PDA

View Full Version : TomTom Introduces U.S.-Only GPS iPhone Application for $49.99

MacRumors
Dec 11, 2009, 02:11 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/11/tomtom-introduces-u-s-only-gps-iphone-application-for-49-99/)

TomTom today launched TomTom U.S.A. [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-u-s-a/id343289842?mt=8)], a new U.S.-only GPS navigation application for the iPhone carrying an introductory price of $49.99 through December 28th.

The introductory price marks a 50% savings over the current regular price of the original TomTom U.S. & Canada [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tomtom-u-s-canada/id326075661?mt=8), $99.99] while retaining coverage of 99.9% of all U.S. states (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Puerto Rico and dropping only coverage of Canada. TomTom does not appear to have released a corresponding Canada-only version at this time, and it is unknown if it has plans to do so in the future.

Also unknown is TomTom U.S.A.'s planned regular price point. TomTom U.S. & Canada has consistently been priced (http://appshopper.com/navigation/tomtom-us-canada) at its regular $99.99 price point since its introduction in August, with the exception of a brief discount to $69.99 around Black Friday.

Article Link: TomTom Introduces U.S.-Only GPS iPhone Application for $49.99 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/11/tomtom-introduces-u-s-only-gps-iphone-application-for-49-99/)

Chaos123x
Dec 11, 2009, 02:23 PM
Wow I might actually buy this, always wanted to get the TomTom App.

But with everyone's praise of navigon and googles free app looming on the horizon I am still not sure.

Doju
Dec 11, 2009, 02:33 PM
Ugh, difficult choice. Navigon's UI is so primitive and bland compared to TomTom's fresh, modern and artistic design. Navigon may have more features, but most of which I don't care about. 99% of the time I'll be looking at the GPS, and quite simply TomTom looks a lot better.

I'll wait it out.

n928kc
Dec 11, 2009, 02:44 PM
hey.... does the tomtom tts dim the music when tts is spoken?

djinn
Dec 11, 2009, 02:46 PM
Ugh, difficult choice. Navigon's UI is so primitive and bland compared to TomTom's fresh, modern and artistic design. Navigon may have more features, but most of which I don't care about. 99% of the time I'll be looking at the GPS, and quite simply TomTom looks a lot better.

I'll wait it out.

Don't forget about the Magellan one.

BryanLyle
Dec 11, 2009, 02:48 PM
Of course they did. Had I known this was coming, I wouldn't have gotten the US/Canadian version.

phantom5251
Dec 11, 2009, 03:02 PM
I made the investment to get TomTom while it was on sale over the Thanksgiving weekend. In some ways I do like it better than Navigon in that you can actually read the road names.

rob1
Dec 11, 2009, 03:13 PM
I got the car kit and the app. Paid full price...ouch!

Loved it, BUT...

-Car kit kept rotating (from horizontal to vertical) when my car hit bumps
-Dealing with TomTom for the exchange is a nightmare - service is terrible!
-In my experience, the app doesn't work well without the car kit :(

newkidonthebloc
Dec 11, 2009, 03:20 PM
For me Navigon has worked better than Tom Tom in getting the GPS lock and route selection. Also, live traffic on Navigon is simply awesome and has saved me hours.

I wonder why the latest Navigon update 1.4 hasn't yet been released after being submitted over a week or two ago. Does Apple have a tie up with Tom Tom?? :confused:

jav6454
Dec 11, 2009, 03:23 PM
I can get free Google directions thru the Maps app, so I still no point in buying this app yet. All it really adds is voice to your turn-by-turn, and I don't think that alone is worth $50. It might be worth $30 though.

slffl
Dec 11, 2009, 03:28 PM
Wow I might actually buy this, always wanted to get the TomTom App.

But with everyone's praise of navigon and googles free app looming on the horizon I am still not sure.

They only praise navigon because it's the only one most of them have used. I have used a standalone navigon PND and didn't like it at all. Also they use Navteq maps, which in my area, are 10+ years out of date.

I would wait for the Google app. But if not I think the TomTom will have the best map data out of all of the apps (except Google's).

iphone1105
Dec 11, 2009, 03:34 PM
Maybe I will pick up the US Map only version for $49.99. Thats not bad, and it lasts until a day after Christmas(when lots of people get those $50 iTunes cards).

Hmmmmmm, tempting...

rob1
Dec 11, 2009, 03:34 PM
My guess is that Apple will produce their own nav app that will

1-come as part of the standard apps on the iphone
2-make all these other apps unnecessary

applehappy
Dec 11, 2009, 03:37 PM
SOLD! Now that price is more like it!! Now if the car kit would come down to $70 or so I'd buy that too.

sesnir
Dec 11, 2009, 03:41 PM
For my purposes, MotionX GPS Drive works well and is really cheap.

dmk1974
Dec 11, 2009, 04:05 PM
Is Canada really the only area dropped compared to the $100 version? I need to make sure it still has Puerto Rico for some work travels.

Also, does it have all of the same functions? TTS, etc? Or is anything stripped out?

ortuno2k
Dec 11, 2009, 04:09 PM
I really don't see the point. The built-in Maps app works fine. I've used it both in-town and when traveling and has worked fine all the time. No need to throw away $50.

ihonda
Dec 11, 2009, 04:12 PM
ur clueless thats why, the built-in isnt as good for turn by turn

navguy
Dec 11, 2009, 04:24 PM
... hold on to your hats, most likely Navigon will follow and be $10 less

prices are falling like snow!:D:D

if you own Navigon already, this will be the worst $50 you spend to try a lesser product ... don't

phaedarus
Dec 11, 2009, 04:58 PM
Does the GPS still work if you have no WIFI or active subscription with your carrier using TomTom?

MTShipp
Dec 11, 2009, 04:58 PM
I really like my Navigon but on a recent trip from NC to DC, I found out I do not like it as much as I did before the trip.

If, for any reason, you lose the GPS signal even temporarily, Navigon REFUSES to re-aquire the GPS while running down the Interstate. However, when I pulled over for gas, within 2 seconds, BAM! Back on track.

20 minutes later, it dropped the GPS again and remained "red" for the remaining 100 miles until I hit the exit ramp. Once I made my stop to exit, it grabbed the GPS again. :mad::mad: Apparently, if running at highway speed, it can not lock on until you slow down near a crawl.

navguy
Dec 11, 2009, 05:01 PM
... for long trips, the car kit's probably necessary.

texasguy
Dec 11, 2009, 05:30 PM
I've heard lots of cons about the TomTom holder...it moves, it's expensive, etc. Help me out but isn't the idea just to hold the device horizontal and to enable it to plug into the 12volt outlet? Are there not other such holders out there? Help!
Thanks.

labman
Dec 11, 2009, 05:42 PM
For my purposes, MotionX GPS Drive works well and is really cheap.

MotionX works great for me no issues most the times I don't need fancy gps. but these day a dedicated GPS are so cheap. Just buy a real GPS then when it's map is out of date sell it on Craigs and get the latest model and Map.

Redline13
Dec 11, 2009, 06:18 PM
Introductory price of 49.99? That should be the permanent price.

navguy
Dec 11, 2009, 06:25 PM
Great stratey to get lots of new customers ... Can't wait for TomTom to introduce their traffic, fuel, google search, etc ... for $9.99 / month, like their current TomTom Services offerings for dedicated GPS. Enjoy ...

http://www.tomtom.com/services/

99MustangGTman
Dec 11, 2009, 08:08 PM
I like the free version...

notjustjay
Dec 11, 2009, 09:04 PM
*sniff* Where's the love? *sad*

rstansby
Dec 11, 2009, 11:57 PM
I can get free Google directions thru the Maps app, so I still no point in buying this app yet. All it really adds is voice to your turn-by-turn, and I don't think that alone is worth $50. It might be worth $30 though.

It may not be worth it for you, but it does add maps to your phone so that you can use the GPS when you don't a data connection. That might make it worth $50+ for some people.

Randman
Dec 12, 2009, 12:15 AM
Navigon still is king of the iPhone GPS apps.

hailst0rm
Dec 12, 2009, 02:43 AM
I've tried both Navigon and iGo and I'm not impressed. Tomtom's IQ routes is what makes it worth it. Much more sensible and quicker routes.

1rottenapple
Dec 12, 2009, 03:45 AM
Ive used both the tomtom and use the navigon app. anyway, I prefer navigon. the iphone integration is 10x better and the UI is built with the iphone in mind (contacts, favs, recent routes, etc... on the bottom of the screen like the ipod/phone/other iphone UI menu. I definitely urge everyone to take the navigon app over tomtom.

bbotte
Dec 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
I bought it, I thought Navigon was over the internet? Good luck with no service from ****** AT&T. Now I want the Car kit at half off, come on Tom Tom, I'll buy 2 for the price of one.

Nice to note that because the wife and I share the same iTunes account, this app was really $25 per phone.

RussOniPhone
Dec 12, 2009, 10:41 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Could have save $50 if they would have come out with this first. It's their way of increasing sales, not in the best interest of the customer.

RussOniPhone
Dec 12, 2009, 10:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Now hearing the car kit has issues, someone said when you hit a bumb in the road it changes postion from vertical to horizontal. I like TomTom because it works better than any other GPS when you start off, shopping mall, college campus, it works better than even my Garmin 760, yet it's bad at loosing signal, perfect view of the sky on highway, this happens a lot. Hope the car kit isn't as bad as the app when it comes to reception.

jav6454
Dec 12, 2009, 11:04 AM
It may not be worth it for you, but it does add maps to your phone so that you can use the GPS when you don't a data connection. That might make it worth $50+ for some people.

Cydia helped me download the many Google maps for the areas I frequent and areas I would visit before hand, so in case I'm out cold of data, I have backup.

navguy
Dec 12, 2009, 11:31 AM
Could have save $50 if they would have come out with this first. It's their way of increasing sales, not in the best interest of the customer.

TT is scrambling cause they got duped by Navigon's overall quality and initial marketshare grab ...

... and i'll tell you what's not going to be in the best interest of their customers, watch out for the release of "TomTom Live Services" for $9.99 / mo after the holiday rush ... and this app will start looking a lot like AT&T Navigator cost structure ...

http://www.tomtom.com/services/

p.s. for the sake of all the TT customers, I honestly hope they don't pull a stunt like this

djdole
Dec 12, 2009, 12:31 PM
I really don't see the point. The built-in Maps app works fine. I've used it both in-town and when traveling and has worked fine all the time. No need to throw away $50.

You've obviously never used turn-by-turn. The built-in app doesn't have that functionality.
Though I agree that the built-in app is more than adequate when on foot. Especially with the 3GS's compass feature (twice-tap the gps button and the map rotates and shows you which way you're facing), but the built-in map is far from useful when driving.

If you're using the built-in app while driving, (WAY unsafe), I'll have to yet another reason to avoid driving Florida (besides all the senior-citizen drivers). :-p

abulloch
Dec 12, 2009, 01:34 PM
What about Waze? Free and open source.

navguy
Dec 12, 2009, 01:51 PM
What about Waze? Free and open source.

Recruit new customers to help draw new areas of the map that don't exist ... no thanks. i use my satnav to get to an obscure destination now, not draw a new line to it

navguy
Dec 12, 2009, 08:58 PM
I know we have a relatively small sample set, but I'm curious how many people bought TomTom at $49.99 today? Or will soon ...

And if you did, were you considering the $99 ... or better yet would you have paid $69 if the discount returned?

I'm curious whether TomTom is driving incremental business ... or canibalizing their higher priced app and therefore giving away revenue.

marketing strategies and purchasing behaviors fascinate me

Anyone?

Lancetx
Dec 12, 2009, 10:30 PM
I bought it today for $49.99 and after testing it out a bit this afternoon I'm happy I did as it's actually pretty impressive. I had been waiting for a price drop as I thought $99.99 was too much and I had missed out on the $69.99 Black Friday promo. Since I have absolutely no need for the Canadian maps, I'm now definitely glad I did. It was worth the wait to get it now for half the original price.

Rayfire
Dec 13, 2009, 12:05 AM
Is Canada really the only area dropped compared to the $100 version? I need to make sure it still has Puerto Rico for some work travels.

Also, does it have all of the same functions? TTS, etc? Or is anything stripped out?

According to the app's description, it still has Puerto Rico.

metsgiantsfan
Dec 13, 2009, 11:14 AM
My guess is that Apple will produce their own nav app that will

1-come as part of the standard apps on the iphone
2-make all these other apps unnecessary

I agree...I think Apple will get rid of Google Maps by sending it to the App Store, and develop its own app. Remember this? http://www.macrumors.com/2009/09/30/apple-acquired-mapping-company-placebase-in-july/

Nuvi
Dec 13, 2009, 11:47 AM
They only praise navigon because it's the only one most of them have used. I have used a standalone navigon PND and didn't like it at all. Also they use Navteq maps, which in my area, are 10+ years out of date.

I would wait for the Google app. But if not I think the TomTom will have the best map data out of all of the apps (except Google's).

LOL, you fail. I used to own high end TomTom 930 but after using Navigon on my iPhone I decided to sell it. TomTom app looks horrible and is way behind Navigon. Honestly, if I were to by stand alone navigator I would go for Navigon. Their models are light years ahead of TomTom. Regarding the maps your milage may vary but at least in my area Navteq is much better then Tele Atlas.

Tomar
Dec 14, 2009, 12:02 PM
I was waiting on the free Google app but my understanding is that you need cellular service at a minimum to download the data for turn-by-turn to work. IMHO, you are more likely to need directions when in an area that does not have cellular service.

I think I may buy this app.

McDughf
Dec 14, 2009, 12:08 PM
-Car kit kept rotating (from horizontal to vertical) when my car hit bumps

Why does this make me laugh so much?
:p

convergent
Dec 15, 2009, 07:42 AM
I've heard lots of cons about the TomTom holder...it moves, it's expensive, etc. Help me out but isn't the idea just to hold the device horizontal and to enable it to plug into the 12volt outlet? Are there not other such holders out there? Help!
Thanks.

No, you are missing the key ingredient in the car kit... the GPS receiver. There is no other adapter that will enhance the GPS signal that the iPhone uses for navigating.

dstrauss
Dec 15, 2009, 10:02 AM
I have to agree with the "no data connection" crowd. I LOVE FREE! But when do I need directions the most - normally outside of data coverage areas, or where I just can't afford to wait for an AT&T cell tower to lighten up enough to deliver decent 3G downloads (gotta laugh there a minute). Just knowing I have the maps onboard is comforting.

rob1
Dec 21, 2009, 08:17 PM
I've seen a lot of questions about this, so here is my experience...

1-I found the TomTom car kit is a must for the app to work in big city driving
2-Yes, my car kit rotates when I hit bumps :(

rob1
Dec 21, 2009, 08:21 PM
...by the way, TomTom has been a nightmare to deal with.

They had me mail in my defective TomTom car kit. Said 1-2 weeks to replace...5 weeks ago!

I called and they were clueless, unhelpful, and actually a bit rude. Now I find out that they are out of stock. I bet that they are having to redesign the TomTom car kit, to fix the "rotate upon bump" issue.

navguy
Dec 26, 2009, 01:52 PM
I've seen a lot of questions about this, so here is my experience...

1-I found the TomTom car kit is a must for the app to work in big city driving
2-Yes, my car kit rotates when I hit bumps :(

After testing new TomTom car kit this morning, I am going to like it a lot.

Re: bumps ... mine does not rotate (although there is a limit to the size of bump i'll try) ... couple of thoughts; 1. make sure the mount is balanced in the middle notch - slide to center of back of mount; and 2. make sure the power line doesn't create add'l weight on mount (or tug) - i have mine running up dash, wedged into seam (as it makes more aesthetic look anyways) - and no weight on mount.

Granted this is first test drive, but very satisfied so far.

to confirm ... on a black 3GS, Navigon 1.4 w/ fixed price traffic, free google search, and TT car kit ... unbeatable! :D:D

Galley
Dec 26, 2009, 03:52 PM
D'oh! Replied to the wrong thread.

safdsfg
Dec 28, 2009, 07:26 AM
I accept with information:The introductory price marks a 50% savings over the current regular price of the original TomTom U.S. & Canada [App Store, $99.99] while retaining coverage of 99.9% of all U.S. states (including Alaska and Hawaii) and Puerto Rico and dropping only coverage of Canada. TomTom does not appear to have released a corresponding Canada-only version at this time, and it is unknown if it has plans to do so in the future.