PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Brings Bing to the iPhone

MacRumors
Dec 16, 2009, 09:05 AM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/16/microsoft-brings-bing-to-the-iphone/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/12/16/095827-bing_1.jpg http://images.macrumors.com/article/2009/12/16/095827-bing_2.jpg

Microsoft yesterday announced (http://www.bing.com/community/blogs/search/archive/2009/12/15/bing-for-mobile-comes-to-the-iphone.aspx) the introduction of Bing [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/bing/id345323231?mt=8), Free], an iPhone application offering direct access to the company's new search engine.

Aside from traditional topic searches, the application offers image search, movie times, maps and directions, business listings, and news search. Bing also utilizes geolocation to automatically provide movie listings in the user's area and to provide a default starting location of map-based directions.Make decisions and get where you need to go with Bing. See the Bing daily image and related trivia on the home screen. Search maps or the web with your voice - even say an address. Use Image Search and flick through previews Download Bing today to find stuff nearby and get there fast.Voice search very similar to that offered (http://www.macrumors.com/2008/11/17/googles-voice-enabled-search-for-iphone-now-available/) in Google Mobile App is also supported. Our investments in voice search (you may have played with them on Windows phones or BlackBerry already) continues in our iPhone App and works great for map locations as well as old fashioned web search. Just say "San Francisco weather," for a quick result, or even say a full address for a map or directions. Try something complex, like "1 Microsoft Way, Redmond 98052." (Yes, I know how to get to work.) Hold the phone to your ear and speak, or press the mic button -- simple.The iPhone version of Bing joins existing versions for Windows Mobile, BlackBerry, and Sidekick, as well as a basic mobile-formatted version (http://m.bing.com) of the site.

Article Link: Microsoft Brings Bing to the iPhone (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2009/12/16/microsoft-brings-bing-to-the-iphone/)

Becordial
Dec 16, 2009, 09:13 AM
Welcome to innovation-land Microsoft. We've missed you for a while, so it's nice of you to drop by.

Seriously though, Bing has some promise and so it's nice to see MS not be petty and get this app out to us. There's a good chance that it's a great app and will be nice to use.

igazza
Dec 16, 2009, 09:17 AM
Not bad, Did i hear somewhere they were making MSN messenger?

mapas
Dec 16, 2009, 09:18 AM
Welcome to innovation-land Microsoft. We've missed you for a while, so it's nice of you to drop by.

Seriously though, Bing has some promise and so it's nice to see MS not be petty and get this app out to us. There's a good chance that it's a great app and will be nice to use.

I quite like it too.

The map implementation is quite good. I love the zoom in/out and the fact that traffic updates do not cover streets/street names. much better than google. Also i love the zoom out button... you can zoom in by double tapping and you can zoom out without forcing you to use two fingers.

Also the image search is really good!!!!

BornAgainMac
Dec 16, 2009, 09:28 AM
I would like to see some games from Microsoft next.

casik
Dec 16, 2009, 09:38 AM
Wish they woulda named their search engine something different tho.... Reminds me of Chandler from Friends waaaaay too much lol.

skeep5
Dec 16, 2009, 09:56 AM
Bing huh. I thought crazy bald microsoft CEOs just stomped on iPhones, not developed for them. lame!

mapas
Dec 16, 2009, 09:57 AM
Wish they woulda named their search engine something different tho.... Reminds me of Chandler from Friends waaaaay too much lol.

yes because "google" is better..

My name is Chandler Google!

starflyer
Dec 16, 2009, 09:59 AM

It reminds me of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0YLD_9lRGU

*LTD*
Dec 16, 2009, 10:00 AM
Bing huh. I thought crazy bald microsoft CEOs just stomped on iPhones, not developed for them. lame!

Maybe Bing will be relevant now.

libertyforall
Dec 16, 2009, 10:10 AM
The app is worthless to me, as it does NOT display the Bing Cashback & Shopping search results too. This is a feature that holiday shoppers would be interested in...

nwcs
Dec 16, 2009, 10:11 AM
I'll download it after work but it looks pretty good -- and a good idea. Besides, I secretly enjoy it when MS writes stuff for the iPhone. :)

daneoni
Dec 16, 2009, 10:20 AM
Am i the only one who would rather have this integrated into Safari. I'm all for app grown but instead of an app for a search engine how about the MSN IM client instead

alexk82
Dec 16, 2009, 10:23 AM
well just their home page i love the little pieces of information of the picture. as for search never really used it. but i'll try out this app.

rwilliams
Dec 16, 2009, 10:28 AM
This app is really, really good. So much so that I'm getting rid of the Google Mobile app. It's about time that Microsoft made something fresh and fun to use.

BeyondtheTech
Dec 16, 2009, 10:34 AM
Damn, I just got my first BSOD on my iPhone. Time to uninstall. ;)

Superdrive
Dec 16, 2009, 10:36 AM
I'm tempted to download this as it almost looks useful. I've not once ever had to do a "Bing" search just because I dislike the name. The Google search app doesn't do much for me either though. If I need to search, why wouldn't I just open Safari or Maps?

RaZaK
Dec 16, 2009, 10:37 AM
How long before we confirm it as the least downloaded app...ever? lol :D

mstrze
Dec 16, 2009, 10:39 AM
I'm actually going to download it. :D

mstrze
Dec 16, 2009, 10:46 AM
Nice! I LOVE the voice recognition stuff. And the mapping is pretty cool.

Superdrive
Dec 16, 2009, 11:29 AM
OK, so I downloaded it. After a few minutes of poking around, it gets to stay on the iPhone. The maps and directions will be the best fit I think. The app looks and feels good.

mstrze
Dec 16, 2009, 11:38 AM
The only issue I am having is you have to be within a certain sub-menu to do a specific search.

Example: I tried to speak a search for "driving direction from here to Kingwood, TX" and got web and image results for it.

If this were an Apple app, it would realize I wanted a map and driving directions and set me up with that map and solution.

Still, when on the map and speaking Kingwood I got great directions. :)

So far I remain impressed with especially the voice recognition.

Caliber26
Dec 16, 2009, 11:52 AM
Not bad, Did i hear somewhere they were making MSN messenger?

I don't know. Did you? If so, where?

dwd3885
Dec 16, 2009, 12:04 PM
Am i the only one who would rather have this integrated into Safari. I'm all for app grown but instead of an app for a search engine how about the MSN IM client instead

Do you mean like a web app? You can't integrate into Safari because Apple doesn't allow it.

kghoops
Dec 16, 2009, 12:25 PM
Downloaded it to see how the maps were. I don't like the fact that my highlighted route covers over the colors for the traffic indicator so I can't see if it's showing red, green or yellow along the highway route.

Seemed to be out of focus too for some reason. Maybe I was zoomed in too far.

daneoni
Dec 16, 2009, 12:27 PM
Do you mean like a web app? You can't integrate into Safari because Apple doesn't allow it.

Why not?...Google & Safari are both search engine options in Safari.

Then again it does have a lot of features that can't be tied to a browser so i guess a dedicated app would be the logical step

mstrze
Dec 16, 2009, 12:29 PM
Seemed to be out of focus too for some reason. Maybe I was zoomed in too far.

That's a network issue. The one thing I noticed is it is SLOW to pull in new map info. I imagine if you wait another 20-30 seconds at that zoom level, it would have turned out a lot crisper.

The integrated Google Maps info on the iPhone is mucho faster.

paulmoscow
Dec 16, 2009, 12:33 PM
Do they ever test new software at Microsoft? Voice search always crashes on my phone and they can't even check for empty strings: "We did not find any results for (null)."

mstrze
Dec 16, 2009, 01:01 PM
Do they ever test new software at Microsoft? Voice search always crashes on my phone and they can't even check for empty strings: "We did not find any results for (null)."

Weird...I have done probably 20 voice searches without issue....AND have not had one null result. A few misspellings, within reason...as I was trying to think of odd words to trip it up.

Running an iPhone 3G with the latest software update as of last week when i last synced.

MacFly123
Dec 16, 2009, 01:36 PM
Bing!

Microsoft just reminds me of Ned in 'Groundhog Day' now lol. Needle nose Ned, Ned the Head, Case Western High... lol. VERY fitting for Microsoft! Bing, you lose! :p

paulmoscow
Dec 16, 2009, 02:16 PM
Weird...I have done probably 20 voice searches without issue....
I'm not alone. There're several reviews in the App Store about such crashes. And that's exactly what I've written above: the software is not tested at all, it's an alpha version at best.

YellowMac
Dec 16, 2009, 03:21 PM
I'm not alone. There're several reviews in the App Store about such crashes. And that's exactly what I've written above: the software is not tested at all, it's an alpha version at best.

I had the same crashing issues with voice and null errors with maps until i set my language to English and reset the phone. everything works peachy, now.

iphones4evry1
Dec 16, 2009, 04:08 PM
I would like to see someone type a full review of Google App versus Bing App, detailing the areas where each excels over the other.

kdarling
Dec 16, 2009, 05:53 PM
This app is really, really good. So much so that I'm getting rid of the Google Mobile app. It's about time that Microsoft made something fresh and fun to use.

A lot of people on other smartphones have been using Windows Live Search (aka Bing) in place of Google maps for a while now. For one thing, you're not limited to ten results.

You should also try Bing on a desktop... check out the "birds eye" view of your map searches instead of just the map or satellite view. It's like using Google Earth to rotate around a 3D view, not just overhead.

Pretty impressive.

Jeff321
Dec 16, 2009, 07:49 PM
Cool app. Voice searches could use work. Image viewing is nice. I think it pre-loads image results so you can swipe to the next one instantly. Voice directions were perfect. Speak an address and it maps it. Directions in general might be better than the standard maps app. News and Movies seem pretty simplistic but they work.

Definitely worth a try even if you're a Google fan.

army91c
Dec 16, 2009, 10:44 PM
I dl it and think it kicks butt. Very helpful and the voice recon is bang on for me. A def keeper.

doug in albq
Dec 17, 2009, 04:21 AM
nice app

voice search for iPod touch with external mic...nice!

i don't think Google Mobile has voice for the iPod touch.

navguy
Dec 18, 2009, 04:03 PM
Nice end of week 1 rank ... out ranking Google! Absolutely amazing ...

NightFox
Dec 21, 2009, 03:10 AM
How long before we confirm it as the least downloaded app...ever? lol :D

er, a very, very long time?

ct2k7
Dec 25, 2009, 02:05 PM
It's disappeared from the UK app store :o

ajreeves37
Jan 31, 2010, 10:04 AM
It's disappeared from the UK app store :o

I can find it in the US store, but not in the UK? Microsoft or Apple to blame?

ct2k7
Jan 31, 2010, 11:19 AM
I can find it in the US store, but not in the UK? Microsoft or Apple to blame?

I don't know, I'll contact Bing.

Pika
Jan 31, 2010, 05:34 PM
Bing is not for canadians :(

partyBoy
Jan 31, 2010, 05:35 PM
Bing sucks...Enough said.

McBeats
Feb 1, 2010, 12:47 AM
yea i must say this app isnt too bad, its gonna stay on my touch for a lil bit, see how it works out.

alvindarkness
Feb 2, 2010, 06:51 PM
not available in the aussie itunes store.. and was so looking forward to trying it out too.

ct2k7
Feb 3, 2010, 01:03 PM
Here's the official word from bing:

The Bing app for iPhone is only supported in the US for now. Until we expand support, try m.bing.com from your phone. ^mp

kicko
Feb 9, 2010, 08:57 AM
I have used Bing! for over a month and i dont really see much better search results over google. Last night i typed in song lyrics for a song i was not sure of, Bing was all over the place, didnt pick up the song at all. Then i popped on google and typed in the same search, BAM it found the song perfectly!

I'm sure there are advantages over both but i think i'm sticking with google search as a default. Maybe i can meet a nice french girl too lol!