PDA

View Full Version : Well, my "rev B" hinge just broke

calderone
Dec 13, 2009, 08:29 PM
It actually happened yesterday, but today I was greeted by sharp pieces of plastic jutting out the back.

I actually sustained more damage than this, when I opened it yesterday, the left hinge snapped and sent the laptop onto the floor denting the bottom right corner in. That corner was then scratching the top case, so I had to bend the dent outward.

I know the hinge is covered, http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2948, but I am hoping Apple won't give me a hassle on fixing the damage brought about by their faulty design.

ouimetnick
Dec 13, 2009, 08:33 PM
You mus have opened it up very fast for the display aluminum to bend. But I hope Apple fixes that flaws in their $1400 notebook.

calderone
Dec 13, 2009, 08:40 PM
You mus have opened it up very fast for the display aluminum to bend. But I hope Apple fixes that flaws in their $1400 notebook.

When I opened it, the hinge gave up and the display slammed onto the floor. I opened it normally except this time the hinge decided to give up.

calderone
Dec 17, 2009, 12:34 PM
Just an update. Apple is going to cover everything.

Gadgetman99
Dec 17, 2009, 07:19 PM
I thought the hinge issue was only with rev A?! Rev B's also have this problem?

GoCubsGo
Dec 17, 2009, 07:22 PM

Yes, Rev A and B. Rev A also had heat issues which I believe Apple also covered somehow.

I know a Rev B owner who had his hinge replaced. I sold mine but had (confirmed) very little play in it when I did sell it.

mcpryon2
Dec 17, 2009, 08:24 PM
I have a rev b with a loose lid. There was over an inch of slack in it. I took it to the Apple Store and the "genius" had no clue what I was talking about. In fact, I had to show him the replacement criteria on the site. They fixed it after that under warranty. I'm glad I wasn't somebody who didn't know about the issue.

bossxii
Dec 21, 2009, 06:02 PM

Unless someone can show proof of a case/hinge redesign, A, B and Rev C seem to all have the same hinges. I've used A's and B's, both felt cheap and developed "slop" in the hinge in a very short time. Avoided the C and am waiting for a complete overhaul in design for the hinge, the heat issues and the trackpad upgrade to a glass trackpad.

ctrack52
Dec 21, 2009, 10:29 PM
I have a rev b with a loose lid. There was over an inch of slack in it. I took it to the Apple Store and the "genius" had no clue what I was talking about. In fact, I had to show him the replacement criteria on the site. They fixed it after that under warranty. I'm glad I wasn't somebody who didn't know about the issue.

I just got my MBA rev B last week. There is a bit of slack in the screen but every one I check has some slack. I did take mine to the Apple Store to have it checked and the "tech" told me that it was within "normal Specs". So not much I can do to counter the diagnosis. Hopefully it will hold up for the next 3 years, which is as long as I keep a computer. However, I am apprehensive about the screen and probably won't use my MBA as much as I planned. I'm hanging on to my Macbook (core duo) a bit longer. Now where is the replacement criteria?