Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

_yetta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
Hey,

I'm new to the mac world and I would like to purchase and ibook. I was planning on buying:

12 inch ibook
Memory: 512 mb
Hard Drive: 60 gb
Airport Extreme Card
Apple Care
Combo drive

I also plan on using the cram and jam in addition to my educational discount, but I'm not sure if I should just wait for the new model, if there will be one. What does everyone think? I can certainly wait, but do you think the wait will be worth it? I plan on using the ibook to write, as I'm a writer, also use the imovie feature to edit some films I've made over the yrs, play the occasional game and watch the occasional movie. I'm 17 so I still have another yr till college but my brother is currently in law school so I figured I'd loan it to him when he needed it for school (he's also buying it for me as a gift). We currently share a dell desktop which is in his room, so to get a laptop would not only be great for me (I can write whereever, whenever, go online around my house..itll be great) but for him as well, he can have his room to himself.

So thats my story, any advice will be greatly appreciated!​

invaLPsion

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2004
The Northlands
_yetta said:
Hey,

I'm new to the mac world and I would like to purchase and ibook. I was planning on buying:

12 inch ibook
Airport Extreme Card
Apple Care
Combo drive

I also plan on using the cram and jam in addition to my educational discount, but I'm not sure if I should just wait for the new model, if there will be one. What does everyone think? I can certainly wait, but do you think the wait will be worth it? I plan on using the ibook to write, as I'm a writer, also use the imovie feature to edit some films I've made over the yrs, play the occasional game and watch the occasional movie. I'm 17 so I still have another yr till college but my brother is currently in law school so I figured I'd loan it to him when he needed it for school (he's also buying it for me as a gift). We currently share a dell desktop which is in his room, so to get a laptop would not only be great for me (I can write whereever, whenever, go online around my house..itll be great) but for him as well, he can have his room to himself.

(pure speculation) The next iBook update will likely be in October or November. My guess is that the speeds will be at either 1.2GHz and 1.4GHz or 1.33GHz and 1.5GHz.

_yetta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
invaLPsion said:
(pure speculation) The next iBook update will likely be in October or November. My guess is that the speeds will be at either 1.2GHz and 1.4GHz or 1.33GHz and 1.5GHz.

Hm..would you wait?

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Not really on topic, but you might be better off getting a Powerbook. Since you are a writer, you will like the nicer keyboard of the Powerbook. Plus if you are upgrading to a 60gb, and getting an airport card, both standard on a Powerbook, the price difference probably wouldn't be too much, maybe a couple hundred dollars at most. Plus you'll get the faster processor, better video card, bluetooth, smaller/sleeker casing, better resale value, better speakers, faster bus speed, etc.... It will end up being well worth it.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
Aha, I forget to think about the keyboard. In that case, I second the powerbook.

_yetta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
KevRC4130 said:
Not really on topic, but you might be better off getting a Powerbook. Since you are a writer, you will like the nicer keyboard of the Powerbook. Plus if you are upgrading to a 60gb, and getting an airport card, both standard on a Powerbook, the price difference probably wouldn't be too much, maybe a couple hundred dollars at most. Plus you'll get the faster processor, better video card, bluetooth, smaller/sleeker casing, better resale value, better speakers, faster bus speed, etc.... It will end up being well worth it.

At the appleworld community at livejournal, not sure if your familiar with it, but I got a lot of advice, and someone actually said that the ibook would be better for me just because all I do is write and the powerbook is more for the buisness man.

You did make a great point so I think now I will consider the powerbook, but isn't the casing less durable than the ibook?

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
_yetta said:
At the appleworld community at livejournal, not sure if your familiar with it, but I got a lot of advice, and someone actually said that the ibook would be better for me just because all I do is write and the powerbook is more for the buisness man.

You did make a great point so I think now I will consider the powerbook, but isn't the casing less durable than the ibook?

Less durable, but there are many protective cases. Try to feel both of the keyboards before you buy them, that way you can see which is most comfortable :)

thehuncamunca

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2003
NJ
i'd get it now, the next model will probably only be a slight processor boost and at the earliest will come in october/november (once cram and jam is over so you can't use that)
cram and jam is a nice promo and there won't be nice promos after it (until next summer for another one probably)

_yetta said:
Hey,

12 inch ibook
Airport Extreme Card
Apple Care
Combo drive

_yetta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
KevRC4130 said:

I just looked up the powerbooks and aside from the whole "durabilty" thing I've heard about, I LOVE IT! Thank you so much! Its cheaper than the ibook I wanted and it has more stuff standard with it. Thanks a lot! I'm glad I posted here!

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Get the iBook now with the cram and jam deal, if you are mainly a writer don't worry about the powerbooks.

_yetta

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2004
thehuncamunca said:
i'd get it now, the next model will probably only be a slight processor boost and at the earliest will come in october/november (once cram and jam is over so you can't use that)
cram and jam is a nice promo and there won't be nice promos after it (until next summer for another one probably)

Yeah the cram and jam really has me sold..thanks!

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
_yetta said:
I just looked up the powerbooks and aside from the whole "durabilty" thing I've heard about, I LOVE IT! Thank you so much! Its cheaper than the ibook I wanted and it has more stuff standard with it. Thanks a lot! I'm glad I posted here!

How are the iBooks more durable than PBs? Do you mean scratches, dents, cracks...!?!?! Does that mean that PBs aren't very durable? I've been looking into getting a PB for a couple of weeks now.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Natalia81 said:
How are the iBooks more durable than PBs? Do you mean scratches, dents, cracks...!?!?! Does that mean that PBs aren't very durable? I've been looking into getting a PB for a couple of weeks now.

PB's seem to be more durable in minor cases, such as scratches or cracks, since the metal is better with these kinds of things. But, if you drop either one, you're more likely to get permanent damage with a powerbook, such as dents, whereas the plastic iBook wont do much.

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
KevRC4130 said:
PB's seem to be more durable in minor cases, such as scratches or cracks, since the metal is better with these kinds of things. But, if you drop either one, you're more likely to get permanent damage with a powerbook, such as dents, whereas the plastic iBook wont do much.

Oh that's it. That is understandable. I thought there were design flaws or something with the casing that I should be worried about.

Kingsnapped

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Natalia81 said:

What surprised me about the durability of my Powerbook, compared to my friend's G3 iBook was the durability of the LCD. On my friends screen if you gripped it, the screen would "shimmer". When I got my Powerbook, I was very surprised that the thinner screen didn't give at all if I gripped it. As long as you keep it safe in a bag, "durability" is no reason to choose an iBook over a Powerbook.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
i just bought my girlfriend an ibook after my old pb she was using crapped out (well not completely - in fact it is working again and I'm am going to sell it soon - that'll be in another thread). Anyway, exact same spec as the one you want except get it with just 256 mb ram. Using the money saved by not buying ram at the Apple store get a 512 mb stick somewhere else instead. I also got me a 20 GB ipod for $69 after the rebate (what a deal!!!!). She is a poet and English major and absolutely loves it - especially the keyboard which she says is more like how pencil feels on paper than the pb's keyboard. More personal - or something like that; I dunno, I don't get that either.

THe ibook is way more durable, the case does not warp nearly as much and takes more of a beating when traveling. Yes, the case scratches more than the pb, but it really isn't noticeable except at the right angle in the right light. Anyway - the ibook is a fine choice.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
dswoodley said:
THe ibook is way more durable, the case does not warp nearly as much and takes more of a beating when traveling. Yes, the case scratches more than the pb, but it really isn't noticeable except at the right angle in the right light. Anyway - the ibook is a fine choice.

Keep in mind that Powerbook warping is really only on earlier models, if you get a Rev. C (the newest one, what you'd get if you buy from the Apple store), you don't need to worry about it.

dswoodley

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
KevRC4130 said:
Keep in mind that Powerbook warping is really only on earlier models, if you get a Rev. C (the newest one, what you'd get if you buy from the Apple store), you don't need to worry about it.

on the bottom yes, on the lid - not quite, it still warps considerably more than the ibook lid. I've seen this is the rev b 15 inchers and the rev c 12 incher. Most of the users I know don't care about the lid warping, but a couple do.

web_god61

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
I'm waiting till the next update to see wats gonna be avalible but if your gonna use the cram n jam thing mybe you should consider getting it sooner, in the end it depends on how long your willing to wait, you probly gonna save money later on since the laptops r gonna be upgraded no need to do the upgrades yourself... unless you get the powerbook.

No one metion Compatibility with CoreImage n CoreVideo for PB.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't get it. If that's all you're going to do, an iBook G3 would be good. You really don't need a more intense processor than a 1GHz G4, so just get it now and get the iPod. You're making the right choice. ;)

And the iBook is definitely more durable in almost every respect, but the keyboard on the PB is so sweet, and it looks much better as well. It only cost me $100 more than the iBook I wanted, so that price difference was definitely worth it.

SolidGun

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2004
Twin Cities
I was in your shoes 2 weeks ago....I started with an iBook and now own the 12" PowerBook with superdrive.
While I don't recommend the superdrive upgrade, I strongly urge you to buy a PowerBook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.