions department (just as if you had filled in the form on the web).

Other possibilities - doctors charts, multiple choice exams, quick sketches, 'saving' your written meeting or lecture notes, added security for checks, etc...

Mac o' sex
Jul 26, 2002, 01:52 AM
sounds alittle too big brothery to me....They know everything you write !!!

beatle888
Jul 26, 2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by 3G4N
how about this?

"The Sony-Ericsson CHA-30 Chatpen – Moving pen and paper into the digital age. Chatpen™ works via a mobile phone to let you communicate both digitally and on paper – simultaneously."

bluetooth, but not released yet.

has InkWell all over it...

maybe a side note when Jag is released?

Holy *****!......ah apple.

beatle888
Jul 26, 2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by Mac o' sex
Why buy a Chatpen when you can get a wacom tablet for $99? and it has pressure sensitivity...

Did you read the post from the guy that works at
SonyErikson? It's the one above your original post....
He says something about using the pen for purposes that
dont require the flexibity of the wacom....plus you
would need a computer terminal for each wacom
tablet....not practical in situations that deal with
his example of the multichoice quiz.....anywhoo
apple will come out with a version much like
the one your thinking of But without the Tablet : )
(he doesnt say without the tablet in his post but
Im an artist and im dreaming : ) )

beatle888
Jul 26, 2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by west
Interesting ideas. I work with Sony Ericsson, so I can give you some background to the hypothesizing here.

wow thanks for sharing! I hope you dont get
in trouble where you work.

3G4N
Jul 26, 2002, 02:17 AM

I'm pretty sure i saw some specs on sony's site that
stated that it did have pressure sensitivity.
Can't seem to find the URL, sorry...

Um, and it wireless.

___pencil and paper : 25 cents.
___wacom tablet : $99.
___sony chatpen : wireless.

sorry : )

I can see this being especially great for students.
No need to sound like a nerd typing during lecture.
Take notes on paper and have it record the text
on you laptop that's still in your backpack...
Or if you're crafty and get another student to
"take your notes" for you ;;>> (winkwink-nudgenudge)
(how would bluetooth handle that situation?)

Just don't loose the pen.

west
Jul 26, 2002, 02:30 AM
The Sony Ericsson Chatpen is not pressure sensitive. It hasn't been envisaged as a 'creative' tool beyond basic sketches etc. However, it is the first public Anoto based product, I see no reason why in the future a pressure sensitive version couldn't be made. If that was done you'd get the functionality of a graphics tablet but without needing the tablet (although Wacom has tilt sensitivity also I think). Also, you don't actually need the computer with you, the pen has memory which saves your drawings and then copies them to your PC when the PC comes online via bluetooth. Or the pen can send the pictures to your PC remotely (or a central server) via your cell phone (using bluetooth again). I could see some .mac services based on this, plus Inkwell of course.

arn
Jul 26, 2002, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by west
The Sony Ericsson Chatpen is not pressure sensitive. It hasn't been envisaged as a 'creative' tool beyond basic sketches etc. However, it is the first public Anoto based product

Hi West,

Thanks for contributing... the information was very interesting...

Of note, I've been watching the anoto for quite some time... Macrumors actually had a link to it in April, 2000 (over two years ago) ( http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2000/04/20000414085359.shtml ).

arn

wHo_tHe
Jul 26, 2002, 12:45 PM
I am almost positive that sony built the 2400c.
The 2400c was the ultra-small portable that has almost cult-like following in japan.

(even more cult-like than apple normally generates! :D)

neilt

EDIT - sorry, did some quick research...it was a joint project with ibm. not Sony. The PowerBook 100 was indeed built by Sony. A fine machine it was! Still have one.

Coming soon: miniMac. Think OQO but slimmer and cooler.

etoiles
Jul 26, 2002, 01:20 PM

a translucent dildo ? (using wifi technology, of course)

pgwalsh
Jul 26, 2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by etoiles

a translucent dildo ? (using wifi technology, of course)

no no no I think you're wrong. I think it's going to be a Vibrator made out of Titanium or that hard plastic. It's called the iVibe. It'll have dual processors and super drive too.

Moonlight
Jul 26, 2002, 01:35 PM
Dildo ? Does it have pressure sensitivity ??? :p

Well, the chatpen sounds like a fun idea, but I just don't see it becoming a extremly usefull device for all mac users.

What would be great is if apple added some of the features of the mindstor digital wallet to the iPod. So that we could download our images from our digital cameras to the iPod without a computer, and view a list of all the files and folders on the iPod. I guess they would need to add USB or a USB adapter to the iPod so it would work with all cameras.

sneed
Jul 26, 2002, 04:27 PM

One reason might be that the wacom tablet for $99 is pretty small (basically the size of an index card), and that price rises dramatically the larger you get. By removing the tablet out of the equation, it should be possible to use a much larger canvas.

Also, while the chat pen may not be pressure sensitive, that doesn't mean it can't be. In the Wacom tablets, I believe that it is the pen that actually registers pressure, tilt, etc.. In anycase, it wouldn't be a huge trick to add that functionality (well, not impossible).