PDA

View Full Version : 'TomTom U.S. & Canada' Price Temporarily Cut to $69.99

MacRumors
Dec 14, 2009, 01:57 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/14/tomtom-u-s-and-canada-price-temporarily-cut-to-69-99/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/12/14/145605-tomtom_us_canada_sale.png

On Friday, we noted (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/11/tomtom-introduces-u-s-only-gps-iphone-application-for-49-99/) that TomTom U.S.A., a new U.S.-only GPS navigation iPhone application had appeared with a promotional price of $49.99 through December 28th. The introduction was notable because it was priced a full 50% lower than the original TomTom U.S. & Canada application while lacking only Canadian navigation information.

Canadian shoppers and cross-border U.S. travelers looking to pick up the TomTom software might want to check again, as TomTom has now cut the price of TomTom U.S. & Canada [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/tomtom-u-s-canada/id326075661?mt=8)] by 30% to $69.99 through December 28th. Both applications are now also sporting holiday-themed App Store icons.

While we still don't know what the full price of TomTom U.S.A. will be once the promotional period is over, the 30% discount on TomTom U.S. & Canada suggests that TomTom U.S.A. may eventually see a regular price in the neighborhood of $64.99.

Article Link: 'TomTom U.S. & Canada' Price Temporarily Cut to $69.99 (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/14/tomtom-u-s-and-canada-price-temporarily-cut-to-69-99/)

rstansby
Dec 14, 2009, 03:05 PM
Tom Tom sure got a lot of free advertising from this site.

Diode
Dec 14, 2009, 03:25 PM
Come on cheap Navigon!

Sbrocket
Dec 14, 2009, 04:19 PM

Many, many application developers get a lot of free advertising from this and other similar news sites or blogs. That's how it works.

bbotte
Dec 14, 2009, 04:19 PM
waiting on the 50% off sale on the car kit.

MacPhilosopher
Dec 14, 2009, 05:08 PM

My first thought as soon as I noticed the sidebar headline: Tom-Tom sure gets a lot of attention from this site, a lot more than other products. What's the deal?

koobcamuk
Dec 14, 2009, 05:18 PM
I am glad illegal downloads of this application exist, if they can do things like this. It's disgusting. :mad:

Arcady
Dec 14, 2009, 05:38 PM
waiting on the 50% off sale on the car kit.

Seriously. $120 for a plastic bracket with a couple connectors and a GPS receiver is a complete ripoff. I'd pay maybe $50 max.

navguy
Dec 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
TomTom is beating Navigon at the discounted pricing game in December, like Navigon pulled on TomTom in November ... and trying to make a dent in Navigon's head start in the iPhone market ... oh yeah, and gabbing holiday customers so that in January they can launch TomTom Live Services (www.tomtom.com/services/) for $9.99/mo for traffic, google search, etc ... that'll be fun.

DeeTee
Dec 15, 2009, 04:08 AM
No discount for the UK! Less roads, the app is almost 1gb smaller, rip off prices. Bah Humbug.

They should be renamed ScroogeScrooge for the festive period!

bretm
Dec 15, 2009, 08:34 AM
Seriously. $120 for a plastic bracket with a couple connectors and a GPS receiver is a complete ripoff. I'd pay maybe $50 max.

Seriously, go find a bluetooth speakerphone with GPS and iphone bracket for $50. You won't even find a decent bluetooth speakerphone for $50. Why do people seem to forget this part of the device? Pretty amazing really. But why they thought that focusing on the high end market I don't know. I do think they should include the software, or at least a US only version or a downscaled version that you can upgrade for a smaller price.

Revelation78
Dec 15, 2009, 08:43 AM
TomTom is beating Navigon at the discounted pricing game in December, like Navigon pulled on TomTom in November ... and trying to make a dent in Navigon's head start in the iPhone market ... oh yeah, and gabbing holiday customers so that in January they can launch TomTom Live Services (www.tomtom.com/services/) for $9.99/mo for traffic, google search, etc ... that'll be fun.

Simply because that $9.99 covers transmitting the data through cell/radio waves. TomTom has to pay for it, so they pass it on to the customer. Will they still charge, it's possible - most likely, however I don't see them charing $9.99 per month for it.

wacky4alanis
Dec 15, 2009, 10:16 AM
Is there any way to upgrade from the $49.99 (USA) version to the $69.99 (USA+Canada) version?

zenoran
Dec 15, 2009, 10:49 AM
I think it's pretty much stupid to pay any amount over $10 for an app that is going to become obsolete once google releases their nav program on the iphone.

None of these nav apps take full advantage of the internet connectivity nor have the POI resources that google has with their system. The big question is how much is google nav going to cost once it hits the app store? Traditionally, google's apps are free... It's free on android we've never really seen anything google-wise that requires a monthly fee so chances are Navigon, Tomtom, and all these other gps apps are going to be left in the dust with people regretting they paid the high price tags once Google nav hits the iphone.

Also with Apple buying a mapping company? You know they have something in the works to replace native google maps on the iphone and I'm sure it will have nav too... *shrug*

! V !
Dec 15, 2009, 11:21 AM

At 50% off it should bring the cost to about $60 and then couple that with the Navigon app and you are set.

I used to have many GPS standalone devices and I found out for my needs all I need is a map and caching it works for me. Having the TT GPS HW and Navigon app is only a bonus to lighten my wallet. ;)

! V !
Dec 15, 2009, 11:25 AM
Also with Apple buying a mapping company? You know they have something in the works to replace native google maps on the iphone and I'm sure it will have nav too... *shrug*

:apple: buying a mapping company = GPS chip in future iPT. :D

Seriously these Nav companies know they days are numbered that is why they are selling they products at discounts. I noticed this when Google demoed its Nav app. I give it 6-12 months before these Nav companies call it quits. :)

aluren
Dec 15, 2009, 11:51 AM
:apple: buying a mapping company = GPS chip in future iPT. :D

Seriously these Nav companies know they days are numbered that is why they are selling they products at discounts. I noticed this when Google demoed its Nav app. I give it 6-12 months before these Nav companies call it quits. :)

But doesn't the Google nav require internet connectivity to show the map? I would much prefer a Navigon or TomTom where the maps are already in the phone so it doesn't need the crappy At&T data connectivity. But I'm sure this preference is a minority and many will enjoy the free GPS from Google.

lordhamster
Dec 15, 2009, 11:51 AM
I am glad illegal downloads of this application exist, if they can do things like this. It's disgusting. :mad:

Oh yes it's so terrible that a company should be able to adjust their prices according to market demand. Oh the humanity!

Next time I'm sure they'll phone you for permission first.

BuddyTronic
Dec 15, 2009, 06:59 PM
No discount for the UK! Less roads, the app is almost 1gb smaller, rip off prices. Bah Humbug.

They should be renamed ScroogeScrooge for the festive period!

Haha, yeah they should sell it at a price rated to the length of the roads it maps..lol.

BuddyTronic
Dec 15, 2009, 07:01 PM
Seriously, go find a bluetooth speakerphone with GPS and iphone bracket for $50. You won't even find a decent bluetooth speakerphone for $50. Why do people seem to forget this part of the device? Pretty amazing really. But why they thought that focusing on the high end market I don't know. I do think they should include the software, or at least a US only version or a downscaled version that you can upgrade for a smaller price.

+1

so many price complainers don't consider things like that.

navguy
Dec 15, 2009, 11:01 PM
Simply because that $9.99 covers transmitting the data through cell/radio waves. TomTom has to pay for it, so they pass it on to the customer. Will they still charge, it's possible - most likely, however I don't see them charing $9.99 per month for it.

maybe, but i'm not willing to roll the dice ...

Is there any way to upgrade from the $49.99 (USA) version to the $69.99 (USA+Canada) version?

if there isn't an 'in app' purchase option, then no ... poor marketing and customer service to keep flip-flopping the pricing and app options on customers ...

I think it's pretty much stupid to pay any amount over $10 for an app that is going to become obsolete once google releases their nav program on the iphone.

Google has a long way to go to match what TT, M, G, and N functionality ... it just doesn't happen w/ a snap of a finger and a beta launch. i've been keeping an eye on the Google Map Nav forums ... 2 years minimum ... unless they aquire

None of these nav apps take full advantage of the internet connectivity nor have the POI resources that google has with their system.

Navigon offers Google Local Search (v1.4) ... free

The big question is how much is google nav going to cost once it hits the app store? Traditionally, google's apps are free... It's free on android we've never really seen anything google-wise that requires a monthly fee so chances are Navigon, Tomtom, and all these other gps apps are going to be left in the dust with people regretting they paid the high price tags once Google nav hits the iphone.

Maybe, maybe not ...

Same w/ Apple, unless they acquire a nav company, it'll take years to compete ...

Nuvi
Dec 17, 2009, 05:36 AM
Its great to see lots of competition between navigation apps, however I think TomTom has already lost the competition to Navigon. The latest Navigon 1.4 release is on par with the most advanced TomTom stand alone navigators and easily beats TomTom's iPhone app. Anyway, as others, I also do wonder why TomTom is getting so much press with this site. I would understand it if TomTom did something ground breaking but lets face it, TomTom is just another navigation software and I believe its safe to say its the one thats just playing catch up with the leading apps.

lordhamster
Dec 17, 2009, 06:47 AM
Its great to see lots of competition between navigation apps, however I think TomTom has already lost the competition to Navigon. The latest Navigon 1.4 release is on par with the most advanced TomTom stand alone navigators and easily beats TomTom's iPhone app. Anyway, as others, I also do wonder why TomTom is getting so much press with this site. I would understand it if TomTom did something ground breaking but lets face it, TomTom is just another navigation software and I believe its safe to say its the one thats just playing catch up with the leading apps.

The TomTom app has three things going for it.

1. The IQRoutes technology is unmatched on the iPhone.
2. The ability to selectively avoid certain roads in the route.
3. Speed. -- Navigon is like molasses on an iPhone 3G whereas TomTom runs fine.

However, I agree that TomTom has been asleep at the wheel. The ironic thing is that for years TomTom Navigators have had advanced internet based functions available to even the cheapest models. If I connected my TomTomOne (years and years ago) via bluetooth to my phone, I got Traffic reports, Buddy locations and a host of other apps. Why then do they seem incapable of delivering this same technology to iPhone users? I mean clearly they already have the servers up and running.

navguy
Dec 17, 2009, 09:02 AM
i'm waiting for MacRumors to begin a News thread for Navigon v1.4 ... very newsworthy, and at $59.99 beats the socks off TomTom ... extra newsworthy. We'll see ...

i wonder if it has anything to do w/ the Apple / TomTom relationship bias ...

Apple should just acquire Navigon and be done w/ all this :D:D

Nuvi
Dec 17, 2009, 11:54 AM
The TomTom app has three things going for it.

1. The IQRoutes technology is unmatched on the iPhone.
2. The ability to selectively avoid certain roads in the route.
3. Speed. -- Navigon is like molasses on an iPhone 3G whereas TomTom runs fine.

However, I agree that TomTom has been asleep at the wheel. The ironic thing is that for years TomTom Navigators have had advanced internet based functions available to even the cheapest models. If I connected my TomTomOne (years and years ago) via bluetooth to my phone, I got Traffic reports, Buddy locations and a host of other apps. Why then do they seem incapable of delivering this same technology to iPhone users? I mean clearly they already have the servers up and running.

I'm long time TomTom user and I have done parallel testing with my TT 930, TT iPhone and Navigon iPhone apps.

1. IQ Routes sound great and advanced but in reality I haven't seen any significant advantage. The routing advantages / disadvantages are more down to map data then anything else.
2. Navigon has option to avoid selected roads.
3. I've used Navigon with my iPhone 3G and 3G S. Both of them have worked without any problems. However, start up times on 3G were long although according to Navigon the 1.4 start up is snappier.

Regarding the TomTom iPhone apps lack of advanced features is most likely due to their product positioning strategy. TomTom iPhone app isn't designed to be state of the art navigation software. Its entry level product which doesn't compete with their own stand alone products. It seems Navigon has chosen different policy in which it is bringing more high end features to iPhone then TomTom. However, Navigon has much more advanced stand alone navigators then TomTom so Navigon can give us relatively advanced features without "sacrificing" stuff like their Real City 3D or other high end features of their 8410 / 8450 lineup. Unfortunately Navigon stand alone navigators are not available in US.... or it might be the reason why they are adding the advanced features on to their iPhone app... who knows...

Nuvi
Dec 17, 2009, 12:01 PM
i'm waiting for MacRumors to begin a News thread for Navigon v1.4 ... very newsworthy, and at $59.99 beats the socks off TomTom ... extra newsworthy. We'll see ...

...but TT has "holiday themed app store icons" aka big news. Navigon only has new version and NO XMAS ICONS aka not news worthy...

lordhamster
Dec 17, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm long time TomTom user and I have done parallel testing with my TT 930, TT iPhone and Navigon iPhone apps.

1. IQ Routes sound great and advanced but in reality I haven't seen any significant advantage. The routing advantages / disadvantages are more down to map data then anything else.
2. Navigon has option to avoid selected roads.
3. I've used Navigon with my iPhone 3G and 3G S. Both of them have worked without any problems. However, start up times on 3G were long although according to Navigon the 1.4 start up is snappier.

1. I agree that 95% of the time IQ routes does nothing... however playing with it extensively in the Cleveland area DOES show that during rushhour times it chooses better routes. For example, from my house to downtown it will avoid a stretch of highway during rushhours that is always congested. During off-peak times it will route my down that highway.

2. Can you s how me how to avoid a selected road in Navigon on the iPhone? Maybe because I had a Navigon PND I'm just looking in the wrong place, but I can't for the life of me find it. The BLOCK function is the only thing even close I've been able to find.

3. You didn't find version 1.3 of navigon to be slow on the button presses? Mine was really sluggish... even more so if I was playing music in the background.

comatose81
Dec 17, 2009, 12:32 PM
1. I agree that 95% of the time IQ routes does nothing... however playing with it extensively in the Cleveland area DOES show that during rushhour times it chooses better routes. For example, from my house to downtown it will avoid a stretch of highway during rushhours that is always congested. During off-peak times it will route my down that highway.

I wish I could see this in action, because it sounds awesome. However, every route I had it calculate ended up being the same as Navigon. I think it avoided a school zone the other day for me, but I'm not 100% sure. Still, it generally takes me to traffic-clogged areas even at rush-hour.

2. Can you s how me how to avoid a selected road in Navigon on the iPhone? Maybe because I had a Navigon PND I'm just looking in the wrong place, but I can't for the life of me find it. The BLOCK function is the only thing even close I've been able to find.

It only has Block, which does not avoid specific roads. The new turn list doesn't let you avoid any of the segments, which was a major disappointment. I don't know how this can't be in there yet.

3. You didn't find version 1.3 of navigon to be slow on the button presses? Mine was really sluggish... even more so if I was playing music in the background.

Navigon 1.3 was painfully slow most of the time. It got to the point where I just couldn't even use the iPod controls. By the time I got it to add songs and play them, I was at my destination. I found it better to just load my iPod up beforehand and then load Navigon.

I have to say 1.4 seems a lot faster. It loads a little faster, but the options menu comes up really fast now. It recalculates me almost instantly if I go off the route and the voice instructions don't lag behind.

Now, that's not to say its acceptable, because it's not, but it's a lot better.

comatose81
Dec 17, 2009, 12:35 PM
Regarding the TomTom iPhone apps lack of advanced features is most likely due to their product positioning strategy. TomTom iPhone app isn't designed to be state of the art navigation software. Its entry level product which doesn't compete with their own stand alone products. It seems Navigon has chosen different policy in which it is bringing more high end features to iPhone then TomTom. However, Navigon has much more advanced stand alone navigators then TomTom so Navigon can give us relatively advanced features without "sacrificing" stuff like their Real City 3D or other high end features of their 8410 / 8450 lineup. Unfortunately Navigon stand alone navigators are not available in US.... or it might be the reason why they are adding the advanced features on to their iPhone app... who knows...

What "advanced features" does TomTom lack besides traffic? I can't think of much that Navigon does that TomTom can't do... they both have reality view, which is really the only "advanced" thing I can think of. I personally think Navigon does most of these things better (i.e., better TTS, better instructions, better map, etc), but I don't really see what TomTom can't do. In the area of re-routing options, TomTom destroys Navigon unless you take traffic into consideration.

lordhamster
Dec 17, 2009, 12:59 PM
I wish I could see this in action, because it sounds awesome. However, every route I had it calculate ended up being the same as Navigon. I think it avoided a school zone the other day for me, but I'm not 100% sure. Still, it generally takes me to traffic-clogged areas even at rush-hour.

Go to routes.tomtom.com this is a near mapping application from tomtom that lets you set your departure to different times of day to see the effect IQ routes has. Like I said, 95% of the time you won't see if... but for some routes time makes a difference.

comatose81
Dec 17, 2009, 01:14 PM
Go to routes.tomtom.com this is a near mapping application from tomtom that lets you set your departure to different times of day to see the effect IQ routes has. Like I said, 95% of the time you won't see if... but for some routes time makes a difference.

Hmmm... it must just be the area I live in because it just keeps taking me the same way regardless of what time of day I specify. I know that some of the alternates might not be fast enough to make it recalculate, but one of the trips I planned I know is absolutely faster to go around the interstate... weird. Maybe they don't have enough data for my area.

Cool app, though. I was able to get it to calculate a different route for one trip I planned, even though I never actually make that trip, and I agreed with its alternative.

Nuvi
Dec 17, 2009, 01:30 PM
What "advanced features" does TomTom lack besides traffic? I can't think of much that Navigon does that TomTom can't do... they both have reality view, which is really the only "advanced" thing I can think of. I personally think Navigon does most of these things better (i.e., better TTS, better instructions, better map, etc), but I don't really see what TomTom can't do. In the area of re-routing options, TomTom destroys Navigon unless you take traffic into consideration.

Google POI search, pedestrian mode, real signpost view (or what ever they call it), coordinate input etc. Advanced meaning more then pure straight forward basic navigation. As I said before it seems TomTom isn't willing to compete with their high end models hence the TT One comparable features. Regarding general feature comparison check out what Navigon and TomTom have in their stand alone lineup. Kind of gives you idea what they could incorporate if they really wanted to. If you mean manual re-routing its true TomTom has advantage. However, I really haven't had any major issues with Navigon (and I have the Live Traffic service).

Nuvi
Dec 17, 2009, 01:47 PM

2. Unfortunately it doesn't allow you to block by long sections. You have the street blocking and avoidance by road type (but I guess you mean blocking by sections).

3. I have used 1.2 with 3G but when 1.3 was released I already had my 3G S... So no 1.3 has been "snappy" aka no delays at all with or without music.

comatose81
Dec 17, 2009, 01:48 PM
Google POI search, pedestrian mode, real signpost view (or what ever they call it), coordinate input etc. Advanced meaning more then pure straight forward basic navigation. As I said before it seems TomTom isn't willing to compete with their high end models hence the TT One comparable features. Regarding general feature comparison check out what Navigon and TomTom have in their stand alone lineup. Kind of gives you idea what they could incorporate if they really wanted to. If you mean manual re-routing its true TomTom has advantage. However, I really haven't had any major issues with Navigon (and I have the Live Traffic service).

If you're talking about the "reality view" where the app switches to a view of the lanes and signs you need to follow, TomTom has that as well in the newest version. What they don't have that Navigon has is the green text at the top when you are navigating on the map that tells you the sign text to follow. That is an advantage Navigon has, but the lane assist thing is in both.

I personally don't care about pedestrian mode or coordinate input... I can use Google Maps for pedestrian mode as I think it actually works better.

The Google Search is a big feature for Navigon, but I think everyone would just prefer a better POI database. The Google Search results don't have phone numbers in them, which limits its usefulness a bit, and if you lose your data connection for some reason, you're in trouble. I don't mean to minimize what it does, but TomTom's stock POI database is ridiculously huge... Navigon is using Google to bail their pitiful database out.

Nuvi
Dec 17, 2009, 04:08 PM
The Google Search is a big feature for Navigon, but I think everyone would just prefer a better POI database. The Google Search results don't have phone numbers in them, which limits its usefulness a bit, and if you lose your data connection for some reason, you're in trouble. I don't mean to minimize what it does, but TomTom's stock POI database is ridiculously huge... Navigon is using Google to bail their pitiful database out.

Google local search about finding "random" business locations. I can't see Tele Atlas or Navteq adding all those ever changing locations that Google Local Search gives you. It more useful that they are dynamically updated. Regarding POI databases in general it seems to depend on location. In Europe at least Navteq has far superior database compared to Tele Atlas which is crap and out of date (I have TT stand alone, TT iPhone and Navigon iPhone). Regarding the baling out aspect I don't think its what you said. After all TomTom's top of the line navigators have Google Local Search.

navguy
Dec 17, 2009, 04:17 PM

... but still missing RT traffic so basing decisions on history ... hard to drive only looking through the rear view mirror

lordhamster
Dec 17, 2009, 04:20 PM
Google local search about finding "random" business locations. I can't see Tele Atlas or Navteq adding all those ever changing locations that Google Local Search gives you. It more useful that they are dynamically updated. Regarding POI databases in general it seems to depend on location. In Europe at least Navteq has far superior database compared to Tele Atlas which is crap and out of date (I have TT stand alone, TT iPhone and Navigon iPhone). Regarding the baling out aspect I don't think its what you said. After all TomTom's top of the line navigators have Google Local Search.

Nuvi, I think the problem isn't the size of Navigon's POI database but rather the retarded implementation.

For example. If I'm further than 10 miles away from my local Marriot, then I will NEVER find it in Navigon's standard (non-google) poi DB.

Example:

Nearby search -- No good, I'm too far
Search in City -- No good, I put in Cleveland when the hotel I want is in a suburb called Beachwood. I should have searched for beachwood as the city, but I didn't know that city even existed till just now.
Search in State -- Will only find Significant landmarks like Parks, airports etc.

That Navigon critically needs google.

TomTom's database I think is just as good/bad as Navigon's but their search for a poi function isn't as finicky about knowing the exact city name.

navguy
Dec 17, 2009, 07:37 PM
Nuvi, I think the problem isn't the size of Navigon's POI database but rather the retarded implementation.

... i use "on route POI" 90% of the time and then it comes down to # and accuracy of POI ... Navigon is sufficient; tho Google is much better (but not avail 'on route' currently)

... the other 10% are to look for something very nearby, so Navigon's distance is fine; and Google is perfect

if i'm planning activities in a different city or particular area, i typically use a computer

Nuvi
Dec 18, 2009, 06:21 AM

For example. If I'm further than 10 miles away from my local Marriot, then I will NEVER find it in Navigon's standard (non-google) poi DB.

Example:

Nearby search -- No good, I'm too far
Search in City -- No good, I put in Cleveland when the hotel I want is in a suburb called Beachwood. I should have searched for beachwood as the city, but I didn't know that city even existed till just now.
Search in State -- Will only find Significant landmarks like Parks, airports etc.

That Navigon critically needs google.

TomTom's database I think is just as good/bad as Navigon's but their search for a poi function isn't as finicky about knowing the exact city name.

I think both TomTom and Navigon are crap at categories when it comes down to searching the POI's. IMHO, the only difference I have noticed is that Navigon (Navteq) has the POI data and TomTom (TeleAtlas) doesn't. Honestly, what I've noticed is that TomTom is the one that needs the Google search since the lack of POI's. There must be huge differences in regional data.

lordhamster
Dec 18, 2009, 07:10 AM
I think both TomTom and Navigon are crap at categories when it comes down to searching the POI's. IMHO, the only difference I have noticed is that Navigon (Navteq) has the POI data and TomTom (TeleAtlas) doesn't. Honestly, what I've noticed is that TomTom is the one that needs the Google search since the lack of POI's. There must be huge differences in regional data.

Honestly I have to say its a tossup. I always test POI DBs by throwing a handful of places I go to frequently at it. I'll try a mix of restaurants, hotels, shopping centers etc to see how easy it would be to find these if I didn't know the area.

I have to say as far as POIs being in there, it is a tossup. I like the way Navigon allows you to zoom in and out of the minimap. Helps me to see if the POI I've selected is indeed the one I want before navigating to it.

However, ever since my Navigon 8100T the city name thing was a real problem. on the 8100T PND it was easy to fix though, I simply changed the config file to make "nearby" be 50 miles.

On the iPhone program having to know the exact city name as it appears in the address is a MAJOR MAJOR problem IMO. Like the example I gave, even if you know the name of the POI exactly, unless you search the exact correct suburb name you ain't gonna find it... even if its in there.

It seems that Navigon makes its query look something like this:

select POIs from POIDB WHERE City = "Whateveruserputin"

whereas TomTom's query is more like this

select POIs from POIDB WHERE POI IS NEAR("Whateveruserputin", 100 mile radius)

Is that restaurant my friend invited me to in Westlake or Avon Lake? hmmm lets try Westlake... nope. Lets try Avon Lake... nope. How about just Avon... aah there it is!

That scenario is much less of a pain in the ass on the TomTom.

Again, my gripe is not the contents of the DB. I think Navigon and TomTom's POI DB are sufficient for my purposes. The implementation gets me.

PS. If I'm in a strange city not looking for a specific POI but rather just browsing... I prefer Navigon because of how it groups POIs by major Chains.

navguy
Dec 19, 2009, 03:45 PM
...but TT has "holiday themed app store icons" aka big news. Navigon only has new version and NO XMAS ICONS aka not news worthy...

You must be right!?! :confused: embarrassing ..

comatose81
Jan 13, 2010, 08:33 AM
Anyone else find it funny that since this sale has ended, TomTom set it's "normal" price to $79.99 (down from $99.99) - undercutting Navigon's $89.99?

navguy
Jan 13, 2010, 09:55 AM
Anyone else find it funny that since this sale has ended, TomTom set it's "normal" price to $79.99 (down from $99.99) - undercutting Navigon's $89.99?

Yes, a signal that they realize they're providing less "value" than Navigon (hopefully! otherwise they're just being random about their pricing strategy, vry embarassing) ... TomTom leading price compression, who would have thunk it.