Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calderone

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
It actually happened yesterday, but today I was greeted by sharp pieces of plastic jutting out the back.

I actually sustained more damage than this, when I opened it yesterday, the left hinge snapped and sent the laptop onto the floor denting the bottom right corner in. That corner was then scratching the top case, so I had to bend the dent outward.

I know the hinge is covered, http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2948, but I am hoping Apple won't give me a hassle on fixing the damage brought about by their faulty design.

calderone

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
You mus have opened it up very fast for the display aluminum to bend. But I hope Apple fixes that flaws in their $1400 notebook.

When I opened it, the hinge gave up and the display slammed onto the floor. I opened it normally except this time the hinge decided to give up.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I thought the hinge issue was only with rev A?! Rev B's also have this problem?

Yes, Rev A and B. Rev A also had heat issues which I believe Apple also covered somehow.

I know a Rev B owner who had his hinge replaced. I sold mine but had (confirmed) very little play in it when I did sell it.

mcpryon2

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2008
I have a rev b with a loose lid. There was over an inch of slack in it. I took it to the Apple Store and the "genius" had no clue what I was talking about. In fact, I had to show him the replacement criteria on the site. They fixed it after that under warranty. I'm glad I wasn't somebody who didn't know about the issue.

bossxii

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
Kansas City
I thought the hinge issue was only with rev A?! Rev B's also have this problem?

Unless someone can show proof of a case/hinge redesign, A, B and Rev C seem to all have the same hinges. I've used A's and B's, both felt cheap and developed "slop" in the hinge in a very short time. Avoided the C and am waiting for a complete overhaul in design for the hinge, the heat issues and the trackpad upgrade to a glass trackpad.

ctrack52

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2009
I have a rev b with a loose lid. There was over an inch of slack in it. I took it to the Apple Store and the "genius" had no clue what I was talking about. In fact, I had to show him the replacement criteria on the site. They fixed it after that under warranty. I'm glad I wasn't somebody who didn't know about the issue.

I just got my MBA rev B last week. There is a bit of slack in the screen but every one I check has some slack. I did take mine to the Apple Store to have it checked and the "tech" told me that it was within "normal Specs". So not much I can do to counter the diagnosis. Hopefully it will hold up for the next 3 years, which is as long as I keep a computer. However, I am apprehensive about the screen and probably won't use my MBA as much as I planned. I'm hanging on to my Macbook (core duo) a bit longer. Now where is the replacement criteria?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.