PDA

View Full Version : IMDb Comes to the iPhone

vertigo235
Dec 9, 2009, 05:36 PM
I must say I really like it, it has everything I ever go to imdb.com for and then some bonuses like tonight's TV shows, top lists, etc.

Great app!

UngratefulNinja
Dec 9, 2009, 05:37 PM
Great! I have the site bookmarked on the iphone, but I was waiting for an app :)

Manic Mouse
Dec 9, 2009, 06:37 PM
US only. AGAIN. This is getting annoying!

macfan881
Dec 9, 2009, 06:38 PM
wohoo! bout time.

Pooshka
Dec 9, 2009, 08:33 PM
zomg, I'm definitely replacing the two-dollar Movie Genie with this one!! Woot!!

mrbass
Dec 9, 2009, 09:07 PM
IMDb.com (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imdb/id342792525?mt=8) app free

thanks for the tip

Pika
Dec 10, 2009, 01:39 AM
IMDb.com (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imdb/id342792525?mt=8) app free

thanks for the tip

Not available in Canada.

biggrim
Dec 10, 2009, 02:20 AM
Not available in Canada.

Or the UK. :mad:

Capriccio
Dec 10, 2009, 04:06 AM
and France:(

mickbab
Dec 10, 2009, 04:18 AM
Or Australia. :mad:

Why do they limit it to US?

LostLogik
Dec 10, 2009, 07:24 AM
Given the number of US only apps and the number of complaints about it, it amazes me people don't stop whining about and just go open a US account.

globalist
Dec 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
Given the number of US only apps and the number of complaints about it, it amazes me people don't stop whining about and just go open a US account.

I have my all my apps and phone and stuff registered under my local account. Any idea what happens if I register for a US account and try to change to the new account on the iphone? Will I be able to use my previously bought stuff just by switching between the 2 accounts?

biggrim
Dec 10, 2009, 09:36 AM

In all fairness we shouldn't have to. Unless there is a legit reason for it being U.S. specific (which lets be honest, this app isn't) I see no reason why it isn't made available to EVERYONE from the get go.

LostLogik
Dec 10, 2009, 10:18 AM
I have my all my apps and phone and stuff registered under my local account. Any idea what happens if I register for a US account and try to change to the new account on the iphone? Will I be able to use my previously bought stuff just by switching between the 2 accounts?

If you do it right, nothing happens. The apps from the two accounts will coexist on the iPhone quite happily. When you want apps from US acc, sign out of local acc, sign into US one, get app onto iPhone (or computer, depending on how you're getting it), sign out of US, sign back into local acc, sync. Job done.

LostLogik
Dec 10, 2009, 10:19 AM
In all fairness we shouldn't have to. Unless there is a legit reason for it being U.S. specific (which lets be honest, this app isn't) I see no reason why it isn't made available to EVERYONE from the get go.

Granted. But moaning about it here will have little affect.

MacRumors
Dec 10, 2009, 11:15 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/10/imdb-comes-to-the-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/12/10/121450-imdb_1.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/12/10/121450-imdb_2.jpg

TUAW noted yesterday (http://www.tuaw.com/2009/12/09/how-to-cram-the-entire-internet-movie-database-into-your-iphone/) that the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), a popular source for information on movies and TV, has released a dedicated iPhone application [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/imdb/id342792525?mt=8), Free]. The application allows access to IMDb's full offerings, boasting information on over 1.5 million movies and TV shows and over 3.2 million celebrities.The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) is the largest collection of movie, TV and celebrity information anywhere. We aim to list every detail about every movie and TV show ever made, including who was in it, who made it, the plot, user ratings, trailers, photos, reviews, and trivia.The application also offers access to trailers and photos for a wide variety of movies, as well as information on movie showtimes and TV listings. Further features include a list of the Top 250 movies as ranked my IMDb users, box office results, and recaps of U.S. TV episodes.

Article Link: IMDb Comes to the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/10/imdb-comes-to-the-iphone/)

chimerical
Dec 10, 2009, 11:27 AM
This is great, but I'm surprised there isn't an accompanying mobile site.

drlunanerd
Dec 10, 2009, 11:28 AM
Not in the UK store, as far as I can see :(

design-is
Dec 10, 2009, 11:35 AM
Not in the UK store, as far as I can see :(

Why does this always happen :( Pain in the A$s

Seamaster
Dec 10, 2009, 11:43 AM
Being outside the USA, I'm unable to confirm, but it doesn't appear to offer anything Movie Genie (http://hippofoundry.com/movie-genie/) hasn't already been offering for ages, and that's available internationally.

powaking
Dec 10, 2009, 11:48 AM
:confused:

Why dedicate an app? This is one of those times that it should just be left as a mobile website alternative. See no need to be an app.

Spanky Deluxe
Dec 10, 2009, 11:53 AM
I don't really see the need for this just like I don't see a need for the Wikipedia app. I'd far rather use the actual websites, that's the beauty of the Safari browser. I hope they don't introduce any kind of 'mobile' version of the site either since mobile versions are never as full featured as the full versions, which render fine on the iPhone.

ajnicho
Dec 10, 2009, 11:56 AM

I have a US iTunes account but thats not the point made now is it? If it's not specific to the US it should be available to all. We buy iPhones over the other side of the pond as well you know!

For some people, they mightn't know how to create a US account. I dont see what your problem is - oh yes, you dont have this problem.

mrkgoo
Dec 10, 2009, 12:05 PM
What I like about this app is that it combines features of "Now Playing" with the IMDb. It has location aware search of movie times. It's really fast too - a couple clicks and I can find out what movies are playing around me.

iOrlando
Dec 10, 2009, 12:09 PM
its a great app. maybe my go-to app for anything movie related

ssanders79
Dec 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
I've been waiting for this or a mobile imdb.com site since I first got my iPhone. The other app that used to pull info from imdb stopped working.

Just another app to a site were I can waste hours and hours of time. I even like the link to search on amazon.com.

My initial review of the app is quite favorable. It offers everything I want quick moble access to.

Che Castro
Dec 10, 2009, 12:14 PM

we the best man :D

rth231
Dec 10, 2009, 12:15 PM
IMDb app not available in Canada either.

But it's ok. We had MMS 4 months before the USA, and we have the iPhone on all 4 of our major networks, two of which are 21mbps, miles ahead of AT&T.

casik
Dec 10, 2009, 12:18 PM
Hmmm oh look! Another good app that is crippled by only being offered in the USA. Maybe one of these days developers will realize where Canada is and how similar we are.

casik
Dec 10, 2009, 12:19 PM
IMDb app not available in Canada either.

But it's ok. We had MMS 4 months before the USA, and we have the iPhone on all 4 of our major networks, two of which are 21mbps, miles ahead of AT&T.

Just as a FYI 21Mbps doesn't matter on the iPhone.

NewMacbookPlz
Dec 10, 2009, 12:30 PM
Just as a FYI 21Mbps doesn't matter on the iPhone.

F'reals. It's like when people were complaining that the 3GS didn't get 802.11n. The device isn't even fast enough to be able to use most that available bandwidth.

dejo
Dec 10, 2009, 12:37 PM
Maybe one of these days developers will realize where Canada is and how similar we are.
Homer Simpson said it best (http://homepage.mac.com/dejo/.Public/Sounds/anyone_can_miss_canada.mp3).

jjk454ss
Dec 10, 2009, 01:09 PM
Does IMDB have info about DVD release dates? I don't see it, but it seems like this would be a big thing for them.

rjames86
Dec 10, 2009, 01:15 PM
Finally! Why did it take so long to get this?? Always like to use IMDB while watching movies, etc.

PhantomZone
Dec 10, 2009, 01:23 PM
we the best man :D

rofl...you'd fit right in on sickipedia.org

pw1500
Dec 10, 2009, 01:26 PM
I have a US iTunes account but thats not the point made now is it? If it's not specific to the US it should be available to all. We buy iPhones over the other side of the pond as well you know!

For some people, they mightn't know how to create a US account. I dont see what your problem is - oh yes, you dont have this problem.

The TV listings part of the app is US specific. Hopefully they will release a UK version with UK listings :D

apfhex
Dec 10, 2009, 01:33 PM
This is great, but I'm surprised there isn't an accompanying mobile site.
I'm going to give this app a meh and agree — a mobile/iPhone formatted website would be much better in this case. It's annoying to have an app for every friggin site out there.

yetanotherdave
Dec 10, 2009, 01:39 PM
Why the **** is this restricted to US only ? :confused:

chrisperro
Dec 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
Why the **** is this restricted to US only ? :confused:

make a us account without a credit card ,goggle it .
http://www.winandmac.com/tips/create-free-itunes-account-no-matter-where-you-live-without-using-redeem-code/

mrbass
Dec 10, 2009, 01:54 PM
Best thing about his app is you can use it in landscape all the time. All menus everything. So I set it up on my $15 Griffin Travel Stand and can watch trailers and search in landscape.

Porco
Dec 10, 2009, 01:55 PM
US only again? Fail.

MNLondon
Dec 10, 2009, 03:02 PM
How come so many apps, films and songs are not available in Itunes Stores outside the US (including this one, and the Nuance dictation app)?

Grrr

bonswizzle
Dec 10, 2009, 04:19 PM

I agree, it's so frustrating to click a link and want to download a useful app, but get shot down as soon as iTunes opens.

Doctor Q
Dec 10, 2009, 08:56 PM
This is good news. When we're out to dinner we somehow end up talking about movies. Invariably we end up having to look something up in IMDB. This app will make it faster so we can get to our dessert. :)

Dec 10, 2009, 09:24 PM

..or anywhere else. Smells like discrimination, not like localization to me..

jecapaga
Dec 10, 2009, 09:51 PM
Great app so far as I can tell. It's addicting!

Worthy.Of.Ed
Dec 11, 2009, 12:29 AM

Because they're dumb. America thinks they're the centre of the universe.

Pika
Dec 11, 2009, 03:22 AM
make a us account without a credit card ,goggle it .
http://www.winandmac.com/tips/create-free-itunes-account-no-matter-where-you-live-without-using-redeem-code/

iTunes is asking for an address and a zip code... how am i suppose to do that legally ? I'm no identity thief like you...

soulghost
Dec 11, 2009, 04:48 AM
iTunes is asking for an address and a zip code... how am i suppose to do that legally ? I'm no identity thief like you...

I just used an address and phone no for a massage parlour in Brooklyn.:cool:

rich2000
Dec 11, 2009, 05:39 AM
Hmmm oh look! Another good app that is crippled by only being offered in the USA. Maybe one of these days developers will realize where Canada is and how similar we are.

Maybe they'll realise the vast majority of the world's population live outside the USA!

tbealmear
Dec 11, 2009, 10:04 AM
Because they're dumb. America thinks they're the centre of the universe.

No we don't, the application developers do. Don't blame us for the stupid developers.

venasque
Dec 11, 2009, 10:34 AM

I don't agree. Making our voice heard is our right. We shouldn't have to just suck it up if we don't like something. We should be able to voice our displeasure and the decisions made by some companies. We're not all sheep that intend to lay down and shut up.

If you truly believe we have no right to complain, then you are not allowed to ever do the same yourself.

Edit: This is a mobile version I have been using in place of a decent app. For those interested in an alterative.

http://imdb.zeddy.org/index.php

LeoNobilis
Dec 11, 2009, 12:25 PM
Nothing new here: the bloody thing is available in "Dude-"land App Store only! As with so many rather all right iPhone applications developed by good men in North American outback lately, the developer is likely adamant that Europeans wouldn't care much for IMDB for iPhone.

Why would we, "gay" Europeans (right, all things abhorred in the US, Urban Dictionary, the American equivalent of Encyclopaedia Britannica, calls "gay", doesn't it!), need anything like an iPhone application! Come on, why would [some] Americans need Lamborghini, Ferrari or Bugatti!

It could, however, also be that Europe was reckoned a cowboy town somewhere in remote Texas by the illustrious developer, doubting not that we'd access it just as the locals do… if so, then accusations of chauvinism are most inappropriate, aren't they! Of erudition, yes (nothing new there!), but not of intentional, nationalist discrimination.

To summarise my say, let me recite Miss USA, sarah palin': "US pwned Europe!"

thelordnyax
Dec 12, 2009, 12:57 AM

because it IS US specific...there's movie showtimes on TV Listings incorporated...and it uses your location to determine these...and while they could've just disabled this...they didn't...maybe they're working on it....hang in there!
heck maybe they have versions for other countries just waiting for App Approval...
whatever the case...i'm not sure macrumors can help...

Enigmah
Dec 14, 2009, 10:11 PM
Don't think this is in the U.K Store yet ? :eek: